• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Oh right. Though I would say that's at least partly because they are straight up worse as males. Inklings are supposed to be cutesy so obviously the female is better (especially with the longer flopping hair) and Wii Fit is so boring that just having boobs even makes the character more interesting to look at.
I would say in Inkling's case the girl is at the forefront of almost every piece of media involving Splatoon, to the point that it literally wouldn't make sense for the boy to be first.

And who even knew there was a male Wii Fit Trainer until the Smash reveal?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Oh right. Though I would say that's at least partly because they are straight up worse as males. Inklings are supposed to be cutesy so obviously the female is better (especially with the longer flopping hair) and Wii Fit is so boring that just having boobs even makes the character more interesting to look at.
It's more that Sakurai goes by what the default is in their respective games. Female Inklings and Wii Fit Trainer are the most promoted and prominent versions of themselves so they get precedence over the male variants, whereas M!Robin and M!Byleth got more then their female counterparts so they were the ones who had the main appearance instead. The only exception to this is Corrin, and even then at the time Corrin was picked for Smash M!Corrin was the more promoted one so it makes sense that Sakurai prioritized him at first.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda How does the Bravely series compare to Octopath Traveler? I'm kinda interested in trying them since BD2 is coming and both games are fairly cheap, but I disliked OT for its extremely repetitive story progression and how disconnected the main cast felt.
bravely is my favourite JRPG series and i hated octopath for the same reasons

the differences between them are honestly pretty minimal and i think bravely (in particular default) does a better job in pretty much every area - octopath was basically just a tech demo by square to gauge interest for bravely/nintendo-exclusive JRPGs on switch and it shows

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I'm trying out the demo right now and I'm pretty impressed by the customization that the job system allows. Music sounds nice, too.

How long would an average playthrough of the game run me?
Not sure, but it's in the 40-hour zone I'd say.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Like I understand most of the default alts for characters with multiple genderss seeing as they're considered the canonical iterations ala Male villager, Male Robin Male Byleth, female Inkling, etc.

But I will stick to my guns and say Female Corrin should've been the default

Fem Corrin seems to be the one that IS keeps pushing as the canonical one in stuff like spin offs and merch, so it's kinda weird to see the male one take priority in Smash

at least she's in the classic mode banner.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good mornin', again.

Who's excited to watch EVO Japan 2020?

ME! LEZZZ GOO ZACKRAY

RAITO BUST OUT THAT BK FOR ONCE

Okay, okay, now who's excited for Tekken?

*snore* Oh, you mean Leroyfest 2020?

You mean Smash 4 EVO 2018?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

You cheater.
i will always vibe with persona but the composer of bravely default got up on stage and did an accordian solo to the character theme section of the final boss theme and i can't pass up that kind of energy

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Good mornin', again.

Who's excited to watch EVO Japan 2020?

ME! LEZZZ GOO ZACKRAY

RAITO BUST OUT THAT BK FOR ONCE

Okay, okay, now who's excited for Tekken?

*snore* Oh, you mean Leroyfest 2020?

You mean Smash 4 EVO 2018?
Sorry I'm only interested in smashing my bros.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Like I understand why characters like Villager, Robin, and Byleth are male by default seeing as they're considered the canonical iterations

Fem Corrin seems to be the one that IS keeps pushing as the canonical one in stuff like spin offs and merch, so it's kinda weird to see the male one take priority in Smash

Wait, why is male Byleth the canon one? I would say plotwise female Byleth makes way more sense considering...

It's kind of weird for Rhea to call male Byleth mother.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah....no. The backlash will still be there. What would change?
it'll be 0.01% better
Uh, guys
Direct soon or nay?
maybe...maybe not...but definitely February Direct regardless
And yet there are plenty of people online who think Joker was a heroic figure in the story. Same thing happened with Thanos. A master writer CAN make you sympathize with a Villanous figure without making them sympathetic, even if most don’t even really try, but when you do it makes these characters actions seem justifiable.
Thanos technically killed Spider-Man in Infinty War...that ***** lost all the sympathy he possibly had
I'm not disappointed at male Byleth being default. But I am annoyed that that is the case with every character with male and female variants. I don't like that females seem to always come secondarily. Almost like an "oh they exist too".

Well you can misunderstand any complicated story. If you strive to have something meaningful that even the smartest viewers are intrigued, inevitably someone will miss the memo. People also often see what they like to see.
besides Inkling and Wii Fit Trainer...I guess there’s technically Mii Gunner being female in a way
I would say in Inkling's case the girl is at the forefront of almost every piece of media involving Splatoon, to the point that it literally wouldn't make sense for the boy to be first.

And who even knew there was a male Wii Fit Trainer until the Smash reveal?
...I knew there was a male WFT...but I never trained with him cause boo
Like I understand why characters like Villager, Robin, and Byleth are male by default seeing as they're considered the canonical iterations

moving forward, Forrin should be the only Corrin ever used (sorry Morri, but Cam Clarke isn’t able to help you)

D

Deleted member

Welp, no Drafting for me. Was the only person that signed up, so say bye bye to that $10.

At the very least I got some packs outta it thou

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
bravely is my favourite JRPG series and i hated octopath for the same reasons

the differences between them are honestly pretty minimal and i think bravely (in particular default) does a better job in pretty much every area - octopath was basically just a tech demo by square to gauge interest for bravely/nintendo-exclusive JRPGs on switch and it shows
How much level grinding is required to progress through the story?

Oh, and is any job setup viable enough to beat the game?

D

Deleted member

Well, regarding Fem!Byleth and all the avatar characters, I'd say I'm quite satisgied with them already, knowing the female advocate I am.

Prior to FP5, my main concern was that we would not get an independent female fighter (specified to at least credit Kazooie). Then Byleth came and ticked that requirement off. While some people would say the character is male by default, it isn't and it depends on the player in reality. I primarily use the available female alts, and even then, I would consider them female as well.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
THAT DAKPO VS. GLUTTONY UPSET OH MY GOD

HE DID THE DIDDY INFINITE AND EVERYTHING TO HIM HOLY **** LET'S GO

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
How much level grinding is required to progress through the story?

Oh, and is any job setup viable enough to beat the game?
i never grinded for levels, though there's a particularly infamous bit in the last 10% of the game where you're essentially repeating a group of bosses several times over and a lot of older bosses open for rematches - the bulk of the content in that section is completely optional save for the four mandatory bosses, though the main point of it is largely just putting the optional rematch bosses together in different groups to create new challenges (as well as give the bosses new snippets of lore). kind of feels like something that should've been saved for the end-endgame, but it's a thing that happens and you know when you get to it

all job setups are viable (you'll probably want a healer); the job system is versatile to the point where it leans far more towards finding the most effective ways to completely cheese the game than finding the best way to survive - some more difficult bosses (particularly the aforementioned rematch group fights) might have recommended job setups, but by that point in the game it's easy to just kill two or three random encounters and gain the required job points to catch up with your main jobs

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wait, why is male Byleth the canon one? I would say plotwise female Byleth makes way more sense considering...

idk maybe it's just me, but from the marketing and merch and stuff, male byleth kinda seems to be the main one

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
idk maybe it's just me, but from the marketing and merch and stuff, male byleth kinda seems to be the main one
Yeah, out of all the "choose your gender" player characters in gaming, it seems Corrin is the only one that has had its female version pushed as the primary one.

I can't think of a single other one in any game. Unless we count Splatoon; Nintendo definitely pushes Inkling girls more than Inkling boys.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I want to start a video game company that buys the license to infamously bad games and remakes them to the point that they’re very high quality. Bubsy 3D, Superman 64, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, ET for the Atari, SONIC 06. Take em, start from scratch, make em good.

D

Deleted member

THAT DAKPO VS. GLUTTONY UPSET OH MY GOD

HE DID THE DIDDY INFINITE AND EVERYTHING TO HIM HOLY **** LET'S GO
Props to him for doing an infinite that ACTUALLY requires execution, unlike *cough* Wobbling *cough*.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Eh.

Rhea is pretty clearly imprinting on Byleth out of the trauma of losing her mother and the resulting personal desire to see her again, she's not really taking into account their person. In fact, in her support and certain story endings she realizes she shouldn't be doing that and should be taking more consideration for the person they are rather then who she wants them to be.

So her calling M!Byleth mother is more reflective of her personality then on the gender of the character.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dakpo's been my friend for like 5 years so u know I'm poppin off after that Gluttony upset

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh, and I played a bit of Mother 3 today. Haven't gotten too far, but I know that I suck at the gameplay.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I want to start a video game company that buys the license to infamously bad games and remakes them to the point that they’re very high quality. Bubsy 3D, Superman 64, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, ET for the Atari, SONIC 06. Take em, start from scratch, make em good.
I don't know if I should be mad or glad that Quest 64 isn't among this list. XD

Also, Pac-Man Atari was even worse than ET. One game was playable without glitches, it just wasn't well playtested. The other was actually borked. Wouldn't matter, mind you, since it was a port, but eh.

Sonic the Hedgehog GENESIS is also another horrific port, but that's fixable too. If you want yet another bad one, MK Gold made 06 look good, considering it crashed when you finished Arcade Mode with many characters. 06 is buggy, and has a few glitches, but it's actually finishable and you need to go out of your way most of the time to cause an outright glitch. There's like one glitch that happens(during Multiplayer, two players get stuck if they both us a spring in the Lava stage. I forget the stage's name).

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't see what the big fuss over which is the "default" anyway. Both genders are playable regardless, and they both get unique renders.

Heck FemByleth even got to appear in the CG portion of their trailer and even got their own splash art.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Her design is great, I don't get why people dislike her. I will concede though that I understand why people have issues with the tights and the "window."
I can list off why I think she looks bad.
1) the leggings
2) he big eyes
3) her spread apart eyes
3) why is she in shorts while Male is fully amored

Smash fixed at least some of those because she looks much better in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom