• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Steve while we`re here can you hook it up with a 'good definition of true mathematical randomness',
Edit for ballin:
I think Steve was alluding to how infinity really isn`t a number and is janky anyway, algebra-wise, or to layman rather, not that it`s 'ridiculous'. Of course they are mathematical concepts, just some are more concrete than others and 'infinity' and 'randomness' are a few of the concepts that are usually diverged from their correlating constructs in reality. ON infinity, for example, it`s better to think of it as a direction, +inf and -inf on ends of the number line. This is pretty easy to imagine, just start walking around a coastline or even back and forth across the US, counting each step. You`ll keep adding one, and the number of steps will always grow, never shrink (so you know the direction) but it will also never end on a particular sum, i.e you can always take another step.
"Infinity" is just a mathematical concept that is useful. Just like "negative numbers", "fractions", "imaginary numbers", "real numbers" etc. Without the concept of "infinity" we wouldn't have extremely useful branches of math like calculus. Similarly, without the concepts of "randomness" or "probability" we'd lose a whole bunch of useful scientific models in economics, physics, biology, meteorology, etc.

I know you're not really disagreeing; just clarifying my point against any "infinity isn't a number" and "infinity doesn't exist in the real world" claims. It's just a useful concept like everything else in math.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
how are we forgetting when jerry got arrested for open container and left M2K stranded in philly
Open container isn't an arrestable offense. I've had tons of these and they're just like parking tickets. He must've been a minor or doing something else or being belligerent. Speaking of open container, I still have an outstanding open container ticket I got at penn state that I haven't paid yet...

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
while driving?

iirc he had an open beer in the car while getting m2k and it spilled or something

or maybe he was just drinking on the highway idr too well

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Oh I didn't realize it was while operating a motor vehicle. Yeah thats arrestable, if it was him just walking around outside with it then its a slap on the wrist with a $100 fine..

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
buddy got caught with an open bottle of rum at rutgers (we were all over 21) and got slapped with a $450 fine

perhaps it's state-dependent

Shears

Smash Master
The fine amount probably differs, but if you're not in a vehicle and just a pedestrian outside with an open container, I'm almost certain no state will arrest you for it. I can personally attest to Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts as states that won't arrest you. Also New Orleans and Vegas don't arrest you but they also don't give you a fine since there are no open container laws there.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
@ ballin4life ballin4life
Precisely. Although I paused at 'fractions', it would seem these exist quite concretely in some cases.
All numbers (including the natural numbers) are mathematical concepts. They just vary in how obvious the applications to the everyday "real world".

I'd say in terms of how obvious the everyday applications are it goes like this:
natural numbers >>> fractions >>>>> negative numbers >>>>>>>>> real numbers >*100 imaginary/complex numbers >*10000 ordinal numbers, surreal numbers, hyperreal numbers, etc.

The natural numbers are the most obvious by far, but fractions are a lot less obvious since at some level one could say everything comes down to a whole number of atoms/particles/whatever. I'm sure historically plenty of societies got by without really wondering about 5 divided by 2: they'd just say the equivalent of "well 2 doesn't go into 5".

Last edited:

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
Going to apex 2014 and Zenith 2014 was actually the first time I went to NJ and Brooklyn by myself. I was lucky enough to meet some smashers at the second train for Apex but not so much with Zenith...

Its nothing to brag about but long story short I got lost and landed in the ghetto. Simple but its Brooklyn and nothing says "please rob me" then a 17 year old walking down the wrong side of town with 2 bags worth of electronics and valuables.

Could be exaggerating all of this but I'm pretty sure because I survived because I "blend" in. It was also raining, if it wasn't I wouldn't have worn the sweat shirt and my god it would been awkward walking in the streets with the word "Killer" in giant letters in both front and back in of my shirt. the font had a skull too. I pretty much would have been asking for it. lol

I'd tell ya, it was times like this I wish I could DI in real life.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Going to apex 2014 and Zenith 2014 was actually the first time I went to NJ and Brooklyn by myself. I was lucky enough to meet some smashers at the second train for Apex but not so much with Zenith...

Its nothing to brag about but long story short I got lost and landed in the ghetto. Simple but its Brooklyn and nothing says "please rob me" then a 17 year old walking down the wrong side of town with 2 bags worth of electronics and valuables.

Could be exaggerating all of this but I'm pretty sure because I survived because I "blend" in. It was also raining, if it wasn't I wouldn't have worn the sweat shirt and my god it would been awkward walking in the streets with the word "Killer" in giant letters in both front and back in of my shirt. the font had a skull too. I pretty much would have been asking for it. lol

I'd tell ya, it was times like this I wish I could DI in real life.
yup im not going to apex

Studstill

Smash Ace
Or they just cut the apple in half and didn`t worry about whether or not there was algebra to represent it, lmao.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Kero said I should post this, and I obey my (former) High Chancellor. The social thread seemed appropriate.

Kero:
There's been so much hate in the 64 community recently and I can't stand it, I've talked to a lot of players about it individually like I'm talking to you. But most are too stubborn to change. I admire the fact that you too are looking for a solution
Me:
Almost all arguments I`ve seen on SB are borne not of an inclusionary, compromise, 'we all, all different ones of us' play the same game mentality. That`s the problem with most the backroom they act like they somehow own the game....
Which you do
Which I do.
Everyone who plays it does, equally.
That`s what games are about, maybe you younger guys (really, no offense)
don`t know, but back in the day it was like
HOLY **** YOU DO THIS TOOOOOO
AWESOME MAN I LOVE YOU
That was 14 years of this game for me
It`s where I`m comfortable
I`m really uncomfortable in this environment, of hate and **** you and I`m better you scrub ****
really uncomfortable, and it shows, a lot.
Becuase I know how those environments work, too: They work by the biggest, nastiest dude going **** you, until someone bigger and nastier comes along.
And then no one is playing smash.
Anyway, tears for the past, hopes for the future.

Last edited:

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
gav rolls off the tongue better. And I try to use both real names and nicks.

and for kicks, inasmuch as I still crack up at wotg's maniac alpha jeans, anything scrubstill says, gav's hilarious reactions to anything he disagrees with or dislikes, etcetc.

like how marbles uses macros. Rofl

you should join the IRC for realtime gav interaction simulation. It's pretty nifty technology
You can keep my name out your mouth, kid.

Lol, this kid really thinks he can dog me any kind of way he wants to. You can keep trying to bait me like you do gav, it's not going to work. I don't waste my time on a fake lame as **** psychotic dweeb who just hides behind his computer talkin **** to people, knowing damn well his lame ass wouldn't do it irl. Even too stupid to realize he proves my theory right every time he has something to say about me.

Also, go ahead and like my comment or come up with something witty to say, delusional ****boy.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You can keep my name out your mouth, kid.

Lol, this kid really thinks he can dog me any kind of way he wants to. You can keep trying to bait me like you do gav, it's not going to work. I don't waste my time on a fake lame as **** psychotic dweeb who just hides behind his computer talkin **** to people, knowing damn well his lame *** wouldn't do it irl. Even too stupid to realize he proves my theory right every time he has something to say about me.

Also, go ahead and like my comment or come up with something witty to say, delusional ****boy.
You can keep trying to bait me like you do gav, it's not going to work.
Not even taking sides, just pointing out that your anger and insult filled response to cobr DOES show that his bait worked.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I was going to bang taggoku and tell him to indouble kero for crying fract

brb rip`d

Edit: I`m goddamn hilarious.
Edit: ....to me.
Edit: and McGodd Maafia, apparently.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
sangoku hates us because we made his job difficult or something

and by us i mean kero and stranded obviously

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Stressful. Flying to PAX tomorrow and still putting my costume together. Gah!

Top Bottom