• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

One Youtuber that I've subscribed to, FeliciaFan, put out a moveset for Sol Badguy. His movesets are quite detailed, so it could help to show how Sol could work in Smash to people who aren't familiar with Guilty Gear.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

One Youtuber that I've subscribed to, FeliciaFan, put out a moveset for Sol Badguy. His movesets are quite detailed, so it could help to show how Sol could work in Smash to people who aren't familiar with Guilty Gear.
wow, did ArcSys actually say Sol would be their choice for a Smash rep? I guess that kills whatever debate there could have been for GG vs BB (or UNiB I guess, but that's a whole lot rarer to see picked up)
Figured to put this here.

In case you don't know Fatman, he is privy to the same insider circles Sabi is apart of. Basically, Sol is getting noted in the same way Dante was earlier today.
I dunno why fatman isn't trusted as I'm not familiar with what he says, I only hear his track record has never been good for Smash speculation. That said, if verges words are to be believed, Sol would be the sole survivor of this message he posted.

D

Deleted member

Which Guilty Gear game do you suggest me to start with?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R is available on the eShop for a couple dollars and it's my favorite fighting game ever. Revelator is also incredible, full of animated cutscenes and is one of the most beautiful fighting games I've ever seen (and it plays pretty much the same). Can't go wrong with either.

D

Deleted member

Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R is available on the eShop for a couple dollars and it's my favorite fighting game ever. Revelator is also incredible, full of animated cutscenes and is one of the most beautiful fighting games I've ever seen (and it plays pretty much the same). Can't go wrong with either.
I’ll see if I can pick the former in the near future then.

Thank you a lot!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I dunno why fatman isn't trusted as I'm not familiar with what he says, I only hear his track record has never been good for Smash speculation. That said, if verges words are to be believed, Sol would be the sole survivor of this message he posted.
He wasn't much a leaker, just a speculator with insider info. He just told stuff about what was being talked about with permission from insiders like Sabi. And even then, he has recently retired from being in those circles due to the toxic environment he has seen within them. But yes, be did state that Sol seems the most likely in his eyes if Namco is truely off the table for 5, something has voiced notable doubt for.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
REV 2 is the upgrade so I would have specified that one.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
REV 2 is the upgrade so I would have specified that one.
Okay so real talk I get all three Xrd editions confused constantly because I played so much sign and only just got Rev2 so that's on me. So yeah, XXAC+R or Rev2 are the ones to get.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Another cool thing in rev is that the story is told via an actual movie done with the engine ... So you don't need to be great in the game to enjoy it.

Also the tutorials are excellent and while in general Guilty Gear games are complex and hard to just "drop in" arksys is always putting effort into making them more begginer friendly.

Revelator is also incredible, full of animated cutscenes and is one of the most beautiful fighting games I've ever seen
You know which game is even prettier?

Guilty Gear Strive.

I don't know how they do it, but they keep improving themselves. I love what they did with the new Roman Cancels and the new camera play for counterhits is extremely satisfying.

My only issue Is UI..but that may change in the future.

Anyway, if you have access to a platform in which ggstrive is getting released, I also recommend keeping an eye on it since they are trying to make it a little more begginer friendly.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Okay so real talk I get all three Xrd editions confused constantly because I played so much sign and only just got Rev2 so that's on me. So yeah, XXAC+R or Rev2 are the ones to get.
Understandable. It doesn't help that the naming convention has always been confusing af.

I waited until REV 2. The temptation was strong but I couldn't play without Baiken. lmao

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Understandable. It doesn't help that the naming convention has always been confusing af.

I waited until REV 2. The temptation was strong but I couldn't play without Baiken. lmao
I'm lucky in that Slayer has been in since Sign, but I'm really looking forward to trying out the new (and returning) characters in Rev2 since I've only really played even more Slayer. What can I say, it's nice to feel competent at a fighting game for once.

My favorite newcomer in the Xrd games is Answer because from what I've gathered he's basically "what if a Naruto ninja was Chipp Zanuff's secret service agent" and that's literally the funniest character concept I can think of. also his name is very very cool and the announcer sounds cool saying it.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Considering he has shut down more niche japanese developers, I'm surprised vergeben hasn't pulled the trigger on ArcSys after putting down Level 5, Falcom and NIS. It probably means nothing for Sol chances and that could obviously change throughout the days, but thought it was worth mentioning anyhow.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The only thing against Sol for FP5 that I see (besides not being a mainstream character) is that the previous DLC fighter was Terry. I don't think it's a bad thing, because we had Joker and Hero in a row, and both are completely different in terms of moveset and aesthetics. Same for Terry and Sol, but maybe Sakurai would prefer Sol to be a post-pass character, if he's even considered for DLC, of course.

I share the video yesterday in the newcomer speculation thread. I found the video in my suggestions on Youtube.
As I said in the other thread I think the video is very well made and represents GG in a great way but at the same time, the moveset gave me the impressions that maybe it would be a little more complicated that it should be.

His final smash should definitely get the Joker treatment. If Sol kills with it "DESTROYED" appear at the screen and Sol says something after that. But even if instant kills are precisely that in GG I don't know if it would be correct to maintain that in Smash. I mean, dying at 0% because your opponent hit you with the final smash would be a bit hilarious xD

Accent Core is a great game. I'm not a GG expert but I would say GG Xrd Revelator is a bit more friendly beginner. There are cool tutorials in Accent Core but the ones in Revelator are very cool and well designed for new players.
You have story mode and arcade mode in Accent Core and Xrd, and some more content for singleplayer. I think Xrd is maybe a bit better for a newcomer because I think it's a bit easier in terms of difficulty. Not talking about mechanics and gameplay, I'm talking about difficulty level and all that. I started with GG Xrd Rev 2 and I felt that the CPU it's not that punishing like in Accent Core.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, of course, but that was my impression.
In terms of story Accent Core is before Xrd, I don't know if you care about that. One of the things why I was interested in Guilty Gear was the strong story mode content. Revelator story is like an anime movie, 3-4 hours if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To add on to this, you need to watch Overture and XRD SIGN's Stories. Revelator (and REV2 extra stories) take place after SIGN @JDCabrera
Yep. I started the story with Rev 2 and thank god that the game has a kind of wikipedia of GG universe.
I wasn't that lost, only with some references and things. Then I watched SIGN story. I plan to see Overture story soon, but I already know a few things from that game.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
The only thing against Sol for FP5 that I see (besides not being a mainstream character) is that the previous DLC fighter was Terry. I don't think it's a bad thing, because we had Joker and Hero in a row, and both are completely different in terms of moveset and aesthetics. Same for Terry and Sol, but maybe Sakurai would prefer Sol to be a post-pass character, if he's even considered for DLC, of course.
This is why if Sol is getting in, I think he has a better shot at showing up post pass. At least with Joker and Hero, they have completely different moves and abilities. Sol’ moves, on the other hand, are pretty similiar to Terry’s. Gunflame = Power wave, Bandit = Power Dunk and Fafnir = Burn Knuckle.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This is why if Sol is getting in, I think he has a better shot at showing up post pass. At least with Joker and Hero, they have completely different moves and abilities. Sol’ moves, on the other hand, are pretty similiar to Terry’s. Gunflame = Power wave, Bandit = Power Dunk and Fafnir = Burn Knuckle.
Well, I think you can also say that for some characters in the roster (not talking about Ryu and Ken).
I was saying that more because of the reception from most of the Smash community.

I mean, Sol special attacks are similar to Terry's, yes, but Sol would play very different, specially if Sakurai includes air dashes, roman cancels or a tension gauge. Visually speaking Sol punches and kicks for most of his moves, but he would bring the aura and the attitude from GG games. The anime/GG aesthetic would help him as well to be differentiated from Terry.

Maybe it's because there are a ton of companies and characters deconfirmed for FP5, that's why I have the impression FP5 is a good moment for Sol. If that's not the case well, as you say we will have more DLC post-pass. An ArcSys character makes sense from my viewpoint, similar to SNK's inclusion

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Sol Badguy would be one of the coolest additions to Smash, and I can say that even if I'm a filthy casual at Guity Gear.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think any of us expected it to happen yet, but I guess Sol will have to wait for post pass.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yep. If Verge's right (because that list of deconfirmations is insane) Sol's out. Not a surprise but hey there's always more DLC. The dream can still happen, hahaha.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Vergeben posted a clarification - he asked about a bunch of companies, including specific characters like Crash or Tracer in brackets (a full list is in the link). The source clarified a few hours later that the specific characters that were listed were not the fifth fighter, and that it could still be from those specific companies.

Your mileage may vary on how reliable this source is, or whether this is just backpedaling on Vergeben's part, but either way, the list is nowhere near as exhaustive as it was believed to be.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Vergeben posted a clarification - he asked about a bunch of companies, including specific characters like Crash or Tracer in brackets (a full list is in the link). The source clarified a few hours later that the specific characters that were listed were not the fifth fighter, and that it could still be from those specific companies.

Your mileage may vary on how reliable this source is, or whether this is just backpedaling on Vergeben's part, but either way, the list is nowhere near as exhaustive as it was believed to be.
believe verge or not, after this, the list of possible candidates certainly got larger. I'm at least glad that silly idea of a Sony rep seems to be dissipating.
Update: and it looks like we're out of fighter 5, again.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I’m still not worried. Even if we aren’t #5 I think there’s still a good chance for post pass.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Happy 2020!

That art is really cool.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
How cool!

Also, as a tangent, I went to a really fun arcade they just opened up around here last Sunday, and they actually had a Guilty Gear XX Accent Core machine! I had a blast playing arcade mode, though I definitely got hand cramps by the end. Also, fittingly, I lost to Sol in the end and didn't feel like continuing, but next time...next time.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, this is the coolest thing ever,

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...s-guilty-gear-blazblue-and-river-city-series/

It's wild seeing Sol, Ragna, Billy & Jimmy Lee, Kunio & Riki, and The River City Girls all in the same game, plus tons of others. Also some of these character options are very cool surprises, like my boy Faust. I love that there's a fighting game mode too. This is a definite pickup for me once it hits the Switch.

amageish

Smash Master
So, this is the coolest thing ever,

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...s-guilty-gear-blazblue-and-river-city-series/

It's wild seeing Sol, Ragna, Billy & Jimmy Lee, Kunio & Riki, and The River City Girls all in the same game, plus tons of others. Also some of these character options are very cool surprises, like my boy Faust. I love that there's a fighting game mode too. This is a definite pickup for me once it hits the Switch.
You're right. This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Love the chiptune music remixes and I'm definitely getting it once it comes out in the west.

Also, thanks for indirectly answering my question a couple months later haha...

Does anyone know where/when they made these 8-bit GG sprites? As I don't recall having seen them before..
They did have a purpose all along!

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Colorful Fighters needs to be at Evo. Idgaf.

I have not played a game all year because I'm waiting for the right one, and Code Shifter is worthy as hell.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I like how Colourful Fighters is basically ASW Smash Bros and I love it

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
so 6 new slots for Sol to try to snag, but I feel the confirmation of 1st party characters does his chances no favors. The most I can say that could be beneficial for him is that I really don't see any indie characters happening after 2 of their biggest possibilities got special mii costume treatment, so that's what I expect for the likes of Quote or Hollow Knight if they're present in the game at all, and I guess I'd stretch that to things being fairly uncertain on western 3rd parties, Banjo might have been some sort of mythic exception or something given Rare ties to Nintendo during the 90s and his huge demand (but that's just conjecture on my end, and it's not like any of these were exactly direct competition for Sol).
Either way, regardless of Sol chances, I'm glad there's a new GG to look forward to another games character announcements in case he's nowhere to be seen in Smash by the end of the DLC.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
so 6 new slots for Sol to try to snag, but I feel the confirmation of 1st party characters does his chances no favor. The most I can say that could be beneficial for him is that I really don't see any indie characters happening after 2 of their biggest possibilities got special mii costume treatment, so that's what I expect for the likes of Quote or Hollow Knight if they're present in the game at all, and I guess I'd stretch that to things being fairly uncertain on western 3rd parties, Banjo might have been some sort of mythic exception or something given Rare ties to Nintendo during the 90s and his huge demand (but that's just conjecture on my end, and it's not like any of these were exactly direct competition for Sol).
Either way, regardless of Sol chances, I'm glad there's a new GG to look forward to another games character announcements in case he's nowhere to be seen in Smash by the end of the DLC.
Yeah. Maybe Byleth is an exception but if the next pass will have some first parties I don't think Sol's gonna make it. Not that he had a great shot for being in the game, honestly.
I would like him to be in the game but I'm not expecting him. I can see him being a left field pick like Joker, Sol would have the surprise and unexpected factor, but he obviously isn't a strong candidate.

If I had to bet I wouldn't bet on him, at least for now.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah. Maybe Byleth is an exception but if the next pass will have some first parties I don't think Sol's gonna make it. Not that he had a great shot for being in the game, honestly.
I would like him to be in the game but I'm not expecting him. I can see him being a left field pick like Joker, Sol would have the surprise and unexpected factor, but he obviously isn't a strong candidate.

If I had to bet I wouldn't bet on him, at least for now.
I'd say Sol at least isn't in the same realm of impossibility as some of the other characters I hope for, but yeah, with 1st parties into the fray again it's hard to imagine he'd fit into the heavy competition of 6 slots, even if it was like 1-2 1st parties alone and my prediction over western 3rd parties turns out to be true. There's still some JP devs you could argue are bigger and share closer ties to Ninty than ArcSys (Level 5 and Koei instantly come to mind), and if we end up with no Capcom and/or Namco newcomer DLC by the end of the whole thing, I'll be shocked!

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Oh wow, this thread got a lot more traction than I thought it would. I really should update the OP huh?
Glad to see so many people kept up this discussion in my absence lol, I still think any anime fighter rep would be absolutely perfect in smash, especially after seeing the immense love that Terry got (such a sick addition btw)
I still think Sol would be the Sakurai's choice, given that this happens, so I'm still gonna campaign for him.
Gonna comb through this thread now to see what y'all have been talking about

Top Bottom