• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
can we stop this? I didn't want Sceptile and Decidueye because they were grass type, I wanted them because I like Sceptile and Decidueye. We should stop looking at Pokemon solely for what type they are.
But PeridotGX.

No one can argue against Baboom. :troll:

Yep I went there.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Have you watched female soccer? Watch how they are on the field and you would see no difference between the two
It’s not that! God I’m not talking about sexual dimorphism or that soccer players are only men or whatever or that there is a difference, there isn’t. Regardless of what’s in your pants sports are just an inherently masculine thing. Thats why the two don’t look any different when you observe them. That’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with that. But that does mean that it’s an aesthetic I’m not really in to.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I always figured Scorbunny was the more promoted starter because it was Gou's, but I never considered Ash having a starter for some reason.

That said, if he gets Toxtricity I'm gonna bank on Tox for Smash.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sorry what? I don’t follow. Sports aren’t masculine or feminine. They’re sports.
Certain things are masculine. Certain things are feminine. It has nothing to do with the gender of the person doing them. And any gender can do any of these actions without questioning their identity. It’s entirely from an aesthetically viewpoint.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Intelleon is supposed to be the “cool” one, you can tell from it’s animations. And Cinderace’s sports gimmick makes them masculine by default. Not like sports are only for boys, but on the aesthetic and behavior spectrum, sports are on the masculine end.

It’s not that I have a problem with a masculine looking Pokémon. It’s that there is no feminine option among the starter choices.
Sounds like your own hangups are impeding things for you more than the actual objective designs, which in the case of Cinderace and Intelleon, seem pretty neutral from my vantage.

Saying anything sports-related makes something automatically masculine sounds a little prejudicial to me.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Certain things are masculine. Certain things are feminine. It has nothing to do with the gender of the person doing them. And any gender can do any of these actions without questioning their identity. It’s entirely from an aesthetically viewpoint.
You’re going to have to elaborate on that asthetic thing you keep bringing. You’re being too vague for me to understand your point. Like are we talking about the uniforms? What about them? You see what I mean?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Rillaboom is masculine only in the sense that real gorillas are big and buff and we associate big buff things with masculinity.

Cinderace and Inteleon are pretty gender neutral.

Shroob

Sup?
Wow so uhh... my little sister plays varsity basketball...

But I guess even in 2020 sports aren't gender nuetral?

*sockpuppetmonkey.meme*

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Tbf to Snake, certain things do have a layer of "masculine" or "feminine" in that a specific gender will find themselves more interested in one over the other. They tested this with male and female toddlers and found that the males go for the trucks more often than not and the females went for the dolls.

But like all of these kinds of tests, this IS a small sample size. I personally think that at a younger age you're more so inclined to go with instinct given your underdeveloped brain, and that when we grow we become much more complex in our choices of things we like and in what we gravitate towards.

But that's me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I officially decided I'm going to collect all my tickets for every film I see this year in theaters. So far I got Underwater.

Only 10 more to go (Well 11 if you count My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Cinderace is a ****ing soccar rabbit.

Rillaboom is a ****ing gorilla drummer.

Inteleon is a ****ing lizard sniper.
Cinderance is a ****ing letdown.

Rillaboom is a ****ing letdown.

Inteleon is ****ing letdown.

Bring back Feraligatr! :160:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I try to call pokémon "its" since they're mostly animals and vary in gender, but I might find myself just feeding into what I personally feel the Pokémon feels like to me at times.

In which case, if the gender ratio is anything over 50% in favor of one specific gender I'm likely gonna use those pronouns from time to time, as is the case with the starters. I even call Primarina boys for the most part because of this when a LOT of people feel otherwise.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I would cry tears of happiness because Sakurai decided to finally acknowledge Mystery Dungeon exists.
And yet, Sakurai feels like the Modern Kirby series doesn't exist in Smash. (I want my boy Bandana Dee as a fighter, plus there's little representation.)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
thats what Im saying. It isnt. Hell, Unmmaried woman were allowed to be in the ancient olympics if I read things right
Just because a woman can and has done something doesn’t make that thing not masculine. And any gender can do any action on the spectrum and not be any less of the gender they identify as. Masculine things aren’t Inherently for men and vice versa.
You’re going to have to elaborate on that asthetic thing you keep bringing. You’re being too vague for me to understand your point. Like are we talking about the uniforms? What about them? You see what I mean?
The uniforms, the behaviors, the culture surrounding the events. It’s always so aggressive and antagonistic and values physical function over aesthetical pleasure.
Wow so uhh... my little sister plays varsity basketball...

But I guess even in 2020 sports aren't gender nuetral?

*sockpuppetmonkey.meme*
It doesn’t matter if it’s masculine or feminine. Anyone can still do it. And it doesn’t make their gender any less valid. Masculinity is not inherently linked to gender and neither is femininity. And it’s not bad for a woman to be masculine and a man to be feminine. But that doesn’t mean those things aren’t what they are.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The uniforms, the behaviors, the culture surrounding the events. It’s always so aggressive and antagonistic and values physical function over aesthetical pleasure.
So... what you’re saying is that masculinity, associated with men, is aggressive and antagonistic? I really hope this isn’t where you are going.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Anyways, remember Gou? I'd say his design fits with Cinderace because they're so gender ambiguous. Anime definitely nailed that.

Gou is also a tsundere boy who blushes a lot because he's a bit reserved, in which Cinderace, an energetic and sporty type, contrasts with that well.

So needless to say I already like Gou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom