• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Olikus

Smash Champion
do i have to call you a hipster again

do norwegians know what death is? i know you guys have long life expectancies but im pretty sure that you've encountered the concept before

it's like you've lost a stock in smash bros, except... you never respawn... the game just keeps going and everyone left behind is just kinda lost

jfc why are people anywhere near attempting to defend that
Dont know how you concluded with me taking a side and defending it. I just thougt it was funny how everyone was analysing each other posts.

OOPS

looks like i liked asianaussie's post

i hope this wont displease olikus
np. I never expected more from you. Best part was when star king liked your post.
Norwegians don't know death, just death metal.
fair enough

Olikus

Smash Champion
in other news. My flight got canceled and im stuck in miami for 2 hours. Its ****ing hot here. How can you florida smashers survive this heat?

Morin0

Smash Lord
Not sure what "staunch against Melee" even means but it's almost like people in a community can have a variety of opinions on playing or watching other games.
Maybe I see more of the vocal minority that drown out the majority opinion, but there are quite a few people in the smash 64 community that hate Melee. Have you ever seen Isai's streams? Absolutely every single one turns into a melee hate chat. It's just annoying. It's more of a generalization than anything – my post was not directed towards you, but you reminded me of this topic. Of course people within a community can have a variety of opinions that differ. That's a given. <_< I sometimes watch Smash 4. Do I expect someone like Caneut to do the same? No.

Last edited:

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever seen Isai's streams? Absolutely every single one turns into a melee hate chat.
Tbf that's a probably a reaction to the 50 "Isai would you ever consider playing melee again?" questions.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Tbf that's a probably a reaction to the 50 "Isai would you ever consider playing melee again?" questions.
This very much. Also when dumb non-64 players start saying things about the game that they clearly don't know **** about (isai never loses!, 64 doesn't have DI, etc). I think the only few people that legit dislike melee are Studstill and a few others.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I dislike melee as a side-product of disliking the melee community. What you see commonly happen on the isai streams are a few examples why.

"isai when you are coming back to melee"
"why don't you guys just play melee"
"lol 1 touch = death"

Then there's the obnoxious melee community by itself. While we joke about 64 being the best game ever, melee players are unironically talking about melee being the best smash game ever. To them every mechanic in their game is perfect and their game is flawless. To them, smash is melee and melee is smash and everything else is a game that shouldn't be played.

That being said, the highest level of melee is pretty entertaining to watch (everything below is pretty boring to watch) and this weekend was evo. You should watch the finals of every game at evo, even if you don't play it.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I agree with Fire. I don't hate melee the game, I hate melee the community. That community, along with brawl/pm/sm4sh, I feel is toxic. The people ignorantly insert themselves into conversation, they worship and idolize talented players, and they have no grasp on the world and social dynamics outside of the socially forgiving video game community. I just feel that these other communities give competitive and casual gaming a bad reputation and they make the term "basement virgin" a reality. There is nothing wrong with someone who lives in their parents basement and is a virgin, but the stereotypical behavior that is associated with the term (which is how its used, its not used literally) is self destructive to the person and its own community. It makes me feel bad for them but I've tried talking to these types of people and you just stop feeling bad when they do it to themselves and refuse to see any perspective outside of their paganism for the melee gods. I joined smash through brawl and for years I was embarrassed to admit publicly I played the game because of how socially inept the community was, it wasn't until a couple years ago, and more so a few months after that, in which I felt comfortable admitting I played smash to non smashers since the 64 community was so tolerable and normal. I admittedly enjoy watching top level melee. Its far more impressive than most other games, but spend a day on reddit, go to a melee only tournament, go to the other games subforums, and you will end up hating the game by extension of its community. Did melee create the community or did the community just so happen to latch on to melee? I don't know, but unfortunately the game is guilty by association.

We had a tournament in PA this past weekend which featured all the games. Great turnout, great venue, but unfortunately since we were all playing in doubles WF the door was open for some melee/sm4sh kids to hop on commentary. Ignore the close set and the 64 doubles gameplay, instead torture yourself by listening to their commentary. This isn't an outlier, this is how the casual smasher in the other games is. This is the embodiment of the melee community. Not only is the few things they say about 64 wrong, but these people try to infect 64 with discussion of the other games. When singles GF is uploaded make sure you stab yourself in the face and listen to their commentary again.

I know people are different, I understand some people are introverted, shy, antisocial, whatever. I don't judge someone for certain aspects of their personality. But regardless of what kind of person you are, understand that melee paganism, discussion of other games, ignorantly trying to have a discussion assuming others are more ignorant than yourself, and self promotion when you're not fooling anyone on how bad you are at the game are things that, to me, are intolerable.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
yeah the couple times that i watched melee players 'commenting on a 64 game' were pretty annoying... when they weren't completely ignoring the action to talk about how melee was better, they were either patronizing 64 or spreading hear-say about it.

Last edited:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
since the 64 community was so tolerable and normal.
lolwut.

Isn't the 64 community generally accepted as being extremely toxic online and OK offline?

All communities have good and bad. All the smash games are different and what one regards as the best is opinion.

Shears

Smash Master
lolwut.

Isn't the 64 community generally accepted as being extremely toxic online and OK offline?

All communities have good and bad. All the smash games are different and what one regards as the best is opinion.
In person, I don't ever go online to kaillera or skype, the 64 community is much more normal and tolerable than the other communities.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I don't play Melee because I've never had a gamecube and I don't like the crazy tech skill requirement but I can watch it and be entertained and I have a decent idea of what's going on. I also occasionally enjoy watching Marvel vs Capcom (2 and 3) even though I have no idea what's going on and have never played either game.

I don't have much hate for the Melee community either - I think a lot of people are looking at a few bad apples. There's a lot of really dedicated players who have kept Melee alive for a long long time. I think Quake (the game I play most now) players are way less nice than smash players - some of which is due to team modes in Quake (can get stuck with a bad player on your team causing your team to lose even if you play really well, which is pretty rage inducing) and some of which is due to the game being primarily played online (as opposed to smash where a lot of interaction in the community happens at in person tournaments, and most people aren't assholes in person even if they might be online). But in any community there are going to be a few bad apples.

I do of course hate everyone who supports the L cancelling mechanic though.
(Thread derail engaged)

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I don't play Melee because I've never had a gamecube and I don't like the crazy tech skill requirement but I can watch it and be entertained and I have a decent idea of what's going on. I also occasionally enjoy watching Marvel vs Capcom (2 and 3) even though I have no idea what's going on and have never played either game.

I don't have much hate for the Melee community either - I think a lot of people are looking at a few bad apples. There's a lot of really dedicated players who have kept Melee alive for a long long time. I think Quake (the game I play most now) players are way less nice than smash players - some of which is due to team modes in Quake (can get stuck with a bad player on your team causing your team to lose even if you play really well, which is pretty rage inducing) and some of which is due to the game being primarily played online (as opposed to smash where a lot of interaction in the community happens at in person tournaments, and most people aren't ******** in person even if they might be online). But in any community there are going to be a few bad apples.

(Thread derail engaged)
The pagan gods of melee are definitely the biggest problem. When they start sacrificing basement virgins to them hoping for forgiveness of missed Marth waveshine combos will you then hate the melee community?

ѕupa

Smash Rookie
64 does not boast the same amount of numbers that Melee and Sm4sh does in terms of popularity, tournament attendees, and even posters. It's a very tight-knit community that is mostly comprised of people in the late teens early twenties which is going to make the community seem more mature in general; everyone also mostly knows each other. That's not to say I don't think 64 has it's flaws, and that there isn't moments where I want to roll my eyes, especially when there are people like Smasherx, Cuddly, Zeus, and any other ~~toxic~~ player(s) I can possibly think of. I will say that such toxicity is more contained online and only to Kaillera, but it's still present. Yeah, it frustrates me when Melee or Sm4sh people pretend to understand the game, but that's just ignorance on their part. I don't think we should shun those who are genuinely interested even if that's far and few between, but I digress.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

I don't have much hate for the Melee community either - I think a lot of people are looking at a few bad apples. There's a lot of really dedicated players who have kept Melee alive for a long long time. I think Quake (the game I play most now) players are way less nice than smash players - some of which is due to team modes in Quake (can get stuck with a bad player on your team causing your team to lose even if you play really well, which is pretty rage inducing) and some of which is due to the game being primarily played online (as opposed to smash where a lot of interaction in the community happens at in person tournaments, and most people aren't ******** in person even if they might be online). But in any community there are going to be a few bad apples.

(Thread derail engaged)
are u referring to the fact that aerials need to be lag canceled? ive always thought of z canceling as like driving a stick shift car. Sure it's totally unnecessary in this day in age but once you get used to it you don't really wanna give it up. I can't imagine playing 64 without z canceling... wouldn't be quite as fun. As for new games yeah they should make all aerials autocancel in the future

oh and @ Shears Shears just watched that video assuming u were overreacting but damn that was pretty bad. In my experience in Orlando pretty much all the melee guys have a lot of respect for 64 its just the smash 4 kids u gotta watch out for. It might be that Orlando has a lot of melee players who have been around for ever compared to other newer scenes that are popping up all over the place with all these young ignorant kids

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Z canceling is an important tech. If it was automatic then the game wouldn't be as good. Its form. Every sport has form, they are things that are to be done always but they exist because not only are they a stepping stone, but if your form falters then you can be severely punished. Like sports, z canceling is form and a good smasher needs good form. If they miss a z cancel they get punished severely.

B Link

Smash Lord
Well, no one's uploaded an ssb64 combo video or anything in a while, so I thought I'd contribute something:

"SHOCKED" -- A Pikachu Gameplay Video, by B Link.

There's nothing Kero or Gerson level in it, but it should still be entertaining for some.

EDIT: I re-uploaded it because the original video was missing a clip.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Well, no one's uploaded an ssb64 combo video or anything in a while, so I thought I'd contribute something:

"SHOCKED" -- A Pikachu Gameplay Video, by B Link.

There's nothing Kero or Gerson level in it, but it should still be entertaining for some.
very nice! is this recent footage? you have some really good tech that makes me wanna practice some new things...

Sedda

Smash Champion
Z canceling is an important tech. If it was automatic then the game wouldn't be as good. Its form. Every sport has form, they are things that are to be done always but they exist because not only are they a stepping stone, but if your form falters then you can be severely punished. Like sports, z canceling is form and a good smasher needs good form. If they miss a z cancel they get punished severely.
how does this make the game better? if you had to press two buttons instead of one to jump, would that make the game better?

damnit ballin

YBOMBB

Smash Rookie
Nice Vid B link, i forgot how u pwnded my yoshi in flaoc 1, thx for the reminder, also whats the name of that intense song in the beginning of the vid, i like it

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
In person, I don't ever go online to kaillera or skype, the 64 community is much more normal and tolerable than the other communities.
This is coming from someone who started with melee and still plays it semi-regularly.

The melee community itself is actually quite nice, just not in large groups, especially on the internet. I can't think of another way to put this but the opinions of the melee community, especially the online one such as on well reddit, about certain aspects of gameplay, time, stages, etc. are a bit annoying. I mean when people are assuming things too quickly and going to twitter (such as the recent absolutely **** Redbull fiasco regarding EVO) after they put in more effort in expanding interest that most other places or the hate on VGBC by certain players.

The only scene I didn't like in general was the barlw scene. Not just the game but the way people approached. No sense of community.

Also nice vid B Link

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Well me and my brother will just watch you guys have fun at smash con :( we couldn't go and registration is over now ;-;

Oops wrong thread, @ Sangoku Sangoku @Madao can you move that comment to social thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
are u referring to the fact that aerials need to be lag canceled? ive always thought of z canceling as like driving a stick shift car. Sure it's totally unnecessary in this day in age but once you get used to it you don't really wanna give it up. I can't imagine playing 64 without z canceling... wouldn't be quite as fun. As for new games yeah they should make all aerials autocancel in the future
Thought you guys would have been around long enough to see THE LIGHT on this issue

Top Bottom