• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hocotate meets Koppai! +1

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
So! With a few of us getting the Japanese version of the game early, and the English release on the horizon, it's about time we get a social thread up!

So who plans on giving Olimar a go this time around?? :D
Personally, even if I'm upset at the more drastic changes to his game, I'll still be playing him here and there!

Dr. Canadian Bacon

Smash Cadet
Definately gonna play him, and I'm pretty happy with the changes, I just hope he's buffed because of the nerf... if that make sense.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'll probably play him regardless of if he's good or not. I have fond memories of playing him in Brawl. He's got a special place in my heart.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It'll be difficult to keep from falling into bad habits, but yeah. I enjoyed playing him too much in Brawl to just completely drop him. I'm sure there will be some things he's gotten that will be appealing.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892
It'll be difficult to keep from falling into bad habits, but yeah. I enjoyed playing him too much in Brawl to just completely drop him. I'm sure there will be some things he's gotten that will be appealing.
Aye, he was really fun to use in brawl for me mainly because of his grabs and the such, hopefully they're all still intact.
The fact that there are 3 pikmin may discourage me from playing as him too often as I'll be too used to the 6 pikmin from brawl, but I do like the fact that pikmin are now plucked in a set cycle, should make strategies easier.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I have no problem with the three Pikmin since I'm pretty much used to P:M Olimar, although since they get killed in about one or two hits I'm probably going to have to use the custom pluck with the stronger Pikmin.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Speaking of custom moves, did anyone else see the last custom Pikmin Toss?

I always said Olimar would have been the best character in Brawl if he had Kirby's Pikmin Toss, and now he pretty much does. Good God.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake and Olimar were my most used characters in Brawl, and with Snake gone, Olimar should get more time.

Still a bit miffed that his Pikmin were cut in half, I just hope he's still competent enough without them.

I probably won't use Alph much, he's fine, but I still have more love for Olimar despite only playing Pikmin 3.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah I don't plan on playing Alph a whole lot. He was fine in Pikmin 3, and I thought Pikmin 3 was a great game. But I'm with you on that, too much love for Olimar.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892
Alph just looks awkward compared to Olimar, especially with his big eyes.
Still cool though.

The_SuperiorTaste

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperiorTaste
3DS FC
0834-2018-7252
I'll definitely main Olimar, regardless where he is on the tier list. Does anyone know if the Japanese players, like Brood or Nietono, are playing Olimar? Those are the players that inspired me to pick up Olimar and improve my game at the time.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'll definitely main Olimar, regardless where he is on the tier list. Does anyone know if the Japanese players, like Brood or Nietono, are playing Olimar? Those are the players that inspired me to pick up Olimar and improve my game at the time.
I'm the exact same way. I got into Olimar/Competitive because of watching Nietono. Unfortunately Nietono is not playing Olimar. Currently he plays Greninja. Not to sure about Brood though, but I don't think he's playing him.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
It appears that his lack of 6 Pikmin is throwing a lot of people off since they can't constantly throw them and expect to have more in tow. Almost all of the Olimar/Alph matches I've seen on Youtube the player controlling them has no idea how to use him so they are constantly out of Pikmin and being to aggressive. I think for now we have to wait till we it comes to the rest of the world before we really see any good game play.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I know Nietono at least somewhat dropped Olimar near the end of the Brawl era for Meta Knight, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't too keen on playing him in Smash 4. Which is a shame, because out of all of the American and Japanese Olimars, I liked Nietono's playstyle in particular the most.

I know most American Olimar mains aren't leaning much towards the character this time around too. I know Rich Brown showed some interest if he couldn't get the hang of certain other characters he was trying out, but I know players like Dabuz and Denti are looking at other characters.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I know Nietono at least somewhat dropped Olimar near the end of the Brawl era for Meta Knight, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't too keen on playing him in Smash 4. Which is a shame, because out of all of the American and Japanese Olimars, I liked Nietono's playstyle in particular the most.

I know most American Olimar mains aren't leaning much towards the character this time around too. I know Rich Brown showed some interest if he couldn't get the hang of certain other characters he was trying out, but I know players like Dabuz and Denti are looking at other characters.
I don't blame them. I enjoyed Olimar a ton in Brawl, but if he isn't what I want then I will switch. The thing about him in Brawl was that he was very different from all the other characters in terms of play style, and he was extremely good at the same time. I don't wanna sound like someone who only cares about tier list here, but I definitely could see why from a competitive stand point they would change if they think he wouldn't be able to compete as well

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Olimar in this game doesn't feel like Olimar. I'm not going to say he's bad...yet, but to be good with him is going to require playing a way completely different from his brawl incarnation.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Olimar in this game doesn't feel like Olimar. I'm not going to say he's bad...yet, but to be good with him is going to require playing a way completely different from his brawl incarnation.
I figured as much. I'm ready to try a different play style. Seems like he'll be much more aggressive.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm still set on maining Oli, but I might co-main or submain Duck Hunt Dog with him.
From the video I saw, DHD is freaking ADORABLE.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hate to break it to you Oli's, but you guys have a pretty bad game-breaking glitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLXfZlj2LA#t=17
SAKURAIIIIII!! But seriously this needs to be patched.

Also, when is the sub-forum name being changed from PIkmin and Olimar to just Olimar? We know that's definitely the english name again, despite what the website would have you believe.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Last edited:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, with Ghost Pikmin we didn't even know how it worked until years into Brawl's lifespan. We'll be fine.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Is it still "Pikmin & Olimar" in the US? Cause it's just "Olimar" here in Europe.

Take that Pikmin! :p

Last edited:

The_SuperiorTaste

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperiorTaste
3DS FC
0834-2018-7252
So how does everyone like Olimar now that we got our hands on the game? Personally I like him a lot, he can apply decent pressure and still has a good defensive game. Unfortunately for me though, I think I'll pick him up as a secondary and pick up Greninja as my main.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
So how does everyone like Olimar now that we got our hands on the game? Personally I like him a lot, he can apply decent pressure and still has a good defensive game. Unfortunately for me though, I think I'll pick him up as a secondary and pick up Greninja as my main.
I'll probably main him and someone else, because it seems like fast characters like sonic just shut him down.

BulborbAdventurer

Smash Rookie
I'm really having trouble in matchups with certain characters. Not all fast characters, as sonic runs right into pivot grabs or the like, but non-slow characters with reach that outprioritize grabs (anything that hits the pikmin before the pikmin hits the character while approaching, such as swords).
I can deal with slower characters by playing the camp game similar to brawl olimar, but I just can't get the hang of pikmin grabs being able to be hit (things like swords in dash attacks>pikmin), and having lower priority for their range. The less grab range is really bugging me (granted it wasn't fair in brawl), but olimar just doesn't have the range and priority that would make up for his lackluster speed.
I used to brute force characters that had these speeds (and hitboxes that weren't hurtboxes) with sheer dps and denying approaches with grabs, but Olimar no longer offers either of these, as well.
How have you all denied approaches of relatively fast characters that have reach beyond olimar's grab range? Do you just completely give up on this aspect?
edit: also, on a side note, pikmin randomly seem to detach from olimar when olimar dashes or throws a different pikmin/uses a smash. How do you not leave yourself vulnerable while still putting on pressure? his neutrals are good, but do you use those or save pikmin for self defense?

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'm really having trouble in matchups with certain characters. Not all fast characters, as sonic runs right into pivot grabs or the like, but non-slow characters with reach that outprioritize grabs (anything that hits the pikmin before the pikmin hits the character while approaching, such as swords).
I can deal with slower characters by playing the camp game similar to brawl olimar, but I just can't get the hang of pikmin grabs being able to be hit (things like swords in dash attacks>pikmin), and having lower priority for their range. The less grab range is really bugging me (granted it wasn't fair in brawl), but olimar just doesn't have the range and priority that would make up for his lackluster speed.
I used to brute force characters that had these speeds (and hitboxes that weren't hurtboxes) with sheer dps and denying approaches with grabs, but Olimar no longer offers either of these, as well.
How have you all denied approaches of relatively fast characters that have reach beyond olimar's grab range? Do you just completely give up on this aspect?
edit: also, on a side note, pikmin randomly seem to detach from olimar when olimar dashes or throws a different pikmin/uses a smash. How do you not leave yourself vulnerable while still putting on pressure? his neutrals are good, but do you use those or save pikmin for self defense?
For characters with disjoints like sword characters you could try to bait their attack then powershield and grab or fsmash out of it. Another option is to bait them to come into you with Pikmin toss and punish after they attack. I recommend always keeping a purple on hand for these types of situations so that if you need to you can make them either shield or get hit which can allow time for you to go on the offensive or retreat.

I have also had the same problem with Pikmin randomly flying off the stage and whatnot. It appears Sakurai and his team do not understand how to fix Pikmin desyncs.

BulborbAdventurer

Smash Rookie
~snip~
I have also had the same problem with Pikmin randomly flying off the stage and whatnot. It appears Sakurai and his team do not understand how to fix Pikmin desyncs.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. The pikmin micromanagement in this game is more of a keep-pikmin-with-olimar than managing the order of your pikmin, keeping track of how many you have, etc. This and having 3 pikmin feels less pikmin-like (game series wise). It's really frustrating to have 2 pikmin on someone, and knowing you have a third somewhere, watch it stand idle 2 feet away as you go to call a smash attack and get punished.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'm glad I'm not the only one. The pikmin micromanagement in this game is more of a keep-pikmin-with-olimar than managing the order of your pikmin, keeping track of how many you have, etc. This and having 3 pikmin feels less pikmin-like (game series wise). It's really frustrating to have 2 pikmin on someone, and knowing you have a third somewhere, watch it stand idle 2 feet away as you go to call a smash attack and get punished.
I'd have to say that there is definitely still Pikmin management if you truly want to maximize your damage output and kill potential. Reds seems to have the best kill power now, and blue work well with throws. I can agree that it gets annoying for a Pikmin to fly away from you when you need it though. Most of the time I already see it happen so I can pull back and return to neutral if need be.

BulborbAdventurer

Smash Rookie
What is everyone's main killing moves? I used to exclusively use 4 directional aerials + bthrow, uthrow, and the smashes. Although I kind of like how olimar is sped up, I'm not sure how to ko things without staling all my smashes (and down air)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What is everyone's main killing moves? I used to exclusively use 4 directional aerials + bthrow, uthrow, and the smashes. Although I kind of like how olimar is sped up, I'm not sure how to ko things without staling all my smashes (and down air)
Nothing about Olimar seems sped up to me, but I don't know. I usually use fsmash maybe up or down smash but much less frequently. Occasionally I'll use bair while coming down to get a kill, and if they are at the right percent a blue Pikmin forward or up throw can kill.

BulborbAdventurer

Smash Rookie
Nothing about Olimar seems sped up to me, but I don't know. I usually use fsmash maybe up or down smash but much less frequently. Occasionally I'll use bair while coming down to get a kill, and if they are at the right percent a blue Pikmin forward or up throw can kill.
I believe all his smashes are sped up, but launch less
edit: fsmash launches less, but at same speed; does more damage

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Are any of you having much luck with Olimar? Because no matter how hard I try, I lose most matches with him on 1v1 for glory. Any tips?

Top Bottom