• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I bought it and didn't even realize I was buying it. Apparently I put down $5 for a preorder, and when I showed up to pick up Kakarot and gave him my credit card, he handed me back Kakarot and TMS#FE.

It's still wrapped on my coffee table while I decide if I wanna keep it or not.
if you dont want it, send it to me, Ill make good use of it

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
A wonderful analysis as usual, Diem Diem .

Now if only I could get this time machine to work, learn Japanese, and infiltrate Sora, Ltd. to convince my to-be-BFF Sakurai to replace Corrin with Azura. Then I'll be set.
I don't even know who Azura is, but I still laugh at this:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Considering they’re letting us buy the pass the day Byleth gets released, I’m gonna be disappointed if FP6 isn’t revealed in February at the latest, moreso if not in March either, and “good gosh Nintendo what the frick kind of marketing decision was this?” if we’re waiting until E3/maybe even by mid-March. Unless Vol. 2 development started late last year, in which of course I’ll understand, but then question why they let us pay money so early if we were waiting over a month or more without the first reveal.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unless there's a huge price save on the second Fighter's pass, I'm probably not going to buy it this time. I don't use 2 of the characters in the first one at all, so already there lost some money.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't even know who Azura is, but I still laugh at this:

Even people who played all three paths of Fates don't even know who Azura is.

She's the best character design with no character ever made.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I don't think we'll get fighter 6 til e3, but i'd love to be wrong. Also what's this i'm hearing about Crash?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'll wait on buying the Fighter's Pass until the first character is revealed. No reason for me to buy it now.

Like, even if it's a character I dislike, it's more Smash content so I'll take it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering they’re letting us buy the pass the day Byleth gets released, I’m gonna be disappointed if FP6 isn’t revealed in February at the latest, moreso if not in March either, and “good gosh Nintendo what the frick kind of marketing decision was this?” if we’re waiting until E3/maybe even by mid-March. Unless Vol. 2 development started late last year, in which of course I’ll understand, but then question why they let us pay money so early if we were waiting over a month or more without the first reveal.
The answer is simple, so the people stupid enough to buy the pass ASAP/competitivr will already spend their money, raking in cash regardless, those who want to wait until we know at least 1 character may even be a minority as seen with DLC literally never having as much people buy it as the base game

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The answer is simple, so the people stupid enough to buy the pass ASAP/competitivr will already spend their money, raking in cash regardless, those who want to wait until we know at least 1 character may even be a minority as seen with DLC literally never having as much people buy it as the base game
You sound like you're talking about EA, not Nintendo.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
To the Inkling that taunted multiple times over my SD, then proceeded to eat a taunt into f-smash, lose, and leave the lobby frame 1.

get ****ed lmao

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Cute, you think Nintendo is immune to scummy business practises when they've shown multiple times that they're scummy as **** too
Like what? Pokemon is obviously a problem, but TPC is the problem there. The only real problem is their mobile games. But that hasn't spread to their console games. Name one nintendo (console) game with microtransactions. Name one nintendo game that was rushed into production to meet a deadline. Name one nintendo game where the staff was forced into crunch time.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Cute, you think Nintendo is immune to scummy business practises when they've shown multiple times that they're scummy as **** too
There are many, many game publisher tactics that I would call scummy. Nintendo's actions included.

If "selling a pass in advance" is even on that list, it's very near the bottom.

MooMew64

To the Inkling that taunted multiple times over my SD, then proceeded to eat a taunt into f-smash, lose, and leave the lobby frame 1.

get ****ed lmao
Every time I think about trying this game's online again, I remember goofs like that are on it and they're unfortunately common.

CPUs really don't seem to bad to me now.

MooMew64

No company is out to be your friend, all they want is your money.

Thinking any are"above" anything is putting too much emotion into it. It's good to not get too caught up in a brand and expect or feel owed anything by them, just as they aren't owed anything by us.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No company is out to be your friend, all they want is your money.

Thinking any are"above" anything is putting too much emotion into it. It's good to not get too caught up in a brand and expect or feel owed anything by them, just as they aren't owed anything by us.
Like, I understand that, but I genuinely can't think of a single scummy thing Nintendo has done (coming from someone with like, no Nintendo brand loyalty or nostalgia).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There are many, many game publisher tactics that I would call scummy. Nintendo's actions included.

If "selling a pass in advance" is even on that list, it's very near the bottom.
I agree it isn't nearly as bad as the most common stuff seen in the game industry or other shady practises seen from Nintendo, but charging 30 bucks for something we know nothing about is pretty bad. All we have is that there's an exclusive costume, 6 characters and stages. What we don't know is who the 6 are, what stages those will be, what spirits and how many will be included per challenger pack, how many songs will be included, yadda yadda yadda, we're going into this blind and being told to fork over half as much cash as a new AAA release
Like what? Pokemon is obviously a problem, but TPC is the problem there. The only real problem is their mobile games. But that hasn't spread to their console games. Name one nintendo (console) game with microtransactions. Name one nintendo game that was rushed into production to meet a deadline. Name one nintendo game where the staff was forced into crunch time.
The F2P Kirby game has microtransactions and is on 2 Nintendo systems, there's Rusty's Real Deals, the Pokemom Trozei game on 3ds, etc.

Crunch is something Nintendo doesn't seem to do nearly as much but that doesn't mean they're saints, look at Sakurai overworking himself, Nintendo doesn't step in to stop tgat and as Sakurai is a freelancer despite having worked exclusively at Nintendo for the last decade, he also gets less benefits. Nintendo also hates union actors, adores artificial scarcity and has many, many other consumer unfriendly practises as a whole

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Every time I think about trying this game's online again, I remember goofs like that are on it and they're unfortunately common.

CPUs really don't seem to bad to me now.
Honestly, cornballs like that person aren't the worst part of online at all.

Worst part of online is that the netcode is ass and people are knowingly running around with ****ty connections and you don't know till the match starts.

Shroob

Sup?
Nintendo is a company

They're not your friend

Yes, they do scummy business practices

No, turning a blind eye to them isn't a viable alternative

We love Nintendo, but at the end of the day, they're really no better than most companies out there.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait what? I cant think of a single one of those practices nintendo is involved in.
The gacha mechanics in Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost.

Their attempts to shake down Discord and Reddit for personal information on people who leaked info for Pokemon.

The alleged theft of High Voltage's idea of a water gun shooter to create Splatoon while paying High Voltage nothing for their effort.

Their constant campaign against Youtubers by bullying them within the system without risk of blowback considering Nintendo's behemoth size and back account.

Their long history of incredibly restrictive licensing agreements with third parties in order to monopolize the market (this was an NES/SNES problem but it's important to keep historical context).

Crunch culture. While modern Nintendo has taken a public stance against it, classic games like Melee and Pokemon have definitely been a product of it.

Nintendo is still a model company in the modern world, especially when comparing it to other games publishers. But it's dangerous to assume that a corporation is 100% "the good guys" all the time. It's important to know their bad sides as well and call them out on it.

Shroob

Sup?

Their attempts to shake down Discord and Reddit for personal information on people who leaked info for Pokemon.

The alleged theft of High Voltage's idea of a water gun shooter to create Splatoon while paying High Voltage nothing for their effort.

Their constant campaign against Youtubers by bullying them within the system without risk of blowback considering Nintendo's behemoth size and back account.

Their long history of incredibly restrictive licensing agreements with third parties in order to monopolize the market (this was an NES/SNES problem but it's important to keep historical context).

Crunch culture. While modern Nintendo has taken a public stance against it, classic games like Melee and Pokemon have definitely been a product of it.

Nintendo is still a model company in the modern world, especially when comparing it to other games publishers. But it's dangerous to assume that a corporation is 100% "the good guys" all the time. It's important to know their bad sides as well and call them out on it.
TBH, I consider FEH a 'good' gacha, as ****ed as that is.

As someone who plays 2, but doesn't play FEH, the fact that the 5* Rate increases as you pull is kinda something that I wish they'd incorporate in more of these kinda games.

What's BAD about FEH is the fact that every unit basically has natures from Pokemon, so pulling a unit which is, say, a damage dealer, only to find out they're -Attack is dreadful.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
TBH, I consider FEH a 'good' gacha, as ****ed as that is.

As someone who plays 2, but doesn't play FEH, the fact that the 5* Rate increases as you pull is kinda something that I wish they'd incorporate in more of these kinda games.

What's BAD about FEH is the fact that every unit basically has natures from Pokemon, so pulling a unit which is, say, a damage dealer, only to find out they're -Attack is dreadful.
Just because it's better doesn't ignore the fact it still has VERY predatory **** that was deliberately put in, I personally know a friend who ended up whaling hard on Heroes and her parents had to take away her phone, she's much better now but it still targeted her and abused a potential gambling addiction that bypasses the law on a technicality

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Ok. Those are all fair complaints. But this still doesn’t tell me that they’re greedy douchebags who want to trick consumers out of their money like Gwen suggested.

Also, didn’t they shut down the creators program and stop harassing youtubers?

And I never heard that high voltage story. I thought Splatoon was the idea of a bunch of young animal crossing devs.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I agree it isn't nearly as bad as the most common stuff seen in the game industry or other shady practises seen from Nintendo, but charging 30 bucks for something we know nothing about is pretty bad. All we have is that there's an exclusive costume, 6 characters and stages. What we don't know is who the 6 are, what stages those will be, what spirits and how many will be included per challenger pack, how many songs will be included, yadda yadda yadda, we're going into this blind and being told to fork over half as much cash as a new AAA release
C'mon, Gwen. You're not being *told* to do anything. They're providing an option for you, an informed consumer, to take or leave. You know that.

Buying the pass instead of buying each individually will save you a whopping $6 for the next two years if you buy in rather than getting characters one-at-a-time. The pass is there for people who know they're going to get all six anyway, such as competitors, tourney organizers or people who just want access to every character.

This is like an ant hill amidst a range of mountains.

Shroob

Sup?
Just because it's better doesn't ignore the fact it still has VERY predatory **** that was deliberately put in, I personally know a friend who ended up whaling hard on Heroes and her parents had to take away her phone, she's much better now but it still targeted her and abused a potential gambling addiction that bypasses the law on a technicality
I mean, all gacha are predatory, and by extension, gambling.

If I had it my way, I'd slap a big +18 rating on it because, it's gambling, but we're not, who was it, Denmark?

I'm not saying it's not predatory, trust me, I play FGO, I know how ****ed **** is, but there's not a whole lot that can be done unless there's a law passed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ok. Those are all fair complaints. But this still doesn’t tell me that they’re greedy douchebags who want to trick consumers out of their money like Gwen suggested.

Also, didn’t they shut down the creators program and stop harassing youtubers?

And I never heard that high voltage story. I thought Splatoon was the idea of a bunch of young animal crossing devs.
They are though, they're just better than others, but still ****.

After MANY protests that went on for a year or two last I checked. If that makes Nintendo friendly then Sony was being extra nice when they chose to stop locking Fortnite accounts.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We definitely need better laws against loot boxes and Gatcha mechanics. This I will absolutely not fight anyone on.

Honestly, looking at Nintendo’s practices on mobile compared to other platforms.... it almost feels like we’re talking about two different companies. Like, you were able to name a couple Nintendo micro transaction games on Switch and 3DS.... but those are so small and mostly unknown that they’re basically harmless, if still made with malicious intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom