• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You can only parry with jump, grab, and upsmash as far as I know.

And yah I'm pritty sure crouch canceling is the reason he ducks. I duck too and thats why I do it. If I miss the parry I can still survive strong aerials like Link's dair up to 200%.

Most people underestimate Yoshi's parry ability anyway. I guess they think it's too hard to be accurate with or something because most people still run in with an aerial when I'm crouching.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Ahaha I sucked so much in that match.

Our computers can run it fairly smoothly. Well, mine can. Dips a bit though.

Real problem is the netplay, desynchs sooo much.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Ahaha I sucked so much in that match.

Our computers can run it fairly smoothly. Well, mine can. Dips a bit though.

Real problem is the netplay, desynchs sooo much.
Heh, sorry. For some reason that was the only replay that got saved with p2p's recording feature.

Superstar

Smash Champion
P2P NTSC. You can tell the later by the 60FPS part.

It'll be a while before "standard" computers can play it. But it's possible to for about 600 bucks.

Desynchs hardcore though and spikes every now and then.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Theres a long to go before the melee online scene gets big exists

You need really fast computers with good graphics cards and solve the ds problem/delay/lag problems

YoLeo

Smash Rookie
Hi everybody! [Welcome post time, hopefully some gentle souls out there will welcome me]

I'm relatively new to this board. Just to provide some quick background on myself, my name is Leo and I've been playing Smash 64 since god knows when, like most of you. I first discovered the existence of this forum some year or so ago, and though I was mildly intrigued by the amount of discussion here, I haven't really found the time to come back and mingle/become a regular. I used to be quite the forum poster on another forum so I'm pretty familiar with forum-speak, the lingo, or w/e infamous quotes/ videos.

As far as my Smash experience goes, I believe that I've always been an avid Smash 64 player. I'm sure everyone goes through the phase where they feel undefeatable at the game. You meet people who talk the most trash (And in my experience, offered money to me if I beat them), just to be sadly disappointed by the fact that they are a Kirby player and try to down-B you repeatedly. Anyway, not that any of you asked/might care, everything kinda began because my 2 older brothers used to play 2v2 matches with their friends, dual Ness vs dual Kirby. I was always pushed aside and never allowed to play, especially since I was an awkward 5th wheel and played Fox. So I slowly began to train on my own and began to realize that even though the 4 other guys were pretty good (At this point, consistently spiking/intercepting each other, just getting into combo'ing), I would play them 1v1 every now and then and was able to beat them.

To make a long story short, I felt that I started to become pretty adept at the game, using Fox and Ness pretty consistently. Only in the past 2 years did I start learning how to play an adept Falcon/Yoshi/Mario/DK/Kirby. I've browsed these forums for a pretty good deal recently to try and catchup on everything that I've missed or learn about new things. I'm still far from considering myself an awesome player, but any random competition for me is pretty easy at this point. After reading the "Learning Curve" post (Which is extremely well written by the way), I'd consider myself between the Level 4 and 5A stage. I'm not gonna lie, I felt pretty unstoppable a 2-3 years ago, but then I started browsing these forums and watching Isai vids on YouTube, therefore it all resulted in a more humbled judgment of my own skill.

I tried to make the transition into Melee. I actually felt that I was learning at a faster pace in Melee than I was in 64, but after watching videos of competitive matches, I realized that I didn't want to invest so much time to become that skilled at it. I've spent/wasted enough time on 64 anyway. I've only met 1 or 2 players who are better than me at Melee, but I sure don't consider myself that great at the game. The speed in Melee was starting to give me a headache too, watching Marth/Fox/Falcon players running around in circles. I tried Brawl for a bit, but in all honesty, I haven't played that game more than 5-10 times. Still a pretty big noob in that game, but I can at least hold my own (Wat chu kno about dat Shiek ultimate smash???!).

Soooooo yeah. I figure that the community for this game is probably pretty small, and hopefully close-knit! I hope to become a regular around here and improve my game. I've been working as a RA in the SacState res-halls for 2 years now and I'm finally hosting my first Smash Bros. program on Saturday. It's kind of a "beat me and I'll buy you lunch" program, and I've had a lot of people talking trash to me already. I'll let you guys know how it goes :]

PS: Some of the things I really suck at/need heavy work on is grasping DJC with Ness/Yoshi (Essential... I know), understanding the concept of advanced DI, and having the mindset to tilt more. Hopefully these are things I can learn/pickup better as time goes on here. I've never played on keyboard/online, and don't really plan to, hehe.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Hi everybody! [Welcome post time, hopefully some gentle souls out there will welcome me]
Hey man! Good to have more 64 smashers here.
Nice intro and hope you stick around.

But with that in mind, allow me to nitpick ...

After reading the "Learning Curve" post (Which is extremely well written by the way), I'd consider myself between the Level 4 and 5A stage.
If I remember the Learning Curve stuff, then sorry to say, but if you haven't played any good players online yet, you're most definitely not Level 4 and 5a. It may seem that way and everyone thinks that at first because they **** everyone they know, but fact of the matter is that when it comes to smash64, like you said, people talk **** and think they're good, and they almost all suck (I've had funny similar experiences like you, people saying they're so good and just being utter n00bs). This leads to your belief that you must be one of the better players out there. (On a random note, Melee tends to have a higher quality of player it seems.)

Anyway, even if I thought I might be wrong in saying that, I then read this part of the post which proves it:

Some of the things I really suck at/need heavy work on is grasping DJC with Ness/Yoshi (Essential... I know), understanding the concept of advanced DI, and having the mindset to tilt more.
Anyway this is not ****-talking either, just more humble realizations need to be made on your part.

I've never played on keyboard/online, and don't really plan to, hehe.
Playing online doesn't mean playing with keyboard. You can do it that way, but I (and many others) play with controllers. I use an XBOX360 controller plugged into USB, others use other controllers, others use N64 controllers with USB adapters.

Playing online is the best way to play these days, you get a real challenge and you get better. It's tons of fun and if you can go out and grab a controller of some kind, or a USB adapter for your N64 controller, get into it! Beware though, some of those N64-USB adapters suck... I know from experience and have an easier time with the XBOX360 controller. I still play console of course.

Check out the stickies for info on setting up online play. Then add some folks from the player's compendium thread and get playing! P2P is the best way to go. I'd be glad to face off against you sometime.

Cheers

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was just going to say what Daed said. Unless you've played good players that at least some people have heard of around here, I doubt you're between 4 and 5a. More likely between 2 and 3 :\

YoLeo

Smash Rookie
I appreciate the feedback. I don't doubt for a second that you guys no what you're talking about, but at the same time, it's difficult to rate me if you haven't see me play at all :ohwell:

I don't mean to sound conceited by rating myself a 4-5 (I definitely don't consider myself a full-on 5 by any means), but I was just going off of what I read in the Learning Curve thread. I'm well aware of Z-canceling and short hops, and how to properly execute them consistently. I did mention that I'm not FULLY adept with tilt attacks, but I don't overlook them or underrate their usefulness. I definitely feel as though I went through 3A and 3B phases already, I still throw a good deal, but it's because I primarily play Ness. Edge hogging, spiking, chasing players off the stage are easily second-nature to me, and I believe that I properly execute them (Comparing to what I see in "good" videos). I definitely feel that there are many tactics that I CAN'T do or can't execute properly/consistently, as I stated in my OP. I KNOW there are many players out there who are probably better than me, but I have yet to take this game extremely seriously to the point of training (Online, finding other players of similar caliber, etc.). I pretty much just went line for line from the description of a "4", and aside from tilts, I feel like I fit it so maybe declaring myself just a 4 would be more accurate. :)

As for playing online, I honestly just don't have the time to explore that. I'm sure it's fun and will probably be one of the only ways to upgrade my level or learn new things, but I don't really have the time to find the proper hardware and software, let alone spending the money/time figuring it out, getting used to it, and spending lots of time playing it. Being a RA is extremely time-consuming, also the fact that I'm starting my 4th year on top of work this summer. :(

Skrlx

Smash Champion
www.galaxy64.com/download.html Go there to download a pre-made pj64k folder that requires nothing to setup except for configuring your controller and setting the rom directory it also includes the ssb64 rom (scroll all the way down)

And here's the guide to setting it up. (it's really not that hard)
http://www.galaxy64.com/Howto/howto-pj64k.html

As for the proper hardware 99.9% of semi-old and modern computers can run N64 games... and the .1 percent they need to throw away their 12+ year old PC

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
My 5 year old PC couldn't run SSB64 at 60FPS constant.

Of course, Celeron CPUs suck.
My tower is 4 years old, and none of it has been upgraded (excluding my DVD drive, but that doesn't affect gaming performance) and I can run Smash at 60 fps perfectly over online. And my graphics card shares my RAM with my CPU RAM and it's only a total of 1 GB and I play at a resolution of 1680 x 1050. No johns.

Superstar

Smash Champion
No Johns really means nothing if it still won't run 60FPS. 55ish FPS brought constant complaints. Said complaints stopped when I got my gaming rig. The only thing that might be interfering with it is Spybot which slows old computers down. Even my modern laptop couldn't run Smash very well [better than the 4 year old]. I attribute it to wireless and how it's low clock speed duo, 2Ghz.

Also, CPU matters more for emulation than graphics. My CPU had a good clock but it was from a bad line [Celerons]. That and the manufacturer was EMachines, which I hear makes ****ty PCs.

I'm just tired of the "throw away your 10yearold PC" comments that people use way too often.

Specs of 5 year old tower:
-2.66Ghz Celeron
-256MB DDR333 RAM [recently upgraded. When I used it after that it ran 60FPS but dipped often enough to be annoying].
-Crappy Intel GPU that I don't remember.

Most stuff newer than 6 years will run Smash fine, but if you want to go competitive expect complaints.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Your computer is better than mine [my old one].

Pentium IVs as a general rule > Celerons [Celerons have low cache/bus speeds compared to Pentiums IV hear]. That, and mine was a 2.66Ghz, yours is a 2.8Ghz.

Dell sucks, but it's better than EMachines. :p

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
True. Dell is absolutely terrible, though; like, you can't upgrade them, the video card is built into the motherboard and it sucks the RAM from your CPU, and they're like twice as expensive as other computers that you can buy. It's ridiculous.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
newegg is the best and is one of the only ways to get pcs that are really good. All you need to know is how to buld one and its not that hard. It will be better then anything that you can buy at a store and for less money as will.

Superstar

Smash Champion
^ That's how I got my current PC.

3Ghz Intel Duo [highly overclockable to 4Ghz but I don't bother]
500W PSU
4GB RAM [only 2GBs worth are in]
600GB HD
9600GT.

600 bucks, minus the monitor and probably because I already had an OS. And I beefed up the price by getting an Antec Case. :p

Funny thing is Dawn, I knew someone online with a Dell Inspiron 531. Told him the process of upgrading and such, cause that computer is very upgradeable. Upgraded to a 9600GT [would have said 9800GT but was out of his budget], and he upgraded his PSU. Upgraded to 2-3GB DDR800 RAM. If he wants he can also upgrade his CPU to 3Ghz duo.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
This is what I got for $1199.84 from newegg back in Dec

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA
Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen 16:9 LCD Monitor
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
RAIDMAX AZTEC ATX-619WB Black/ Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
Antec EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active
SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Now this Pc will last me for years and years, right now it can run any game thats out there on max.

Top Bottom