• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I didn't know about that popularity poll. Is there some link to the results?

About Zappa if he returns his moveset would be different because he's no longer possessed. That or maybe he will learn to control ghosts.

While we're at it, can somebody more familiar with GG tell me who's number 12?

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
What do y'all think about an Order-Sol alt?

Off topic, but I wish ArcSys (Team Blue) made a modern (and accessible) Sailor Moon 2D fighting game. It wouldn't be the first time they've developed a Sailor Moon game, too! Although their newer Guilty Gear style is gorgeous, I think we need more games in the older sprite-based style, and it'd give Sailor Moon that classic feel. Additionally, the sprite-based style could maybe give us an option for customizable palette swaps. And if said game becomes a hit, I'd like a sequel made by Team Red, and a maybe a beat 'em up spinoff. IDK, I just think a modern ArcSys/Sailor Moon collab would be really awesome. Especially if they add different forms of the characters, the Sailor Starlights and Quartet, and villains to the roster. Sailor Moon is still a side event at EVO after all these years, so seeing it take the main stage would be like DBFZ all over again.

I mean, look at how well this held up visually?:

More on topic(ish), yesterday was Bridget's birthday. They weren't in Rev 2, but will they return for GG 2020?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In order:

1. I'd pop off for an Order Sol alt.

2. I'd love an ArcSys Sailor Moon fighter. I've been dreaming of a One Piece DBFZ-style fighter as well and even made a hypothetical roster for it. I really hope Team Red can get the rights one day.

3. Bridget coming back for 2020 would be great. They need an update and I'm super curious as to how they'd look. I loved them in GGDS as they were my main.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've seen people ask for Jojo, KHR, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, Bleach, One Punch Man, Naruto, etc. ArcSys games as well, and I'm down for any of them, or even a Jump Stars crossover type thing. They're the best at making anything look and feel true to the source material, while also making the games fun as heck.

I'd especially like a One Piece game from them, so I can get invested in the series. I've heard nothing but praise for it, and an ArcSys game would help get me caught up without having to binge. I have no idea how/why I missed out on it growing up, but I pretty much stopped reading/watching manga/anime a while back.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Is raven... likely is the GG2 overture design, instead of the GGxrd design.
huh, I guess that shows how much the main art for character changed with the Xrd games.
As far as ArcSys working on another IP fighter goes, I'd like to see them make a good Castlevania one (lets not remember Judgement was a thing), maybe FE but I imagine that'd have similar problems as the Warriors games unless they decided to focus on one continent in particular and not the entire franchise. Don't really care enough to see them tackle another anime property, but I guess I'd be mildly curious to see them have another go at Fist of the North Star, Jojo and Yu Yu Hakusho could be cool as well.
I dreamt Sol got in the game not long ago, his render looked pretty cool in it despite not recreating Xrd cell-shading.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright so about time I figured out this place existed. How about a moveset to celebrate?

UNIQUE MECHANICS
Backwards walk: Just like the Shotos and presumably Terry, Sol will walk backwards if in a 1v1
Strong buttons: Like the Shotos, Sol can hold his grounded normals' attack button to get a different attack.
Input commands: Just like the Shotos and Terry, inputting the traditional commands for Sol's Special moves increases their strength
Air Dash: At the cost of his second jump, Sol can air dash either forwards or backwards. This can let him chase opponents down, mix them up or even retreat and recover horizontally. There's little lag so Sol can use this as a decent burst option.

NORMALS
Jab: A punch to a kick and slash. Taken from 5P, 5K 5H.
Jab2: a sword slash. When up close the animation and properties change. Based on fS and cS.
Ftilt: Sol punches straight forward. Based on 6P.
Ftilt2: Sol performs the kick of Riot Stamp but without actually jumping forward or anything.
Uptilt: Sol kicks straight upwards. Just like with his light Jab, this is based off of 5K.
Uptilt 2: Sol swings straight up. Based on 2H.
Dtilt: Sol kicks straight forward. Based on 2K.
Dtilt 2: Sol gets on his back and kicks even further away. Based on 2D.
Dash attack: Sol lunges forward with a fiery fist. Based on Fafnir.
Up Smash: Sol winds up a powerful punch that sends his opponents straight up. Based on 5D.
Fsmash: Sol thrusts his sword straight into the ground with incredible force. Based on 6H.
Dsmash: Sol swings horizontally while crouching. Though there's a hitbox behind him, it's not really strong and is merely used to catch rolls. Based on 2S.
AERIAL ATTACKS
Nair: Sol does a simple yet quick punch that's like Ryu's Nair. Based on jP.
Up Air: Sol swings upwards in an arc. Based on jS, but upside down.
Fair: Sol kicks straight in front of him. Based on jK.
Bair: Sol strikes backwards while holding his blade. Based on jD.
Dair: Sol thrusts right under him. Based on jH and is able to spike.
PUMMEL AND THROWS
Pummel: A simple yet generic knee.
F Throw: Sol headbutts his opponent, sending them flying. Based on his regular throw.
B Throw: Sol swings his opponent straight behind him with great force. Based on Wild Throw.
Up Throw: Sol grabs his foe by the neck while holding them high before they explode. Based on his air grab.
D Throw: Sol holds on to his enemy while forcing them down before creating an explosion. Based on PBB.

SPECIAL MOVES
B: Gunflame, Sol's iconic projectile. While somewhat slow, it covers a decent amount of ground and has a generous hitbox. The strong version is slower but has multihit properties, allowing Sol to trap someone in a Gunflame and go ham at the cost of some extra start up.
Side B: Bandit Revolver. The input is changed to that of Riot Stamp to make sure you don't do Gunflame. Sol leaps forward and does an overhead kick which hits twice. Holding the button down turns it into Bandit Bringer, which is slower and has less reach but is stronger and only hits once. When using the input versions, Revolver will have Sol combine it with Riot Stamp, letting Sol do fire based damage and hit a bit harder. Inputting Bringer will have Sol be even slower but gives him a potent spike. Regardless of which version Sol goes for, he'll go in freefall.
Up B: Volcanic Viper. Sol flies straight up by using his sword as a rocket. The input version simply deals more damage but regardless of which version you do, you can quickly do the input for Knockdown to kick your opponent away once you've dragged them up. Regular VV to knockdown has Sol kick them away horizontally, input VV to knockdown will spike diagonally, though the spike is somewhat weak to prevent cheesy as hell spikes at the edge. Sol goes into freefall when doing this move and Knockdown will end the move early making it's rather mediocre reach less impressive.

Down B: DRAGON INSTALL. Sol unleashes his true power to completely wreck anything and anyone in his way. Increased speed, increased weight, armour on all specials, increased damage, faster frame data and even stronger specials alongside Volcanic Viper having further reach than before! Sol becomes an intentionally broken character for a short period of time, let's say 10 seconds with a gauge at the bottom showing off how long he has left. You may be thinking "Wow, I can just use this to destroy anyone with ease! I'll be sure to abuse it!". There are... drawbacks. When the time is up, Sol reverts back to normal and suffers some end lag, this will cancel out attacks and if in midair, Sol will fall downwards, meaning if he was off the stage, he may even die. "Oh dear. Well, I'll just have to wait so I can't spam it". You won't be able to spam it. Sol can only use Dragon Install once. Not 'once until the meter fills back up over time', not 'once per stock', once per MATCH. Make it count if you go for it.

Final Smash: Tyrant Rave, Sol unleashes 2 incredibly powerful punches, the first punch will hold opponents in place while the second one has a powerful flame burst come out of his arm which sends anyone who foolishly got hit flying. When in Dragon Install, this becomes Branding Breach. Sol rushes forward and anyone he runs into gets dragged along until Sol finally stops at a wasteland, unleashes such power that the enemy gets OHKO'd regardless of percent. Naturally, a DESTROYED emblem will appear and like Joker's All Out Attack, the results screen will show up with the explosion on screen if you win the match with it. As it's locked to Dragon Install, you can only get a single chance to use this.

OTHER
Parry: Sol briefly floats as if he used a Burst
Taunt1: Sol thrusts his sword into the ground and scoffs, as he's annoyed that this is the best you've got.
Taunt2: Sol extends his arm and does a thumbs down as he has no respect for you.
Taunt3: Sol extends his arm, pauses for a bit and does a thumbs up as he's impressed
Victory theme: The Xrd victory theme but shortened down
Victory1: Sol walks away before turning to the camera. "What a waste of time that was".
Victory2: Sol powers down from Dragon Install before smirking. "Next time you better bring your A game!"
Victory3: Sol emerges from an explosion and strikes a pose.
Any potential feedback?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

They will make a livestream for the Arcrevo demo of the game. Gameplay reveal with two new confirmations. Maybe if we're lucky we will get a release date.

About the two characters I'm betting on Millia and Zato-1.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Oh gosh, I am so ready for a Millia redesign. I'm loving the changes so far, and she's my main.

My other is I-no who will more or less look the same in all likelihood.

D

Deleted member

Oh gosh, I am so ready for a Millia redesign. I'm loving the changes so far, and she's my main.

My other is I-no who will more or less look the same in all likelihood.
Millia is my "this character looks good Imma pick her up" type character. Or probably Zato-1.

Either way, if I'm ever getting GG, I'll rush straight to any of the two.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Guilty Gear is kinda difficult, and Millia is fun, straightforward, and fairly easy to use, so I definitely recommend giving her or Jam a shot when ya first try it out. Jam is fast/agile and equally fun and straightforward, IMO.

Zato is pretty good, but he's a puppet fighter, so you'd have to learn how to use two characters at once. If that's your type of thing, definitely go for it. He has low health, but in the right hands, he can be very hard to beat.

My advice is to experiment around and stick with the characters ya like. Lately, ArcSys has been making a lot of their new characters accessible. They may very well add a cool new one that's more your type, whatever that may be. You never know.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I hope one of the new characters in the demo is the black samurai gear from the original trailer. I wanna know his deal!

KatKit

Smash Lord
In the same vein that Baiken is inspired by Himura Kenshin/Tange Sazen, the mysterious dual-wielding samurai guy may draw some inspiration from Yasuke. Though is he really a gear? I doubt he's going to be playable in the demo, but it'd be a pleasant surprise if he was, haha. Aside from looking awesome, I'm not sure what his deal is, but he may be a new rival for someone. I wouldn't be surprised if said rival jumps in to fight him during his offical reveal trailer. They teased us so early. D: I expect him to have a Sho Minazuki palette swap.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I forgot about the samurai dude. Maybe he will be one of the demo characters, I think it would make sense to have a new character there.

Supossing base roster will be around 15 characters or something like that I don't think there will be a lot of new characters.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Although the stage transitions are new, they aren't making everything from scratch this time around, so we may get around 20+ base characters. Granted, since their sprite-like rendering/art-style makes new costumes almost as time consuming/resource-intensive as adding new characters, we may very well have a base roster with like 15 characters lol. Here's hoping they have a bigger budget because of all of their side projects this time around.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In the same vein that Baiken is inspired by Himura Kenshin/Tange Sazen, the mysterious dual-wielding samurai guy may draw some inspiration from Yasuke. Though is he really a gear? I doubt he's going to be playable in the demo, but it'd be a pleasant surprise if he was, haha. Aside from looking awesome, I'm not sure what his deal is, but he may be a new rival for someone. I wouldn't be surprised if said rival jumps in to fight him during his offical reveal trailer. They teased us so early. D: I expect him to have a Sho Minazuki palette swap.
I think Shiina Ringo, I-No's inspiration, is a better comparison as Yasuke's an actual person who existed

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Although the stage transitions are new, they aren't making everything from scratch this time around, so we may get around 20+ base characters. Granted, since their sprite-like rendering/art-style makes new costumes almost as time consuming/resource-intensive as adding new characters, we may very well have a base roster with like 15 characters lol. Here's hoping they have a bigger budget because of all of their side projects this time around.
That's a fair point. I guess I'm trying to lower my expectations haha.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The new UI while not definitive it's very curious, I like the idea but I guess they would improve it.

Also Roman Cancels in the game looks good.

Video for Chipp and Pot:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The new UI while not definitive it's very curious, I like the idea but I guess they would improve it.
The way characters are sorted is interesting, but I think having character icons (and the Burst meter attached to them) move with their health meter is weird, and that the numbers on the hit counter are too big.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Potemkin and Chipp confirmed!

Edit: the game will have english dub.
Keep the old dub cast, they did great.

This shouldn't be a surprise honestly. I've known that...

they once cut Mai in KoF XII...

Well...at least they are there. That's okay. Now give me Millia and Zato or else I riot.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Keep the old dub cast, they did great.

This shouldn't be a surprise honestly. I've known that...

they once cut Mai in KoF XII...

Well...at least they are there. That's okay. Now give me Millia and Zato or else I riot.
Yeah, if we go for archetypes Zato makes a lot of sense.
I hope for Millia's return, she's actually my most played character in Rev 2.

D

Deleted member

As far as I know she was in every game, like Zato, Chipp and Pot. Except GG Overture, but that wasn't a 2D fighter, so I guess that doesn't count.
Hell, the only character who won't be a guaranteed lock is Baiken...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hell, the only character who won't be a guaranteed lock is Baiken...
Well she has a lot of fan demand, so maybe he will be base roster. But it would make sense for them to sell her as DLC.
The same applies to Slayer or Johnny, they could be base roster but I could see them being DLC or something.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I imagine part of the problem with something like GG where they probably don't get a budget anywhere near as big as MK and how much more complicated the creation of characters is, it's hard to keep every considered mainstay and fan favorite when they also want to add some new blood to the mix. I imagine it won't be as bad as Xrd with its 15~ish base roster, but some sacrifices will likely have to be made for the newer faces, and I doubt we won't get someone from the Xrd games too before someone like Baiken, Johnny or Bridget.
That said, I doubt Millia and Zato won't make it in, I'd consider them our last locks from the pre-Xrd games, probably Faust as well. I do wonder how many new characters we'll end up getting, probably somewhere between 3-5 depending on how they tackle the initial DLC.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
The crazy thing is that's just one song for the game. I can't wait to hear the rest of the new soundtrack. It's as exciting as the character reveals lol.

If we get an ArcSys rep in Smash, it'll be one of my go-to stages for the music alone.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The crazy thing is that's just one song for the game. I can't wait to hear the rest of the new soundtrack. It's as exciting as the character reveals lol.

If we get an ArcSys rep in Smash, it'll be one of my go-to stages for the music alone.
Yeah. The new themes for Chipp and Pot had vocals, so I guess every character in the game will have songs with lyrics.

I'm not a Potemkin guy but god, his songs are always amazing.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
So, since Terry brought along more mechanics from his home series than Ryu and Ken, I fully expect that an ArcSys rep would RCs and the like.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So, since Terry brought along more mechanics from his home series than Ryu and Ken, I fully expect that an ArcSys rep would RCs and the like.
Yeah. If Sol joined Smash I can see him bringing some mechanics from GG. Roman Cancels could work in a similar way to Witch Time, I guess.

Top Bottom