• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I think having Sans as the Mii Gunner is genius (Other than the GASTER BlASTEr) because Mii Gunner is a zoning character that makes a wall of projectiles that lets you be in a safe space.

What does Sans do his fight? He also creates distance from you, and tries hard to never ever get close to you (Like a Zoner would), while oppressing the duck out of you with bones, and blasters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i just realized that travis touchdown has another chance again through DLC, and if sakurai is gonna do this type of stunt again, shilling NMH3

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Between the unintuitive order and the new weird small bottom row goddam if the current CSS isn't the ugliest it's been in the entire series. xP

D

Deleted member

Biggest dissappointment is that Nuts and Bolts music isn't in the game.

Like, say what you want, but that game had a banging sountrack.
I was hoping for Showdown Town.

Was also hoping for some Banjo Tooie overworld music like Jolly Roger's Lagoon and Hailfire Peaks.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Okay, after helping some people move their stuff to their new house, I got to see the Direct and see the new Smash stuff.

-So Terry is in. Interesting.
-7 remixes from Banjo-Kazooie. That's awesome.
-OMG at the Goemon Mii Costume. I'll frickin' take it!
-The Sans Mii Costume was a cool surprise. And it comes with music and as a music lover, I can't say no to music. But the Sans costume also looks pretty dang good too.
-And more DLC Fighters coming too. Pretty awesome.

So pretty cool. The Nintendo Direct in general was good. Still very excited for Trials of Mana. And SNES Online is also great. Finally, a decent enough reason for me to get Nintendo Switch Online.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Like I said earlier, the statement is vague. Technically, BotW is a new game world that was added in Ultimate.

Sakurai knows that there are fans of Nintendo games too that would like to see a character get in Smash. He added Corrin for the sole purpose of that. Do I think we're getting only first-party characters after this pass? Obviously not, but do I think we're getting a few. Absolutely. Sakurai's goal is and never has been to cram in as many new franchises as he can, and I have faith in him acknowledging the existing franchises too.
While I realize that this is a conversation we will likely never agree on, I'm just going to say that I disagree and don't believe his statement was all that vague.

The statement in question was:
Adding more characters to the game means more game worlds will be added to the series. Ultimately, that means there will be an even greater opportunity to delight the fans. At the same time, I feel that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now representing so many different characters and game worlds that it's become an enormous game. Even if the Super Smash Bros. series keeps moving forward, I doubt there will be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again. So I want to keep improving on this record as much as possible.
A few things stand out to me here.

1) Sakurai makes sure he addresses the fact that he doubts "there will ever be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again". There are currently 35 series crossing over with playable characters (36 once Terry Bogard crosses over) in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. This is already the record for most series in a playable game, officially created by a gaming company. This is clearly already massive. Adding more entirely brand new series to Smash, 1st party or 3rd party, broadens the crossover element. Adding characters from series already with playable content, does not broaden the crossover in terms of new "gaming worlds" joining Smash

That may simply be my interpretation, but I feel that that makes the most sense. Otherwise, to me, it's basically splitting hairs. Even if I may want Edelgard, implying that Three Houses is "a different world" from Radiant Dawn or Awakening while literally true for their games, it is not so true for Smash. These characters are organized into different series. The crossover is considered by series, not individual game in terms of the record.

2) To your point that, "Sakurai's goal...never has been to cram in as many new franchises as he can...", I feel that's demonstrably false. Not only did he add the most new franchises to Smash 4, he's done absolutely nothing but add completely new franchises during this wave of DLC. He could have picked 1st party characters for the Fighter's Pass. However, he chose not to. As he chose not to, he picked characters that literally all come from 3rd parties.

3) To your point that he, "added Corrin for the sole purpose of that [fans of Nintendo games that would like to see a character get in Smash]" I feel that this is also not entirely correct. Sakurai was hesitant to add Corrin because there were several Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4 already. In addition, he wanted to add a Nintendo character from an upcoming game.

Now, I'm sure you know this, but not every Nintendo fan was satisfied by Corrin. The loudest people detested that pick.

4) Finally, the record that Sakurai refers to when he says, "So I want to keep improving on this record as much as possible". This brings me back to my first point with these "gaming worlds" that I am interpreting as "series entirely new to Smash" and not simply different games in a series we already have.

I've referred to the record that Smash has. 36 different series with playable characters once Terry is in the game. Assuming the final pick from the Fighter Pass is new to Smash, that would make it 37. If Sakurai is aiming to "keep improving on this record as much as possible", and is adding 5 more characters (for the sake of argument), he now has the opportunity to expand the crossover in Smash to 42 different series in Smash with playable characters, with several other series represented in other roles, like Monster Hunter.

Why would he not add a series that is new to Smash to expand the crossover? He could certainly pick a new 1st Party Series, like Astral Chain. I wouldn't even argue that's unlikely. It could absolutely happen. However, adding Fire Emblem doesn't expand the crossover of series in Smash. Adding Mario and Pokemon doesn't do that either. Pokemon Sword and Shield is still Pokemon, and therefore, the amount of series crossing over into Smash after a character from Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda, or even Fire Emblem remains the same as it did since the last character from a series not yet in Smash.

Basically, I don't think people are fools for wanting 1st parties. Nintendo games are great, they're what I grew up on, and I love their characters. I'm also not trying to say that folks have to like 3rd party characters. However, what I am saying is that 1st parties, or at least ones that don't come from new series not yet in Smash, don't move the needle. People will buy them. People will be excited by them. But it's not the same as adding a series that brings the hype.

Astral Chain would be incredible, I have no doubt. However, I would absolutely argue adding Dante, or Heihachi, or Jill, or Phoenix Wright, or even KOS-MOS would generate more hype.

It's not impossible for 1st parties. I see it as unlikely, from my point of view.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just got done playing a little Banjo. I wasn't really hyped for him to begin with, so I dont know if that's coloring my perception of him or not, but he just doesn't feel all good to play. He feels a little sluggish and his jumps don't go that high. All his specials are kinda 'meh' too. That backwards grenade thing is probably cool for doubles when the person behind you isn't expecting it or for jumping with your back turned to the enemy (maybe even as a ledge guard too). Neutral seems weak with short-range compared to other projectiles (I guess the trade-off is that it comes out faster than others aside from Megaman's). His Up special is just Sonic's with Megaman's ability to jump afterwards, but even then it doesn't seem like it goes as high as either of theirs even when charged.

It's nice that people who wanted him so badly got him at least.

D

Deleted member

If anybody missed the mural update.
He looks badass as Hell. The red, white, and blue trucker aesthetic and the pony tail really goes a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Reminder: Famicom Detective/Tentei Club just got remakes.

AYUMI FOR SMASH WHEN?![\SPOILER]

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I'm honestly surprised, and a bit upset that there's no versions of Grunty's theme in smash. No Final Battle, no Lair theme. Kinda stinks, I love her theme so much.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Wanna have a bad- er, good time? Here's the entire Megalovania track.
This remix is so flippin good. Just when I thought that this was the best song in Undertale, Sakurai and Toby Fox pair up together and make it even better. I'm seriously impressed.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

If anybody missed the mural update.
The intense music closing up and Terry's nice butt pops up

beautiful

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I gotta say, the Trials of Mana remake is looking really good

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So I wonder if the second pass of characters or whatever they'll be will also get added to that mural or get a totally new mural? Cause damn that thing is gonna get crowded.~~~

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Yo. There's special easter egg in this:

Listen closely for it.

Hint: It's from specific webcomic, you know the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom