• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Marnie and Bede were already on the leak that came before the Dynamax, etc. reveals; the one that had Sirfetch'd and the starter evolutions.
Is that the original leak (the one that first called gigantamax) or a newer one? If it's newer than that one I'd like a link if you've got one, I haven't seen it yet.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
War in of itself is political lmao what the ****.
And then CoD realizes this, changes the game to "Call of Duty: Sit Around in a Room All Day and Do Nothing Because Everything is Political."

It's the most immersive game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I see people complaining about the SM anime. Did Ash lose another League?
We don't know anything about who wins the league.

If I had to take a guess, the criticism is directed toward the latest episode, where...

Hau and his Decidueye win, only for Hala, his own grandfather, to overturn the ruling because Ash's Rowlet wasn't KO'd. It only fell asleep. Ash went on to win the match, despite Rowlet not taking the battle as seriously as it should.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I got my hands on an SNES Classic Edition finally, and BOY HOWDY am I bad at Super Mario World. On the bright side, I didn’t have to unplug anything to hook it up to the TV, and I finally found a use for the beanbag I’ve had sitting in my room for years, because the controller cords were shorter than I anticipated.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wouldn't recommend that. Crickets are very aggressive, territorial creatures, and in some cases, even vengeful. For instance, I nearly stepped on one the other day while I went out for a walk. When I came home, all of my kitchen knives were missing and I could hear a chorus of aggressive chirping and knife-sharpening from my bedroom upstairs...

...I barely got out of the house alive.
...So I guess that I'm basically a dead man now, huh?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I've been seeing some misinformation. Wal-Mart has only said that they've been taking down video game ADS that feature violence or are for violent games, not that they're ending sales of games all together. Wal-Mart is a business, and they're not going to halt sales of something as popular as video games just like that, that would negatively affect their cash flow.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Their explanations are even worse, like, because things luke Trump isn't in it, it isn't political, despite taking place in a Syrian War.
Like, I get it, it's politics that don't really affect the main demographic so it's different, but it's political all the same and acting like it isn't just to appease a certain group of people who are for some reason deathly afraid of controversial subjects is silly.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I've been seeing some misinformation. Wal-Mart has only said that they've been taking down video game ADS that feature violence or are for violent games, not that they're ending sales of games all together. Wal-Mart is a business, and they're not going to halt sales of something as popular as video games just like that, that would negatively affect their cash flow.
I think the critism is pointing out the irony that Walmart flat out has guns displayed in many of their stores, for everyone to see, but they took down the banners of Violent Video games instead.

Also, there's stuff with the NRA and them that I won't get into.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I think the critism is pointing out the irony that Walmart flat out has guns displayed in many of their stores, for everyone to see, but they took down the banners of Violent Video games instead.

Also, there's stuff with the NRA and them that I won't get into.
No, I'm totally with people upset about the hypocrisy of having guns on full display, it's awful.

I'm just pointing out that people saying definitively that "Wal-Mart has stopped selling games" are circulating rumours that are almost certainly untrue.

This whole situation just piles on evidence proving that Canada is better than the US anyway.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is that the original leak (the one that first called gigantamax) or a newer one? If it's newer than that one I'd like a link if you've got one, I haven't seen it yet.
This is the rumor people are referring to.

I would like to point out to those who think the lack of Bea and Allister confirm it as fake that this leak suggested there would be some type of either/or gym where you face either Fairy or Poison gym leaders. This was before the July video. That's pretty notable, and it's possible that this isn't the full list.

I think it's fake, but I haven't seen any solid points against it aside from, "Game Freak wouldn't do that so it's fake."

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
No, I'm totally with people upset about the hypocrisy of having guns on full display, it's awful.

I'm just pointing out that people saying definitively that "Wal-Mart has stopped selling games" are circulating rumours that are almost certainly untrue.

This whole situation just piles on evidence proving that Canada is better than the US anyway.
Yeah, I don't think Walmart will stop selling games in the slightest (not like I see anyone actually buy games from Walmart), but their decisions as of lately has been... questionable.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"we can have guns and sell them to potential wackos, but videogames are evil!"

while I think people should be allowed to have a gun (with background checks and whatever else to make sure it's not a criminal or mentally unstable dude), this crap is ridiculous.

This is the rumor people are referring to.

I would like to point out to those who think the lack of Bea and Allister confirm it as fake that this leak suggested there would be some type of either/or gym where you face either Fairy or Poison gym leaders. This was before the July video. That's pretty notable, and it's possible that this isn't the full list.

I think it's fake, but I haven't seen any solid points against it aside from, "Game Freak wouldn't do that so it's fake."
Eh, I don't see how they'd confuse the Fighting gym for a Fairy one, or even the Ghost one if they or their sources were paying attention.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, why are people even getting so upset over this Walmart display issue? Regardless of which side you stand on, Walmart tried to acknowledge the existence of a serious issue. Did it really do anything? No, not really, but if you're just gonna criticize them for seemingly being hypocritical, then you're encouraging them to be silent in the future.

That's not gonna help the problem at all.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone else interested in Astral Chain? The game comes out in a few more weeks and I don't see much discussion about it on here...
Sorta. Though since haven't bought much this year. I'm more looking forward to catching on MUA3 and DMC5.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly, why are people even getting so upset over this Walmart display issue? Regardless of which side you stand on, Walmart tried to acknowledge the existence of a serious issue. Did it really do anything? No, not really, but if you're just gonna criticize them for seemingly being hypocritical, then you're encouraging them to be silent in the future.
tbh my thoughts were in regard to the entire situation in general, I don't really care about what Wal-mart did. They could've just been trying to avoid those political dudes, and even if that's not their reason, meh, it's not like they're taking the games out of their stores.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Honestly, why are people even getting so upset over this Walmart display issue? Regardless of which side you stand on, Walmart tried to acknowledge the existence of a serious issue. Did it really do anything? No, not really, but if you're just gonna criticize them for seemingly being hypocritical, then you're just encouraging them to be silent in the future.

That's not gonna help the problem at all.
My problem is that the only thing their response did was try and further enforce a narrative where videogames are the cause of gun violence in this country when there is so much evidence that contradicts that theory. Their response was more harmful than anything else in my opinion.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My problem is that the only thing their response did was try and further enforce a narrative where videogames are the cause of gun violence in this country when there is so much evidence that contradicts that theory. Their response was more harmful than anything else in my opinion.
A large corporation is showing interest in a serious issue that's affecting people's lives. That's not a bad thing.

Besides, in hindsight, is their "response" really that big of a deal? Aside from making people cranky because another person/company did something that suggests video games are pure evil, what harm did removing a few cardboard displays do? The games are still sitting behind those glass cases, ready to be bought.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Boomers misdirect the blame on something else that isn't their precious shoot shoot weapons.

image.gif

What else is new? They've been doing it since the 90s.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
A large corporation is showing interest in a serious issue that's affecting people's lives. That's not a bad thing.

Besides, in hindsight, is their "response" really that big of a deal? Aside from making people cranky because another person/company did something that suggests video games are pure evil, what harm did removing a few cardboard displays do? The games are still sitting behind those glass cases, ready to be bought.
the problem is that it further pushes the idea that video games cause violence, which is really just a scapegoat that's used to ignore the real issues

its also in general just a very lacking response when they are in a position to actually change something

no response would probably be better than pushing a borderline harmful narrative

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Here's the thing, by validating the idea that videogames are the problem, you're further derailing the conversation towards solving this ongoing issue America has with mass shootings. It's not the most serious consequence, but you're taking attention away from pursuing any real solutions and slowing progress. Also, not to be rude, but it being a response to a serious issue doesn't make it good. If someone in response to a house being set on fire proceeded to further fuel said flames, would you want them responding in the future?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
> “Guns don’t kill people! People kill people! Don’t blame inanimate objects for that!”

> “It’s the video games fault!”

There’s no connection to video games. At all. I played Gears for hours straight as a teen, and guess what? I, like many others, have zero desire to mow down a group of people with a firearm.

The US is the only place with a massive problem. 250 mass shootings in 2019, next closest countries have 5 or fewer.

Every country has video games. There’s no connection.

Will not go deeper than that. I could, but I won’t. Bringing games into the conversation is asinine, and removing signs for games with guns isn’t addressing any meaningful facet of the discourse.

EDIT: In addition, I am not going to debate gun violence here, because it isn’t the place. But I will simply say that the politicians blaming video games should not be humored, as it’s not good faith.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
the problem is that it further pushes the idea that video games cause violence, which is really just a scapegoat that's used to ignore the real issues

its also in general just a very lacking response when they are in a position to actually change something

no response would probably be better than pushing a borderline harmful narrative
No response is the same as ignoring the problem. Even if you disagree with what they're doing, it's helping more people to acknowledge the existence of a problem.

But I digress. Personally, I think both sides are drifting away from the real issue. Unless you genuinely think someone is gonna place a ban on video games, you're just wasting your breath debating this. We aren't accomplishing anything.

Here's the thing, by validating the idea that videogames are the problem, you're further derailing the conversation towards solving this ongoing issue America has with mass shootings. It's not the most serious consequence, but you're taking attention away from pursuing any real solutions and slowing progress. Also, not to be rude, but it being a response to a serious issue doesn't make it good. If someone in response to a house being set on fire proceeded to further fuel said flames, would you want them responding in the future?
While I agree that it's derailing the conversation, it's not that different from other debates related to guns in the sense that one side agrees while the other disagrees. If Walmart responded by ceasing all sales of guns, that would "further fuel the flames" too.

I think people get so caught up in these issues that they often forget that their personal opinions are not synonymous with actual facts. Both sides want the same thing, but they have different solutions, and that's what's ultimately causing us to get nowhere. Instead holding fast to their own opinions and refusing to budge, I'd rather see people be more open to negotiating. The end result might not make either side happy, but something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom