• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
don't forget that lunatic difficulty is coming out in the next few months
also infernal difficulty if datamines are to be believed
you know, in case you hate yourself
>infernal
we out here suffering now, boys

have to wait until 2020 to do all the DLC stuff though, big sad

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Morning, guys. Yesterday was my last day of job training, and i'm very glad of it. Most of the work I did was packaging utensils & condiment packets for Lizard's Thicket (anyone else here ever ate there?) along with some minor time with moving coffee cans into stacks.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why does Raphael look like Mozgus from Berserk?

1565437366060.png 1565437394875.png

Am I the only one who's seeing this?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I think Impidimp is perfect and has secured a spot on my team, my favorite Galar Pokémon, and my favorite Pokémon period.
Obviously it's your favorite Galar mon, but it's way too early to call it your all-time favorite Pokemon. Especially without knowing its moves or Abilities.

Noipoi

Howdy!

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I meant one of my favorite Pokémon lol

Noivern and Poipole are still #1
I guess that explains the origins of your username.

My favorite Pokémon is Blaziken. Torchic was my starter in Ruby, my first Pokémon game, and it’s stuck with me since. I related to the game because I had just moved to New Jersey right before my 6th birthday, when I got the game, just like how the player moves to Hoenn at the very beginning.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Blue lions all the way.

On the topic of supports, all the ones I have so far are really great. I think they might actually be some of my favorites in the series. The writing and voice acting is great and really sells everything
Still early in Blue Lions myself, but there is one thing that I find superior in this route compared to the others.

The early battles involving Lonato, Miklan, and Gilbert have absolutely nothing to do with the characters in the other two houses. But with the Blue Lions, there's just a sliver extra weight behind what's happening that makes it all more meaningful. It's not a huge thing, to be sure, but it's just better in my eyes. Makes the early battles seem less disconnected from us.

It's my second New Game + run, and my Saint Statues are already maxed out, my professor has been maxed, and I've recruited everyone except Ferdinand who is being stubborn. This playthrough has been nutty so far lol. Maybe I'll use renown later on for some skill levels? I don't know. Seems unnecessary.

Not sure I'll have the motivation to actually go for the Church Route after this. My mind is split 50/50 on it. If I could just skip the first half of the game I'd gladly do it, but replaying content four times, especially having used everyone already, just seems kinda painful. Maybe I can put it on normal, auto the instructions and battles, and don't worry about quests and motivation.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What do you guys think of another Sonic rep in smash? Tbh as popular as Sonic is i'm surprised there's only one playable character in smash.
Honestly. And people are gonna hate me for bringing it up. But I feel like having multiple characters from the same third party franchise is against the rules. Echo fighters are an exception, but they only half count to begin with. But as for completely unique characters, it’s one per third party franchise.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Honestly. And people are gonna hate me for bringing it up. But I feel like having multiple characters from the same third party franchise is against the rules. Echo fighters are an exception, but they only half count to begin with. But as for completely unique characters, it’s one per third party franchise.
That's not a rule, but it does seem that Sakurai favours bringing in a new universe when he can.

But I am sure he would double dip if he and/or Nintendo wanted to. I don't see them doing that in the near future.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Still early in Blue Lions myself, but there is one thing that I find superior in this route compared to the others.

The early battles involving Lonato, Miklan, and Gilbert have absolutely nothing to do with the characters in the other two houses. But with the Blue Lions, there's just a sliver extra weight behind what's happening that makes it all more meaningful. It's not a huge thing, to be sure, but it's just better in my eyes. Makes the early battles seem less disconnected from us.

It's my second New Game + run, and my Saint Statues are already maxed out, my professor has been maxed, and I've recruited everyone except Ferdinand who is being stubborn. This playthrough has been nutty so far lol. Maybe I'll use renown later on for some skill levels? I don't know. Seems unnecessary.

Not sure I'll have the motivation to actually go for the Church Route after this. My mind is split 50/50 on it. If I could just skip the first half of the game I'd gladly do it, but replaying content four times, especially having used everyone already, just seems kinda painful. Maybe I can put it on normal, auto the instructions and battles, and don't worry about quests and motivation.
I'd argue that the Miklan fight specifically is pretty influential for all three paths.

For Dimitri, there's of course the fact that Miklan is Sylvain's brother.

For Edelgard, the situation and what transpires fits in with her view of how horrific the crest system is.

For Claude, it involves the use of a Holy Relic, something he has a major interest in.

The others don't have as intimate a connection to Miklan as Dimitri and Sylvain do, but I definitely wouldn't say they're completely disconnected either.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly I'd do what I'm doing right now and wait for all of the DLC to come out before I do another crazy playthrough. I'll probably do a second playthrough with Blue Lions on Hard just cause, but I want to wait before I do a Lunatic Black Eagles run with everything since it's supposedly more story based.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Finished the cheesy Wild Cats cartoon. It had some fun stuff about it. Though obviously the animation was pretty cheap compared to the DC and Marvel stuff at the time. Grifter is still the coolest looking dude of the bunch.

Helspont got robbed at the end though. How does a dude attain ultimate power only to have one spaceship blow up and end his whole career? I guess it really do be like that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just found out the Rocko’s Modern Life movie came out on Netflix. And it also apparently has a prominent trans storyline.

I am watching this movie.
Just finished the movie. I kind of want to go back and watch the show now. I don’t really have a connection with Rocko. But this special was really really good.

That would majorly suck if it was an actual rule

Chun-Li and Tails are iconic characters and them being restricted by such a rule would be a shame
I mean. Yeah. It kind of does. But that’s what Capcom and SEGA crossover games are for. It’s all about balance.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But that’s what Capcom and SEGA crossover games are for.
no it isnt

It’s all about balance.
no it isnt but now i get to say it again

crossover games shouldnt be a substitute reason for smash

otherwise we'd already throw phoenix wright out the window. why play as him? we can play mahvel instead. that's what capcom crossover games are for. :secretkpop:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay, so Rob Liefield's Young Bloods were supposed to have an animated kid series. The art was a step up from Liefield's I guess, but it would be way too weird to have Chapel in a kid's cartoon. Way weirder than Wolverine, Carnage or Deathstroke.

Cause Chapel was the dude who betrayed Al Simmons and burned him alive before he became Spawn. And he would bang chicks knowing he had HIV or something.

He did show up in Spawn's cartoon, and proceed to get shook at Spawn popping up.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'll never understand why people make up Smash rules, as if they're a member of the development team and have information that other people don't. Just because a certain type of character hasn't been in the series doesn't mean there's a rule against them, it just means they haven't happened yet. To my knowledge the only rule like that Sakurai has ever acknowledged being true was about characters who don't originate from a game.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'll never understand why people make up Smash rules, as if they're a member of the development team and have information that other people don't. Just because a certain type of character hasn't been in the series doesn't mean there's a rule against them, it just means they haven't happened yet. To my knowledge the only rule like that Sakurai has ever acknowledged being true was about characters who don't originate from a game.
I mean. I create rules because I like to create rosters. Outside of predicting the existing ones. And you can’t do that without rules. Otherwise your own personal bias influences it too much and it becomes un-enjoyable and unbelievable. I set that rule because A) I noticed a pattern in the official rosters and B) to stop myself from overloading it with Metal Gear and Fighting game characters. For all we know, Sakurai might have a similar thing. He might have a set of guidelines because he knows that people won’t like it if he just does whatever he wants. Sure, he might not. But we don’t know either way. And even if he does, we don’t know what those rules are.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean. I create rules because I like to create rosters. Outside of predicting the existing ones. And you can’t do that without rules. Otherwise your own personal bias influences it too much and it becomes un-enjoyable and unbelievable. I set that rule because A) I noticed a pattern in the official rosters and B) to stop myself from overloading it with Metal Gear and Fighting game characters. For all we know, Sakurai might have a similar thing. He might have a set of guidelines because he knows that people won’t like it if he just does whatever he wants. Sure, he might not. But we don’t know either way. And even if he does, we don’t know what those rules are.
So your solution to not being biased is to self-insert yourself in Sakurai's shoes, replacing how he works with how you think he should work in your and only your perspective? And in doing so replacing bias for characters with bias for methodology?

That's cray cray. :186:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just finished the movie. I kind of want to go back and watch the show now. I don’t really have a connection with Rocko. But this special was really really good.

I mean. Yeah. It kind of does. But that’s what Capcom and SEGA crossover games are for. It’s all about balance.
If Smash games were balanced roster-wise we'd see a similar amount of characters per series, but that isn't the case. It's not like Punch-Out!! gets 4 characters because Metroid does. Or Xenoblade 7 characters because Fire Emblem has that many.

The third party balance was already disturbed in Smash 4, in adding both Ryu and Bayonetta, while neither Namco or Square got a 2nd character in that game. And Ultimate goes even further with Ken, Joker and 3 Konami characters that weren't in 4. Even if you don't count echoes as "real" characters, what's to stop a later title adding Tails or Knuckles as an Echo for Sonic? Or Akuma as yet another for Ryu? Protoman or Bass for Mega Man? Even Jeanne for Bayonetta?

Each game's taken some stretches for what's pretty conceivable for being added to the roster. Third parties with Snake in Brawl. Multiple characters from the same third party company with Mega Man/Ryu and Sonic/Bayonetta. Ridley happening at all. Multiple characters in the same third party series with Simon/Richter. Chrom showing up in someone else's Super, while still being fully playable on his own. And even another console maker's character with Banjo. Does this mean Chun-Li, Mega Man X or Tails are locked? No. Absolutely not. They still have a snowball's chance in hell, at least in this game. To say it's unlikely is more than reasonable. To say that it's impossible or "unfair" is a bit shortsighted. Not to mention kind of undercuts the value of the character in and of themselves.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just realized that Detective Pikachu has tiny little fangs. That's so adorable.
which pokemon have teeth and which ones dont

:039: has teeth, right? i mean it has to, right? im serious, i seriously dont know but i dont think i want to know.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So your solution to not being biased is to self-insert yourself in Sakurai's shoes, replacing how he works with how you think he should work in your and only your perspective? And in doing so replacing bias for characters with bias for methodology?

That's cray cray. :186:
That’s not what I’m doing at all! We have no idea how he works. So we have to go by what we can get from the actual rosters he has made. I’m not just making stuff up. But like it or not, he can’t jyst do whatever he wants and neither can I.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There’s nothing that says 3rd parties need to be balanced by company. There’s no evidence to suggest that the dev team thought of that, but rather that it was negligible from the beginning.

Snake and Sonic were added in Brawl, 1 for each company. Snake was added because Kohima asked, Sonic because fan demand. It had nothing to do with making sure Konami and SEGA were even.

Wii U/3DS kept Sonic, added Mega Man and Pac-Man for base roster. This was not in order to balance, but because Mega Man was highly requested, and Namco was helping with the game (Pac-Man is also mf’ing Pac-Man). DLC added Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta, which resulted in Capcom having 2, SEGA having 2, and Namco have 1 alongside Square Enix. 3rd party companies aren’t even.

Ultimate adds Snake, Simon, Ken and Richter to base roster. Konami now is tied with Capcom for 3. SEGA has 3 once Joker is added. Square Enix has 2 with Hero. Microsoft has 1 with Banjo. Namco has 1 with Pac-Man.

Not only is it literally impossible for all 3rd parties to be balanced through roster representation, I’d argue it was never a consideration beyond, “We’re not picking 8 Capcom characters because that’s not the point.” But 4 is completely different from 8.

They aren’t going to not add a character from Resident Evil because Square Enix, Microsoft, and Namco aren’t at the same level as SEGA, Konami, or Capcom. It comes down to what the series brings to Smash, not how many slots are on the CSS.

Just pointing this out is all. I don’t think it matters much. If it did, it would already be balanced.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I personally think he should be able to just do whatever he wants. If he wanted to add 5 more Fire Emblem characters to the next game, then I'd be all for it because it's his vision and he knows what he's doing.

As for Tails specifically, Sonic has been in 3 games now, I think the series deserves some more representation. And I think there's a difference between giving a third party a second or even third character and just dropping a game's entire cast into the roster. So as long as you aren't doing that with your fan rosters, go crazy. It's all for fun anyway.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
which pokemon have teeth and which ones dont

:039: has teeth, right? i mean it has to, right? im serious, i seriously dont know but i dont think i want to know.
The only pictures of Jigglypuff with teeth I found were mostly generic creepy pasta stuff. Which makes it less cursed than I was hoping for by trying too hard.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think there is an important distinction between saying a character is unlikely because of a "rule", and not happening. I think assist trophies not becoming playable is a silly fan rule--but I also admit that it makes them far more unlikely than similar characters who aren't one. The only officially stated rule is that they have to originate in a video game, and it was also officially stated that characters without a future are unlikely. But there have been times when a character has officially been stated not to work, only to appear in the next game--so even that's not set in stone.

To me it's not pretending to be a developer, and more trying to accurately set expectations--but some take it too far by saying it's not happening, or never going to happen, because of a silly fan rule, and that is what I don't understand.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But like it or not, he can’t jyst do whatever he wants and neither can I.
He certainly can do whatever he wants, at least on a 1st party level. Even on 3rd parties, he's pretty flexible and does as much as he can when he's given a certain property or a certain company's limits. He can do 1, 2, **** it man, give him 4 Dragon Quest characters.

:snake: He's prone to being persuaded by others on who or what to add as well. :4corrin:

It's rare, but it happens. All rosters are subjective, some people agree with certain ideas and some don't. I certainly wouldn't be a favorable creator if I did things my way, and the same goes vice versa.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
He certainly can do whatever he wants, at least on a 1st party level. Even on 3rd parties, he's pretty flexible and does as much as he can when he's given a certain property or a certain company's limits. He can do 1, 2, **** it man, give him 4 Dragon Quest characters.

:snake: He's prone to being persuaded by others on who or what to add as well. :4corrin:

It's rare, but it happens. All rosters are subjective, some people agree with certain ideas and some don't. I certainly wouldn't be a favorable creator if I did things my way, and the same goes vice versa.
Okay. Now your just confusing me. Because that’s exactly why I set rules in the first place. Because if I just did whatever I wanted it would be bad.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think there is an important distinction between saying a character is unlikely because of a "rule", and not happening. I think assist trophies not becoming playable is a silly fan rule--but I also admit that it makes them far more unlikely than similar characters who aren't one. The only officially stated rule is that they have to originate in a video game, and it was also officially stated that characters without a future are unlikely. But there have been times when a character has officially been stated not to work, only to appear in the next game--so even that's not set in stone.

To me it's not pretending to be a developer, and more trying to accurately set expectations--but some take it too far by saying it's not happening, or never going to happen, because of a silly fan rule, and that is what I don't understand.
I agree. There's a decent chance a good chunk of characters people would genuinely want won't happen this time around either due to Spirits(if they matter as much as trophies, we might have an exception or two.) Or said character is an Assist. Or a Boss. Or a Stage Cameo.

I think we should temper expectations, but not be too shook to show support for a character despite being seemingly impossible. It did get us quite a few popular characters like Ridley and Banjo. Before Ultimate, no one thought a character who showed up in a Final Smash could be playable, and while an Echo, that's exactly what Chrom is. Before you know it, some other supposed rule will get broken.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay. Now your just confusing me. Because that’s exactly why I set rules in the first place. Because if I just did whatever I wanted it would be bad.
I'm trying to say you can't predict Sakurai's style and method of constructing his roster. The man just does what he wants, but there's no way we can decipher his thinking in how he chooses characters. Balancing 3rd party companies on some arbitrary equality value is definitely not one of them.

Or maybe I'm being crazy because I haven't slept for about 27 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom