• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
One of the major selling points has also been the promise for implementation of rollback netcode. I haven't tried the steam beta, but the Xbox version left a lot to be desired last I played. That skepticism is only increased given its gonna be Nintendo Switch Online we're dealing with.

That said I'm inclined to give it a shot if enough of my friends are on board, and/or if there's crossplay.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm tempted to buy Rivals of Aether on Steam right now, but I also want to get the FE expansion pass.

Trying to decide ATM. Anyone have any thoughts?
The TH expansion lets you feed the dogs and cats in the monastery.

It also includes some outfits, extra auxiliary battles, access to the sauna, and the Ashen Wolves route as extras...but who really cares about all that.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
ashen wolves had better be 10+ hours if they want me to buy all the DLC content as a single package just to gain access to it

i miss when you could just buy FE DLC seperately

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
As well as the usual NatDex bull ****, the new trend in Pokemon tweets is now their lack of mention of Kobe Bryant.

Everyone is on the offense, and anything can be used as a weapon. _-_

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wasn't planning on buying Rivals of Aether until I found out that Shovel Knight is playable in it, so maybe I'll consider getting it somewhere down the line.

Love me some Shovel Knight.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Yeah I have.
Well, aight. I definitely disagree. I think the game's stage selection for competitive play, and its roster being so varied and unique makes it stand in its own right. Music is great too. Also like its combo system a ton.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Rivals of Aether? Well, I never played it, and I kind of gave up on fighting games in general, but it has Shovel Knight in it, so it can't be that bad. *shrugs*

That's the only reason why I pay any attention to the roster in Smash now. Just to see who's next.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Well, aight. I definitely disagree. I think the game's stage selection for competitive play, and its roster being so varied and unique makes it stand in its own right. Music is great too. Also like its combo system a ton.
It's roster is all OCs with generic designs, with the exception of the guest characters.

Why should I play RoA with it's 14 characters, when I could play Smash, with 80 characters I actually know and like, that has music I actually like, and stages that I actually like?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So I guess no direct tomorrow. Unless they dropmini.

If not this week, then first week of February is my guess

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So I guess no direct tomorrow. Unless they dropmini.

If not this week, then first week of February is my guess
Definitely the second week.

Y'all can quote me when I'm right. :shades:
or we can just forget this post ever happened if I'm wrong

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Remember how last year we were constantly expecting a January direct, and there just wasn't one?

It happened in February. :094:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Definitely the second week.

Y'all can quote me when I'm right. :shades:
or we can just forget this post ever happened if I'm wrong
Alright an exciting given it'll be Valentines' and I'll be seeing the new Sonic movie!

Still pulling for Rare Replay or remasters of Kazooie and Tooie though I'm expecting that more as an E3 reveal.

D

Deleted member

It's roster is all OCs with generic designs, with the exception of the guest characters.
And that's bad why? I mean, sure, you can play Smash Bros with 80+ characters, but Quality /=/ Quantity, and having name-brand characters is not the same as being a great game. Just look at Playstation All-Stars for example, or literally any Bandai Anime fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Oh so that's how you access the sauna in TH - I haven't really had a proper gander at the DLC so thought it was basegame and I just hadn't unlocked it yet

Nintendo's DLC offerings fluctuate a lot in how much value they are, but I'll probably end up getting this

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Rivals of Aether? Well, I never played it, and I kind of gave up on fighting games in general, but it has Shovel Knight in it, so it can't be that bad. *shrugs*

That's the only reason why I pay any attention to the roster in Smash now. Just to see who's next.
Shovel Knight's in a lot of games.

https://shovelknight.fandom.com/wiki/Appearances_in_Other_Media

It's kind of crazy, given that Shovel Knight hasn't been around for very long.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
The thing about smash is that it's appealing for two big reasons:
1. it's a massive videogame crossover with tons of iconic characters
2. it hits a great sweetspot between high skillcap and competitive potential, and being fun to play casually and at parties.
So you've got two different crowds of people to appeal to (more or less, obviously there's overlap). If you're one of the people that primarily likes the former thing, then obviously no indie smash clone is going to appeal to you, your only real alternative to smash is PSASBR. 'Course RoA being friendly towards mods definitely helps with this a bit.

If you're in the latter crowd, I 100% would recommend RoA, that game is genius from a mechanical standpoint. It's got melee's smooth movement but without much technical requirement, great offstage play, super deep characters, and I don't think I've ever lost a game of RoA without knowing what my opponent was doing better than me.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
IWhy should I play RoA with it's 14 characters, when I could play Smash, with 80 characters I actually know and like, that has music I actually like, and stages that I actually like?
Because it's fun.

Rivals/Slap City/Brawlhalla/other would be "Smash clones" aren't aiming to outsell/be direct competitors (It's not a competition unless you make/treat it like one, at least), and they each have their own quirks/niche that some just like better or wish other games did. You can enjoy and say Smash Bros is your preference, and still enjoy other platform fighters. Being close minded (especially discounting the Steam Workshop stuff) does no one any favors, least of all yourself.

Every character starts out as an OC, so I'm not sure why that's being said as a bad thing. Crossovers using existing characters still make them function in a way/scenario they wouldn't ordinarily, they're essentially Sakurai's "OC" versions of said characters (I'll take tiny playable Ridley to canon size Other M Ridley any day, at that) playing out a what-if/who-would-win fanfic. It's easier to make attachments to existing characters, but that doesn't mean completely new ones aren't ones people can learn to like.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, I've never felt burned by Nintendo DLC. Every game I've bought DLC for felt pretty worth it in the end.

...TBH, I've played free Nintendo DLC that's offered more content than certain other games I know...

Noipoi

Howdy!
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! or F

Yo, VO Bros.

Let’s assume I hypothetically wanted to start a YouTube channel where I ramble about video games or something, and let’s also assume I hypothetically just got enough cash to afford a decent mic. What kinda mic should I go for?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
(I'll take tiny playable Ridley to canon size Other M Ridley any day, at that)
Hey, Roidley is a good boy!

tho for real, Ultimate!Ridley with Other M/Smash 4 Ridley hitbox would be a nightmare, for both the player & the opponent, but especially the player.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
And that's bad why? I mean, sure, you can play Smash Bros with 80+ characters, but Quality /=/ Quantity, and having name-brand characters is not the same as being a great game. Just look at Playstation All-Stars for example, or literally any Bandai Anime fighter.
Because I actually have a reason to like the Smash characters instead of the horrid abominations that RoA dreamed up?

Because it's fun.

Rivals/Slap City/Brawlhalla/other would be "Smash clones" aren't aiming to outsell/be direct competitors (It's not a competition unless you make/treat it like one, at least), and they each have their own quirks/niche that some just like better or wish other games did. You can enjoy and say Smash Bros is your preference, and still enjoy other platform fighters. Being close minded (especially discounting the Steam Workshop stuff) does no one any favors, least of all yourself.
I'm not saying they have to be competitors, I'm saying why should I play a mechanically inferior one, with characters I don't like, on stages that are bland, with generic background music?

Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla are fine? They work? But when you compare them to their inspiration, they have nothing on it? It's literally the "we have Smash Bros at home" meme made into a game.

It's completely different to a game like, say, Bloodstained, where it's filling a void left by a dead franchise.

I.E., in my eyes, Rivals has no reason to exist. It's a cheap knockoff of a far better game.

Regarding the "OC" issue, the main reason I love Smash in the first place is the characters that I already know and live interacting with each other. That doesn't exist when everyone already exists in this universe exclusively. The guest characters are cool, but they're only 2 out of 14, meaning I actively like two out of fourteen characters. Why should I care about the OCs?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly, I've never felt burned by Nintendo DLC. Every game I've bought DLC for felt pretty worth it in the end.

...TBH, I've played free Nintendo DLC that's offered more content than certain other games I know...
I still find it funny how the sword/shield expansion pass seems to have more new content than the ultra games.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I still find it funny how the sword/shield expansion pass seems to have more new content than the ultra games.
I think the Ultra games were a big reason I fell out of Pokemon for a bit. Those two games were just really...Really poorly timed, lol. I honestly kind of feel they just shouldn't have existed; probably would've helped make the transition to Switch hardware easier for GF, too.

Now that I think about, though, gosh: Even the Pokemon DLC looks more meaty than RE:Mind ended up being. If that ain't irony, I dunno what is.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Because I actually have a reason to like the Smash characters instead of the horrid abominations that RoA dreamed up?

I.E., in my eyes, Rivals has no reason to exist. It's a cheap knockoff of a far better game.
8j9F.gif

Bro, did RoA wavedash'ed on your parents or somethin'?

You seem really pissed for what amount to a different take on the Smash genre, sure it may not be for you, but going as far it shouldn't exist? When plenty of peoples are playing this game & enjoying it?

That, and while they aren't all my favourite, they're far from abomination design wise (unless you got something against weird animals), especially due to the smooth animation & fantastic pixel arts, that should be complimented imo.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't call the characters ROA made "abominations" if anything they're unique enough that I like em.
I'm not saying they have to be competitors, I'm saying why should I play a mechanically inferior one, with characters I don't like, on stages that are bland, with generic background music?

Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla are fine? They work? But when you compare them to their inspiration, they have nothing on it? It's literally the "we have Smash Bros at home" meme made into a game.

It's completely different to a game like, say, Bloodstained, where it's filling a void left by a dead franchise.

Regarding the "OC" issue, the main reason I love Smash in the first place is the characters that I already know and live interacting with each other. That doesn't exist when everyone already exists in this universe exclusively. The guest characters are cool, but they're only 2 out of 14, meaning I actively like two out of fourteen characters. Why should I care about the OCs?
Alright, I really don't think half of the stuff you say here is accurate. Let me look at these one-by-one:

"I'm not saying they have to be competitors, I'm saying why should I play a mechanically inferior one, with characters I don't like, on stages that are bland, with generic background music?"
I see you're point in the first half(the underlined part) but to call the stages and music bland isn't really accurate.
Sure, the ost and design gets stale after awhile, but that's not that big of a deal considering this is a indie game, not a AAA game studio that can afford entire orchestras and hire people to design for them.

"Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla are fine? They work? But when you compare them to their inspiration, they have nothing on it? It's literally the "we have Smash Bros at home" meme made into a game."
This is not true at all. ROA takes the classic Smash style gameplay and expands upon it via the combo system and stage design. The basic summary is that every stage has the same general layout(a solid platform with drop-offs on the side and a few platforms), just different things affecting and changing that layout. I don't remember how the combo system works off the top of my head, unfortunatly.

That doesn't mean that the game is quality thou? A game filling the void left by another /=/ good.

So, assuming I'm getting this right, you hate ROE because it takes Smash's design, adds its own characters, and then expands on it, with no prior series or place to start from?
That's not very sound logic. And knockoff is a bit disingenuous, at the very least it innovates on the fighting genre, if by a little bit.

Regarding the "OC" issue, the main reason I love Smash in the first place is the characters that I already know and live interacting with each other. That doesn't exist when everyone already exists in this universe exclusively. The guest characters are cool, but they're only 2 out of 14, meaning I actively like two out of fourteen characters.

Alright, again, I see you're point in the first half(the part I underlined) but in order to forge that connection, you need to know the characters already.
"Why should I care about the OCs?"
So, if you care about the OC's, you can forge that connection and come to enjoy them. Everyone's journey starts somewhere, so at some point, you would have no knowledge of the Smash characters you love, and didn't have that connection. Learning about new things is just the way to start that chain of events to learn to like them.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Well. They might have not quite understood Ben 10. But I’m glad they did a great job with Static here. Milestone definitely needs more love.
I don't check out Death Battle too often anymore, IDK just lost interest after awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom