• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yes and he was in a mental hospital a few times this past year. The problem is he’s an adult and didn’t seem completely unable to take care of himself, so he was able to check himself out whenever.

Unfortunately this isn’t good as I think if he stayed at them, it could have really helped him feel better.

It’s sad to see him go. I never watched a lot of just stuff, but occasionally I did laugh at some of his later reactions. It’s not something that should ever happen though so it’s sad to see that he got to this point. He had a huge following, but it’s usually the happiest ones that have some trouble on the inside. I hope his close friends and family can mourn privately and hopefully they are able to think back on how many people really did like him and how much he impacted the internet. May he rest in piece
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. One of his tweets really confused me.

D

Deleted member

I do really owe a lot to the people from Discord and this site.

If I didn't had the help I got from some of the persons here and my close contacts from Discord during the past months... I would have ended like Etika too.

I want to believe that with enough strength, patience and support from the people you really feel helpful... People can get through the cases lived by Etika and I if they try to deeply.

D

Deleted member

A lot of the big names like keemstar who were talking ****, hopefully feel pretty bad now. If anything I hope this lets people learn to always extended help to a situation, because you never know when it’s really real. Knowing you could have maybe helped but chose to ignore isn’t good.
He’d better. I don’t know much about the situation, but from my understanding he was being very.... Not cool about it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
As someone who lost his lifelong best friend to suicide earlier this year, this is something you GOT to take seriously.

I didn't follow Etika but this is still terrible news

Potato_

Smash Lord
Situations like these prove some people can't understand the extent to which poor mental health can eat away at people. Considering how many people took to all of this as a joke (not everyone) even days prior, he was not going to get much help online at this point. All the rumors made right before that didn't relate to this are now shown to be just as silly as they seemed. Very unfortunate that this happened at all.
This is even more important when it comes to "influencers" or popular online personas.

It really felt like a lot of Etika's fanbase didn't take the warning signs seriously AT ALL. Those people just treated it like a meme or some **** and clowned him to look like comedians. I get that Etika didn't take anything very seriously, but after that video he uploaded it should've been very clear that things were different.

I think it's important for people to remember that those funny youtubers/twitter accounts you follow have real ****in people behind them. You can't just constantly laugh at them and undermine their issues and expect them to come out okay. Not to mention how dumb it is to think you're in any position to be clowning on them like you know them personally or something. That clip a while back of Etika being wheeled out on a stretcher to fans laughing and cheering at him feels like something out of the Twilight Zone or some ****.

Close friends clown and joke each other because they know at the end of the day nothing is serious and that they're still close. That relationship doesn't really work when you're a faceless user who's never actually met the person you're making a joke of. Imagine having a bunch of strangers constantly do that **** to you. There's a separation there that I think a lot of people online don't understand, and so they come off as massive assholes in an attempt to be funny. It's no wonder that an individual's mental health takes a nosedive after that.

That stuff really irritates me, so I apologize if I come off a little strong.

Be better to people.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Can’t believe Etika is no longer with us and it’s not gonna be the same without him going crazy over these character reveals. I remember him breaking his shelf over the announcement of everyone being in Smash Ultimate too. It also sucks how he got excited over The Hero and Banjo-Kazooie, but now he’ll never get to play as them. My condolences to his family and friends. :sadeyes:

This should open up everyone’s eyes that mental health is nothing to joke about. If you or anyone you know is going through this kind of trouble, the lines are always open. 1-800-273-8255

All life is important and you only get one, so let’s make the best of it.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
This situation truly and honestly sucks. I hate this so, So much. I've been watching Etika since late 2014-May 2019 so seeing this happen to one of my favorite Streamers if not my favorite Streamer while I'm not gonna say he helped me much like he may have done with some other people but I've had so many good memories surrounding Etika and his streams were always entertaining even the lesser quality ones. I loved watching the dude and I'll never ever forget him.

This Entire situation is just.. Horrible. It really is and I really hoped this wouldn't happen and that he convinced himself to get help but the world really isn't that perfect. I'm distraught, Angry, Sad, I'm a mess currently even if it may not seem like it. I really am and if I'm a mess I can't even begin to imagine what his personal family and friends are going through so I really give my condolences out to them and the rest of the JoyConMen.

I'll never forget all the great times I had with Etika and I truly do appreciate the man. May Desmond Amofah himself rest in peace and my condolences to everyone who is distraught. Sayonara, Desmond.

D

Deleted member

Rest in peace, Etika.

I wasn't ever a fan of him, but my condolence go out to him and his family.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Tbh his E3 stream felt pretty odd, off behavior, kinda forced, it was obvious something was going on but still went in and did that reaction.
Maybe since then he had the end on his mind, who knows? Also who knows if he had taken this route if he didn't upload that Mewtwo video years ago. But in the end doesn't matter because regardless he should have received the help he needed and not just seen as crying wolf.
Completely awful situation, and seeing one of my fav CC spiral down like this is just a nightmare.

Hope you are in peace now Desmond, thanks for the fun and memories and sorry we have failed you as a society.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
A lot of the big names like keemstar who were talking ****, hopefully feel pretty bad now. If anything I hope this lets people learn to always extended help to a situation, because you never know when it’s really real. Knowing you could have maybe helped but chose to ignore isn’t good.
They won't.
For people like Keemstar, they don't care if someone's suffering so long as they can get clicks and money.
He won't feel even the slightest shred of regret for his disgusting actions.

D

Deleted member

They won't.
For people like Keemstar, they don't care if someone's suffering so long as they can get clicks and money.
Can you PM me what Keemstar did?

D

Deleted member

They won't.
Those persons belong in hell.

I met people like that in the past, and they can easily become the biggest pricks or human wastes someone could have met in their life.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I heard the news the moment I started my lunch break, and my heart sank just hearing it.

I always enjoyed watching Etika’s videos. His energetic personality and his reactions to Smash character reveals and other Nintendo news were fun to watch. Without Etika around, seeing reaction videos to Nintendo news won’t be the same without for him.

His actions in the last few months seemed questionable at first, but it was clear from them he needed mental help. It is devastating to see that he wasn’t able to seek the help he needed to the point things turned out the way it did. Etika’s story is a lesson to everyone to always seek out your friends and close ones and maintain your relationships with those individuals, for they will help you out of problems similar to what Etika was facing and eventually lead him to tragically ending his own life.

My prayers and condolences to him and his family. You will truly be missed Etika.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Can you PM me what Keemstar did?
He told everyone etika was faking and likely at a friends house and to not be worried. He thought it was all for attention. So he basically made the situation worse

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So... the worst outcome has indeed happened.

Rest In Peace, Etika. You deserved better.

With this I want to remind you all that mental health and depression is not a joke nor a cry for attention. When someone’s in need, when they’re at their lowest point, please don’t push them away or mock them or belittle their problems. They NEED someone, anyone. They may not even be able to afford or access professional help, so in the meantime they need dedicated support.

Breakdowns can be frequent too, don’t disregard it as a cry for attention. You never know when it might be too late...

Check in on your friends and family every once in a while too. You don’t want it to be too late... it’s something I’ve learned in life too.

If you’ll excuse me I... think I’m gonna be quiet the rest of the day.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Gotta being honest here, I'm feeling pretty ****ing angry over those few posts I saw online, especially on twitter calling Etika a clown with image of him at such. I hope those....son of a very bad mother can learn a lesson over this, but the cynic side of me sadly can't help but feel like it won't change anything forsome of those peoples.

That, and there is one person on Youtube that I ****ing hope make a apologize for making the situation around Etika second breakdown to be like for views and such, and this isn't Keemstar if you're asking. (because knowing Keem, I don't have much hope he learn anything)

In all cases, rest in peace Etika, you didn't deserve a fate like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I heard the news the moment I started my lunch break, and my heart sank just hearing it.

I always enjoyed watching Etika’s videos. His energetic personality and his reactions to Smash character reveals and other Nintendo news were fun to watch. Without Etika around, seeing reaction videos to Nintendo news won’t be the same without for him.

His actions in the last few months seemed questionable at first, but it was clear from them he needed mental help. It is devastating to see that he wasn’t able to seek the help he needed to the point things turned out the way it did. Etika’s story is a lesson to everyone to always seek out your friends and close ones and maintain your relationships with those individuals, for they will help you out of problems similar to what Etika was facing and eventually lead him to tragically ending his own life.

My prayers and condolences to him and his family. You will truly be missed Etika.
If I had to add something else regarding the lesson you commented, it would be to keep yourself open to anyone who you really rely on, even if with some cases people will find it weird.

More so because between the people who helped me get through each of the problems I had during the past momths, PolarPanda/Sabi was one of them.

Some people may currently enjoy the idea of complaining about Sabi... But that person actually talked directly to me, offered me to join their Discord and actually brought a lot of help from their part through the IRL support chats on their server.

Not saying that we must accept the help of everyone, since it could happen to be actually a lie... But from my personal experience I can say that help can come from the most surprising people.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I see almost all keemstars fans don’t see fault with him. One even said he’s doing God’s work.

Disgusting that people leet that behavior slide

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Gotta being honest here, I'm feeling pretty ****ing angry over those few posts I saw online, especially on twitter calling Etika a clown with image of him at such. I hope those....son of a very bad mother can learn a lesson over this, but the cynic side of me sadly can't help but feel like it won't change anything fro some of those peoples.

That, and there is one person on Youtube that ****ing hope make a apologize for making the situation around Etika second breakdown to be like for views and such, and this isn't Keemstar. (becasue knowing Keem, I don't have much hope he learn anything)

In all cases tho, rest in peace Etika.
Keen us doing fortnite Friday to raise money funeral costs not like that really excuses his behavior

D

Deleted member

Well Keem’s being in-genuine as you can possibly be. He’s talking about how sad he is then mentions his sub count. ._.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I just want to pop in and say that in all the discussion about Etika's passing, please don't harass, flame, troll or otherwise anger your fellow users with abrasive or insensitive posts.

We can handle this news maturely.

I'm sorry for everyone emotionally affected by it. It's never a good thing to lose a life so young.

D

Deleted member

I just want to pop in and say that in all the discussion about Etika's passing, please don't harass, flame, troll or otherwise anger your fellow users with abrasive or insensitive posts.

We can handle this news maturely.

I'm sorry for everyone emotionally affected by it. It's never a good thing to lose a life so young.
This right here.

Iridium

Smash Hero
This is even more important when it comes to "influencers" or popular online personas.

It really felt like a lot of Etika's fanbase didn't take the warning signs seriously AT ALL. Those people just treated it like a meme or some **** and clowned him to look like comedians. I get that Etika didn't take anything very seriously, but after that video he uploaded it should've been very clear that things were different.

I think it's important for people to remember that those funny youtubers/twitter accounts you follow have real ****in people behind them. You can't just constantly laugh at them and undermine their issues and expect them to come out okay. Not to mention how dumb it is to think you're in any position to be clowning on them like you know them personally or something. That clip a while back of Etika being wheeled out on a stretcher to fans laughing and cheering at him feels like something out of the Twilight Zone or some ****.

Close friends clown and joke each other because they know at the end of the day nothing is serious and that they're still close. That relationship doesn't really work when you're a faceless user who's never actually met the person you're making a joke of. Imagine having a bunch of strangers constantly do that **** to you. There's a separation there that I think a lot of people online don't understand, and so they come off as massive ******** in an attempt to be funny. It's no wonder that an individual's mental health takes a nosedive after that.

That stuff really irritates me, so I apologize if I come off a little strong.

Be better to people.
It's really bad, considering he definitely had real friends out there, but likely nobody who could actually reach out to him in person to help him rethink his thoughts. For the most part, he was simply alone, and not in full control of himself at all. If there was any mental facility that let could have him stay there and get assistance, then maybe this could have turned out different. No one's going to forget this after today, guaranteed.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He never got to play Animal Crossing and he was so so so excited seeming to actually try it out on Switch.

Wherever his spirit may reside I hope he's happier....for real. And not just a front put on for society.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Man, that sucks. Rest in Peace, Etika.

I never saw any of his videos. I don't really watch reaction videos. I barely watch review stuff outside of LittleKuriboh once in a while. Most of the time, if I see a review, it's due to someone finishing a Zelda Classic game and rating it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My deepest condolence to Etika's friends and family. I can't believe that he's gone now.
I remember watching some of his video's in the past as well as his tutorial on how to mod Smash for Wii U.

I don't really know what to say as this is all coming so sudden to me, so I'm at a loss for words.
Rest in Peace Etika.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel the need to apologize about my behaviour yesterday.

The stress from some stuff or cases got too much into me and I may have gone too out of tone the past day for many people.

I do feel that I managed to take all that stress out, but I'm still kind of down more so with the current news.

Hopefully I slowly get back on track during the next days.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

To those who joked about the whole situation, please get off the internet.

Mental health is not a joke.

May Etika rest in peace.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Rest in peace, Etika, this is a massive loss to the community... I can't even process this, this is incredibly tragic. So much life and energy and excitement, the man was essentially the number one person to see to get you hyped and happy while watching reactions, and now he's gone... I can't say I followed him or his channel too closely, but whenever I'd see reaction videos, I always had the biggest smile on my face and felt the happiest seeing his unbridled joy.

Will be incredibly missed. And in general, we could all be kinder and more generous to each other, this community shares a lot to love, and the cruel memes and sarcastic or hurtful comments need to stop. Mental health issues are serious and the care facilities simply aren't enough. Man... I can't believe this... awful.

Condolences to his family and loved ones. He brought a lot of life and love to so many in the community.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I feel particularly bad because up until he posted his "i'm sorry" video, I had believed he was just doing all the mental stuff for clicks, for attention; and I called him out on it on social media.

Boy, do I feel stupid.

Please, if you have mental issues; get some help.

D

Deleted member

I feel particularly bad because up until he posted his "i'm sorry" video, I had believed he was just doing all the mental stuff for clicks, for attention; and I called him out on it on social media.

Boy, do I feel stupid.

Please, if you have mental issues; get some help.
Same here, though admittedly I didn’t check his videos and wasn’t super well informed, so that one’s on me.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I really can't believe it. This really happened...
Sincerely, i'm so sorry for him.
I loved his reactions, and when i heard about his issues in the last year i felt very worried about him.
I didn't know what to think about it since some people said it was just for attention, more with those weird posts.
But i still was worried...
And, in the end, things sadly turned like this...
Rest in Peace, Etika.

Attachments

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Same here, though admittedly I didn’t check his videos and wasn’t super well informed, so that one’s on me.
I'll say this; it's easy to tell a lot of his reactions were incredibly faked. He was an actor, a performer; and at the time, it definitely seemed like he was begging for attention (as his channel removal due to posing hentai would seem to indicate).

Maybe at first, stunts like that were attention-seeking, but as it continued onward, the real problem surfaced. I feel awful that I never got to apologize to the man (not that he ever read my tweets anyway as I had him blocked on twitter but...)

D

Deleted member

While I find it sad, there are always some people who take serious problems as nothing more than a call of attention.

Because yes, I had to deal with people like that both online and IRL when I was through the similar period each day. Some were even family members.

Smashboards and Discord were truly one of the few places where I felt near people who took my problems in a serious way outside of my parents and friends.

During these situations, the best thing to do is to get mostly close to the people you really are confident and don't doubt about wether or not they will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom