• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Welcome to the club.
I freaked out when a fifth Smash game was first teased because to me, it didn't mean "woo, another Smash game"; it meant "oh my god, now all the character beggars are going to go to jihad against each other AGAIN."
Frankly, what I love about Smash now those days isn't even the gameplay itself. (I haven't played it in a while to be real with ya), but just discover new franchise & character I know little or nothing of.

Like Terry inclusion made me really care about SNK & their history, I knew them before, but after Terry, I went full on geek mode and searched as much information I could.

That, and I love fun fanart & memes of character from different franchise interacting with each other in cool/sweet/funny way. Like Sans being too lazy to get into Smash itself so he give a random Mii his clothes, or the Byleths hugging Kirby or somethin', it's just so wholesome!

And keep in mind, none of the character I noted here are anywhere close at my top 5 or 10 of characters I want in Smash (one day, Malos, one day) , and yet I'm still really happy with what we got.

Brief, all to say, after a time, you gotta enjoy the little thing you have instead of wishing for more.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Also people kinda of forget that Three Houses carried the switch this year.

Yes Smash and it’s DLC we’re big but besides that there wasn’t much going on until Three Houses. And smash only just barely makes the window for this year outside of DLC.

So if you don’t count that because even sakurai didn’t really think to count it; Three Houses was 50 percent of the big game this year with the other being Pokémon.

The powered the switch through the later half of the year. So it’s really not a shock they added a three houses rep.
Actually, Luigi's Mansion was a pretty big release as well. A bunch of people were playing it and talking about it for weeks, and it sold crazy well.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
No side is better then the other. Thinking that just adds to the toxicity. Either we’re both bears or we’re both jabronies.
One side is actively harassing Byleth's voice actors, throwing 40 minute long temper tantrums, harassing Sakurai and calling for him to be fired.
The other is mocking that side.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
First off, you can’t just say “Byleth is the perfect way to end the pass” that’s just as baseless, opinionated, and triggering a statement as “he’s the worst character you could pick”.
I kinda agree with you but I do see what might be the point there. They are there as a
And I’m sorry but just laying back and letting the game go to town on me is NOT how I want Smash to go. I admit I overreacted to Byleth and he’s not that bad a choice. But not having any sorts of hopes or expectations is boring. Yes, you will be disappointed if you didn’t get what you wanted
But that's not quite what was meant there. All they are saying is that people need to better moderate their hype. You can hope and expect. I did both for Dante and then I went just "oh" and zoned out for a moment during the moveset showcase because I wasn't that interested. Then I just got intrigued and tried to figure out what was the deal with this character from a game I had never played before.
And I could enjoy it because I knew not to place any character on a pedestal and say that it's them or nothing. The key is being optimistic of all possibilities.
And I will throw this out here. Yes, people who do g want fire emblem characters are overreacting, but that’s partly because a lot Fire Emblem fans are just such sore winners. “I got the character I want and anyone who does like them is a Winey man child, lol” is NOT a good look, and that kind of sentiment is why Smash fans get so extreme. Both sides are responsible for this controversy. Yes. Non-FE fans shouldn’t overreact like they are, but Fire Emblem fans shouldn’t be such... asses about it.
I believe we've been on the opposite sides of aggravation. You disliked them being in Smash and you saw that hoes mad thing as something against you. For me, I glance at the twitch chat during the reveal and see millions of people complain about generic Fire Emblem swordfighters. That was my "aww **** here we go again" moment and then next thing I know I hear people say how the character added nothing to the game and that no one wanted them there. I saw a lot more complaints than defenders and my blood was boiling from the disgrace.
So I wouldn't blame fans, but I know why you would.
And finally, I just don’t like the wording of “you get your Ridley’s and K. Rools and Banjos, play with them for a week, and then go back to Samus and Fox”. That’s just uncalled for. It implies that adding those highly requested characters was somehow a BAD thing. Which leads people to fill in the gaps of who would have been “better” picks. And it’s treating Sakurai like some starving artist that we physically beat until he gives us everything we want.
But I know for a fact that a lot of people are hyped for new things and then forget about them when the next new thing comes around. Yes sometimes the character just is so weak that not everyone can enjoy them even among fans, but people also love seeing new things. Maybe that's just how things are, but people are capable of looking back at old good things and realising again why they enjoyed them.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And while we are discussing things like the validity of how common a guess is for Byletth.

I’ll remind everyone this l. From October, the three front runners became Kos-MOs, Resident Evil( till spirits came), Arle and Dante.

There were some predictions towards three houses sure, but one problem. Everyone one of them was it’s edelgard no one else. Outside a select few thinking each lord could be playable ala Pokémon trainer.

To further prove this, it’s been a few days and no one has found any archive out of the hundreds of 4chan “leaks” that had Byletth. That’s saying something when there’s usually 2 or 3 posts predicting the character and other content. So the fact that not even actual 4chan leaks or the fake nonsense on there put Byletth in any of them, is saying something.

That makes the crash “leaker” a lot more validated imo for selecting a character from the game that not a single other rumor called. Could be a lucky guess but I’m starting to thinking the account is legit and I think the theories we’ve been crafting for a direct when Byleth releases might actually come to fruition.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually, Luigi's Mansion was a pretty big release as well. A bunch of people were playing it and talking about it for weeks, and it sold crazy well.
Lol I forgot that even came out this year with how Big Pokémon and Three Houses were.

But yes this is true.i can’t seem to find full sales figures for it, but it was definitely big at the time of release

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Maybe, just maybe... you should judge games as they are, not based on how well they hold up compared to imaginary sequels.
And there you go missing the point I was trying to make about Evergreen rosters. Lesson learned. If you care about the roster in any way and aren’t just comfortable lying back and letting it have its way with you, your a bad fan who just isn’t giving games the chance they deserve and your opinions should be disregarded.

Look. This discussion is only going to make people angry and fight. So how about we just drop it. We can still talk about Byleth. But let’s stop bringing up PapaGenos or twitter or entitlement and all that stuff because it’s only gonna get people to fight.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yes. Non-FE fans shouldn’t overreact like they are, but Fire Emblem fans shouldn’t be such... asses about it.
We are only asses to those who are asses to us. I use Hoes Mad against people who are being asses, not to people who are just disappointed

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I can’t say I’ve seen a single ass of a FE fan that wasn’t heavily provoked before hand. Most of them have just been happy and chill.

And no Hoes Mad does not count as being an ass because it’s literally a joke

osby

Smash Obsessed
And there you go missing the point I was trying to make about Evergreen rosters. Lesson learned. If you care about the roster in any way and aren’t just comfortable lying back and letting it have its way with you, your a bad fan who just isn’t giving games the chance they deserve and your opinions should be disregarded.
You're turning my point into a hyperbole and adding unnecessary sexual overtones.

You can be displeased with the roster, but you just seem against any new characters and not very well informed about the games/characters/fanbases you speak about. Maybe don't judge stuff too harshly if you can't take people arguing back?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I can’t say I’ve seen a single ass of a FE fan that wasn’t heavily provoked before hand. Most of them have just been happy and chill.

And no Hoes Mad does not count as being an ass because it’s literally a joke
Maybe I just got in at a bad time then. Because I joined in Smash 4. And I was disappointed with Corrin as a lot of people were. And this culture was already there. And I know that I probably wouldn’t have become as extreme if the environment I entered wasn’t already there. Heck, the debates were just as bad and just as toxic in the banjo vs Steve wars.

Also, you can tell a joke and still be an ass, just look at Ricky Gervais. Intent does not absolve you from consequences.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Maybe I just got in at a bad time then. Because I joined in Smash 4. And I was disappointed with Corrin as a lot of people were. And this culture was already there.
people were always asses to the FE communityfor ir being "hurr durr anime". If you should yell at anyone, its the ones the light the match of hostility toward the FE fans, not the FE fans

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You're turning my point into a hyperbole and adding unnecessary sexual overtones.

You can be displeased with the roster, but you just seem against any new characters and not very well informed about the games/characters/fanbases you speak about. Maybe don't judge stuff too harshly if you can't take people arguing back?
Look. All I’m saying is that when we don’t know how well a character will be remembered in 5-7 years then we shouldn’t jump the gun at adding them to smash. I’m not saying that they’re bad characters. I’m not saying they’re from bad games. I’m not saying they aren’t fun to play. All I’m saying is it makes the roster less evergreen.

people were always asses to the FE community. If you should yell at anyone, its the ones the light the match of hostility tword the FE fans, not the FE fans
Hard to tell who lit the match when you walk in on a raging fire. And at that point, does it really even matter? Shouldn’t we be doing everything we can to extinguish it instead of continuously dumping in more lighter fluid?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There were some predictions towards three houses sure, but one problem. Everyone one of them was it’s edelgard no one else. Outside a select few thinking each lord could be playable ala Pokémon trainer.

To further prove this, it’s been a few days and no one has found any archive out of the hundreds of 4chan “leaks” that had Byletth. That’s saying something when there’s usually 2 or 3 posts predicting the character and other content. So the fact that not even actual 4chan leaks or the fake nonsense on there put Byletth in any of them, is saying something.

That makes the crash “leaker” a lot more validated imo for selecting a character from the game that not a single other rumor called. Could be a lucky guess but I’m starting to thinking the account is legit and I think the theories we’ve been crafting for a direct when Byleth releases might actually come to fruition.
I can't speak for leaks, but you're heavily underselling Byleth if you think they had no discussion as the possible TH rep. On here and the Newcomers thread they definitely popped up as options since they were the main character of the game and had a unique weapon in the whip sword, and even on other sites like ResetERA I saw them mentioned multiple times. Edelgard was definitely the popular choice of the TH rep I won't deny, but she wasn't the only choice and many did consider that Byleth could be playable over her.

Regardless, just because someone predicts something right doesn't mean that they knew something. Remember that 4chan post that got the four costumes of Hero right and ended up being someone's personal wishlist? Or the one that got Terry right and said Ryu would be next? Both of those got something right, but nothing came from their other predictions and ultimately they just were lucky guesses. This guy getting Byleth right doesn't mean that they definitely know something.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also, you can tell a joke and still be an ass, just look at Ricky Gervais. Intent does not absolve you from consequences.
Are you really comparing people making light of Smash fans getting upset over a video game character to the most obnoxious, bigoted sack of **** "comedian" on the planet

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Are you really comparing people making light of Smash fans getting upset over a video game character to the most obnoxious, bigoted sack of **** "comedian" on the planet
All I’m saying is that you can’t make a mean joke and not expect the people it’s about to be upset. When you do something to make someone angry, their reaction is your fault, not theirs. You shouldn’t have poked the bear.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I can't speak for leaks, but you're heavily underselling Byleth if you think they had no discussion as the possible TH rep. On here and the Newcomers thread they definitely popped up as options since they were the main character of the game and had a unique weapon in the whip sword, and even on other sites like ResetERA I saw them mentioned multiple times. Edelgard was definitely the popular choice of the TH rep I won't deny, but she wasn't the only choice and many did consider that Byleth could be playable over her.

Regardless, just because someone predicts something right doesn't mean that they knew something. Remember that 4chan post that got the four costumes of Hero right and ended up being someone's personal wishlist? Or the one that got Terry right and said Ryu would be next? Both of those got something right, but nothing came from their other predictions and ultimately they just were lucky guesses. This guy getting Byleth right doesn't mean that they definitely know something.
There was definitely discussion for Byleth as I said. But random people speculating doesn’t mean much. The fact is that no actual “leak” tried to “leak” Byleth shows that he was still pretty slept on by leakers and anyone trying to claim to be a leaker. Also I’m not basing the theory of them being right on just that. The other predictions or leaks on that page have been right as well.

Obviously it’s not fully confirmed but after being in smash leak speculation for like 5 years at this point, I’d wager it’s more likely real then not because it fits similarities in the statistical side of things. Just my gut feeling for now.

It can go either way though

osby

Smash Obsessed
All I’m saying is that you can’t make a mean joke and not expect the people it’s about to be upset. When you do something to make someone angry, their reaction is your fault, not theirs. You shouldn’t have poked the bear.
Spoiler: people can control their emotions. Provocation isn't an excuse for anything and everything.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Can we just drop it. Talk about Byleth, talk about how much you like three houses, talk about how cool his gameplay looks. But I think it’s in everyone’s best interest if the controversy surrounding it is soft banned from discussion.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This "gotcha" doesn't work nearly as well as you thought given the context lmao

D

Deleted member

Snake, I think you should quit while you’re ahead. You really aren’t making a good case here, and you’re jumping back and forth between different debates.

So uh, anyone want a cute cat video?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, I think you should quit while you’re ahead. You really aren’t making a good case here, and you’re jumping back and forth between different debates.

So uh, anyone want a cute cat video?
Don’t have to tell me twice. At this point I’d rather explain the plot of DC’s Final Crisis AND Kingdom Hearts to two separate people at once.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed about a newcomer. I don't think any rational person has said otherwise. It's when you then take that disappointment out on others and act as if you were entitled to anything, like a good amount of anti-Byleth people have been doing, that there is a problem. Nobody has ever said you have to like every Smash newcomer, you just shouldn't be an asshole about it.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Hey everybody! I’ve purposely been avoiding the Social Thread and the Newcomer Discussion Thread because I didn’t want to become involved in inevitable drama. So, I have returned a couple days after the Byleth reveal, and... we are still having disagreements? Why are we so intolerant of each other over a divisive character? Sure, some people like Byleth. Some people don’t. Why do we have to get into never ending arguments about why our opinion is superior? Sure, I haven’t played FE3H, and never called myself a Byleth supporter, but that’s okay! The character looks cool, Sakurai did a good job creating a unique moveset for a FE character, and I’m sure that there are people who are more happy than I am! Because of that, I can’t fault Sakurai, as this is his game to make, and not ours. I have paid for the Fighter Pass, and I am content with the way that it turned out. So please everyone, I’m just one member of the community, but we don’t need to argue about whether Byleth’s inclusion was good or bad; we all have our own opinion, and what will we get out of arguing? Get Byleth removed from the game with 0% supporters? Get Byleth universally liked with 100% supporters? None of these are realistic options, so I can’t see a reason why tolerance of other opinions is a bad idea.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Hey everybody! I’ve purposely been avoiding the Social Thread and the Newcomer Discussion Thread because I didn’t want to become involved in inevitable drama. So, I have returned a couple days after the Byleth reveal, and... we are still having disagreements? Why are we so intolerant of each other over a divisive character? Sure, some people like Byleth. Some people don’t. Why do we have to get into never ending arguments about why our opinion is superior? Sure, I haven’t played FE3H, and never called myself a Byleth supporter, but that’s okay! The character looks cool, Sakurai did a good job creating a unique moveset for a FE character, and I’m sure that there are people who are more happy than I am! Because of that, I can’t fault Sakurai, as this is his game to make, and not ours. I have paid for the Fighter Pass, and I am content with the way that it turned out. So please everyone, I’m just one member of the community, but we don’t need to argue about whether Byleth’s inclusion was good or bad; we all have our own opinion, and what will we get out of arguing? Get Byleth removed from the game with 0% supporters? Get Byleth universally liked with 100% supporters? None of these are realistic options, so I can’t see a reason why tolerance of other opinions is a bad idea.
I don't think we CAN drop it when people keep bringing it up.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
I think it's mostly been a nice conversation. Yeah some butting of heads but nothing personal or insulting I don't think. But I'm also well aware that not everyone likes these discussions, so I dunno.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Discussion and debate isn't a bad thing; it's only bad when people take it to the extreme and start getting heated over it.

It's a freakin' video game people, not life or death.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I can't fault people for being disappointed in Byleth since most were probably expecting something a little more grand due to the extreme buildup, but ruining the fun for others who actually wanted the character is a big no no.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I won't lie, I was disappointed with Byleth. But within the span of like an hour I decided "it's dlc, I don't have to buy it anyway." The rest of you should realize that too, and also that it's a video game, not the end of the world.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
My life is finding a dozen cutesy pictures I could use as a avatars, and then look at all of them and they either are too low rez or just don't fit as an avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom