• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Sol is pretty undoubtedly my favorite fighting game rep* for FPv2; his home series is even more 'high energy' than KoF/FF, and I think he'd be an even better fit for Smash than Ken and Terry were. Crossing my fingers that our wish comes true!

With the exception of Vergil with a MvC moveset

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see that energy.

I'm really hoping for another fighting character in the upcoming pass. 2 fighting reps doesn't seem likely, but 1 more? Yeah.
I Mean; It'd be NICE to see TJ Combo in Smash; but that's Pushing a Pipe Dream way too far; since Banjo & Kazooie are already Microsoft's Representatives for Smash Bros; and His Last Breath Mechanic would be far too OP & Broken to appear in Smash alongside his C-C-C-COMBO Breaker; I'm talking SSBB Meta Knight & Bayonetta Levels of Super-Overpowered!!

BTW. . . I'd be UP to seeing any & all Ideas for a Hypothetical Moveset for TJ Combo; List any of your ideas in This Thread I Made for him: https://smashboards.com/threads/tj-combo-breaks-into-smash-tj-combo-for-ssbu-dlc.492293/

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I'm getting more and more into Sol as I learn more about him-- right now he's probably my second most likely character behind Dante (we just got ArcSys spirits, and ArcSys had said that if they get one character in Smash, it would be Sol), and among my most wanted, like Dante, Chief, Waluigi, and Doomguy.

I'd really like a Hyper-Fighter rep in Smash; someone who gives off a different energy and plays totally differently than Ryu, Ken and Terry (I'd love a fighting game rep who nets their kills with crazy Bayo-esque combos instead of absurdly strong specials like Buster Wolf or Shoryuken).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4CRkxm1ec&t=1442s

Has this been posted here yet?
I definitely think this is the best theorization of Sol in Smash so far.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm getting more and more into Sol as I learn more about him-- right now he's probably my second most likely character behind Dante (we just got ArcSys spirits, and ArcSys had said that if they get one character in Smash, it would be Sol), and among my most wanted, like Dante, Chief, Waluigi, and Doomguy.

I'd really like a Hyper-Fighter rep in Smash; someone who gives off a different energy and plays totally differently than Ryu, Ken and Terry (I'd love a fighting game rep who nets their kills with crazy Bayo-esque combos instead of absurdly strong specials like Buster Wolf or Shoryuken).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4CRkxm1ec&t=1442s

Has this been posted here yet?
I definitely think this is the best theorization of Sol in Smash so far.
Yeah, that was posted a page or two ago

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I've been thinking and I want to change up my Sol moveset a tad, especially as Terry wasn't out at the time I initially made it
UNIQUE MECHANICS
Backwards walk: Just like the Shotos and Terry, Sol will walk backwards if in a 1v1 and autocorrect when dropping shield or landing

Input commands: Just like the Shotos and Terry, inputting the traditional commands for Sol's Special moves increases their strength, he can even cancel a lot of normals into specials by performing the input during the animation as long as he hit something

Air Dash: At the cost of his second jump, Sol can air dash either forwards or backwards. This can let him chase opponents down, mix them up or even retreat and recover horizontally. There's little lag so Sol can use this as a decent burst option.

NORMALS
Jab: A punch to a kick and slash. Taken from 5P, 5K 5H.
Ftilt: Sol punches straight forward. Based on 6P.
Uptilt 2: Sol swings straight up. Based on 2H.
Dtilt: Sol kicks straight forward. Based on 2K.
Dash attack: Sol lunges forward with a fiery fist. Based on Fafnir.
Up Smash: Sol winds up a powerful punch that sends his opponents straight up. Based on 5D.
Fsmash: Sol thrusts his sword straight into the ground with incredible force. Based on 6H.
Dsmash: Sol gets on his back and kicks his leg out. Based on 2D. The move is quick enough to be used against a parry, especially as it low profiles
AERIAL ATTACKS
Nair: Sol does a simple yet quick punch that's like Ryu's Nair. Based on jP.
Up Air: Sol swings upwards in an arc. Based on jS, but upside down.
Fair: Sol kicks straight in front of him. Based on jK.
Bair: Sol strikes backwards while holding his blade. Based on jD.
Dair: Sol thrusts right under him. Based on jH and is able to spike.
PUMMEL AND THROWS
Pummel: A simple yet generic knee.
F Throw: Sol headbutts his opponent, sending them flying. Based on his regular throw.
B Throw: Sol swings his opponent straight behind him with great force. Based on Wild Throw.
Up Throw: Sol grabs his foe by the neck while holding them high before they explode. Based on his air grab.
D Throw: Sol holds on to his enemy while forcing them down before creating an explosion. Based on PBB.

SPECIAL MOVES
B: Gunflame, Sol's iconic projectile. While somewhat slow, it covers a decent amount of ground and has a generous hitbox. Like Power Wave, there's no input, though Gunflame works a bit differently, by tapping B again before Sol actually launches the attack, he feints Gunflame, this reduces the endlag quite a bit and can be used to bait shielda, reflectors, jumps and punish attempts.
Side B: Bandit Revolver/Bandit Bringer/Riot Stamp. By doing a Hadouken motion, Sol will leap forwards with an overhead kick that hits twice, similar to Terry's Crack Shoot. The move isn't the strongest, but it has impressive shield damage as it's an overhead. By holding down the button, Sol instead does Bandit Bringer, a slower move with less range, but is stronger than Bandit Revolver, though it's shield damage isn't as noteworthy as Revolver's. However, by doing a Tatsumaki input, Sol will use Riot Stamp as his move instead, he dashes backwards before leaping while doing a flaming kick, if Sol hits something with the kick, he'll kick once more to kick the foe/item away, though this second kick won't happen if he hits a shield. The backdash only happens when Sol's on the ground and has enough space to backdash, though the move's slightly quicker in the air. Regardless of which move you use here, Sol goes into freefall, though his recovery can be mixed up, Bandit Revolver only goes horizontal, Bandit Bringer has a downwards arc and Riot Stamp has an upwards arc. By using the input versions, Sol will hit harder
Up B: Volcanic Viper. Sol flies straight up as if he's using his sword as a rocket. The input version simply deals more damage but regardless of which version you do, you can quickly do the input for Knockdown to kick your opponent away once you've dragged them up, Knockdown will merely kick away horizontally but when the opponent's at a high enough percent, it will send them at a downwards angle. Sol goes into freefall when doing this move and Knockdown will end the move early making it's rather mediocre reach less impressive.

Down B: DRAGON INSTALL. Sol unleashes his true power to completely wreck anything and anyone in his way. Increased speed, an extra jump which can be used as a second airdash, increased damage, faster frame data and even stronger specials alongside Volcanic Viper having further reach than before! Sol becomes an intentionally broken character for a 10 seconds with a gauge at the bottom showing off how long he has left. When the time is up, Sol reverts back to normal and suffers some noticable end lag, if in midair, Sol will still suffer the endlag, meaning if he was off the stage, he may even die. The move can also only be used once per match, so if you use it, make sure you make the most out of it

Final Smash: Tyrant Rave, Sol unleashes 2 incredibly powerful punches, the first punch will hold opponents in place while the second one has a powerful flame burst come out of his arm which sends anyone who foolishly got hit flying. When in Dragon Install, this becomes Branding Breach. Sol rushes forward and anyone he runs into gets dragged along until Sol finally stops at a wasteland, unleashes such power that the enemy gets OHKO'd regardless of percent. Naturally, a DESTROYED emblem will appear and like Joker's All Out Attack, the results screen will show up with the explosion on screen if you win the match with it. As it's locked to Dragon Install, you can only get a single chance to use this.

OTHER
Parry: Sol briefly floats as if he used a Burst
Taunt1: Sol thrusts his sword into the ground and scoffs, as he's annoyed that this is the best you've got.
Taunt2: Sol extends his arm and does a thumbs down as he has no respect for you.
Taunt3: Sol extends his arm, pauses for a bit and does a thumbs up as he's impressed
Victory theme: The Xrd victory theme but shortened down
Victory1: Sol walks away before turning to the camera. "What a waste of time!".
Victory2: Sol powers down from Dragon Install before smirking. "Next time you better bring your A game!"
Victory3: Sol emerges from an explosion and strikes a pose.
Branding Breach Victory: The camera moves to Sol's back, still in Dragon Install, while he looks over his head while saying "We're done here, game over"

Any and all feedback is appreciated

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
seeing Sol in the front page is pretty cool, one can hope next time that happens it's because he's announced.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
In my mind, if Capcom gets a fighter (correlating to Capcom's Resident Evil spirits being added post-launch), the chances for Sol go drastically up. If there's a correlation between which companies added spirits post-launch and which companies get fighters in the second pass, then Sol is a lock IMO, as he's ArcSys's flagship character. (I do think he has more of a chance than Misako/Kyoko from river city girls, just like how Terry got in over an SNK Heroines character).

EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS AN EDIT BECAUSE I CAN'T DOUBLE-POST
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this video has been posted before, but I wanna give my commentary on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4CRkxm1ec&t=941s

Overall, this is pretty much exactly how I envision Sol in Smash, barring a few changes:

- I'd remove normal cancelling; in a system with only one attack button, remembering which attacks cancel into which is just too unintuitive. The Shotos have the same light/heavy tilt system, and their light tilts are fast enough where they pretty much cancel into the heavy ones anyway.

- I'd change Gunflame/Breaker into the down special. This is mostly to make room for another change, but it's also intuitive, given that in both attacks, Sol strikes the ground.

- I'd change the side special to be like Terry's forward/back specials instead of a light/heavy side special

- I'd make Roman Cancel into his neutral special. Not having to do a directional input makes the move monumentously more intuitive and easy to use, especially when you factor in command input specials (IDK how I'd implement those, given a large amount of Sol's inputs are QCF+varying attack buttons).

- Roman cancel should work the way it does in GG Strive: RCing will emit a 'bubble' from Sol, and anyone caught in it is slowed down for 1.5sec., with an indicator for the slowdown in the form of a clock above the opponent). The move should also cost 50% meter no matter what.

Overall, this would make Sol a character with high lethality, but an overdependance on his meter for both recovery and kill combos -- said overdependance makes him vulnerable, as to build meter he has to keep up constant aggresion, making him predictable and susceptible to hard reads and punishes. Counter-aggression by the opponent is probably the best strategy, as Sol has weak defensive options (if he doesn't have meter for a R.C. whiff punish), and doing so would also deny him the chance to build his meter.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Rollback netcode for GG Strive is big news. Didn't expect that, honestly. And finally, a date for the closed beta.

In 2 days they will reveal another character, btw.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really hope Bridget comes back. Need to see her in GG’s new style.
I get the feeling Bridget will be back, though I do wonder how his look will have evolved since his last appearance.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't worry too much about Millia returning with how much of a staple she is, but I hope Baiken can be part of the base roster this time around instead of waiting until the 2nd updated re-release like with Xrd. Leo and Sin would be top priority for the Xrd newcomers too, but they feel like the likeliest to return from that batch, DLC in the worst case scenario. Zappa would be cool too.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I really hope Bridget comes back. Need to see her in GG’s new style.
His* but yeah, it's been long due for his return. I really want to see some crazy CG animations of him

Edit: ok wow this is cool. Showing me Bridget tho… they like to tease me lol. I hope he makes it in Strive…

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't worry too much about Millia returning with how much of a staple she is, but I hope Baiken can be part of the base roster this time around instead of waiting until the 2nd updated re-release like with Xrd. Leo and Sin would be top priority for the Xrd newcomers too, but they feel like the likeliest to return from that batch, DLC in the worst case scenario. Zappa would be cool too.
I'd like having Baiken in the base roster but I'm not feeling it, honestly. She will be in the game, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they want to keep her as DLC.
We have to keep in mind that the base roster will have some new faces. We already know the samurai dude who appeared in the first trailer of the game, so we'll get at least 1-2 completely new characters.

Currently we have:
- Sol
- Ky
- May
- Axl
- Chipp
- Pot
- Faust

Assuming the base roster will have around 15? characters or something like that, I'm expecting something like this:
- Millia
- Zato
- Xrd character
- Xrd character
- Returning fan favourite (Zappa, Bridget...)
- Samurai dude
- New character
- New character

For the Xrd characters I see Elphelt, Ramlethal, Leo and Sin as the most likely options.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ehhh, I don't think the base roster will be that small, ArcSys had a fair share of games to get used to the Xrd engine, I think something around 18-20 before DLC is likelier.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So hyped to see who's next.

Ehhh, I don't think the base roster will be that small, ArcSys had a fair share of games to get used to the Xrd engine, I think something around 18-20 before DLC is likelier.
Maybe you're right but I'd rather be cautious about the roster.

And as far as I know Strive uses a different engine.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Millia and Zato confirmed of course.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Really happy, they were probably a lock anyway but I'm glad to see Millia and Zato returning.
Also, they look super incredible. The animations are great, and Zato is somehow a bit more disturbing.

I just want to share this because it's super cute.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

SNEKeater

Smash Master
SNEKeater SNEKeater you betrayed Sol by changing your pfp, and for what? A waifu...

I hate to have to issue you this bud, but... here you go:

/s
:( :( :(
I'll probably return to Sol, but Millia is my Xrd main and I loved her Strive redesign. I couldn't help myself to not change my pfp hahaha

If Sol somehow ends being DLC for sure I'll return to a Sol pfp :D

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
:( :( :(
I'll probably return to Sol, but Millia is my Xrd main and I loved her Strive redesign. I couldn't help myself to not change my pfp hahaha

If Sol somehow ends being DLC for sure I'll return to a Sol pfp :D
Yeah, the new design is somehow even better. Hoping Diz gets as good of a redesign.

Don't like Faust's, tho -- he looks a little too zombie-ish now, IMO.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, the new design is somehow even better. Hoping Diz gets as good of a redesign.

Don't like Faust's, tho -- he looks a little too zombie-ish now, IMO.
I'm not expecting Dizzy for base roster, honestly. But she would be very cool and I can see a cool redesign for her.

About Faust, I'm not a great fan of the character gameplay wise, but I actually think his redesign looks great. He acts and looks like he's from Silent Hill lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Figured I'd post this since this might interest you all.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/news/b...nt-publish-guilty-gear-strive-europe-and-asia

Could increase his chances.

While I'm not crazy for Sol nor is he one of my most current wants, he'd be welcoming to Smash especially given the way he could play, so still wishing you guys luck in him making the cut.
I see your point, but I don't think this will change nothing. We have to keep in mind that the second pass are already decided.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Not gonna lie, am I the only one who thinks it’s crazy Sol is talked about this much for Smash? You would expect much more popular and successful franchises would take priority (Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur ect.).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, am I the only one who thinks it’s crazy Sol is talked about this much for Smash? You would expect much more popular and successful franchises would take priority (Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur ect.).
Well, I don't think he's super discussed, I don't see his name that frequently on Twitter, for example. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
I guess it helps the perception that almost anyone could get into Smash after fighter pass 1. Characters like Terry and Joker have changed quite a bit the perspective of some fans.

Mortal Kombat is barely discussed because of all the gore and blood, plus the franchise has a very small presence in Japan. I guess that's the reason. As for Tekken and Soul Calibur, well, I feel Tekken it's more popular among the Smash fanbase, but we have to keep in mind that by default FGC characters aren't the most popular choices among the community.

As for Sol, maybe it's because some people would prefer a less realistic FGC choice? I honestly I don't know. I guess some people find his design more interesting, but I'm not really sure.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do think Sol name has popped up more than I ever expected on discussions, whatever that's worth for his actual chance. My guess is that after SNK got a rep with Terry, ArcSys is a similarly less known but quite influential developer of fighting games that has gained a fair amount of notoriety after FighterZ. I dont see him mentioned more than Heihachi given how Tekken is the biggest 3D fighter and I believe 2nd or 3rd most succesful fighting franchise depending on whether or not you pit Smash Bros inside that camp, alongside Namco still helping with Smash development, so it'd make sense what's possibly their next most well known IP is mentioned a lot after Sega, Capcom, Konami and Square got a 2nd rep since the DLC days of Sm4sh. But after that Sol is the name I see pop up the most among further fighting reps, probably due to the rest of the characters that'd fit this bill having one issue or another to get on their way (DoA being not fit if Mai can't even make a cameo, Soulcalibur living under Tekkens shadow, Darkstalkers having a mixture of both these issues besides being dead and not even that popular in its heyday afaik, MK violence being a pretty defining factor to simply ignore in their representation* besides the series nearly non existance in Japan, just about any other SNK fighter being more or less bundled together for representation alongside Terrys inclusion, etc), so I guess it makes sense Sol is a bit less obscure nowadays that we know Ryu isn't the sole fighter rep that can be in Smash.

*I'm aware Scorpion, Subzero and Raiden had Injustice renditions that could work, but that's a can of worms I'm not going to participate in.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I do think Sol name has popped up more than I ever expected on discussions, whatever that's worth for his actual chance. My guess is that after SNK got a rep with Terry, ArcSys is a similarly less known but quite influential developer of fighting games that has gained a fair amount of notoriety after FighterZ. I dont see him mentioned more than Heihachi given how Tekken is the biggest 3D fighter and I believe 2nd or 3rd most succesful fighting franchise depending on whether or not you pit Smash Bros inside that camp, alongside Namco still helping with Smash development, so it'd make sense what's possibly their next most well known IP is mentioned a lot after Sega, Capcom, Konami and Square got a 2nd rep since the DLC days of Sm4sh. But after that Sol is the name I see pop up the most among further fighting reps, probably due to the rest of the characters that'd fit this bill having one issue or another to get on their way (DoA being not fit if Mai can't even make a cameo, Soulcalibur living under Tekkens shadow, Darkstalkers having a mixture of both these issues besides being dead and not even that popular in its heyday afaik, MK violence being a pretty defining factor to simply ignore in their representation* besides the series nearly non existance in Japan, just about any other SNK fighter being more or less bundled together for representation alongside Terrys inclusion, etc), so I guess it makes sense Sol is a bit less obscure nowadays that we know Ryu isn't the sole fighter rep that can be in Smash.

*I'm aware Scorpion, Subzero and Raiden had Injustice renditions that could work, but that's a can of worms I'm not going to participate in.
Yeah, I agree with those points. The first pass definitely helped Sol (and ArcSys in general). Atlus and SNK were companies that very few people considered for Smash, and ArcSys fits the bill of "overlooked but influential and important japanese developer".

Also I guess all the thing about Sakurai not being able to put Heihachi in a proper way in Smash 4 helps Sol as well, because in normal circumstances Tekken seems the most logical and likely choice for our next FGC character.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They're already sending emails for those who were selected for the beta. Luckily I got the beta :D

Top Bottom