• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Maybe you guys recognize my tag from offline tourneys? I live in NY and attend PM and Brawl tourneys when I get the chance. I've been wanting to go to smash 64 tournies and meet some of the players for a while. I'm looking forward to Apex in January. :^)
Perhaps. We might have played in a pm event or brawl back when i was playing, espec if you have played in either Manhattan or at nyu (or northern NJ ages ago)

mixa

Banned via Warnings

Thank you Kero for you guidance. I finally beat this bs game. I should've known that the upper right corner is where it works.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Oh I realize that. I just found it funny that I failed so many times at bottom right, but the first time I did upper right I won.

Check out this pimpin' jazz, guys:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
With the tournament scene in 64 basically dead in the northeast, the only tournaments with competition are basically zenith and apex now. I feel like I'm going to do poorly at apex due to rust from not having enough efficient practice. Anyone have suggestions on how to practice for apex?

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
With the tournament scene in 64 basically dead in the northeast, the only tournaments with competition are basically zenith and apex now. I feel like I'm going to do poorly at apex due to rust from not having enough efficient practice. Anyone have suggestions on how to practice for apex?
Play online. Also try living in the south if you think the tourney scene up north is bad.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
come play with me and cezdogggg

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Play online. Also try living in the south if you think the tourney scene up north is bad.
I alt a lot on servers and when I do I use a different alt every day. I did it because nobody would play me when I went on with my actual name, but it turns out nobody wants to play with randoms either. What an interesting dilemma
That option has already run out for me

come play with me and cezdogggg
that gas money tho

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
or if we could like, play online??

**** would be awesome

"yo man **** online, ****'s FAKE smash, console 4 LYFE, etc. etc."

Sangoku

Smash Master
Salt note: I am worse than someone who can't short hop, can't z-cancel well and has bad techskill all around. I wonder why I still bother trying to play this game.

(ps: no offense to that player, I'm angry at myself)

Sedda

Smash Champion
Salt note: I am worse than someone who can't short hop, can't z-cancel well and has bad techskill all around. I wonder why I still bother trying to play this game.

european LD

he'll have good techskill soon enough

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I wonder why I still bother trying to play this game.
look into ur soul and figure why u play the game what do you wanna get from it, stuff like that
then it's not too difficult to figure what u need to make the desire to go away
i havent played it for a long while but more importantly havent touched the emulator as well
u can do it

Sangoku

Smash Master
look into ur soul and figure why u play the game what do you wanna get from it, stuff like that
then it's not too difficult to figure what u need to make the desire to go away
i havent played it for a long while but more importantly havent touched the emulator as well
u can do it
1) I guess I want to have fun. Then the next question is how do I have fun with the game, and that's the tricky part. For me the fun part of the game is comboing. But since I can't do that well in a play to win setting, I get frustrated 99% of the matches I play.

2) My main problem when trying to quit is always having something related to smash that I'm connected with. First step if I really wanted to quit completely would be to get banned from smashboards (or simply stop coming, as I did once).

3) Kero, unlike you I don't like players being pushed to their limits or anything like that. In the same way I don't like tournaments and competitions.

I'm not even sure if I want to quit or not to begin with though.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think everyone have had ups and downs with this game. But deep down inside we all love something about it. I hope you stay Squall, and find back the joy that made you start playing the game in the first place.

This actually goes for everyone.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
You've probably read or have been told this before, but it never hurts to be told again. With an attitude like that, you are doomed to fail, Sangoku. Your personal attitude towards the game matters a great deal in your performance. If you don't think you can become a top player, or even semi-top (A-B tier) players, you simply will not reach that level because your mindset will just not allow it. But, if you believe firmly that you can improve, and you have a certain level of dedication towards that improvement, you will find that you will get better a lot more quickly, and the levels of enjoyment will likely rise.

Watch your matches, and think a little outside the box. If an old-LD(or your euro version of older LD) can beat you despite having much worse tech skill than you, there are probably things you did wrong that you may not even realize, and there are probably things he is doing correctly that you didn't exactly realize either. You don't need god-like tech skill to have decent smarts; watch your videos and you are likely to find that you are making grave errors in some areas, and often they are pretty easily correctable. After every punish that does not end in a KO or edgeguard KO, ask yourself: What would have turned that into a KO? What did I do to drop the combo? How did he evade my edgeguard, and what could I have done to cover more options? Picking up on your mistakes and actively thinking to correct them is an integral part of anything in life, not just competition in a video game.

I was in a case like yours maybe a few months ago where I just wasn't having as much fun with the game as I should have. I wasn't happy with my performance against good/better players than me, and I would often get overall demoralized whenever a really good player would maul me with multiple characters. That feeling of 'no hope' is terrible, and I hate the feeling just as much as anyone else, but it is a life lesson to not give up when you're being steamrolled by another person. On one hand, you shouldn't be playing the game if you are not having fun, but on the other hand there are probably dozens of things that you could add to your game, both character related and mindset related, that will increase your fun levels dramatically. You consider yourself a non-play-to-win type player, which by no means is a bad thing. I'm not one of those players either, one that only focuses on a win-screen. The onslaught of win-screens in my favor will come in time, when I truly deserve them. Until then I am diligent on learning every facet of my character's(Fox McCloud) movement and punish/combo/spacing options. Trust me, by no means am I the most confident type of person around in life, but you have to believe in yourself to get anywhere profitable in this planet, and this includes the 15 year old video game we all know and love.

TL;DR= Having a 'guess I might as well stop playing' type mindset is horrible. Work to fix it; by no means is it a 1 day process but if you can improve your in-game self confidence, you will likely find that you will grow as a player at a much faster rate.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Thanks for taking the time to write all this, even though I didn't mean to ask for help. I will try to keep that in mind.

BTW, saying I want to quit is unrelated to me losing to that player. I still think I should quit when I play someone significantly better, significantly worse, or at my level. I don't want to put any blame on this player, the only problem is me and my mindset.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I don't think self-fulfilling prophecies are fair in this context. We're not strolling through the mentality isle and putting the bad one in the cart (aka the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries).

3) I don't like players being pushed to their limits or anything like that. In the same way I don't like tournaments and competitions.
I was in the swimming team while swiftly dodging competitions. When finally the ultimatum came that I needed to compete in order to continue to be a part of the team, I quit.

But you said you're not sure you wanna quit, so probably working on 1) is the way to go. I like the play-to-win setting so I can't help.

Last edited:

Maliki

Smash Ace

I feel like you are always putting yourself down, I bet you are way better than you give yourself credit for!

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
You've probably read or have been told this before, but it never hurts to be told again. With an attitude like that, you are doomed to fail, Sangoku. Your personal attitude towards the game matters a great deal in your performance. If you don't think you can become a top player, or even semi-top (A-B tier) players, you simply will not reach that level because your mindset will just not allow it. But, if you believe firmly that you can improve, and you have a certain level of dedication towards that improvement, you will find that you will get better a lot more quickly, and the levels of enjoyment will likely rise.

Watch your matches, and think a little outside the box. If an old-LD(or your euro version of older LD) can beat you despite having much worse tech skill than you, there are probably things you did wrong that you may not even realize, and there are probably things he is doing correctly that you didn't exactly realize either. You don't need god-like tech skill to have decent smarts; watch your videos and you are likely to find that you are making grave errors in some areas, and often they are pretty easily correctable. After every punish that does not end in a KO or edgeguard KO, ask yourself: What would have turned that into a KO? What did I do to drop the combo? How did he evade my edgeguard, and what could I have done to cover more options? Picking up on your mistakes and actively thinking to correct them is an integral part of anything in life, not just competition in a video game.

I was in a case like yours maybe a few months ago where I just wasn't having as much fun with the game as I should have. I wasn't happy with my performance against good/better players than me, and I would often get overall demoralized whenever a really good player would maul me with multiple characters. That feeling of 'no hope' is terrible, and I hate the feeling just as much as anyone else, but it is a life lesson to not give up when you're being steamrolled by another person. On one hand, you shouldn't be playing the game if you are not having fun, but on the other hand there are probably dozens of things that you could add to your game, both character related and mindset related, that will increase your fun levels dramatically. You consider yourself a non-play-to-win type player, which by no means is a bad thing. I'm not one of those players either, one that only focuses on a win-screen. The onslaught of win-screens in my favor will come in time, when I truly deserve them. Until then I am diligent on learning every facet of my character's(Fox McCloud) movement and punish/combo/spacing options. Trust me, by no means am I the most confident type of person around in life, but you have to believe in yourself to get anywhere profitable in this planet, and this includes the 15 year old video game we all know and love.

TL;DR= Having a 'guess I might as well stop playing' type mindset is horrible. Work to fix it; by no means is it a 1 day process but if you can improve your in-game self confidence, you will likely find that you will grow as a player at a much faster rate.
best post i've read in a while

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Thanks for taking the time to write all this, even though I didn't mean to ask for help. I will try to keep that in mind.

BTW, saying I want to quit is unrelated to me losing to that player. I still think I should quit when I play someone significantly better, significantly worse, or at my level. I don't want to put any blame on this player, the only problem is me and my mindset.
you are only allowed to quit if you make me mod

Olikus

Smash Champion
I really appreciate that people here have such fire for this game. Its fantastic to read posts like hipsturs going in deep about mindset. It has so much to say about how you will peform, but allso how you will feel about yourself. Smash provokes so much variation of feelings. Its a very complex game and sometimes you will feel bad while your playing. I do though believe that it doesnt need much effort allways to switch the trend. Sometimes you just need a new perspective, on what your goals are about this game, what you want, and how to get the most out of it to benefit your desires.

Luckily for me Im probably at my most funny smash period ever. That long break after Apex did wonders, and Im having the time of my life with this game. And out of nowere there has been rising new star players not only in Norway but in my modder****ing hometown Oslo (wtf are the chances of that!?). Its fantastic to see them grow as players, and I feel so happy that I can finally play good players on console.

I hope as many of you stay as long as you can, no matter what your goal is. We need both the tournament scene and the casual scene. Heck, even the ffa items very high scene on sector Z.

People have different paths with this game and only together we can build this amazing community who grows and grows every month.

I will allways do my best to help the community in the way I can. We are the greatest thing ever.

Oli the Smash enthusiast

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the only reason i ever got good was to prove to myself that my first childhood main wasnt total ****

then i learnt he was **** anyway, so this game sucks :(

Top Bottom