• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Two questions:

1) Why does it look like Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are running at 30 frames per second still when Odyssey runs at 60.
2) How the hell did they get FLUDD to work on Switch without analog triggers?

They did show that the Joycons can be used to emulate/substitute the Wii Remote, which is something I've always figured they could do, but I don't think it's been done yet. That's exciting, because it means that similar ports could happen in the future for games that depend on those features like Galaxy does.
As far as I'm aware, the only thing that matters in sunshine is light press vs. full press, it's not really a spectrum. So they probably just have RB be light press, RZ be full press, and remap Z to LB (or something like that).

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Everyone's asking where's Galaxy 2, but 3D Land is also missing too.
3DS games might be a bit too new for Nintendo to include them in collections. They still officially sell the 3DS and its software.

Why does it look like Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are running at 30 frames per second still when Odyssey runs at 60.
Trying to convert them to 60FPS might have broken too many parts of the game for it to have been seen as worthwhile. This is quite common when porting old games to new platforms, and is why the Xbox Live Arcade rereleases of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were still in 30FPS (unless they weren't. Someone please verify me on this).

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
For real, the more looking at the smaller things about the collection the less I'm thinking about it.

Super Mario 64 - I can already play the game with better graphics and more features, on the DS.

1599152604278.png

Super Mario Sunshine - One of my most wanted games to play on handheld ever but I'm not sure. Maybe?

Super Mario Galaxy - Probably my favourite Mario game but apparently you can't play it properly in handheld mode? It's a The World Ends With You situation.

Plus stuff like 3D Land and Galaxy 2 would have been nice.

I'm very unsure now about this.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So I decided to check out those My Nintendo missions and saw that clearing all 6 got you the first set of Mario pins.

So the missions are:
1. Go to the 35th anniversary site
2. Take a Mario Quiz
3. In the History section, select "That's My Mario" to get a image
super-mario-sunshine.jpg
4. On the Super Mario 3D All Stars page, listen to some music samples
5. Play the Mario Kart Tour event featuring SNES Mario and Donkey Kong Jr
6. Buy Super Mario 3D All Stars

Overall, the missions exist and the first mission cleared enters you into a sweepstakes of sorts.

Only times I ever won a sweepstakes was for real steaks from a Xbox Live contest, and when the Lego Dimensions Facebook page had a contest for Green Arrow.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm really tempted to get the mario 3d collection, i love mario 64 and sunshine (which is one of my alltime favorite games.)
I just kinda feel like I want to get my own switch, right now it's my brother's that I'm using.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
For real, the more looking at the smaller things about the collection the less I'm thinking about it.

Super Mario 64 - I can already play the game with better graphics and more features, on the DS.

View attachment 284383

Super Mario Sunshine - One of my most wanted games to play on handheld ever but I'm not sure. Maybe?

Super Mario Galaxy - Probably my favourite Mario game but apparently you can't play it properly in handheld mode? It's a The World Ends With You situation.

Plus stuff like 3D Land and Galaxy 2 would have been nice.

I'm very unsure now about this.
Biggest thing against Mario 64 for me is I can play the Render96 version on SM64 PC and basically have a proper SM64 HD.

Like...this Switch version is cool, but man for people who already own the game there's zero incentive to care here, especially with a Limited Time Only shtick going on. The highlight for me out of all of this was easily 2D Mario All-Stars and 3D World.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Biggest thing against Mario 64 for me is I can play the Render96 version on SM64 PC and basically have a proper SM64 HD.

Like...this Switch version is cool, but man for people who already own the game there's zero incentive to care here, especially with a Limited Time Only shtick going on. The highlight for me out of all of this was easily 2D Mario All-Stars and 3D World.
Isnt the limited time only thing only for the mario 1 battle royale thing?

MooMew64

Isnt the limited time only thing only for the mario 1 battle royale thing?
Nope, it's on the 3D collection too. Digital version is also limited time.

It's a super crummy tactic IMO. Really feels like they want to pressure people into buying it now instead of having time to think about it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It's a super crummy tactic IMO. Really feels like they want to pressure people into buying it now instead of having time to think about it.
What the heck?? That's super stupid :O Why would nintendo do that ??

Well, I guess I'll ask it for x-mas then. But I was thinking on waiting on it. Maybe they're desperate for money. I still find it super weird that they'd do that for a mario collection.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
As far as I'm aware, the only thing that matters in sunshine is light press vs. full press, it's not really a spectrum. So they probably just have RB be light press, RZ be full press, and remap Z to LB (or something like that).
You could get away with just light press vs. full press, but there's a bit more of a spectrum there, which is what I'm curious about. I just went and tested it quick, there's more than just two stages for the regular FLUDD nozzle. Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion made full and heavy use of the GameCube's analog triggers, which Nintendo hasn't used since. Hm, but Luigi's Mansion was put on the 3DS. How did that port handle things, has anyone played it?

Trying to convert them to 60FPS might have broken too many parts of the game for it to have been seen as worthwhile. This is quite common when porting old games to new platforms, and is why the Xbox Live Arcade rereleases of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were still in 30FPS (unless they weren't. Someone please verify me on this).
Right, I've emulated Sunshine with a 60 fps code, and it causes some issues. However, there are only three small issues it produces, all of which could be fixed with some minor tweaks. The Xbox Live Arcade rereleases of the Banjo-Kazooie games are more akin to the ports of Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask on GameCube, where they were more or less straight ported to the system with little to no changes. That was back during a time when just being able to play those old games conveniently was the only expectation, but nowadays the bar has been raised for what rereleases should be, even by Nintendo themselves.

This concerns me because this was a solid opportunity for Nintendo to definitively update these games more than they seem to have done. It looks like textures are sharper, the resolution is higher, and widescreen is available for 64 and Sunshine, but there's no good reason they couldn't have been 60 fps as well, especially since it seems that the visuals haven't otherwise been substantially updated. It's only a few steps above if they had released these games as Virtual Console titles with no improvements.

It is what it is, but it seems these rereleases are relatively low-effort compared to what they could've been. For platforming games like Mario, having 64 and Sunshine be 60 fps without flawed emulation codes would've been substantial, but instead what we're getting is arguably no better than what I've been able to accomplish through emulation for years. I can play Sunshine right now at a higher resolution than the Switch, in widescreen, with higher resolution textures, at 60 fps, with a GameCube controller and thus full analog support. A Switch rerelease should be all those things and more, but it isn't from the looks of things.

The fact that this game is oddly a limited time release even digitally makes me wonder if these ports, rudimentary as they are, are meant to tide us over until we get more impressive rereleases. My expectation when I first heard the rumor months ago was these games were all going to be given a more HD makeover with new models, textures, and effects to really bring them into the modern era. I'm fine with them being as they are now (except for the framerate), since their visuals still hold up once you sharpen the image a bit, but this is hardly as big of a deal as one would expect for one of Nintendo's late year offerings.

So perhaps the original plan was to have fancier looking remakes of the games come to Switch, COVID put a halt on that, and so Plan B is to release these mostly untouched ports for a while until the better ones are done? Will we get fully remade versions of these games with newer visuals and higher framerates later down the line? Probably not, but this whole thing is all very odd.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

Thing is, you buy it with the collection and you've got it forever - but that is NOT the case with SM35... which is really, really bad for game preservation's sake. What the hell is with that? Six months and it's gone forever? Not cool, Nintendo. Have we not learned from Ubisoft and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thing is, you buy it with the collection and you've got it forever - but that is NOT the case with SM35... which is really, really bad for game preservation's sake. What the hell is with that? Six months and it's gone forever? Not cool, Nintendo. Have we not learned from Ubisoft and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World?
What do you mean? once you buy it they wont remove it from your personal collection. Maybe im misunderstanding

D

Deleted member

I just want to say shoutouts to Coricus.

If it wasn't for her, then I would have most likely not played Terraria, and Terraria is an amazing game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What do you mean? once you buy it they wont remove it from your personal collection. Maybe im misunderstanding
I think with the collection you buy it, you own it, but with Super Mario 35 it appears to be available to play until March 31, when I presume it will shut down, making it unplayable.

D

Deleted member

I miss Coricus, ToasterBrains, and Shish. :V

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think with the collection you buy it, you own it, but with Super Mario 35 it appears to be available to play until March 31, when I presume it will shut down, making it unplayable.
Ok I understand. Yeah personally something like that makes me feel like not playing the game at all. I might just be picky on being able to keep a game, but I honestly dont know what nintendo is thinking with doing that.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
pog cacodemon.png
I JUST BEATED JEVIL ON MY VERY FIRST TRY, ALL WHILE NOT USING HYPNOSIS OR PIROUETTE ONCE, YUP, FULL FIGHT I DID.

Tho let's be honest, I had the advantage of knowing what to do in advance, and while his attack are really hard to dodge at time. Me winning first try isn't that impressive, but hey, i'm still happy I did it.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The Scott Pilgrim game issue is due to licensing problems, which is also why all of Activision's Marvel games are no longer on digital storefronts, and why Platinum Games's Transformers and TMNT games are gone, too, since those licenses expired without renewal. That still sucks, but at least those games had physical releases or were on PC where they could be preserved.

SM35 is something much worse, being a digital-exclusive game that has a deliberately limited lifespan. It's incredibly rare for a game to be announced with its release date alongside its death date. Most games that die like this do so because the developer/publisher just decides to shut it down one day after not that many people are playing it anymore, which is still bad and irresponsible, but at least understandable. SM35 is something entirely different and bizarre.

It seems like it's Nintendo's way of encouraging people to renew their Switch Online subscriptions, like the SNES library was last September, but this is not only much lamer compared to that (Nintendo really doesn't want to release N64 or other system games on Switch it seems), but it's planned to die in 6 months. Not good.

D

Deleted member

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
View attachment 284392
I JUST BEATED JEVIL ON MY VERY FIRST TRY, ALL WHILE NOT USING HYPNOSIS OR PIROUETTE ONCE, YUP, FULL FIGHT I DID.

Tho let's be honest, I had the advantage of knowing what to do in advance, and while his attack are really hard to dodge at time. Me winning first try isn't that impressive, but hey, i'm still happy I did it.
Congratulations, it took me some tries to beat Jevil!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
The Scott Pilgrim game issue is due to licensing problems, which is also why all of Activision's Marvel games are no longer on digital storefronts, and why Platinum Games's Transformers and TMNT games are gone, too, since those licenses expired without renewal. That still sucks, but at least those games had physical releases or were on PC where they could be preserved.

SM35 is something much worse, being a digital-exclusive game that has a deliberately limited lifespan. It's incredibly rare for a game to be announced with its release date alongside its death date. Most games that die like this do so because the developer/publisher just decides to shut it down one day after not that many people are playing it anymore, which is still bad and irresponsible, but at least understandable. SM35 is something entirely different and bizarre.

It seems like it's Nintendo's way of encouraging people to renew their Switch Online subscriptions, like the SNES library was last September, but this is not only much lamer compared to that (Nintendo really doesn't want to release N64 or other system games on Switch it seems), but it's planned to die in 6 months. Not good.
I know. I'm making a comparison because both situations are bad, but this one literally has no real benefit to Nintendo in the long run, making a physical game which is a guaranteed sell limited is nonsense, and Mario 35 is even worse due to being a digital-only title.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Calling it now, FP 7 is Geno since they are going all out with Mario. That tournament they announced will coincide with his release.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Wait a minute, Mario 64 isn't even widescreen, what kind of rinky-dink operation is this? There's fixed camera angles in some places that might have issues with widescreen, but I don't see why some tweaking couldn't have made it work. I've never gotten that far into 64, so maybe there's some legitimate areas where widescreen totally wouldn't work, but I doubt that.

This whole thing seems kind of sketchy. It's awesome that these three games are being made available on Switch in one package, and I'll probably get it later this month after I learn more about it, but this is one of the weirdest things I've seen from Nintendo in recent years. Something about it seems off.

MooMew64

You could get away with just light press vs. full press, but there's a bit more of a spectrum there, which is what I'm curious about. I just went and tested it quick, there's more than just two stages for the regular FLUDD nozzle. Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion made full and heavy use of the GameCube's analog triggers, which Nintendo hasn't used since. Hm, but Luigi's Mansion was put on the 3DS. How did that port handle things, has anyone played it?
LM3DS fan here: I prefer that version and can attest to it working fine. Only real hiccup the game has is relearning how to move Luigi can prove difficult for GCN veterans, but after you get used to the new system it feels just as good. Digital buttons means that Luigi using the vacuum's full suction power at all times, but it never got in the way of anything during both playthroughs I played of normal mode and Hidden Mansion.

Just don't use the C-stick nub. It's terrible. :drshrug:

MooMew64

OH YEAH I also forgot that the version of SM64 they're rereleasing is the Shindou version.

So it's the worse version 'cause it fixes fun tech. 😔

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So the mario collection was supposed to be this big deal, but in the end it feels a little barebones doesnt it?
My thoughts exactly. Nintendo's M.O. for rereleases has always been making things "Deluxe" by adding something substantial or at least making it definitive and updated. This is clearly not that, but instead combining three ports with the most minor of improvements into one... and making it a limited release?

The fact that it's releasing in two weeks is really weird, since the expectation would've been that things got delayed or suspended like with the E3 Direct, but this seems to be releasing pretty on schedule. Which calls into question what kind of compromises were made here, if any, from what this might've originally been planned to be, and what the limited release business is all about.

I'm sure we'll get some definitive answers within the next two weeks. The limited release detail alone has stirred up enough controversy and negative opinion to warrant clarification from Nintendo, so hopefully they speak up and explain what that's about more than not at all. Just tell us if they're going to release the games individually after March, or whatever the situation is, instead of leaving it a mystery.

D

Deleted member

I just finished doing some art practice and now looking at it again it looks like gar-bage. sigh welp guess I need to actually try and learn because I'm definitely missing something here

D

Deleted member

Also, SM64 without BLJ just sounds wrong.
Interesting fact. When they remastered the Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, I believe they kept all of the glitches so old players could toy around with them and still have fun with the game.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom