• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I didn't know there were people who seriously liked Taylor Swift who weren't pre teens, not trying to be offensive, I just don't think I've met anyone who legitimately liked her.
You can't win 6 grammy's by riding the pre teen popularity train. 6 at the age of 23...

That means there are only 13 female artists ahead of her in total grammy count. She is tied with whitney houston, and already ahead of celine dion and mariah carey. That's incredibly impressive.

I think some people brush her off because they think she's the miley cyrus/justin beiber type, but she's actually a legit musician. Give her a chance rpotts! You'll love it.

Also, "pre teen"? I can understand if you said teenager, because she is really big with high school kids right now (I work with high school kids 15-25 hours a week), but pre teen is a stretch.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^hell no i ain't hatin on miley! She's got some good stuff too. But I can understand more how miley is (was, now she's just a hoe) exclusively for a younger audience, since she purposefully catered to little kids with the whole hannah montana persona.

rpotts

Smash Lord
You can't win 6 grammy's by riding the pre teen popularity train. 6 at the age of 23...

That means there are only 13 female artists ahead of her in total grammy count. She is tied with whitney houston, and already ahead of celine dion and mariah carey. That's incredibly impressive.

I think some people brush her off because they think she's the miley cyrus/justin beiber type, but she's actually a legit musician. Give her a chance rpotts! You'll love it.

Also, "pre teen"? I can understand if you said teenager, because she is really big with high school kids right now (I work with high school kids 15-25 hours a week), but pre teen is a stretch.
I did a Google search for average age of taylor swift fan, this is the first result, lol

www.tayloralisonswift.org said:
Even though she has millions of fans of all ages, the preteen category seems to be the average age group for her fans, encompassing a large percentage of her fan base.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Ah a reliable fan site says it "seems" like most of swifts fans are pre teens...

I say it "seems" like its more likely between 13-19 than between 0-12, now what's good?!?!?!

If they base that on anything it is the 26,000,000 fans she has on facebook, and anytime you are using social media to measure popularity the results would be skewed towards the younger generation for obvious reasons. That being said... I doubt any sort of statistics went into that statement.

Anyway, moral of the story is you should try listening to her more!

rpotts

Smash Lord
Ah a reliable fan site says it "seems" like most of swifts fans are pre teens...

I say it "seems" like its more likely between 13-19 than between 0-12, now what's good?!?!?!

If they base that on anything it is the 26,000,000 fans she has on facebook, and anytime you are using social media to measure popularity the results would be skewed towards the younger generation for obvious reasons. That being said... I doubt any sort of statistics went into that statement.

I know, I don't think that's a particularly reliable source I just thought it was humorous that it was the first site I found from the first search and it said exactly what I wanted it to, lol.

Either way, those fan bases both tend to have pretty bad taste in music.

I'm sure the author of that site is just a fan and the whole site is just stream-of-consciousness blabber with little to no thought put into it.

I don't like country, don't like 'pop', don't like 'traditional' female vocals and don't like really standard intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-interlude-chorus x2-outro pop songs. I don't think you can convert me.

rpotts

Smash Lord
sigh i guess i can't lol. That's a large amount of music you don't like. What's left?
Pretty much all music that you don't find on pop radio stations, and even a little bit that you do.

Electronica- my favorite genres are dubstep and dnb
Classical- I love Vivaldi, Bach, Chopin etc
Jazz- Gotta love jazz standards like Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery, David Brubeck
Blues- Robert Johnson, the three Kings (BB, Freddie, Albert)
Classic Rock- Rush, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers
Metal- I used to listen to technical death metal like Necrophagist, and melodic death like Arch Enemy, also some experimental stuff like Animals as Leaders which I recently found out about.
Alternative- I like Passion Pit, Bon Iver, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Alt J and a bunch of other good stuff too.

There's more music out there than just crappy pop.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Oh I thought you were excluding all rock and alternative stuff with not liking the format of chorus/bridge/etc. that they usually have.

My playists are basically 90's/ early 2000's rap and taylor swift lol. I have a small rock playlist of songs I remember listening to with my dad in the car, and a small playlist of songs that I heard on scrubs. I do enjoy some techno hear and there, and alternative stuff can be cool too. Not a fan of the classical/blues/jazz stuff though. Oh and I HATE country, except for tay tay of course :).

And woah woah woah, lets not go calling taylor swift crappy pop! She transcends genres

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Opened up my only playable online controller and greased the **** out of the control stick with lithium grease. Feels amazing. Not grindy anymore and just feels really smooth. Like when you get a new controller/stick, but not as tight since it's been worn down significantly before I greased it.

I'd strongly recommend everyone to open up and grease the inside of their control sticks whenever they get a new controller or stick. I'm betting it will double or triple the life of your stick. Perhaps more. We'll see this one I just greased up, it was getting pretty bad for online play already.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
since we're on some music ish, i'll make a few suggestions as to stuff i've been into recently.

kendrick lamar - yeah, he's that good. maad city is mindblowing. rigamortus off section 80 is astonishing. i'm very picky with what rap i listen to, and this guy is seriously talented. new face off the wc.

mogwai - young team and come on die young are two incredible albums. i don't like using subgenre names like post rock, but these dudes are primarily instrumental, greatly melodic bass lines and this atmospheric gloriousness that is hard to replicate.

slint - spiderland was given to me by a buddy who said it was groundbreaking. there are only six or seven songs on it, but damn, those tritones and the noise and all of that really make for a great album.

o'brother - saw these dudes in nyc recently with caspian and moving mountains (also two good bands). they've got three guitarists and really rock. garden window LP is so beautiful. they don't really have solos in their music, which i yearn for, but they're damn good nonetheless.

some other people i've been bumping a lot recently include frank ocean, the weeknd, and joe budden's new mixtape.

and if i may recommend stuff i doubt a lot of people here have listened to: OSI, porcupine tree, paper rival, ugly casanova (isaac brock's sidepiece), primus, pretty lights, puscifer, clutch (new album coming! and world tour with orange goblin and kyng!), regina spektor, seemless (a now-defunct supergroup including two dudes from killswitch), yes, the god machine, awolnation, the roots (1995's do you want more?!?!?!?!), and nick cave and the bad seeds (abattoir blues).

i am open to suggestions for things to listen to based off what i gave, as well.

SERIOUSLY GUYS OPEN YOUR MINDSSSSS

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Grease as in how you'd grease gears to reduce friction. Friction is what causes the n64 control sticks to wear down and ruin.

Nintendo had the bright idea to have a bunch of plastic parts rubbing on other plastic parts without including any lubrication.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Spiderland is incredible, good morning captain and washer are two of my favorites.

Was never too crazy about mogwai. I find a lot of post rock to be a bit boring. Do you listen to any math rock?

Battlecow

Play to Win
and if i may recommend stuff i doubt a lot of people here have listened to: OSI, porcupine tree, paper rival, ugly casanova (isaac brock's sidepiece), primus, pretty lights, puscifer, clutch (new album coming! and world tour with orange goblin and kyng!), regina spektor, seemless (a now-defunct supergroup including two dudes from killswitch), yes, the god machine, awolnation, the roots (1995's do you want more?!?!?!?!), and nick cave and the bad seeds (abattoir blues).
everyone on here loves primus (at least like 3 guys did back in the day, A$'s a big fan). Every girlfriend I've ever had has loved Regina Spektor, I think she plugs directly into some cortex of the female brain previously unknown to science. I LOVE nick cave and the bad seeds, Murder Ballads is my ****.

I like anything that consists of guys with weird voices singing really great lyrics (mainly because I'm musically ******** and get bored of literally anything where I can't fixate on the words) so like Bob Dylan, The Hold Steady, The Mountain Goats, lots and lots of '80s/'90s/underground/indie rap.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Do you listen to any math rock?
the only math rock i know is shellac. they're pretty chill. my friend wanted me to listen to steve albini's other band, forgot the name of it, though. i'll try that out during break. as well as like, electric wizard, dinosaur jr, mercury project, pharoahe monche, talk talk, and some other stuff i got laying around on my laptop.

everyone on here loves primus
glad to hear it. i've seen them six times in the past years. i dunno hold steady and mountain goats. i'll give 'em a shot too.

TANK64

Smash Lord
oh so taylor swift is the one who is famous for kanye saying "imma let you finish" to her
>________> No.
She's famous for her music, and she's one of the most talented "stars" out there.

led's look cool in clear 64 controllers, ive got blacklight in an atomic purple and orange in a jungle green here

[COLLAPSE="3.3v 5mm 8-12k(?) mcd PWN"]
[/COLLAPSE]

gunna do reds in a watermelon+smoke and blues in an ice blue...i have a jungle green and i dunno what to put in it...SUPER BRIGHT WHITES and YELLOW are the only other ones i have that i haven't mentioned...what do?

im willing to put led's in peoples' controllers at apex, just tell me if i should bring the tools and led's for it. they have negligible weight and size, no problems bringing the stuff. also charge probly like 5$ per. ANY INTEREST?
Bring everything!!!

Exactly! Oh and it was by the age of 22. She just turned 23 a few days ago.:smirk: (speaking of which, I've had 22 in my head all day! Damn catchy pop!)

I don't like country, don't like 'pop', don't like 'traditional' female vocals and don't like really standard intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-interlude-chorus x2-outro pop songs. I don't think you can convert me.
Hmm :/ well, to each his own.

Pretty much all music that you don't find on pop radio stations, and even a little bit that you do.

Electronica- my favorite genres are dubstep and dnb
Classical- I love Vivaldi, Bach, Chopin etc
Jazz- Gotta love jazz standards like Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery, David Brubeck
Blues- Robert Johnson, the three Kings (BB, Freddie, Albert)
Classic Rock- Rush, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers
Metal- I used to listen to technical death metal like Necrophagist, and melodic death like Arch Enemy, also some experimental stuff like Animals as Leaders which I recently found out about.
Alternative- I like Passion Pit, Bon Iver, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Alt J and a bunch of other good stuff too.

There's more music out there than just crappy pop.
A lot of those genres use the structure that you claim to hate :/

Also, Postal Service>>>Death Cab
I know one doesn't have to choose but still =P

Blues is 2good. And I also love Dub and DnB.
But I prefer with
female
vocals...
standard stucture doesn't hurt...
But depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Oh I thought you were excluding all rock and alternative stuff with not liking the format of chorus/bridge/etc. that they usually have.
exactly what I was thinking.

And woah woah woah, lets not go calling taylor swift crappy pop! She transcends genres
qft

Internalyzed

Smash Apprentice
Grease as in how you'd grease gears to reduce friction. Friction is what causes the n64 control sticks to wear down and ruin.

Nintendo had the bright idea to have a bunch of plastic parts rubbing on other plastic parts without including any lubrication.
It's planned obsolescence, obv. Controller breaks-->buy another controller-->$$ for Nintendo execs. Does anyone know if lubrication would help extend the life of GameCube controller sticks?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Doesn't seem TOO obvious to me. Nintendo has had a lot of systems and n64 is really the only one with really bad controller wear issues. If they were making shoddy equipment to make more money IMO there would be a pattern.

Gamecube sticks don't seem like they need lubrication to me. I've been playing competitive melee since like late 2005 and I've only had to use 3 gamecube controllers in that period. And 1 I had to stop using wasn't because of the stick. The other was because I left it in my hot car and the stick rubber melted off.

Internalyzed

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, the N64 was the first Nintendo console to feature controller with joysticks. And you're right, it doesn't seem like Nintendo products are intentionally constructed to fail.

The only real problem I've had with GameCube controllers is the rubber covers on the control sticks peeling off.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
everyone on here loves primus (at least like 3 guys did back in the day, A$'s a big fan). Every girlfriend I've ever had has loved Regina Spektor, I think she plugs directly into some cortex of the female brain previously unknown to science. I LOVE nick cave and the bad seeds, Murder Ballads is my ****.

I like anything that consists of guys with weird voices singing really great lyrics (mainly because I'm musically ******** and get bored of literally anything where I can't fixate on the words) so like Bob Dylan, The Hold Steady, The Mountain Goats, lots and lots of '80s/'90s/underground/indie rap.
if you don't already i suggest you listen to leonard cohen, dude is phenomenal.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Hmm :/ well, to each his own.

A lot of those genres use the structure that you claim to hate :/

Also, Postal Service>>>Death Cab
I know one doesn't have to choose but still =P

Blues is 2good. And I also love Dub and DnB.
But I prefer with
female
vocals...
standard stucture doesn't hurt...
But depends on what I'm in the mood for.
You're right, to each their own. I don't "hate" that very standard song structure, I don't like that almost every pop song will follow that formula, which generally isn't the case for the others genres I listed. Sure, there are plenty of simple songs that do but most bands don't use that formulaic structure for every single song like pop artists tend to. I just don't like knowing exactly what's coming next on songs I've never even heard before.

Death Cab and Postal Service are both excellent, there's just a lot more material out there by Death Cab so it's easy to prefer them; I listen to both of them a lot less now that I'm in a new relationship lololol.

I actually prefer high pitched male vocals in general, most of the bands I listed (other than metal) share that trait, lol.

:phone:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
speaking of leonard cohen, hallelujah is GOD tier. Except not his version, one of the other ones, not gonna find it now.

I don't really enjoy male vocals much for some reason.

edit: Except for hallelujah lol

ballin4life

Smash Hero

It would seem likely to me that facebook users would skew towards 13-19 rather than 0-12.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
speaking of leonard cohen, hallelujah is GOD tier. Except not his version, one of the other ones, not gonna find it now.

I don't really enjoy male vocals much for some reason.

edit: Except for hallelujah lol
hallelujah confirmed for god tier.

also, i saw him sing hallelujah live when he came to toronto on the 4th and i think if you saw it live you would change your mind.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I just watched Isai's Rat Dittos for Intermediate Players again and WOW, I did not remember just how good that **** was. I mean seriously, some of the great ones among y'all probably already knew the technology he unveiled there but I found myself going through some of his rat dittos vids, and it really helps in a concrete way. I was trying out some of the dair tricks against a friend on console today and I saw myself sort of starting to get a hold on how they were used... That **** is ****ing golden. I'm more excited about smash than I've ever been.

gonna beat everyone at apex

well, not isai. I'm pretty sure he's God. But the rest of you, definitely.

Battlecow

Play to Win
wait I thought it was supposed to end by the end of today

today being of course today by the mayan reckoning, which is a ways behind the australian one but pretty near my own

guys it's still gonna collapse around us don't worry

Top Bottom