• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Imagine if they actually implemented IK moves for 1v1 matches when the opponent is on their last stock/below a certain amount of HP, I can imagine the salt already.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think that besides the typical fighter archetype, (1v1 always facing the oponent, input commands, canceleable supers, etc) Sol probably could use Roman cancels, air dash and a tension bar as it's gimmicks. Unlike terry he can use supers anytiem as long as he has the tension, but he also can use the bar for some roman cancels of some of his moves... also he would gain tension by dashing... and having tension penalities while playing keep away for too long.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
This is among the less important stuff, but I wonder how heavily they'd censor the female spirits they'd select if Sol gets in? I can imagine May, Millia and Jam not being a problem (probably I-no as well), but everyone else I imagine would suffer some degree of modifications to avoid problems with the CERO.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is among the less important stuff, but I wonder how heavily they'd censor the female spirits they'd select if Sol gets in? I can imagine May, Millia and Jam not being a problem (probably I-no as well), but everyone else I imagine would suffer some degree of modifications to avoid problems with the CERO.
In the case of Mai, it's likely because of her typical legwear not covering up panties alongside her exposed chest. I-No'd suffer from that too which is a shame as a spirit of her would guarantee Midnight Carnival

Also Dizzy'd likely be a problem unless they decide to have her uhhh civilian attire

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
se of her typical legwear not covering up panties alongside her exposed chest. I-No'd suffer from that too which is a shame as a spirit of her would guarantee Midnight Carnival

Also Dizzy'd likely be a problem
Dizzy certainly would be a problem, but is not like the character would suffer if her thong becomes a little... bigger. that being said, i think that the spirits will likely revolve around the original cast anyways whit maybe a couple of exceptions like Sin.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
In the case of Mai, it's likely because of her typical legwear not covering up panties alongside her exposed chest. I-No'd suffer from that too which is a shame as a spirit of her would guarantee Midnight Carnival

Also Dizzy'd likely be a problem unless they decide to have her uhhh civilian attire
I'd throw Baiken in the mix as well given how much cleavage her clothes show. I suppose after that there's not many females that feel as important to represent that'd be complicated (debatably Jack-O given who she turns out to be? but they could easily zip up her bodysuit)

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Sign me up. I don't care much about Sol but kick-ass music aside, Guilty Gear graced us with this magnificent mofo.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I've been playing some GG again and watching the Arcrevo gameplay today made me think more about how cool Sol in Smash could be. I'm new to the game and I've most played Ky so far, but Sol just has this awesome style and even if he's not the craziest character in GG, he would still be super dynamic in Smash and definitely feels like the obvious choice for an anime fighter character in Smash. Hopefully it actually happens.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
It's funny how Badguy isn't the craziest Guilty Gear character by a mile but in a cast as large as Super Smash's, he would stand out.

When he shields attacks, I want it to look like Faultless Defense with the lightning surrounding it and ****.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Arcrevo is having place this weekend, you think they would reveal some new info for GG2020?

I don't think Sol would have IK if he gets into Smash. Dragon Install gimmick or adding Roman Cancels in his moveset in some way? Probably.
The only way for him to have his instant kill it would be as the Final Smash and that would be really cool.

Tyrant Rave could be implemented like Power Geyser and Buster Wolf with Terry.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah I think the IK would be Sol’s Final Smash probably. I definitely think he would have some kind of unique gimmick though like air dashing or RC. Dragon install as a part of his moveset would be pretty neat too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
First of all, we have a new name, Guilty Gear Strive.

Second, Faust is back and they're playing up the creepy factor.

Third, the crowd is bull**** blazing
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Obligatory swear warning despite how everyone here know about it

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Never have played a Guilty Gear in my life, but always love and appreciate the impressive visuals, music and art design the game has to offer

and its great to see the GG Strive hype with the audience singing Smell of the Game, i could just picture how hype Sol's trailer would be using that song with maybe the "BS" part of the lyric muted out.

Count me in as a supporter

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Here's hoping the next daredevil show us our mysterious man from the reveal trailer, or at least a new character with whichever other veteran/s come with them. Was Faust being scary ever a defining factor for his character in the previous games?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's hoping the next daredevil show us our mysterious man from the reveal trailer, or at least a new character with whichever other veteran/s come with them. Was Faust being scary ever a defining factor for his character in the previous games?
Faust was always more whacky, either they decided to mix him with Zappa or he's going to be like that due to his mental state getting worse over the years storywise

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Faust in the original was Dr. Baldhead, a feared serial killer, so if could be that he's regressed for one reason or another, possibly due to Zappa or Eddie.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Wow, I didn't expect a trailer. Guilty Gear Strive, sounds cool!

Faust looks cool, when I first saw the trailer Faust remind me of Zappa for a moment. The game's coming late 2020. The bad news is we will have to wait until january for another trailer.

I'm starting to think that some classic characters may have to be seriously reworked to fit with the gameplay changes they made.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I don't know how... But the new trailer looks even better than the first one Dx the animations seem sigthly more polished... Even though they always were amazing UwU

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The interviews is indeed good as a whole but possibly getting GGPO may be one of the best things to know about this as it'd mean the online will be better than ever

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
You know, it's super ironic that the main hero's name is Badguy. I love Sol, really do but his last name kills me XD

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Max's saying interesting things here. Overall he liked it but he hopes for some adjustments and changes.

The game looks so good.

amageish

Smash Master
Guilty Gear Petit?

I didn't know those spin-offs existed and they are adorable, but they are still more complicated sprites then the almost 8-bit one they posted of May on Twitter...

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
It's common for companies like ASW to mess around with other art styles. I remember this for Under Night. It was an entire video.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I was just thinking, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has mentioned that he wants to represent more smaller Japanese companies with Smash going foward. I think that's why we got SNK, and I could see that happening for Arcsys too. Sol's status reminds me of Terry too, because his series was definitive for the anime fighter subgenre, and even though he's not super recognizable to casuals, he's a very important character to fans of fighting games.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Figured to put this here.

Fatman just said he thinks Lloyd is DLC 5 ... O.o
In case you don't know Fatman, he is privy to the same insider circles Sabi is apart of. Basically, Sol is getting noted in the same way Dante was earlier today.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I know any claimed leaker has to be taken with a grain of salt, but isn't Fatman considered particularly unreliable with industry secrets?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know any claimed leaker has to be taken with a grain of salt, but isn't Fatman considered particularly unreliable with industry secrets?
In what way? Plus, this is just noting the names that have been passed around within the leaking circles, not him outright confirming someone. He is less a leaker and more someone who speculates within the leaking circles himself.

amageish

Smash Master
It's common for companies like ASW to mess around with other art styles. I remember this for Under Night. It was an entire video.
Ahhhhh. I had not seen that April Fool's joke before either, which is very amazing.

Figured to put this here.

In case you don't know Fatman, he is privy to the same insider circles Sabi is apart of. Basically, Sol is getting noted in the same way Dante was earlier today.
I'm only familiar with Fatman in the most general sense, but Lloyd or Sol would both make me quite happy!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm only familiar with Fatman in the most general sense, but Lloyd or Sol would both make me quite happy!
I am quite familiar with him, as he is a big figure in the Geno community. Tomorrow he is apperantly going to voice his logic for why he thinks Lloyd has the best shot(Probably in the Geno thread), so that is probably a good thing to look out for.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I am quite familiar with him, as he is a big figure in the Geno community. Tomorrow he is apperantly going to voice his logic for why he thinks Lloyd has the best shot(Probably in the Geno thread), so that is probably a good thing to look out for.
Ahhhhhh, cool. I'm guessing I probably previously heard of him through you then haha.

Honestly, if it's any of those three options, then we'll least have new kickass music for everyone to enjoy!

Also, apparently the 8bit sprites have been from ArcSys Japan playing a "name that ArcSys" character game. Here are all of them, if anyone wants to play along (not all of them are GG)...

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Sign me up as a supporter. Huge GG fan and would love to see Sol make it into Smash.

I’ve had an idea for him. What if, at the end of his Final Smash, the words DESTROYED come up? I can just imagine that happening, as well as the IK music being his victory theme.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sign me up as a supporter. Huge GG fan and would love to see Sol make it into Smash.

I’ve had an idea for him. What if, at the end of his Final Smash, the words DESTROYED come up? I can just imagine that happening, as well as the IK music being his victory theme.
He better get the instant transition Joker does.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just played through Sol Badguy's arcade mode in Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator. I didn't quite understand everything that was going on, since this is my first Guilty Gear game (I have no idea who Aria is (I'm assuming Sol's dead love interest or family member), though I know enough about anime tropes to figure that Sol and That Man/Raven are normally enemies, but they're forced to work together because the idea of Justice being revived threatens the world), but from the gameplay, I could see Sol Badguy working in Smash.

One question about his playstyle - is he normally not supposed to have much range? Even on Beginner difficulty, there were some opponents (Axl, Sin, I-No) who could send him flying to the back to the stage and spam attacks that cover the length of the entire screen to keep him there, with seemingly nothing he could do to counter. I won the matches (mostly because the AI wasn't TOO bad about spamming it, though there were still a few rounds where I came close or one where I lost), but I don't know how you're supposed to deal with that on higher difficulties and I could see it being extremely frustrating.

Last edited:

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I just played through Sol Badguy's arcade mode in Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator. I didn't quite understand everything that was going on, since this is my first Guilty Gear game (I have no idea who Aria is (I'm assuming Sol's dead love interest or family member), though I know enough about anime tropes to figure that Sol and That Man/Raven are normally enemies, but they're forced to work together because the idea of Justice being revived threatens the world), but from the gameplay, I could see Sol Badguy working in Smash.

One question about his playstyle - is he normally not supposed to have much range? Even on beginner, there were some opponents (Axl, Sin, I-No) who could send him flying to the back to the stage and spam attacks that cover the entire screen to keep him there, with seemingly nothing he could do to counter. I won the matches (mostly because the AI wasn't TOO bad about spamming it, though there were still a few rounds where I came close or one where I lost), but I don't know how you're supposed to deal with that on higher difficulties and I could see it being extremely frustrating.
Aria is, indeed, a key figure from Sol's past. One that ties both him and That Man together.

As for Sol, think of him as Ken from Street Fighter, except without a fullscreen projectile and with a command grab.

Sol does have ways around projectiles, though they are very commital. One such example is his Grand Viper, and if you're feeling real lucky, you can try Bandit Bringer and Riot Stamp.

Top Bottom