• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So in one year anniversary of the announcement of the Season Pass. What do you guys think of it so far? What's your verdict on it until we reach DLC fighter 5?
It's okay. Banjo and Hero are fun to play as, and all the stages are good. I wish there was a character I was interested in before reveal, but with how Nintendo-focused my gaming history is, that's to be expected.

D

Deleted member

they may laugh at the grinch assists fallen grinch characters ex:ultbanjokazooie: and other fan choices but we’ll see who’s laughing once the ones on the top left get in soon
Realistically speaking is there any argument as to why Sakurai or Nintendo would upgrade Spirits or AT for that matter?

There are still many franchises still to appear in the game in any form, they pretty much can continue the trend of introducing new franchises to the game.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be fair, Thanksgiving is an American thing while Halloween and Christmas are global
Actually, I am pretty sure Canada has its own Thanksgiving holiday. Unless you were referring to the United States and Canada as well.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I am pretty sure Canada has its own Thanksgiving holiday. Unless you were referring to the United States and Canada as well.
iirc they're on different days. I suppose its also likely that Canada may partake in festivities considering it has a similar cultural melting pot that the US does, but to my knowledge outside of the US, Thanksgiving is practically a non-entity

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Realistically speaking is there any argument as to why Sakurai or Nintendo would upgrade Spirits or AT for that matter?

There are still many franchises still to appear in the game in any form, they pretty much can continue the trend of introducing new franchises to the game.
Because while only a minority really wants them, only another minority would really hate them. And if the public is a bunch of mindless drones, they go "must consume new Smash content", not "must consume third party character".

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
So in one year anniversary of the announcement of the Season Pass. What do you guys think of it so far? What's your verdict on it until we reach DLC fighter 5?
:ultjoker: 9/10: While I'm not really a fan of his gameplay style (being my least favorite style of play from the DLC fighters so far), he was by far and away the most "holy ****" character revealed for the pass and maintains it so far. Persona is also one of the best represented 3rd party franchises, easily up there with Castlevania and Mega Man. Mementos is also a really cool stage and the music is a big contributing factor.

:ulthero: 8/10: Leaks somewhat ruined the surprise factor of the Hero, but I still think he was a really good inclusion. The idea of the Hero having other characters as alternate costumes (akin to Bowser Jr) is something that other characters should adopt (the Belmonts would be really cool for this). His gameplay to me is really fun, being the most fun DLC fighter to me at the moment and Yggdrassil's Altar is my favorite DLC stage so far.

:ultbanjokazooie: 9/10: Need I say more here? Banjo was in every way a great inclusion to the roster. Not my favorite gameplay style, but I just love seeing this guy in the game. Spiral Mountain is a great stage, the music in it is great, everything about Banjo is really good.

1572619481557.png
8/10 so far. Terry from what little we've seen looks really cool. His stage looks amazing and I like that Fatal Fury/King of Fighters is getting rep here. Also, has probably the best trailer of the DLC fighters so far, even better then Joker's VGA reveal in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ever since wol was revealed the light beams became a meme and lots of people had fun with it to make sure everyone is dead ex kirby and not just the fighters lol
Here are some memes back then. Also the sans ones aged beautifuly
https://youtu.be/uK7AAbb__gM
https://youtu.be/IofKKcZT4oo
https://youtu.be/_zJ8VP9YyjU
Anyway kirby survived and managed to defeat galeem and darkhon. Not only making him the hero but their little pink savior
82490BC0-E73A-4282-859F-B2CAD8504570.jpeg

sauce:https://www.deviantart.com/akubakaarts/art/COMM-Zelda-and-Kirby-805426248

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Pretty good so far.

I don’t have an attachment to Persona, but I like how stylistically distinctive Joker and Mementos is. Joker doesn’t appeal to my play style, but Mementos is one of my all time favorite stages, especially the blue Persona 3 version.

Hero is mixed, I like that he has alts than span 4 different decades and Hero vs Hero is amusing, but he’s kind of annoying to fight against and the midi music really kills the vibe with his stage.

Banjo-Kazooie is my brothers all time favorite game, seeing my brother so happy makes me happy. Banjo is fun to fight against and has incredible music on his stage, only wish there was more!

Withholding judgement on Terry until he releases.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Everyone always skips Thanksgiving. Makes me sad.
In Puerto Rico we celebrate both. Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs said it best, Thanksgiving for the food, Christmas for the music and mood. Me personally, Jump Up Superstar! fits Thanksgiving a lot.

Also, am I the only one that associate Super Mario 3D World with Christmas a lot? I mean the credits song for that game fits PERFECTLY for a Christmas Eve dinner.

D

Deleted member

Meh

Joker was cool(don't really care for him or Persona)
Hero was bad(hate him and his series, although less so for his series)
Banjo was really cool and all, but I just don't care for him.
and Terry is so awful(I hate him because of his design, nothing against SNK)

Fighter 5 will have to be something BIG(cough Mettaton cough) for it to go up to a resounding, "It's fine" for me personally.
I REALLY need to stress that this is how I view the characters from their home games, not how they play in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I play Christmas music during Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving carries the food, Christmas carries the music. That's how I balance things out :p
Yeah. Thanksgiving doesn’t really have music. But it’s it’s own feeling. It has its own vibe that I like this time of year. Even more so than Halloween (which is about spoops), Thanksgiving is about fall. It’s calmer. More relaxed. It’s like, the calm after party to Halloween craziness.
The altar is extremely boring and also has to have the crappy music playing.
Spiral Mountain spinning ****s with my head
Is the music really that bad? I think it sounds fine.
To be fair, Thanksgiving is an American thing while Halloween and Christmas are global
I keep forgetting that. I don’t know why I keep forgetting that because it’s obvious. But I do.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Joker: 10/10 - I basically instantly became a Joker main. Absolutely love playing as this character. Mementos is also great and the music is sublime.

Hero: 9/10. Really like this character. Super fun to play as, cool mechanics, and the four alts are great. Yggdrasil's Altar is also a fantastic stage, one of my go-to's for semi-competitive matches. And I don't really mind the midi tracks, and I like DQ music in general.

Banjo: 8/10 Fun character, don't play him much though. Don't like Spiral Mountain too much though. Music isn't as much to my tastes as the other two (though I don't hear it as much since I don't like Spiral Mountain), but it's still great.

Terry: idk/10. I've been playing some Ken recently and he's pretty fun even if he doesn't really fit my playstyle. If Terry fits more I might end up liking him a lot.

D

Deleted member

Because Nintendo hears and listens To the fans. Also
The game worlds statement I think is referring to series that don’t have fighters yet Even if this is sakurais last game he would put geno in. so I think one or two upgrades wouldn’t hurt

but your right there are still Unrepresented 3rd parties yet to be added that could most likley get added instead of spirits some that are pretty much big like
-lloyd
-leon
-sol badguy
-crash bandicoot
-arle
-professor layton
-agumon
-Phoenix Wright
Idk about Ryu since he’s in leaks a lot so I’m less confident in him But sadly I lost all hope for the doom slayer

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The game worlds statement I think is referring to series that don’t have fighters yet
Wasn't it also translatable as "expanding the world of Smash"? Which could mean anything after they thought Banjo would fit in with DLC meant to attract new demographics.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
:ultjoker:- B tier. Cool character, fun game (never played but I've seen scenes from playthroughs and they're pretty dope), and I like watching him in tournament. He's got a unique, flashy moveset.

:ulthero:- C tier. Very crazy moveset, which can be interesting but I don't really care about Dragon Quest that much, and if you're on the wrong side of luck then things get really aggravating... whether you're playing Hero OR fighting against Hero.

:ultbanjokazooie:- A tier. Incredible addition. A classic retro duo that hasn't seen the light of day in a while, and Sakurai breathed new life into them.

Terry- n/a. I don't care about his franchise, but we'll see what his moveset is and then I'll give a rating.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
It's okay - I think the choices largely make sense and do a good job at balancing who they appeal to. There's also clearly been a lot of love put into each fighter and their series. I'm just not personally that into it as there hasn't been anyone I've really wanted yet, though I might buy Hero at some point.

D

Deleted member

It's okay - I think the choices largely make sense and do a good job at balancing who they appeal to. There's also clearly been a lot of love put into each fighter and their series. I'm just not personally that into it as there hasn't been anyone I've really wanted yet, though I might buy Hero at some point.
pretty much the same for me, but add a few hates(I hate Terry with a passion, design-wise, along with Hero)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t know, I feel like the fans asking for 1st parties are a minority, which sounds like it wouldn’t be true. But this is the vacuum that is Smash fans we’re looking at. I also don’t think there’s a reason to expect upgrades until one actually happens.

Are there fans that want characters who happen to be spirits? Sure. But there are fans who want characters not in Smash at all, or are characters that are a huge deal to the industry.

There is also the chance that Sakurai could view spirits as part of the crossover, if SourceGaming translations are to be believed.

I would just say that basically, stuff entirely new to Smash expands the game more than characters that are non-playable but in Smash already.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well, to echo another user's opinion...

Joker from Persona 5 tier:
  • Joker from Persona 5
Not Joker from Persona 5 tier:
  • Hero
  • Terrence
  • Banjo
All jokes aside, I've immensely enjoyed playing as every DLC fighter so far and I'm looking forward to Terry releasing in another week or two.

D

Deleted member

Joker- Loved the announcement and thought it was an epic choice for addition. I loved Persona 5; it's a great game. As for how he plays? He's a good character, but not really my style, so he's not for me sadly.

Hero- I love Dragon Quest so this was another absolutely incredible addition for me, personally. I like the way he plays and enjoy the ability to switch it up with his spell list every now and then. I tend to trip people up online a bit because I don't use the Spell List nearly as often as others. I tend to rely on the Zap line of spells or a pre-charged KaFrizz.

Banjo-Kazooie- Didn't really care for the game, so this reveal did nothing for me. Like early Megaman and Castlevania, this is a series that got its start on Nintendo and had essentially no life beyond Nintendo so its hard to even consider him a 3rd party character. I'm not a tremendous fan of how he plays; he's not bad but be feels...lacking...to me.

Terry- Unexpected reveal and pretty good. Hard to really have a full opinion because we haven't seen anything behind his character model and a sort of bladebeam-esque move from the teaser trailer. If his attacks are a bit swifter then Ken & Ryu's, then I'll probably enjoy him. This is an old-school videogame icon and in a game that's shaping up to be the biggest crossover since Infinity War or Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I'd say he's a perfect fit. I'm hoping his attack speed is faster then Ken/Ryu, but slower than Falcon & Mac (they're too fast for my taste). Some kind of middle-ground between them would be perfect for me.

???- Still no word on this one, but the next stealth trailer will likely say who it is. Game's looking a little male-heavy so I would love for the Kos-Mos rumor to be true. I only ever played the first Xenosaga game on PS2, but it was pretty good and she'd make an interesting addition. This whole pass seems to be 3rd party characters so far, so I doubt they'll go back in house for the final. Problem is, Kos-Mos isn't really a 'face' of that series, so I don't know how likely it is. Aside from Joker (who seemingly made it because Sakurai absolutely loved the game to the point of basing Smash Ultimate's UI after it), the other additions have been pretty well-known so far (and Banjo seems to fulfill the last highly requested Western character). It could be Geno, but I'm not convinced that the fanbase for him is really all that big; I think it's just a loud minority. Sure, he's got his own thread here and others asking for him, but how many people actually played Super Mario RPG and cared about him when he had so little to do with the story? Nobody outside of gaming forums really knows who he is compared to the rest of the casual fanbase who can easily identify and name 90% of the rest of the roster. Maybe for the next fighter's pass, but I don't know for here. This last one will be one last gaming Icon from somewhere. Ryu Hyabusa has roots with early Nintendo in the first Ninja Gaiden on NES, so he'd be a blast from the past and a good choice. Arthur from Ghosts n' Goblins might actually be possible too (unless he's stuck bound to Marvel vs Capcom somehow) due to his roots as a classic Nintendo characters back in the NES and SNES days.

D

Deleted member

I find it kinda funny that no-one said anything about my unpopular opinion(I hate Terry and Hero with a passion)

AHEM, that's going off topic, thou, so...

1572622965833.png

D

Deleted member

I find it kinda funny that no-one said anything about my unpopular opinion(I hate Terry and Hero with a passion)

View attachment 244263
I would have but I had just posted, so it would have been a double post. Kinda rare to see someone hate the DQ series. XI was pretty good too, but if traditional jRPGs are not your cup of tea, then well...I guess you're not a tea drinker.

D

Deleted member

Joker: dope character I knew nothing about. Really fun to play with from time to time. Epic reveal, stage, music, spirits and moveset.

Hero: best addition so far. Specifically the DQ8 Hero. Epic reveal, stage, DQ8 music, spirits and moveset.

Banjo: same as Joker. Ok reveal, epic music, ok spirits and epic moveset.

Terry: Welcomed surprise which I am looking forward to play with.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 244263
I mean, it's nothing we haven't heard before. Terry was a "literally who" after his initial reveal anyway.

I just don't get character hate anymore. Like, sure, maybe if you always play against the character online and you're sick of them, but that's more frustration. Like, why waste the energy expressing disinterest at a character you'd rather not have in the game? Ultimately Smash has something in it you like, so why focus on the things you aren't privvy to as opposed to just holding up what you like about it?

D

Deleted member

Someone at the LEGO fandom needs to make a custom LEGO Galactus Minifigure with this.

77B896D1-6A38-49BB-BD75-1DF0E7A5D268.jpeg

D

Deleted member

I would have but I had just posted, so it would have been a double post. Kinda rare to see someone hate the DQ series. XI was pretty good too, but if traditional jRPGs are not your cup of tea, then well...I guess you're not a tea drinker.
I just don't really like the premise, honestly.

I find Hero's design as well to just be dull(I'm only referring to the default, the alt skins range from okay to wtf why is this a thing)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don’t know, I feel like the fans asking for 1st parties are a minority, which sounds like it wouldn’t be true. But this is the vacuum that is Smash fans we’re looking at. I also don’t think there’s a reason to expect upgrades until one actually happens.

Are there fans that want characters who happen to be spirits? Sure. But there are fans who want characters not in Smash at all, or are characters that are a huge deal to the industry.

There is also the chance that Sakurai could view spirits as part of the crossover, if SourceGaming translations are to be believed.

I would just say that basically, stuff entirely new to Smash expands the game more than characters that are non-playable but in Smash already.
Eh, I doubt the people asking for Nintendo characters are the minority. With so many beloved characters across many different franchises both old and new, big and small, there's at least one that someone would love to see in the game. I feel the bigger reason you don't hear as much about them is that many feel that Spirits deconfirm, so very few talk about them since the majority of them are considered unlikely and they're not allowed in general discussion because it's always steered towards who has the best chance to be in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Terry was a "literally who" after his initial reveal anyway.
That's another reason why I hate him, but it's more a me thing(and I admit it's flawed, mainly 'murican bias)
His design also is just off-putting to me.
I don't really like fighter/brawler characters in general.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just don't really like the premise, honestly.

I find Hero's design as well to just be dull(I'm only referring to the default, the alt skins range from okay to wtf why is this a thing)
Foolishness Bakugan, foolishness. 8th colours control everything and without it, you can't protect anyone. Let alone yourself *crit sounds*

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
It’s been 1 whole year since the 11/1 Presentation. Might as well share my thoughts on the characters in hindsight: (Prepare for some hot takes)

:ultken: : Definitely deserving to be in the game, and pretty much the definition of what an echo should be (alongside Chrom): similar to the base character in most regards, but with numerous differences that makes them unique in their own ways, making them deserving of a nearly full-fledged spot on the roster instead of being essentially a pallet swap (looking at Daisy and Dark Samus).

:ultincineroar: : Although he is a very unique character and a good representative of the 7th gen Pokémon games, I honestly feel like Decidueye could’ve been a more interesting character to have in Smash. A moveset based around grass and ghost type moves, as well as archery, would’ve been moreso my cup of tea, rather than the slow, fire and dark type wrestling based moves that we got for Incineroar. Either way, he’s still pretty neat, although he’s one of the last characters I’d probably even play because of his playstyle.

:ultpiranha: : WARNING: Pretty much a rant about my confusion and dislike of this character, read at your own risk.
Look, I was satisfied with the roster already and honestly didn’t care if another Mario character got in, but I still view this as a slap in the face to most of the Smash fanbase, especially after the notable outcry from Waluigi fans. Yes, I understand that he was chosen for his recognizability and apparent moveset potential. And yet, the fact that a generic Piranha Plant, not even a shrunken down Petey Piranha, nor a character that’s been requested constantly (Waluigi, Toad/Captain Toad, Geno, Paper Mario) was chosen to join the lineup of Nintendo and friends’ greatest and latest heroes, villains, and other parts of gaming history, doesn’t sit right with me. If anything, the Super Smash Flash 2 devs did what I feel could’ve definitely been done: playable Waluigi that has a Piranha Plant as part of his moveset. They have that, while the official game adds for DLC a completely generic enemy character with no defining characteristics, the hero of one of the hottest new games from 2/3 years ago, a 4-in-1 character representing one of gaming’s greatest RPG franchises, a former pipe dream and N64 icon that’s been requested since the original SSB, and a representative of a game that served as a very big inspiration for Sakurai to create Smash Bros.. One of these things is not like the other...

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
That's another reason why I hate him, but it's more a me thing(and I admit it's flawed, mainly 'murican bias)
His design also is just off-putting to me.
I don't really like fighter/brawler characters in general.
I suppose I'm biased too because I love traditional fighting games (also got them 'Murican sensibilities), but it just doesn't make sense to me to hate a character that I don't really know. I don't care about the Bayonetta series, but I don't think it would add anything to be mad about Bayo's inclusion. Just gonna make me frustrated, and that happens enough already :p

To each their own, but I think you should try to keep an open mind about Terry. Smash is a celebration of video game history, and you may find a series you really love through it.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Joker: I don't care for P5, but I'd be lying if I said that his reveal trailer wasn't hype in the slightest. As a character, he's a rushdown combo heavy character, and that isn't quite my playstyle, as I prefer more technical characters overall.

Hero: I was on board from the start, given that his moveset is interesting, and it delivered. His spell mechanic is very fun, and I do like how faithful he is to DQ, coming with 4 alt costumes to boot. He's one of my mains (and also the first Swordie I main, unless Ivysaur counts), and I just love the execution.

Banjo: Meh. I may be biased, but I never got the hype around him. I can say his games have some charm, but it's well before my time. As a character, eh. He feels clunky in some aspects, not as much as Plant does in the air, but you can feel it tbh. My least favorite out of the pack.

Terry: I have no connection to SNK, but I do like Ryu and Ken, so Terry could be interesting? I need more info on him tbh.

D

Deleted member

Foolishness Bakugan, foolishness. 8th colours control everything and without it, you can't protect anyone. Let alone yourself *crit sounds*
Me preparing to respond to this post:

Ahem, in all seriousness, the main alt I dislike is the blue one, I really hate the clashing color scheme.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well guys, my friend Rick bought me 24 Halloween Loot Boxes. I'm opening them now.

Edit: 1st: Cultist Zenyatta

Edit: 2nd: "Stretch" Zenyatta Emote

Edit: 3rd: Possessed Pharah

Edit: 4th: ASDFGHJKL PROPHET SIGMA AND WITCH MERCY IN ONE BOX

5th: Islander Roadhog

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom