• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hocotate meets Koppai! +1

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah, we don't actively post much new stuff unless we find it, but if someone has a question we're more than happy to give our input. So if you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

Also testing Olimar kill percents sucks with all the colors. :\

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
God, I remember testing and cataloguing things for him back in yon olden Brawle dayes.
Never again. D:

Hang in there, buddy.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Went 3-2 and drowned in pools at 2GGT KTAR Saga.

Beat a Fox 2-1 first round. Last stock, last hit. He got pivot fsmashed with a red and lost. He slammed his controller down (later apologized.) Angel Cortes told me I played well. :)

Lost next round to a Mario 1-2. First stock in first match, I got a purple fsmash caped and died at 50%. Thanks, Sakurai. Almost took it all the way back, but lost. Won the second match. Last match he counterpicked Battlefield. He took first stock and started playing really defensive (circle camping). I couldn't get in at all. Got frustrated trying to put on offense and got two stocked.

Next round I played a Corrin. I felt bad because I coincidentally played this person in friendlies earlier and won against his Corrin. Beat him, and he switched to Mewtwo. I beat him again. 2-0.

Next round, I played a Roy. I went 1-1 with Roy. He switched to Link, and I won. 2-1. I spiked him on his failed recovery because I thought he might've been holding a bomb. He wasn't. I couldn't tell if he thought that was disrespect.

Next match, I played a Corrin. Considerably better than the other Corrin. I lost first stock because I played poorly. He pivoted at the ledge, and I rolled in. He fsmashed me with his back to the ledge and I flew faaaar across the stage and died. Next match, he went Wario. I'm terrible at this MU. I really don't know what to do except camp. I got two-stocked. 0-2 and I'm out.

I never really felt held back by tiers, but the pikmin AI failures were pretty bad at points. Pikmin AI especially on platforms held me back a bit. I feel like if the pikmin behaved better, I could've given a better chase to the Mario that sent me to Loser's. No johns, and it's on me for picking Olimar. But it does give me more insight as to how the small moments of pikmin failure are truly crucial and devastating.

Overall, fun time. Venue was a little warm, but whatever. 2GGT is super efficient. I thanked Champ for all the great work he does. Would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Went 3-2 and drowned in pools at 2GGT KTAR Saga.

Beat a Fox 2-1 first round. Last stock, last hit. He got pivot fsmashed with a red and lost. He slammed his controller down (later apologized.) Angel Cortes told me I played well. :)

Lost next round to a Mario 1-2. First stock in first match, I got a purple fsmash caped and died at 50%. Thanks, Sakurai. Almost took it all the way back, but lost. Won the second match. Last match he counterpicked Battlefield. He took first stock and started playing really defensive (circle camping). I couldn't get in at all. Got frustrated trying to put on offense and got two stocked.

Next round I played a Corrin. I felt bad because I coincidentally played this person in friendlies earlier and won against his Corrin. Beat him, and he switched to Mewtwo. I beat him again. 2-0.

Next round, I played a Roy. I went 1-1 with Roy. He switched to Link, and I won. 2-1. I spiked him on his failed recovery because I thought he might've been holding a bomb. He wasn't. I couldn't tell if he thought that was disrespect.

Next match, I played a Corrin. Considerably better than the other Corrin. I lost first stock because I played poorly. He pivoted at the ledge, and I rolled in. He fsmashed me with his back to the ledge and I flew faaaar across the stage and died. Next match, he went Wario. I'm terrible at this MU. I really don't know what to do except camp. I got two-stocked. 0-2 and I'm out.

I never really felt held back by tiers, but the pikmin AI failures were pretty bad at points. Pikmin AI especially on platforms held me back a bit. I feel like if the pikmin behaved better, I could've given a better chase to the Mario that sent me to Loser's. No johns, and it's on me for picking Olimar. But it does give me more insight as to how the small moments of pikmin failure are truly crucial and devastating.

Overall, fun time. Venue was a little warm, but whatever. 2GGT is super efficient. I thanked Champ for all the great work he does. Would definitely recommend it.
You know ... early this month I was very pessimist about Olimar fighting against all the roster, saying and assuring he doesn't have the average tools to compete. Myran Myran always says that Olimar can do it fine with practice, effort and focusing and I believe that is true.

I have been trying my theory about 2 pikmin are better than 3 and I'm getting more and more solid results on the desync issue. Whenever I get a solid conclusion I will post my results in order to every one of you can test it so we may improve Olimar metagame.

You should definitely practice your switch of gamestyle from aggro, camp, defensive, etc. Practice how to recognize when to use what and when to play like that. I tell you, I haven't being able to do it by myself but I'm really working on that and it's the best way to solve the "I don't know what to do". That was something it was happening to me till Myran adviced me that little but important detail.

Maybe this happen to you as well but before a fight I have a plan in my head and a very strict what to do list, so whenever my opponent doesn't fall to my plan I start to desperate and finally lose. That taught me (and what Myran told me) I can not have a plan for something that I can't control, but I can have several plans for different situation so I'm prepared with tools and options for those situation. So it's on me to apply them correctly.

Yesterday I went to a tournament at another region/city and got 7th of 30th players, some of them are top 30 of Chile. What I learnt and how I feel of losing this tournament, it wasn't a Pikmin desync issue or a unwinnable MU. My 2 defeats were entirely my fault and it's up to me to solve this and get good at recognize situations, overcome to the nerves, mix up my play and being consistent with my game style.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'm glad that my advice can help. I do think being aware of everything is more important with Olimar than other characters. It takes repeated effort to train that skill to the level needed to compete at the top level, it's definitely doable though. I'm consistently hitting desync smashes more and more and it's great since I can punish moves I normally couldn't just be having an idea of when they'll attack.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
You know ... early this month I was very pessimist about Olimar fighting against all the roster, saying and assuring he doesn't have the average tools to compete. Myran Myran always says that Olimar can do it fine with practice, effort and focusing and I believe that is true.

I have been trying my theory about 2 pikmin are better than 3 and I'm getting more and more solid results on the desync issue. Whenever I get a solid conclusion I will post my results in order to every one of you can test it so we may improve Olimar metagame.

You should definitely practice your switch of gamestyle from aggro, camp, defensive, etc. Practice how to recognize when to use what and when to play like that. I tell you, I haven't being able to do it by myself but I'm really working on that and it's the best way to solve the "I don't know what to do". That was something it was happening to me till Myran adviced me that little but important detail.
I feel like I'm good at switching up on the fly when I'm in the lead. Like, if I take a stock lead, I'm very aware of my position, and I will take small chip damage and be happy just getting them from 0% to 40% before I lose my lead.

BUT when I'm behind, I get nervous a bit. That definitely happened in my Mario set when he started circle camping and just shooting fireballs on Battlefield. In reality, I had "plenty of time." I probably had 3 minutes on the clock. But in my head, I kept thinking, "Dammit. I'm going to get timed out. I have to get his stock." And this put me in a bad position.

Of course, it's worse because of Olimar's poor mobility, so I had difficulty chasing him onto the platforms. And then when I landed, if I had the chance to hit him, I had the pikmin problem at the ledge of the platform. It's still something I can get better about though.

I should've just accepted his defensive posture and taken more damage with pikmin toss before trying to rush in.

Maybe this happen to you as well but before a fight I have a plan in my head and a very strict what to do list, so whenever my opponent doesn't fall to my plan I start to desperate and finally lose. That taught me (and what Myran told me) I can not have a plan for something that I can't control, but I can have several plans for different situation so I'm prepared with tools and options for those situation. So it's on me to apply them correctly.

Yesterday I went to a tournament at another region/city and got 7th of 30th players, some of them are top 30 of Chile. What I learnt and how I feel of losing this tournament, it wasn't a Pikmin desync issue or a unwinnable MU. My 2 defeats were entirely my fault and it's up to me to solve this and get good at recognize situations, overcome to the nerves, mix up my play and being consistent with my game style.
I agree that I do go in with a plan. If that doesn't work, I will sometimes get desperate, but sometimes not. Worse though, is when I don't have any idea at all. That's what happened with my match against Wario. I don't really know his set-ups or what he's looking to do, and his aerial mobility is ridiculous for us to chase. Even if I don't have a set plan, I at least want to know what my opponent wants to do, so I can stop them.

And yeah, the advice of everyone, including Myran Myran is super helpful.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Yes, I meant everyone's advice is excellent and super valuable, but that was something Myran told me so that's why I mention him.

Nevertheless there are a lot of little details we, as Olimar main, need to master to fully get the potential of our character.

FINALLY I'm starting to understand what Myran say and just now I feel I'm on the right way where I want to go with Olimar.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I haven't messed with using dysync attacks since the Brawl days, where if you up smashed when an opponent was hitting your pikmin in the air for example the upsmash could still come out, and other funky stuff like that. Can someone give me the rundown of any dysync tricks in smash 4?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What's up everyone? Just wanted to drop this interview I did with Skynerd. I talk about my Smash career and some of the mindsets I employ while playing Olimar.

Give it a shot if you don't mind.
https://youtu.be/jlTP9WNgqUA

Fixed the video lol

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
What's up everyone? Just wanted to drop this interview I did with Skynerd. I talk about my Smash career and some of the mindsets I employ while playing Olimar.

Give it a shot if you don't mind.
https://youtu.be/Wb7sN7axblc
So, what I basically got from the interview is that if I want to be a great Olimar player, I must play the Sega Saturn.

Are you secretly a Sonic main?

Last edited:

Sisma

Smash Rookie
Guys, do you know how amazing it feels to beat a for glory Kirby, 'cause now I do. :)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright I got an idea in the works, but it's in the super early stages. I'd like to know peoples opinions though. Top 4 Olimars worldwide?

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Anyone here going to rep Olimar at Abadango Saga?

Alright I got an idea in the works, but it's in the super early stages. I'd like to know peoples opinions though. Top 4 Olimars worldwide?
You, Angbad, Shuton, and Dabuz?

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
To poor to go to that lol.
Haha, yeah. Long trip from Florida.

I'm probably going. Will most likely drown in pools like KTAR Saga.

If anyone else is going, PM me. Maybe we could help each other with coaching or MU tips if you know who you're going to face.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Gonna be streaming in a few minutes. Twitch.tv/myranssb
Trying to raise some money to help pay for TBH6. I should be able to go, but any donations help make the trip far easier on me.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Anyone here going to rep Olimar at Abadango Saga?

You, Angbad, Shuton, and Dabuz?
I agree with those except for dabuz, I don't consider him an Olimar main. Even though he plays well with him.
The same order is applied for me aswell too.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Hoe ya'll Olimar players still be acting like I'm not an Olimar main even though I'vve pulling this character out at every tournament? Like it or not I'm officially a dual main at this point.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
For the record, I didn't put my four Olimar players in any order. Dabuz is the highest placing Olimar player, but he also is willing to switch off Olimar for his worst MUs. So that does make it more difficult to place him. (Although props for beating Fatality in what I feel is a losing MU.)

Without getting into the semantics of "main" vs "dual main" vs "secondary," Dabuz's accomplishments must rank him as a top Olimar player. Even if Dabuz did play Olimar's worst MUs without switching to Rosa, there's no doubt in my mind that he would at least rank among the Myran/Angbad/Shuton tier of players.

To me, if you say you're a dual main, then that's what you are. It's all just words. But if you look at the results and the players that Dabuz has beaten using Olimar only, he must be considered in the top 4.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey Dabuz Dabuz don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you and you are an amazing player, I don't hate you or something like that :).
Speaking of which, you should be more active around here. There are so few of us around the globe and any important input you could give us it will help, at least for me it's important and I appreciate any Olimar fellow where I can learn from.

It's true, lately you have been using more and more Olimar. I'm like proud of that xD because he's getting more attention, but as F Freezie KO said, it's just a word issue.

Even though the criteria wasn't specified to categorize and according for what Freezie KO said, you are certainly somewhere in top of Olimar's users.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Super disappointed with my performance at Abadango Saga.

First set was okay. I 2-0'ed a Mewtwo from NorCal.

Second set was atrocious. I was up against a Charizard. I had played a different Zard earlier in friendlies, so I thought I'd have a handle on this. In the first match, the game was tied at one stock a piece. I was hovering with up b over the Smashville platform, and for some reason, Olimar just wouldn't land on it. I thought his feet were touching, so I did a nair out of up b. I fell through the platform and SD'ed at 4%. This put me on tilt for the rest of the tourney.

Second game of second set I was winning, and then I got rage back aired by Charizard at 40% and died. There went my mentality for the rest of the tourney.

I lost my first set in loser's to a ZSS. First match, I up-b'ed back to the ledge and he caught me with a dsmash. I got down b'ed at mid percent, and tried to jump. But my jump was gone! No idea how that happened. I mashed jump to no avail. Sinking into the blastzone, I panicked and tried to hit up b... and I accidentally did an up air and SD'ed again. Lost the second match because I stopped DI'ing/Vectoring into the stage after a back air because I just didn't care anymore and I lost.

Honestly, the SD and rage back air made me so salty. I'm not sure if competing is for me. I enjoy the game, and I think I'm good at theory crafting, but playing a character that gets killed so early is always stressful and I don't think I have the mental strength to keep it together. :(

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Rage Zard back air can kill a lot of people early. I know Olimar is light, but he's a slippery one. I'm sure you'll find the right path for you whether it's competing or not.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Got 4th out of like 190 at Come to Papa 2 this past weekend. It's lower than I was gunning for, however I played pretty well for the most part. I'm happy with how my play is progressing as well.

On a side note I got tons of matches played on stream. Thinking about dropping them in the video thread.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Congratulations Myran! I saw few of your matches (some of them through the twitch) and you were amazing. Your level got very high and your improvements are notorious.
This isn't your limit though, so keep going :D.

Top Bottom