• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Kero- the word "hero" with a K
Keroppi- the word "her" with a K, the letter "O", the letter "P"
LMFAO. I am in stitches. You made a weeaboo-ass romanized Japanese name, and then you don't even pronounce right? Your own name? LOL You exposed yourself as a nothing more than a fraud with this post. .

And don't even try to tell me you get to decide how it's pronounced since it's your name, or some **** like that. If I told people my name was pronounced "Stare + Kind with a g", they wouldn't listen, now would they.

Sangoku

Smash Master
That's scary I was thinking about THE EXACT same thing about a lecturer I have atm. I thought "she can't even pronounce her name right". Then I thought "but since it's her own name, can she choose?" "No, that wouldn't make sense".

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Can't names have ambiguous pronunciations though? I'm pretty used to it by now, but in the past I had a lot of trouble figuring out how names written in English were pronounced. (though I agree with SK about the Kero thing)

My username comes from a Russian name I heard one day, so I just changed the 'sh' for an 'x' so it would be closer to one real life nickname I had.

Sangoku

Smash Master
In that case it's a pronounciation mistake 99% of the french speaking people make. It's the letter "œ" which, when of greek origin isn't pronounced the same way as the latin origin. And those words' "œ" are changed in "e" in English. For example œstrogène is estrogen and œsophage is esophagus. No ambiguity in English.

Seriously, that got censored? Well it's the organ between the pharynx and the stomach.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I had a Polish teacher in 5th grade who pronounced her own name wrong, but I guess that's cuz she pretty much 'Murican.

lol misha, that makes me think of a little teddy bear. mixa much more adorable now

clubbadubba

Smash Master
aw i thought kero was gonna nerd out and talk about how great the number ZERO is. I had to read an entire book on the subject in high school

M!nt

Smash Champion
I was making a joke about how easy my name is to pronounce, didn't expect people to answer lol.

I just have an ! there because like every other way to spell Mint is taken :C

Shears

Smash Master
I was making a joke about how easy my name is to pronounce, didn't expect people to answer lol.

I just have an ! there because like every other way to spell Mint is taken :C

Welcome to Smashboards, where no one can interpret sarcasm from text in the internet age.

10sangokuchars

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah M!nt I was kidding, I've always said Mint.

And lol at having to censor dodge to write regular words. **** THE RULES, **** THE MODS! Oh wait.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE OFFENDED

DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT

with regard to offensive language, any kind of activism, lifestyle choices, creative expression, personal decision making, and anything else wherein people feel it's their god given right to say "hey i don't like that and i shouldn't have to see it"

shut the **** up
$notdirectedatanyoneinparticular $justsayin $censorshipisstifling $alwaysspeakyourmindevenifyourmindisugly $cashtag

clubbadubba

Smash Master
just started learning perl like yesterday for something at work. It gets mad if you don't use hashtag's and cashtag's in the right spots.

The Star King

Smash Hero
aw i thought kero was gonna nerd out and talk about how great the number ZERO is. I had to read an entire book on the subject in high school
This?:

Yeah we had a choice between a few books in 7th grade and I picked this one. Actually a pretty good book guys. Just saying.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Listen you little mongrels.

I am KeroKeroppi the Great, king of kings, god of gods.

I am the one and only creator of the universe. I invented language.

You n00bs may not be able to to change the pronunciation of words, but do not assume your master has the same limits you do.

On another note, zero is in fact my favorite number. LOL

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea SK that's it. Yea I enjoyed the book actually, though most of my classmates didn't (but you know on the inside they did).

Hey, can someone give me the simplest, clearest explanation of why zero is an even number? thx
Best I can do is a book.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
just started learning perl like yesterday for something at work. It gets mad if you don't use hashtag's and cashtag's in the right spots.

it's been said that perl looks like a cartoon character swearing

Hey, can someone give me the simplest, clearest explanation of why zero is an even number? thx

x is even means x/2 is a whole number. 0/2 = 0 which is a whole number

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'm so dumb lol. All this time I was thinking B Link was being all radical and ****. I had read his question as "why is 0 even a number"

B Link

Smash Lord
Ok that made it more clear guys, thanks. Kinda turns me off how so much of mathematics depends on categorizations with unintuitive names (e.g. odd/even) and unintuitive definitions. But I do think it is interesting to define properties of numbers, and kinds of numbers, which I guess is what mathematics tends to do.

Now someone answer the rephrased question Mixa mistook mine for :troll:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Ok that made it more clear guys, thanks. Kinda turns me off how so much of mathematics depends on categorizations with unintuitive names (e.g. odd/even) and unintuitive definitions. But I do think it is interesting to define properties of numbers, and kinds of numbers, which I guess is what mathematics tends to do.
odd / even is pretty intuitive as far as math names go. I think of it like if you're dividing things into pairs, for an odd number of things there will be an odd one left, whereas for an even number of things it will all even out.

Now look at names like "derivative", "integral", "radical", "modulus" etc and I understand. For abstract concepts like you see in a lot of math it is hard to come up with an intuitive name.

Now someone answer the rephrased question Mixa mistook mine for :troll:
I think SK's link dove into this topic a bit. Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero. Anyway, here's my attempt at an explanation:

Basically the number zero was invented because it makes it easier to think about math when you have zero. It's possible to do math where you only have 1 2 3 4 etc but then you get stuck with questions like what is 4-4? And this is a question that can come up pretty easily in real life (if I have 4 apples and you steal 4 of them then how many apples do I have?) so coming up with a number called 0 allows me to think more easily about these questions.

It's really the same reason that we invented negative numbers, rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers. It's just that the need for the number 0 is a lot more obvious than the need for i or 7/3 or -57

The Star King

Smash Hero
my tag is korobeniki

but the actual music is spelled korobeiniki

Wut.
Did you JUST figure that out? Pretty sure I've pointed that out before bro.

Storytime: there was this Russian cartoon from my childhood with like a wolf and a rabbit or some ****, possibly ripped off of Tom and Jerry, I don't really remember what it was about. Anyway "Korobeiniki" was a commonly used song there, and I didn't play the Gameboy Tetris growing up and didn't know it was a thing in video games, or well-known at all. Then much later I was playing Barlw, and that song started playing on Luigi's Mansion, and I was like "WUT" and was totally flipping out and my friends were like "dude wtf chill bro" and I was like "no"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCOcqpWTkY

Shears

Smash Master
Did you JUST figure that out? Pretty sure I've pointed that out before bro.

Storytime: there was this Russian cartoon from my childhood with like a wolf and a rabbit or some ****, possibly ripped off of Tom and Jerry, I don't really remember what it was about. Anyway "Korobeiniki" was a commonly used song there, and I didn't play the Gameboy Tetris growing up and didn't know it was a thing in video games, or well-known at all. Then much later I was playing Barlw, and that song started playing on Luigi's Mansion, and I was like "WUT" and was totally flipping out and my friends were like "dude wtf chill bro" and I was like "no"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCOcqpWTkY

You're from Russia and didn't play Tetris growing up? It was invented by your soviet overlords.

The Star King

Smash Hero
My dad was actually vaguely acquainted with Alexey Pajitnov. Unsurprising since Moscow State University, studying CS at around same time.

I played it on some random websites but they never had that song. Not the biggest fan ever of that game, anyway (hi cobr, I know you're a Tetris ultra god or something, don't hurt me)

M!nt

Smash Champion
i hate puzzle games, actually i hate most games except smash bros and i hate it somedays too lol

Maliki

Smash Ace
Kero is a math major and he started lecturing me and stranded about zero and the concept of it and how what it means and I'm assuming its because he saw this.

Top Bottom