• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I cant wait for this swsh to sell well and people that find it ****ty will be called entitled

"DoNt EnFOrcE CRuNCH"
"GAmeFReaK IS TrYinG ThEiR BeST"

Going the Digimon route where you have you a few selected Pokemon for one game every few years is fine and expected since its getting too big to put them all

But to give us Bethesda level animation that looks worse than what the stadium games did (a 64 game), the same ****ing models they used for 7 years, a poor excuse of a gimmick, and falsely advertising the game as "the game for long term fans" despite being the complete opposite of what they want. Thats not crunch, thats just poor managing by the multi million dollar pokemon company and gamefreak. Its fair to call them out on this.

There is no justification for GF's ****tery

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But to give us Bethesda level animation that looks worse than what the stadium games did (a 64 game), the same ****ing models they used for 7 years, a poor excuse of a gimmick, and falsely advertising the game as "the game for long term fans" despite being the complete opposite of what they want. Thats not crunch, thats just poor managing by the multi million dollar pokemon company and gamefreak. Its fair to call them out on this.

Someone please explain to me what the false advertising mentioned here is because I don't understand where all the Pokemon hate spawned from.

It just looks like another Pokemon game to me. I'm not sure what people were expecting that hasn't met expectations for what you've been buying for the last couple decades.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I cant wait for this swsh to sell well and people that find it ****ty will be called entitled

"DoNt EnFOrcE CRuNCH"

Going the Digimon route where you have you a few selected Pokemon for one game every few years is fine and expected since its getting too big to put them all

There's also how they're charging people 50 bucks for Mew. They confirmed that it's 50 bucks for 1 Mew. Think of the poor sods who have to enforce this limit on a paywall you heartless monsters they have families too you knoe

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, even outside the whole home debacle, Game Freak shouldn't make a "main" Pokemon game very year.
They should do back to getting other studios to make spin-offs to carry on the brand recognition in gap years.

Pokemon Snap, Pinball, Ranger, Pikachu's something or other.
We're fast approaching a point where only Mario can have spin-off games and all other series have mobile games.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, even outside the whole home debacle, Game Freak shouldn't make a "main" Pokemon game very year.
They should do back to getting other studios to make spin-offs to carry on the brand recognition in gap years.

We're fast approaching a point where only Mario can have spin-off games and all other series have mobile games.
I'd honestly love a new, ya know

Mystery Dungeon

It's been what, 5 years since the last?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Someone please explain to me what the false advertising mentioned here is because I don't understand where all the Pokemon hate spawned from.

It just looks like another Pokemon game to me. I'm not sure what people were expecting that hasn't met expectations for what you've been buying for the last couple decades.
They're cutting a large amount of Pokemon, not 'making them unavailable' but outright removing them. Pokemom games barely have standards as the main series has used the same formula for every game since Red and Blue and they're going beneath the one standard they have. Also there's paywalls of 50 bucks to get one single Mew. Pokemon games release every year and they just spew games out and people are pissed that the most successful franchise on the planet is saying "We can't put in more effort!"

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

They're gonna go right into another game next year
Im sure of it

the idea of gamefreak balancing the cycle of games so your pokebro gets implemented at least once in a game every 3 years is insane and unlikely

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

Lets go Pikachu and Eevee were aimed at the casual audience. SwoShi were marketed as "for the long time fan" which was widely interpreted as "for the hardcore fan".

The thing is that the new gimmick in Dynamaxing is not very Competitive but Noone really minded because it looks kinda cool and the rest of the game looks neat.

Then came the news that many Pokémon are not in the game and everyone just started searching for reasons to piss on it.

I just piss on it for the missing Pokémon. The rest looks really good

Mystery Dungeon

Explorers of Sky released in 2009

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Mystery Dungeon

19FDA3E6-9F3C-4D2E-AC51-3FAA3BA47C3A.jpeg

I got to say that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness is my all time favorite Pokémon game, even over the mainline games. Would love another game like that or at least a game set in the Intelligent Pokémon world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I got to say that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness is my all time favorite Pokémon game, even over the mainline games.
Explorers of Sky for me, but Just because it's An upgraded of Darkness. That was already better than any mainline game and these madpeople went and improved it!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Like was said, Nintendo/Game Freak said that Sword & Shield will ONLY allow you to transfer Pokémon from the 3DS games that are part of the Galar PokéDex..this means that if you can not obtain them in Sword & Shield to begin with then you can not transfer them from the old games into Sword & Shield.
For example, if, say, Gardevoir is not able to be obtained in Sword & Shield and you, like me, have a Gardevoir that you've painstakingly raised since Pokémon Sapphire and you want to transfer it to Sword or Shield, you can not..and that is really, really crappy. They have high res models for all the Pokémon due to the 3DS games (they have surprisingly high-res textures) and Pokémon Go, and they are using the same animations they've been using for years, and they've particularly done it this way in order to make their workload easier, so I can not see why they have this issue.
Definitely killed a lot of my hype for Sword & Shield..

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I know I’m late, but I’ll say it anyway.

BANJO-KAZOOIE IN SMASH IS SO GOD DAMN HYPE! :bluejump:

Banjo-Kazooie was a childhood game of mine, and is one of my all time favorites, it makes me so happy to see them playable in Smash. This is where they belong!
It’s also really surreal finally seeing them here lol, for the longest time I thought it would never happen. I only started taking the idea seriously half a year ago.

The Dragon Quest Heroes are great additions as well. I’m not that big of a DQ fan, but I realize it’s a very important franchise, and it being represented in Smash is well deserved, so I’m glad they are here. I like the MP gimmick and the variety of spells they have.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Masuda said they’re currently undecided on whether or not they’ll patch the rest of the Pokémon in at a later date

So there’s like, a sliver of a chance this’ll turn out okay

He also said Sword & Shield will pass 1,000 Pokémon so that’s cool
This is actually great news.

If they're undecided, that means it's possible to convince them to do it. Let's make sure our voices are - politely - heard.

Can't put enough emphasis on "politely". We don't want to come across as entitled for wanting improvement.

"DoNt EnFOrcE CRuNCH"

There's also how they're charging people 50 bucks for Mew. They confirmed that it's 50 bucks for 1 Mew. Think of the poor sods who have to enforce this limit on a paywall you heartless monsters they have families too you knoe
Remember the thread getting locked earlier?

Let's not start this again. You guys are not looking like the good guys here with this tone.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Never got Explorers of Sky, what exactly did they change or add compared to the originals?
They added some Pokémon, phanpy, riolu, vulpix and shinx are now starters too, made the menuing easier, added a very extensive story about Shaymin with a really cool Dungeon to the post Dialga-Pre Darkrai story, added a cafe where you could hang out with your team, get missions and mix gummies into drinks for hightened effects and added a bunch of new dungeons for post-game legendary Pokémon (articuno, Heatran, Rayquaza, kyogre, mee, Giratina and Suicune, Iirc) and a Dungeon around Arceus.

But most importantly, they created a bunch of "Special Episodes" where you play a mini-campaign as another character.

One where you play as Igglybuff (Wigglytuffs backstory)
One where you play as Bidoof in his backstory
One that Explorer Sunfloras story
One that gives team Charms backstory
Where you play as Both of them in the future after the battle in the Hidden Land. It has a Redemption arc for Dusknoir and it's freaking amazing

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is actually great news.

If they're undecided, that means it's possible to convince them to do it. Let's make sure our voices are - politely - heard.

Emphasis on politely. We don't want to come across as a bunch of entitled babies.

Remember the thread getting locked earlier?

Let's not start this again. You guys are not looking like the good guys here with this tone.
It got locked because Pokemon fans worldwide are rightfully pissed? Lmao

Shroob

Sup?
It got locked because people were being aggressive with each other, not just with Gamefreak.
I think the discussion can be handled healthy, as long as people are being civil.

To be perfectly blunt, a lot of people in the "It's okay with me" camp were throwing around the "You're being entitled" argument without directly saying it.

If both sides could actually see eye to eye and understand where one another is coming from without resorting to that kind of stuff, it could be a healthy and productive discussion.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
They added some Pokémon, phanpy, riolu, vulpix and shinx are now starters too, made the menuing easier, added a very extensive story about Shaymin with a really cool Dungeon to the post Dialga-Pre Darkrai story, added a cafe where you could hang out with your team, get missions and mix gummies into drinks for hightened effects and added a bunch of new dungeons for post-game legendary Pokémon (articuno, Heatran, Rayquaza, kyogre, mee, Giratina and Suicune, Iirc) and a Dungeon around Arceus.

But most importantly, they created a bunch of "Special Episodes" where you play a mini-campaign as another character.

One where you play as Igglybuff (Wigglytuffs backstory)
One where you play as Bidoof in his backstory
One that Explorer Sunfloras story
One that gives team Charms backstory
Where you play as Both of them in the future after the battle in the Hidden Land. It has a Redemption arc for Dusknoir and it's freaking amazing
That’s actually more extensive than I thought it was going to be, I’ve been wanting to play another mystery dungeon game might need to buy it soon.

Also Phanpy is one of my favorite Pokémon, really want do a play through with him:231:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I think the discussion can be handled healthy, as long as people are being civil.

To be perfectly blunt, a lot of people in the "It's okay with me" camp were throwing around the "You're being entitled" argument without directly saying it.

If both sides could actually see eye to eye and understand where one another is coming from without resorting to that kind of stuff, it could be a healthy and productive discussion.
The thing here is that mutual understanding is probably not happening.

The "gamefreak is evil" camp Will see anyone who sides with gamefreak as evil

The "You guys shouldn't ask so much" camp have litterally one argument and it's that our opinion is wrong.

This is not a discussion, since neither camp ever tried to reason to begin with.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Oh I'm totally up for discussing it if we keep it civil.

I'm just not appreciating some people's attitudes about it.
The thing here is that mutual understanding is probably not happening.

The "gamefreak is evil" camp Will see anyone who sides with gamefreak as evil

The "You guys shouldn't ask so much" camp have litterally one argument and it's that our opinion is wrong.

This is not a discussion, since neither camp ever tried to reason to begin with.
I'm in the "this is unfortunate and I'd definitely liked to see it fixed, but I can also sort of see why it's happening" camp.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh I'm totally up for discussing it if we keep it civil.

I'm just not appreciating some people's attitudes about it.

I'm in the "this is unfortunate and I'd definitely liked to see it fixed, but I can also sort of see why it's happening" camp.
Can I join that camp? I like to be neutral on this kind of discussion, and I heard that this camp had cookies too!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Sorry, Snorlax already at all of our cookies.

But we still have some ketchup left.
Doh, I Missed! :warioc:

Guess I drink some water then, because tbh, I ain't a fan of ketchup. :v

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I’m curious about how much work it is to port a single Pokémon.

I’d imagine that there’s some place where they could optimize this process, like writing scripts to automatically copy model and animation data into the new engine so that it doesn’t require manual work, if they’re not already doing that. Once they have sufficiently good textures and stuff, which they probably would need to make manually, they should never have to go through the full work of manually porting over the old Pokémon ever again. It might be a bit repetitive seeing the same models and animations forever, but it still probably is the only way this can work in the long run...

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
"HIGH QUALITY ANIMATION" - Junichi Masuda at E3 (Man who works at Multi Million Dollar Company that cant animate a bird flapping its wings)
Multi Millions is just what Pokemon makes off the anime. The games are worth 17 billion so it'd be more accurate to say Gamefreak is a multi billion dollar company

I know this is mainly a Nintendo forum, but I’ve always wondered what PC games do y’all play, if any?
Warframe and Elite Dangerous... Mostly Warframe (I used to play modded Starbound, but it runs like crap)

I’m curious about how much work it is to port a single Pokémon.

I’d imagine that there’s some place where they could optimize this process, like writing scripts to automatically copy model and animation data into the new engine so that it doesn’t require manual work, if they’re not already doing that. Once they have sufficiently good textures and stuff, which they probably would need to make manually, they should never have to go through the full work of manually porting over the old Pokémon ever again. It might be a bit repetitive seeing the same models and animations forever, but it still probably is the only way this can work in the long run...
If my time browsing /r/pokemon is anything to go by, probably not a whole lot if the Pokemon in SwSh are basically just upscaled versions of the 3DS models, of which all 800+ managed to fit on to the 3DS and take up just over 4GB (half of the 3DS's memory). Then again, I don't know much about game development

D

Deleted member

Tbh, it’s a shame that someone like Tim Follin only worked on 4th party videogames most of the time.

I would have loved to see his blessed musical work getting love in Smash.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"HIGH QUALITY ANIMATION" - Junichi Masuda at E3 (Man who works at Multi Million Dollar Company that cant animate a bird flapping its wings)
Oh right, speaking of! I just remembered.
Sometimes seagulls can glide and soar for a long time. It seems like they almost “drift” along a beach while they look for their next snack. How do they do this? If the power does not come from flapping their wings, where does it come from?

The seagulls are taking advantage of upward movements of air called thermals. The seagulls are resting on currents of air that are moving upward. Many seagulls find these thermals and use them for the upward push they give. These seagulls are slowly gliding downward on a constantly rising current of air.

It may not be 100% realistic (seagulls still have to flap if they find a thermal), but Wingull gets a pass on that one. It's an intentional decision to animate them that way.

Edit: They didn't really flap their wings in Gen 5 either while other airborne pokemon did. Totally intentional.

I actually learned this little tidbit about Seagulls from an Animorphs book way back when. Who knew the trivia facts I learned from those books would come in handy one day?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So for the sake of calrification, Pokemon who aren't in the Galar Dex won't be trapped in Sun and Moon forever, but Game Freak still has a very early 00's attitude to patches (i.e. only for game breaking bugs
)

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
brown bear runs from the skies' only natural predator, c. 2019

1560412195397.png

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It kinda peeves me that it took something like the announcement that not every Pokémon is coming back before fans began criticizing the animation quality of the games. Let's Go was such a disappointment for me in that regard, with just 151 Pokémon (+ Meltan I guess) it was the perfect opportunity to update some of the animations, but they were still as stiff and motionless as in the 3DS games, a far cry away from the standard set by Pokémon Colosseum, a ****ing spin-off Gamecube game.

I'm happy that it's at least being criticized now, especially since that was the one good thing we could have gotten out of Pokémon being cut, but I wish the fanbase didn't need a breaking point before they began holding Game Freak up to any standards.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It kinda peeves me that it took something like the announcement that not every Pokémon is coming back before fans began criticizing the animation quality of the games. Let's Go was such a disappointment for me in that regard, with just 151 Pokémon (+ Meltan I guess) it was the perfect opportunity to update some of the animations, but they were still as stiff and motionless as in the 3DS games, a far cry away from the standard set by Pokémon Colosseum, a ****ing spin-off Gamecube game.

I'm happy that it's at least being criticized now, especially since that was the one good thing we could have gotten out of Pokémon being cut, but I wish the fanbase didn't need a breaking point before they began holding Game Freak up to any standards.
Probably because a lot of us didn't find their animation to be all that bad in the first place. I recommend this video from New Frame + if you want to see an analysis on it by an actual animator.

And to be fair, that spin off title was one that had 3D animation as its main appeal.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I never knew Smash had such a deep story, requiring you to know every small detail from each game.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom