• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey guys, if someone wants to try the beta and wasn't selected for it I have another code! The first one asking for it will get the code.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Hey guys, if someone wants to try the beta and wasn't selected for it I have another code! The first one asking for it will get the code.
Well, I come from Europe, so I don't know, but I'll ask for a code anyway.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, I come from Europe, so I don't know, but I'll ask for a code anyway.
Honestly I don't know if codes are separated by different places or something like that, in any case, I'm from Europe so even with that the code should work for you.
I'll send you a PM.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Do you guys think Sol will come with vocal tracks if he gets in? Does anyone here actually know how the licensing works with Naoki Hashimoto being included?
As for tracks I'm sure he'll come with The Midnight Carnival and Holy Orders, they're as iconic as Guilty Gear itself!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you guys think Sol will come with vocal tracks if he gets in? Does anyone here actually know how the licensing works with Naoki Hashimoto being included?
As for tracks I'm sure he'll come with The Midnight Carnival and Holy Orders, they're as iconic as Guilty Gear itself!
With licensing issues for Smash, it's when someone else owns the music rights, in the case of Guilty Gear, Ishiwatari would have full ownership if his situation was like Sawano or Uematsu, which isn't a problem considering he's the guy behind the entire damn franchise

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
With licensing issues for Smash, it's when someone else owns the music rights, in the case of Guilty Gear, Ishiwatari would have full ownership if his situation was like Sawano or Uematsu, which isn't a problem considering he's the guy behind the entire damn franchise
Ah, that's nice news then. I would've thought Daisuke co-owned the vocal tracks with Naoki Hashimoto, which maybe could've complicated some things in terms of music. My ultimate dream of having The Mayship as a stage in Smash with "The Ship" playing in the background is still alive and well!
Hopefully if he does come, we'll get quite a handful of tracks. Maybe pull an SNK and include songs from other ASW franchises if they want to go the extra mile, but I doubt it would happen. (BlazBlue maybe?)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ah, that's nice news then. I would've thought Daisuke co-owned the vocal tracks with Naoki Hashimoto, which maybe could've complicated some things in terms of music. My ultimate dream of having The Mayship as a stage in Smash with "The Ship" playing in the background is still alive and well!
Hopefully if he does come, we'll get quite a handful of tracks. Maybe pull an SNK and include songs from other ASW franchises if they want to go the extra mile, but I doubt it would happen. (BlazBlue maybe?)
That would be nice. I guess you're talking about "Blue Water Blue Sky", I don't recall any song named "The Ship", btw.

About the SNK treatment, that would be difficult. Not impossible tho, I could see Blazblue getting some representation if Sol's happens, but other ASW franchises I don't really know. I could see Blazblue because, while not related, they have more in common than Kunio, for example.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
That would be nice. I guess you're talking about "Blue Water Blue Sky", I don't recall any song named "The Ship", btw.

About the SNK treatment, that would be difficult. Not impossible tho, I could see Blazblue getting some representation if Sol's happens, but other ASW franchises I don't really know. I could see Blazblue because, while not related, they have more in common than Kunio, for example.
Yeah, I definitely agree. While I can maybe see Kunio-kun have a Mii costume if Sol drops, if there were more songs from other ASW franchises they'd include, they would definitely be BlazBlue ones. Though not technically an ASW property (being from French Bread), UNIST could get a Mii Costume too, with how ASW has been publishing the recent entries worldwide now.

As for "The Ship", I was referring to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sloZpC1VI0
It's definitely my favourite vocal track of the entire franchise, so having it in Smash would be a feverdream. And I find it quite fitting with the Mayship! Though it is one of the more relatively unknown songs in the franchise... so I'd say the chances are pretty slim.
"Blue Water Blue Sky" would surely be included with Sol, it's a very popular track.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, I definitely agree. While I can maybe see Kunio-kun have a Mii costume if Sol drops, if there were more songs from other ASW franchises they'd include, they would definitely be BlazBlue ones. Though not technically an ASW property (being from French Bread), UNIST could get a Mii Costume too, with how ASW has been publishing the recent entries worldwide now.

As for "The Ship", I was referring to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sloZpC1VI0
It's definitely my favourite vocal track of the entire franchise, so having it in Smash would be a feverdream. And I find it quite fitting with the Mayship! Though it is one of the more relatively unknown songs in the franchise... so I'd say the chances are pretty slim.
"Blue Water Blue Sky" would surely be included with Sol, it's a very popular track.
Oh yeah, that song. I don't know why I thought you were talking about Blue Water Blue Sky hahaha
In the end almost all the Guilty Gear songs are great and it would be impossible to include every gem in Smash if Sol gets in. The only option to avoid that would be if ArcSys and Daisuke decide to be super generous, just like SNK with Terry, and give 30, 40 or 50 songs, which is unlikely but who knows! Maybe it could happen.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit tempted to pick this... that steelbook with Sol looks good

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This might be fun to answer, maybe if they see enough Switch players they might give us Strive

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Dang, for a moment I thought they were announcing Strive for a platform that I own. I feel that collectors edition could have at least included Xrd, but ah well, I'm not much of a physical junkie anymore to really care.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Dang, for a moment I thought they were announcing Strive for a platform that I own. I feel that collectors edition could have at least included Xrd, but ah well, I'm not much of a physical junkie anymore to really care.
Yeah the Switch could run Xrd, I mean, the console runs Dragon Ball FighterZ so...
I guess it's just because they don't seem to believe that porting Xrd would be worth. DB FighterZ made sense because it's ****ing Dragon Ball and with that in the title you're guaranteed to have good sales.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
That steelbook looks actually amazing, wow... Also Briget is finally getting acknowledged lmao, hopefully we'll see him in Strive next!

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I remember playing one of the older GG games and really liking it, i don't exactly remember which but i know Bridget was in it, since he was my main.
I came back to the series not long ago and i'm blown away by how good the more recent games look, like wow, i just love Arc's artstyle, it's really too perfect for fighting games.

Now i don't know how important he is in the franchise as a whole but if getting Sol in smash means having at least Bridget spirit as well, i'm more than happy to support everyone's favorite fiery beefy dude.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I remember playing one of the older GG games and really liking it, i don't exactly remember which but i know Bridget was in it, since he was my main.
I came back to the series not long ago and i'm blown away by how good the more recent games look, like wow, i just love Arc's artstyle, it's really too perfect for fighting games.

Now i don't know how important he is in the franchise as a whole but if getting Sol in smash means having at least Bridget spirit as well, i'm more than happy to support everyone's favorite fiery beefy dude.
Welcome. Nice to read your experience.

About Sol, well, he's the main character of the series, so he's basically the Ryu of Guilty Gear. Sol's also really relevant and important to the story of Guilty Gear.
A Bridget spirit would be nice, but it would be even better if Bridget returns for Guilty Gear Strive :D

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Welcome. Nice to read your experience.

About Sol, well, he's the main character of the series, so he's basically the Ryu of Guilty Gear. Sol's also really relevant and important to the story of Guilty Gear.
A Bridget spirit would be nice, but it would be even better if Bridget returns for Guilty Gear Strive :D
Thanks a bunch !
However, i know Sol is important to Guilty Gear, i was more talking about Bridget, i wanted to know if he was important enough to be included in a potential new spirit board.

toonito

Smash Ace
I've changed my most wanted character from Chun-Li to Sol because Guilty Gear doesn't have a playable character; SF has 2 and IIRC if Sol were to get in Ultimate it'd be the first time Capcom (Ryu/Ken), SNK (Terry), and Arc System Works (Sol) all had playable characters in the same game. 3 popular 2D fighting game characters (Mortal Kombat is in limbo when it comes to Japan and Tekken/Soul Calibur are 3D fighting games) duking it out would be dope to see. Chun-Li is 2nd.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Thanks a bunch !
However, i know Sol is important to Guilty Gear, i was more talking about Bridget, i wanted to know if he was important enough to be included in a potential new spirit board.
Bridget isn't important to the overall lore/story of Guilty Gear. He was just a bounty hunter who's only connection to the story was that he was after Dizzy's head (who at the time in X2 nearly the entire cast was after lmao). He then became a waiter in Jam's restaurant. We've had no further updates on him in Xrd sadly :(
But well, he might not be important to the overall story, but he sure is a fan-favourite! If Sakurai recognizes this, he might get his own spirit.

Talking about spirits, I can really see the Spirit Board featuring the OG cast (so basically the current roster of Strive lmao) with some important characters from later games, like Slayer and Valentine for example. Justice would definitely be the Legend-class spirit. Hopefully they'll use X2's art, I'm a sucker for that gothic-like art style.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've changed my most wanted character from Chun-Li to Sol because Guilty Gear doesn't have a playable character; SF has 2 and IIRC if Sol were to get in Ultimate it'd be the first time Capcom (Ryu/Ken), SNK (Terry), and Arc System Works (Sol) all had playable characters in the same game. 3 popular 2D fighting game characters (Mortal Kombat is in limbo when it comes to Japan and Tekken/Soul Calibur are 3D fighting games) duking it out would be dope to see. Chun-Li is 2nd.
Having ArcSys + Tekken in Smash would be great. I would include Mortal Kombat but honestly I think the chances for getting a MK rep are minimal.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, I'd say a GG spirit board would very likely feature the OG cast (although with Faust replacing baldman for obvious reason) with a few relatively important characters from later games like I-NO, Slayer, Sin, etc. I'm not sure where Dizzy would fall, Mai got completely axed for her appearance but then characters like Camilla got censored versions instead, so it's hard to tell. Either way, I doubt Bridget would be among the selected spirits unless GG got an extended board compared to other DLCs for whatever reason.
Talking about spirits, I can really see the Spirit Board featuring the OG cast (so basically the current roster of Strive lmao) with some important characters from later games, like Slayer and Valentine for example. Justice would definitely be the Legend-class spirit.
I'd say Ky and That Man could compete for the legendary spot, but sounds about accurate to what I'd expect otherwise.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd say a GG spirit board would very likely feature the OG cast (although with Faust replacing baldman for obvious reason) with a few relatively important characters from later games like I-NO, Slayer, Sin, etc. I'm not sure where Dizzy would fall, Mai got completely axed for her appearance but then characters like Camilla got censored versions instead, so it's hard to tell. Either way, I doubt Bridget would be among the selected spirits unless GG got an extended board compared to other DLCs for whatever reason.
You just brought up a very good point I hadn't thought about yet... I-NO, Dizzy and Valentine would either have to be censored or outright axed. Now they could easily censor I-NO and Valentine, they don't really reveal too much (though it'd look hella uncanny). But Dizzy is an entirely different beast, she really just reveals way too much. There's really no render of her where she hides it even a tiny bit. Good thing all the other female characters have suitable clothing... oof.

I'd say Ky and That Man could compete for the legendary spot, but sounds about accurate to what I'd expect otherwise.
Also good point. But with Justice and That Man being the big antagonists of the series, they'd be more fit for Legendary if we're looking at other DLC fighters for reference (Both Gruntilda and Geese are both the Legendary Spirits for their respective franchises). I can see Ky being a 3-star however.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
hey i support sol too, i love guilty gear

also i have a question for y'allz: what veterans do you guys want to see in gg strive
personally i wanna see zappa or testament come back

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

also i have a question for y'allz: what veterans do you guys want to see in gg strive
Seeing Zappa in the story mode of Xrd but not as a playable character was a kick in the guts. I seriously loved his playstyle, he was one of a kind.
Who I want to see return in Strive personally are Bridget and A.B.A easily. But to be fair, any character from the XX days will do.
Honestly, I'm more interested if Slayer will come back, he was my main most of the time.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Seeing Zappa in the story mode of Xrd but not as a playable character was a kick in the guts. I seriously loved his playstyle, he was one of a kind.
Who I want to see return in Strive personally are Bridget and A.B.A easily. But to be fair, any character from the XX days will do.
Honestly, I'm more interested if Slayer will come back, he was my main most of the time.
i think slayer depends
if the roster is like 16 characters, i think he's getting the boot
if it's bigger than that, he at least has a shot

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I hope so man, Slayer is easily my favourite character. I can hope for him to become DLC at this point.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
that said, if he doesn't make the roster, i think he's a near-guarantee for dlc

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
that said, if he doesn't make the roster, i think he's a near-guarantee for dlc
Honestly, he has been a regular for a long while now. I don't see why they wouldn't add him in the base game. Yet, there have already been 10 characters confirmed for the base game now and seeing that Strive was slated for a 2020 release (pre-Covid delay announcement) makes me think there are maybe about to be around 13 characters in the base release. The same amounts as Xrd Sign, may I mind you. I'm thinking they might fill the remaining 3 with 2 returning characters from Xrd, being Sin and Ramlethal and one being a brand-new character.
Hopefully I turn out to be wrong and there turns out to be more than 13, but hey I won't protest Slayer being part of the first Season Pass or something. Just don't make me wait long post-release lol. I really want to see my rad dandy vampire in this game.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly, he has been a regular for a long while now. I don't see why they wouldn't add him in the base game. Yet, there have already been 10 characters confirmed for the base game now and seeing that Strive was slated for a 2020 release (pre-Covid delay announcement) makes me think there are maybe about to be around 13 characters in the base release. The same amounts as Xrd Sign, may I mind you. I'm thinking they might fill the remaining 3 with 2 returning characters from Xrd, being Sin and Ramlethal and one being a brand-new character.
Hopefully I turn out to be wrong and there turns out to be more than 13, but hey I won't protest Slayer being part of the first Season Pass or something. Just don't make me wait long post-release lol. I really want to see my rad dandy vampire in this game.
the way i can see this roster play out if we get like 16 is
we've gotten the obvious ones out of the way now
so i can see the samurai dude and at least one other new character
a couple characters that debuted in xrd to go "haha look it's the dudes from last game"
and a single spot reserved for a fan favorite (so like baiken, zappa, bridget, or yes, even slayer)

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
the way i can see this roster play out if we get like 16 is
we've gotten the obvious ones out of the way now
so i can see the samurai dude and at least one other new character
a couple characters that debuted in xrd to go "haha look it's the dudes from last game"
and a single spot reserved for a fan favorite (so like baiken, zappa, bridget, or yes, even slayer)
Keep in mind that Daisuke loves to say that a lot of the choices as to including certain characters and stages are story-related, it's the reason why I'm certain that Sin and Ramlethal will be the returning characters from Xrd. They have pretty much cemented their presence in the story as being important to the overall main plot. The fan-favourite characters tend to be DLC. Look at Baiken in Rev2 and Dizzy in Revelator for example.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Zappa was the last veteran I wanted to see back in Xrd, it was a real bummer that we couldn't get a few extra DLC characters before ArcSys fully moved from that subseries. I'd like to see Baiken and Leo back above all else, but if the roster is a decent size without them, I'll do fine while DLC comes out. A base roster like that from Xrd though...I'd probably pass on the game untill more DLC drops by, maybe currency conversion where I live will make it easier to swallow, but that's otherwise too small of a cast for my liking.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Zappa and A.B.A are the returning veterans I'd like to see first, but I'm not counting with that, at least not for Strive's base roster.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i do think we're seeing a single big fan-favorite to drum up hype besides the mainstays and any newcomers or xrd characters

SNEKeater

Smash Master
i do think we're seeing a single big fan-favorite to drum up hype besides the mainstays and any newcomers or xrd characters
I don't really think we will have a base roster beyond 16 characters. Maybe with the delay they will have extra time to work on 1-2 extra fighters.
And assuming the game will have more new faces to the series besides the samurai guy we saw at the first trailer, at most I'm expecting Baiken or whoever they decide to add from the "fan favourites who aren't a lock" list.

Also, I'd be surprised (and sad) if we don't get at least 1-2 Xrd characters. Now we're at: Sol, Ky, May, Axl, Chipp, Pot, Faust, Millia and Zato. 9 characters, 10 counting the samurai guy. For the 6 remaining slots I'm seeing 2 new characters, 2-3 Xrd characters, and 1 returning veteran. Something like that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

My boy Slayer. My main ever since he was added to the series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Robo-Ky. Preferably not with a moveset involving him just being a flying head.

Top Bottom