• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
What happened to all the koopaling players? :S

I haven't seen a good koopaling player in months and seems like Tweek stopped playing Bowser Jr. in tournaments who was the only decent koopaling player..

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
What happened to all the koopaling players? :S

I haven't seen a good koopaling player in months and seems like Tweek stopped playing Bowser Jr. in tournaments who was the only decent koopaling player..
Tweek still plays Jr. often. He just recently made top 3 at KTAR using Bowser Jr. and Wario.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Tweek still plays Jr. often. He just recently made top 3 at KTAR using Bowser Jr. and Wario.
Ohh nice, not sure why there's no new tournament matches going up.. thanks for the heads up :)

It took me a lot longer to get good with Lemmy than most characters, but once mastered koopalings are pretty solid in most matchups. They have a weird toolset, but it does everything you need it to :p

Their awful grab speed isn't much of an issue because you have down tilt and don't want to sit around in shield anyways. That's one thing that took me a while to realize

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
If anyone wants to play some koopaling dittos let me know :)

Looking for some mains or dedicated players though, lately I've only seen good players using koopalings not any good koopaling players lol. I want to see how other people play them I've been getting pretty good lately. My Mechakoopa has become a part of me.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Does anyone know if it's possible to catch a mechakoopa fired from the air BEFORE it touches the ground? I've never really thought about it before but seems like everytime I manage to catch someone by dropping it on them it ALWAYS grabs on.

I like dropping them on people quite a bit as a counter attack or edgeguarding tool so I'm starting to notice this more and more. It's too easy for a lot of characters to dash grab (Falcon..) if you throw it out on the ground

This is one of those things I don't have the proper tools to test properly.. so far I haven't noticed anyone grab it even when jumping at me with an aerial it either clashes with the attack or grabs onto them

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Does anyone know if it's possible to catch a mechakoopa fired from the air BEFORE it touches the ground? I've never really thought about it before but seems like everytime I manage to catch someone by dropping it on them it ALWAYS grabs on.
You mean after using Down-B but before it touches the ground? I think it would be possible, but you'd have to be falling from a really large height, so it wouldn't be practically possible on any competitive stage.

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
You mean after using Down-B but before it touches the ground? I think it would be possible, but you'd have to be falling from a really large height, so it wouldn't be practically possible on any competitive stage.
Just out of a short hop or full hop, like before it bounces and starts moving on the ground. I've had a lot of times people dash at me and I just jump back and shoot a mechakoopa and it grabs onto them.

I was asking if it's possible for the opponent to grab it, not for yourself. That wouldn't really be helpful just style points :p I can't remember any time somebody has managed to grab it before it touches the ground but have been hit by aerials while hitting people with the mechakoopa..

If you shoot it on the ground you don't have the landing lag but it seems to take time to actually activate and grab onto people making it easy to grab with dash attacks

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I was asking if it's possible for the opponent to grab it, not for yourself. That wouldn't really be helpful just style points :p I can't remember any time somebody has managed to grab it before it touches the ground but have been hit by aerials while hitting people with the mechakoopa..
Nah, the ending lag on the move is too high to grab it immediately after using the move. However, if you use Down-B from high up, you can grab the Mechakoopa just after it "bounces" when it hits the ground. If you do that, throwing the Koopa directly down will cause it to "bounce" as if you had just deployed it from the air.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob

Yayyy I got an HDTV and HD60 capture card =) Decided to make a guide on recovering with Bowser Jr. Enjoy!​

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Awesome videos! Really helpful, especially for bowser jr and the koopalings which I've been practicing a lot with lately. :grin: Thanks so much!

Been wondering how best to use his cannon fire attack. It's good with ledge guarding but it's not the best to put projectile pressure on due to the wind up time. I suppose mecha koopa's are the best bet?

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Awesome videos! Really helpful, especially for bowser jr and the koopalings which I've been practicing a lot with lately. :grin: Thanks so much!

Been wondering how best to use his cannon fire attack. It's good with ledge guarding but it's not the best to put projectile pressure on due to the wind up time. I suppose mecha koopa's are the best bet?
It's use us rare, it's biggest perk is it last so long, so you can force other options if the opponent is at a disadvantage.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob

I already used cannonball a bit, after the buffs even more so. But yeah it's definitely situational, I mainly use it before kart dashing back towards the stage or as a punish on the ground. It's a pretty good option for anyone jumping towards you.

It's actual purpose (in my opinion) is to give you a ranged followup for mechakoopa hits and to destroy your own mechakoopa or other projectiles. Can also be fired along with your moving mechakoopa to discourage picking it up. As an outright attack it's not great, against some other physical projectiles like Pikmin it is actually amazing. Kills pikmin like their nothing if Olimar thinks he can outcamp Bowser Jr. :p

It does last a long time, has a huge hitbox, and does decent uncharged damage now so it can still hit dodges or getups on occassion. Either way it's not a great move and I only use it because I'm confident with it now and use it very sparingly so I tend to hit most of the time.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Picking bjr up as my secondary. Main character is doc Mario for now on. Planning on upping the meta for us, it seems like bjr has A lot of interesting gimmicks.

wdphx

Smash Rookie
Hey ! Half-year lurker. I use Bowser Jr and the other koopalings one-hundred percent of my playing time on smash brothers 4. Tried almost every other character (sans several DLC characters that I didn't want to pay out for) time and time again only to revert back. Quite simply Bowser Jr is the most enjoyable character for me to use.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
Hello, hello. I've been playing bowser jr casually for over a year now, and I think now is the time that I pick him up as a main instead of a fun off-character. I don't seem to be doing awfully with him in tournaments, anyway. Still keeping Jiggs as a co-main for those matchups I don't like.

But I am certain now, when the time comes for me to go to Beast 6, I will try to make a dent with him. And jiggs, since she is also in dire need of representation. For the mediocre-tiers!

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Welcome flamjam! These boards can be a bit lonely sometimes, but enjoy what you can find I know I'll be around if not lurking.
Go Iggy and BowJr!

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Welcome flamjam! These boards can be a bit lonely sometimes, but enjoy what you can find I know I'll be around if not lurking.
Go Iggy and BowJr!
Did someone say Iggy

In other news, I've been taking souls here in my state at tourneys, and I'm nipping at the heels of top 10 on the PR. I'm currently #13, and I'm for sure breaking into top 10 next Saturday at the next tournament because I'm super consistent at tournaments. Going to finally get Bowser Jr. (Iggy) on Arkansas' PR, going to feel great.

At tournaments, I've used about 99% Iggy. The other 1% came from the most recent tournament I went to where I pulled out my Charizard for a set and demolished the guy.

When I graduate university next Spring, that's also when I'm going to get my first car (finally). I'm going to definitely take 2017 as a big year for my development and advancement in Smash 4, and I'm going to try my hardest to attend a major or two, and if I play out of my mind, get an incredible placement.

This is just such a ****ing fun character and I couldn't imagine playing anyone else except my secondary Charizard.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Did someone say Iggy

In other news, I've been taking souls here in my state at tourneys, and I'm nipping at the heels of top 10 on the PR. I'm currently #13, and I'm for sure breaking into top 10 next Saturday at the next tournament because I'm super consistent at tournaments. Going to finally get Bowser Jr. (Iggy) on Arkansas' PR, going to feel great.

At tournaments, I've used about 99% Iggy. The other 1% came from the most recent tournament I went to where I pulled out my Charizard for a set and demolished the guy.

When I graduate university next Spring, that's also when I'm going to get my first car (finally). I'm going to definitely take 2017 as a big year for my development and advancement in Smash 4, and I'm going to try my hardest to attend a major or two, and if I play out of my mind, get an incredible placement.

This is just such a ****ing fun character and I couldn't imagine playing anyone else except my secondary Charizard.
What's pr? I've only visited two local tourneys so I don't know the terms.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Congrats on Mod status, Bobby!!! <3
You're a dork. (Just kidding, love ya bro)

--

In other news, I completely bustered out at the tournament over the weekend, clocking out at around 33rd. However, this will not deter me from practicing and getting better, nor will I let it hinder me in terms of mindset. I will bounce back from this and do much better in 2 weeks at FNA 1.2

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone ever liked to play around with the customizations for Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings? I often like to do that, just so that Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings can have different attributes, strengths, and weaknesses.

To give people an idea on what I mean, I have examples to show...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever liked to play around with the customizations for Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings? I often like to do that, just so that Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings can have different attributes, strengths, and weaknesses.

To give people an idea on what I mean, I have examples to show...

NO WAY! That's how I customized Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings in my copy of Smash 4! Well, sort of...

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Any strong Bowser JR's up for matches? I'm a strong Sheik from UK hit me up via pm or here for friendlies

NNID: Jackyfalyfe

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Anyone know the frame advantage of Dair on sheild? I thought we were safe from grabs if we jabbed.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
R.I.P Tweek's Bowser Jr. 5.99 has taken another victim.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
bowser jr. is EASILY my favorite non-dlc newcomer in smash 4. i mean... it could have been SO easy for him to be a clone. the fact that he isn't... and that all his alt skins are the koopalings make him SUPER awesome.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
bowser jr. is EASILY my favorite non-dlc newcomer in smash 4. i mean... it could have been SO easy for him to be a clone. the fact that he isn't... and that all his alt skins are the koopalings make him SUPER awesome.
I feel the exact same way! I'll be honest, part of what's keeping me attached to Bowser Jr. in Smash 4 is the fact that the Koopalings are his alt. skins!

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
R.I.P Tweek's Bowser Jr. 5.99 has taken another victim.
Yeah it's sad but I can't blame him. I'm sure Tweek wants to win, Cloud is just a better character unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
That's it tbh. I can't go to tournaments that often myself but I will be going to one tomorrow.

I think @Yaegerbomb does a lot of work at his locals but doesn't go anywhere outside of that.

BelieveInParappa

Smash Rookie
NNID
BelieveInParappa
Hey guys, it's Parappa here. I'm a Jr. and Ryu main who secondaries Cloud and pockets several other characters (Fox, Falco, Robin, Mewtwo, a few others)

I attend VGBootCamp's Xanadu tournaments when I get the chance: I only live a half hour away. I'm a senior in high school with no driver's license, so that interferes with me being able to go, but I still love going there and I do well when I do enter. My best tournament placings there: 9th out of 56 entrants (1/26/16), 13th out of 105 entrants (3/15/16), and 17th out of 128 entrants (3/29/16). I like to think I'm a strong player and a hidden killer. On Anther's Ladder, I'm currently ranked Master I.

My favorite Koopaling is definitely Larry, but Roy is the best out of them all. Wendy is the trap queen, Ludwig is adorable with his poofy hair, and Morton is the most beautiful person in the world. Just look at that joyful smile on his face.

I'm going to Xanadu tomorrow night (as long as my dad's car doesn't break down or something). I've been hot lately, so look out for me: I think I can definitely do well since my spacing and stage control with Jr. have improved greatly.

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, it's Parappa here. I'm a Jr. and Ryu main who secondaries Cloud and pockets several other characters (Fox, Falco, Robin, Mewtwo, a few others)

I attend VGBootCamp's Xanadu tournaments when I get the chance: I only live a half hour away. I'm a senior in high school with no driver's license, so that interferes with me being able to go, but I still love going there and I do well when I do enter. My best tournament placings there: 9th out of 56 entrants (1/26/16), 13th out of 105 entrants (3/15/16), and 17th out of 128 entrants (3/29/16). I like to think I'm a strong player and a hidden killer. On Anther's Ladder, I'm currently ranked Master I.

My favorite Koopaling is definitely Larry, but Roy is the best out of them all. Wendy is the trap queen, Ludwig is adorable with his poofy hair, and Morton is the most beautiful person in the world. Just look at that joyful smile on his face.

I'm going to Xanadu tomorrow night (as long as my dad's car doesn't break down or something). I've been hot lately, so look out for me: I think I can definitely do well since my spacing and stage control with Jr. have improved greatly.
Good job dude taking out the wall at Xanadu... I hope you continue with Jr, it'd be nice to have a good representative on a highly watched stream

Top Bottom