• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Hot take but looping back to the "Villain is the Hero" stuff, how far is a Hero allowed to push their boundaries before they cross that border, and what makes them a Hero aside from the story telling us they are.

Been hearing about a certain controversial anime series lately and this MC is literally the most unlikable sack of **** I've ever seen who the story just lets him do what he wants because "He's the Hero!", regardless of how abhorrent.

How thin is the veil between Hero and Villain really?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
She ain't the default design, though.
Yeah, and I think that's a mistake. Why does every single Fire Emblem avatar character in Smash have to be male by default?

I think Male Byleth is actually the worst offender though, because of all the FE characters in Smash that people cry "blue-haired swordsman" or "Marth clone" about, Male Byleth is the one that looks the most like Marth. I think a lot of people would have been more accepting in the first place if Female Byleth was the default.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Been hearing about a certain controversial anime series lately and this MC is literally the most unlikable sack of **** I've ever seen who the story just lets him do what he wants because "He's the Hero!", regardless of how abhorrent.
what anime?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Vent dump:

I just learned about something a bit alarming.

i'm kinda really worried one of my closest friends hasn't been talking to me since thursday night, and i got worried as to what was going on apparently he's been admitted to a psychiatric hospital due to complications with his depression medications i'm really worried about my friend. we're super close and a few weeks ago, he started taking these depression medications, and he told me that the worst side effect was "suicidal thoughts"

i don't want to assume the worst, but i'm assuming he's been having suicidal thoughts due to a side effect

i warned him about this stuff, and now i'm just... i hope he heals well

this is not good at all

Shroob

Sup?
what anime?
Shield Hero.

Saw my anime group ragging on it hard being bad, gave it a whirl.

Naofumi is a ****ing insufferable mc but we're supposed to side with him, and reading ahead in some of the written work, he doesn't get any better, with one of the most ****ed up moments I've ever seen is him sending a villain to get ***** to death and watching the recording "with his slaves".

How the **** can I cheer for a "Hero" like this.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Vent dump:

i'm kinda really worried one of my closest friends hasn't been talking to me since thursday night, and i got worried as to what was going on apparently he's been admitted to a psychiatric hospital due to complications with his depression medications i'm really worried about my friend. we're super close and a few weeks ago, he started taking these depression medications, and he told me that the worst side effect was "suicidal thoughts"

i don't want to assume the worst, but i'm assuming he's been having suicidal thoughts due to a side effect

this is not good at all
That's not good at all. Hoping things go well.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I think Male Byleth is actually the worst offender though, because of all the FE characters in Smash that people cry "blue-haired swordsman" or "Marth clone" about, Male Byleth is the one that looks the most like Marth. I think a lot of people would have been more accepting in the first place if Female Byleth was the default.
Yeah....no. The backlash will still be there. What would change?

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
No, like, what would change about the character's backlash? The female alt STILL gets hated anyway because it's another fighter from FE. Gender got nothing to do with it, and the female is the POPULAR one of the two.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Vent dump:

this is not good at all
sorry to hear that. At least they are at a hospital that can help. I don’t know their age, if they can check themselves out legally, I’d advised you to try and help them to stay and get the support needed. As that’s a big problem with depression and mental health issues, for one reason or another the person will be admitted to a place like that, not want to be there(probably due to the depression but certainly other factors too depending on what’s going on in a person life) and then they check themselves out before they have ever really been helped. Which I’m turn can lead to a worse relapse or decline.

If your able to keep supporting them then go for it. In the end that’s going to be the biggest factor to a person getting help and getting better. I hope everything ends up alright.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
toyagumon8colors.png

It took me way too long to do all 8. Note that I did recolor the same sprite for Black(second to the left) as well, but it's more or less the same. Anyway, in order from left to right is regular ToyAgumon(official sprite), ToyAgumon(Black)(recolored, but official Digimon), Silver, Purple, Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green.

It's one of my favorite Digimon. ClearAgumon isn't included only because it's harder to tell apart from ClearAgumon than Yarn Yoshi is from Yoshi. It's that bad. It's just slightly more see-through. ToyAgumon(Black) is actually see-through similar to ClearAgumon, being closer to a swap of that instead of ToyAgumon itself.

D

Deleted member

Vent dump:

this is not good at all
Hopefully things can improve somehow.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda How does the Bravely series compare to Octopath Traveler? I'm kinda interested in trying them since BD2 is coming and both games are fairly cheap, but I disliked OT for its extremely repetitive story progression and how disconnected the main cast felt.

D

Deleted member

It’s time for the game to start and It’s just me and like 1 other guy RIP

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The lines between "Hero" and "Villain" are often blurred, and sometimes they even blend together. Really, it's all based on perspective and what narrative the story is trying to tell.

That's why, given the mercenary occupations given to both Star Fox and Star Wolf, along with their history, I feel like a game like SA2 where you see both sides of the same coin through each team's perspective would be so cool.

Nintendo has long teased at a softer side to Wolf and his cohorts, a side that's more redeemable and amiable. That's interesting, and the fact they haven't tried to run with it or experiment some more with it bothers me.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well the point of Joker is that it's a character study. You get to experience the reasons why things are happening and understand the character. This can have the effect that you start to agree with his decisions, but that is not the point and the movie makes a point to amp up the violence to less and less excusable length and makes you feel uneasy because you feel like you could end up in that headspace too. The character is horrible but he was kind like you but stuff happened to him that changed him. The true beauty of the film is how it lures you into the mind of the character and doesn't want you to leave when you feel like it's gone too far. It's not justifiable. It's not a happy revenge story. It's just a tragedy.

That was kind of a ramble but the point is that sympathising with a villain doesn't inherently make them seem less evil. Often it does the opposite. Only bad stories need to make the evil character feel in the right to be sympathetic.
And yet there are plenty of people online who think Joker was a heroic figure in the story. Same thing happened with Thanos. A master writer CAN make you sympathize with a Villanous figure without making them sympathetic, even if most don’t even really try, but when you do it makes these characters actions seem justifiable.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Now all the younger Nintendo fans can learn about Laura Matsuda. Someone else who isn't for good boys and girls.
Now that's how you recognize a TRUE HARDCORE fighting game!

:secretkpop:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Uh, guys
Direct soon or nay?
I mean..... I don’t want to get my hopes up. But like, if THIS happened it’s gotta be soon, right?

Really weird too. Sony actually helped fund Street Fighter V in exchange for exclusivity. Maybe because the game is at the end of its life and so is the PS4, they were just like “whatever, put it on Switch, we don’t care anymore”.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just bought 5 packs because why not so I can try out a pseudo draft by myself, since this is the first time I’ll be playing Limited
0B23AF3F-EE5B-463A-9C31-8AED21269416.jpeg

Combine that with a mess-up from last night(Mom traded in some stuff yesterday and the person there forgot to put it in) and I’m already pretty stressed.

Coulda bought a sixth one but nah, didn’t feel like it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I didn't say it "wouldn't be there," I said people would be more accepting. More accepting could mean as little as hating the character slightly less.
Feel like it wouldn't be worth it.

That is, not worth Male Byleth being throw even more under the bus than he is already, for me atleast.

Byleth is a controversial pick for Smash, no matter their official look/gender, and let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
808's K. Rool didn't do all that bad against Gluttony even if he went 0-2 against him.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Not banking on this Street Fighter V Switch port rumor just yet. If it's coming to Xbox One too then I can believe it more.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Hey guys, I'm back from some grocery shopping from my mom. Ended up being pretty frustated at her in regards to what I usually eat everyday, "You still like to eat this?" she says, "I thought you didn't like this anymore" she says. As I've noticed now more than ever, my mom is ignorant to what I do in general to my hobbies and other aspects.

Like, most of the time when I'm on my chromebook on my freetime, she'd always barged into my room and tell me to focus on my schoolwork and stop "playing games". The one thing she always thinks I'm doing on it, it gets so irritating.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda How does the Bravely series compare to Octopath Traveler? I'm kinda interested in trying them since BD2 is coming and both games are fairly cheap, but I disliked OT for its extremely repetitive story progression and how disconnected the main cast felt.
I can say that if you like an interactive cast, no worries. BD has only 4 playable characters and once they all meet, they'll be together for the rest of the game. Not to spoil anything, but suffice it to say that the endgame can get repetitive, so that may not as good. Although it didn't really harm my enjoyment in hindsight.

I realize you didn't ask me but I'm the background Bravely fan, lol

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I can say that if you like an interactive cast, no worries. BD has only 4 playable characters and once they all meet, they'll be together for the rest of the game. Not to spoil anything, but suffice it to say that the endgame can get repetitive, so that may not as good. Although it didn't really harm my enjoyment in hindsight.

I realize you didn't ask me but I'm the background Bravely fan, lol
I'm trying out the demo right now and I'm pretty impressed by the customization that the job system allows. Music sounds nice, too.

How long would an average playthrough of the game run me?

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
I'm not disappointed at male Byleth being default. But I am annoyed that that is the case with every character with male and female variants. I don't like that females seem to always come secondarily. Almost like an "oh they exist too".
And yet there are plenty of people online who think Joker was a heroic figure in the story. Same thing happened with Thanos. A master writer CAN make you sympathize with a Villanous figure without making them sympathetic, even if most don’t even really try, but when you do it makes these characters actions seem justifiable.
Well you can misunderstand any complicated story. If you strive to have something meaningful that even the smartest viewers are intrigued, inevitably someone will miss the memo. People also often see what they like to see.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not disappointed at male Byleth being default. But I am annoyed that that is the case with every character with male and female variants. I don't like that females seem to always come secondarily. Almost like an "oh they exist too".

Well you can misunderstand any complicated story. If you strive to have something meaningful that even the smartest viewers are intrigued, inevitably someone will miss the memo. People also often see what they like to see.
Wii Fit Trainer and Inkling are female first.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Wii Fit Trainer and Inkling are female first.
Oh right. Though I would say that's at least partly because they are straight up worse as males. Inklings are supposed to be cutesy so obviously the female is better (especially with the longer flopping hair) and Wii Fit is so boring that just having boobs even makes the character more interesting to look at.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
That set between Salem and Valor was hands down the best one I've seen yet at G7. Holy **** that was intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom