• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Probably not the only one but I did remember that I thought Yokai Watch was going to be a dark horse of a character getting in

Now. Not anymore.
I don't expect it either, I just think it would neat to see second hand prices of a game that had a limited print run go up because the character from that game ended up in smash.

Typically that happens when a character from a series that's niche in the west gets into smash. The second hand prices for games in the series go up a lot.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Is Yo-kai Watch still a thing in Japan? It kinda fizzled out entirely here from what I remember.
It's not as popular but yeah it's still a thing.

The newest anime is basically Digimon frontier. Where a group of humans fuse with Yokai to save the day.

I actually really dig the look of edgy human Jybanyan over here
53dcfae25e7da4c0af70c9899150a5c2684466b6r1-600-337v2_uhq.jpg

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Well regardless of what time it is now think I might hit the bed there now.

A little bit of Xenoblade and then sleep.

Wake up and my two new games will be downloaded on PS4.
Until then my friends.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Played my first match with my new team and won! Here's how it went down.
>Opponent has a Shiny Libero Cinderace
>I sent out Corviknight
>Cinderace Dynamaxes
>one shots Corviknight with Max Flare
>I send out Dragapult
>it uses Draco Meteor to cut down Cinderace's health
>Cinderace one shots Dragapult with Max Darkness
>Primarina enters the battle
>I dynamax Primarina
>Primarina gets hit by Max Steelspike but lives
>KOs Cinderace with Max Geyser
>opponent sends out Corviknight
>is faster and uses Roost (lol?)
>Primarina one shots Corviknight
>Excadrill comes out
>uses Earthquake, but Primarina barely survives it
>Primarina uses Max Geyser one more time
>Excadrill endures it with Focus Sash
>Next turn
>Primarina uses A Q U A J E T
Good ****, good ****. Gonna keep playing so I can get to a higher rank for better rewards at the end of the season.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My playthrough as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, as of right now.
  • Play the tanker
  • Yo I'm Snake :ultsnake:
  • I'm bad at the game
  • I nearly kill a Russian woman
  • I take pictures of robots
  • I die
  • I'm now Raiden
  • I'm even worse at the game
  • Find Pliskin, he's cool :ultsnake:
  • Find Stillman, he's cool
  • Find bombs, that's not cool
  • Meet a ninja!
  • Stillman finds bombs, that's not cool
  • Fight invincible lady, win and lose at the same time
  • F A T M A N I N F U R I A T E S M E C A U S E I C A N ' T S E E M T O H I T H I M
  • Look for the president, find the secret service
  • microphones are funny
  • Fight a chopper, very cool
  • get pissed on, very not cool
  • Find the president
  • The president just died
  • ROSE THE PRESIDENT JUST DIED WE DON'T NEED TO TALK ABOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP RIGHT NOW
  • Fight Vampire Jesus
  • Find Emma
  • Emma dies
  • Otacon dies emotionally
  • Got knocked out
  • Acknowledge my PTSD
  • I'm naked
And that's as far as I got for now.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
My playthrough as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, as of right now.
  • Play the tanker
  • Yo I'm Snake :ultsnake:
  • I'm bad at the game
  • I nearly kill a Russian woman
  • I take pictures of robots
  • I die
  • I'm now Raiden
  • I'm even worse at the game
  • Find Pliskin, he's cool :ultsnake:
  • Find Stillman, he's cool
  • Find bombs, that's not cool
  • Meet a ninja!
  • Stillman finds bombs, that's not cool
  • Fight invincible lady, win and lose at the same time
  • F A T M A N I N F U R I A T E S M E C A U S E I C A N ' T S E E M T O H I T H I M
  • Look for the president, find the secret service
  • microphones are funny
  • Fight a chopper, very cool
  • get pissed on, very not cool
  • Find the president
  • The president just died
  • ROSE THE PRESIDENT JUST DIED WE DON'T NEED TO TALK ABOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP RIGHT NOW
  • Fight Vampire Jesus
  • Find Emma
  • Emma dies
  • Otocan dies emotionally
  • Got knocked out
  • Acknowledge my PTSD
  • I'm naked
And that's as far as I got for now.
Pretty much the entire Kojima experience in a nutshell.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Just finished Iron Man.

Fun watch, but it really does reek of 2008 in some areas. Plus, the twist villian was stupid since they revealed it before it actually happened. Otherwise, still a solid film.

Also, "Next Time Baby" - Dude who got replaced next time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
As much as I’d love to see the Doc again, I’m worried I won’t be interested in whatever direction they take him. I’ve been spoiled on both the PS4 game and Spiderverse’s takes on the character.
as long as they don’t do any more Superior Spider-Man related stories, I’m good...in such short Time they overmilked that one
I'll agree, Nick Fury is legit the best part of the movie.

Now currently watching Iron Man. You can tell that movie came out in 2008. Every joke feels like a 2008 moment.
now I wish we got a Nick Fury movie or show
Except for that one scene that basically killed any coolness in scenes from movies before it.
It’s jUst a sCrAtch

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
they... kinda did?
View attachment 273944
just a solid 10 years before the MCU, starring David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, and generally considered bad.
Tfw all David Hasselhoff is known for is his appearance in the Spongebob Movie and that's it. In before someone says Baywatch.

Fun fact: he returned for the 20th anniversary Spongebob special as well. That's his most notable appearance in anything since like 2004.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Tfw all David Hasselhoff is known for is his appearance in the Spongebob Movie and that's it. In before someone says Baywatch.

Fun fact: he returned for the 20th anniversary Spongebob special as well. That's his most notable appearance in anything since like 2004.
He was also known for a show called Knight Rider, which had a talking car and stuff. A lot of people remember that show, but it wasn't as broadly appealing as Baywatch, I suppose. EDIT: Oh yeah, Knight Rider's cult appeal extends to James Gunn, who was inspired to reference the show in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, to the point that Hasselhof actually had a brief cameo in the movie.

Many years ago I remember seeing commercials for "The Roast of David Hasselholf " on Comedy Central. But I was just a babby that was too young for Comedy Central at the time.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

that and his cameo in GoTG Vol.2 are the only two things I knew he was in before I heard of this movie.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Wait David hasselhoff was an actual actor and not just a one off gag in spongebob?
Yeah, he appeared in the first Spongebob Movie as a both a joke (Baywatch parody) and an important character near the end. I don't think anyone really got the joke, but seeing him was somehow funny.

And then he returned for the 20th anniversary special there I believe he got into it with Patchy the Pirate.

Hasselhoff was the actual character. He didn't play anyone, it was just Hasselhoff.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, he appeared in the first Spongebob Movie as a both a joke (Baywatch parody) and an important character near the end. I don't think anyone really got the joke, but seeing him was somehow funny.

And then he returned for the 20th anniversary special there I believe he got into it with Patchy the Pirate.

Hasselhoff was the actual character. He didn't play anyone, it was just Hasselhoff.
Make me feel even older why don't you?

Why Potato man, why do you hurt me so.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pretty much the entire Kojima experience in a nutshell.
And in a way, I still prefer it to 4 and 5’s stories. 5 is just poorly told and 4 is very insubstantial. 2 may hit you like an anvil on a coyote’s head after standing on thin air, but at least it feels like a complete narrative.

Also, MGS works better on handhelds. I played the entire series on PS3, and then played the original trilogy on my vita, and my experience on the vita was like 5000 times better. Desperately want a Metal Gear Collection on Switch.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
As a Zoomer, it's bizarre to think about a time where Iron Man wasn't one of the top 3 most popular superheroes. Until this time last year, I wasn't even all that interested in superheros, and I could have still given you a brief summary of the character. He's that famous. But apparently before his movie, he was considered B tier at best. Weird.

Shroob

Sup?
As a Zoomer, it's bizarre to think about a time where Iron Man wasn't one of the top 3 most popular superheroes. Until this time last year, I wasn't even all that interested in superheros, and I could have still given you a brief summary of the character. He's that famous. But apparently before his movie, he was considered B tier at best. Weird.
Aside from Spider Man and X-men, Marvel in general was kinda B-tier.

The 80's and 90's were really DC's time, what with shows like Batman TAS, Superman and Justice League.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It wasn't that he wasn't that famous (he regularly had multiple comics released AND was a consistent member of the Avengers), it was just that Spider-Man and X-Men took up SOOOOO much mainstream attention in TV, video games and movies. Even the Hulk who had a show in the 70s would get sidelined :yoshi:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It wasn't that he wasn't that famous (he regularly had multiple comics released AND was a consistent member of the Avengers), it was just that Spider-Man and X-Men took up SOOOOO much mainstream attention in TV, video games and movies. Even the Hulk who had a show in the 70s would get sidelined :yoshi:
The X-Men are kinda the opposite of Iron Man for me. Before I got into Marvel, the only member of the X-Men I could name was Wolverine (also Deadpool but I don't know if he counts?), it's weird to think there was a point where they were household names and Tony, Cap, Thor, and Groot weren't.

Shroob

Sup?
The X-Men are kinda the opposite of Iron Man for me. Before I got into Marvel, the only member of the X-Men I could name was Wolverine (also Deadpool but I don't know if he counts?), it's weird to think there was a point where they were household names and Tony, Cap, Thor, and Groot weren't.
I'd argue that Guardians of the Galaxy were extremely niche until their movie.

I had a decent knowledge of comic books at the time, and I had never even heard of them before.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I had a decent knowledge of comic books at the time, and I had never even heard of them before.
I should note that there were two separate GotG's before. One was in the 70's that wasn't part of Earth-616 and the one most people are familiar with in 2008 which IS part of Earth-616. Pretty much every member had a minuscule presence in the 60s and 70s before then (Groot and Drax were straight up villains) :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
I should note that there were two separate GotG's before. One was in the 70's that wasn't part of Earth-616 and the one most people are familiar with in 2008 which IS part of Earth-616. Pretty much every member had a minuscule presence in the 60s and 70s before then (Groot and Drax were straight up villains) :yoshi:
I like to imagine that the scene early on in GotG is more or less how most people felt about the series at that point.

"You know? Starlord?"

".....Who?"

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
did the original ones ever make it into the MCU? I remember hearing (a very different) Yondu was one of them, but other than that, I know nothing.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

It’s the marvel effect. Give them a movie in the mcu and suddenly they become a super popular household name. Even if the movie underperforms. Because there is an inherent cultural bias favoring anything released under the Disney name.

Wish DC could get that kind of guaranteed automatic success.

Justice League and the first two Thor movies are the same level of quality. And one got automatically torn down and the other got praise with people only saying the first two sucked after Ragnorok came out. It’s just not fair.

I still can’t believe they caved to the internet whiners and released the damn Snyder Cut. I would have burned it instead.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
did the original ones ever make it into the MCU? I remember hearing (a very different) Yondu was one of them, but other than that, I know nothing.
Other than Yondu, most of the other members didn't show up until the second movie. Sylvester Stallone as Stakar Ogord for example :yoshi:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It’s the marvel effect. Give them a movie in the mcu and suddenly they become a super popular household name. Even if the movie underperforms. Because there is an inherent cultural bias favoring anything released under the Disney name.

Justice League and the first two Thor movies are the same level of quality. And one got automatically torn down and the other got praise with people only saying the first two sucked after Ragnorok came out. It’s just not fair.

I still can’t believe they caved to the internet whiners and released the damn Snyder Cut. I would have burned it instead.
I mean, I don't really care a whole lot for Thor in general so I haven't seen the Thor movies but

Justice League is baaaaaaaad. I see it all the damn time on syndication, and it's just baaaaaad.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I don't really care a whole lot for Thor in general so I haven't seen the Thor movies but

Justice League is baaaaaaaad. I see it all the damn time on syndication, and it's just baaaaaad.
It’s not that bad. It’s at least fun to watch.

Not like the Snyder Cut’s gonna be better. It’s gonna be longer, needlessly dark, less funny, and more boring. Mark my words. As soon as it comes out everyone will regret harassing WB to get it released.

I need to let go of my anger..... but it’s really hard to when your entire life basically consists of “says I like something” other person “you like THAT!?! It’s garbage! Such and such is waaaaaaaay better”. Makes you distrustful and resentful whenever someone says something bad about something you like. I still think people are needlessly hard on media that’s not “popular” and “good” and on the people who like it.

osby

Smash Obsessed

People complained about The Dark World when it first came out, too. And even then, first Thor movies are fun action flicks at worst. Not anything Justice League levels of bad.

That's why Marvel movies are so popular. Even if they aren't necessarily well-written, they are almost always a good way to waste a couple of hours. That's simply how mainstream entertainment works and Marvel knows this. It doesn't have anything to do with the brand, people also praise DC when they make engaging films like Aqua Man, Wonder Woman, or Shazam.

Shroob

Sup?
It’s not that bad. It’s at least fun to watch.

Not like the Snyder Cut’s gonna be better. It’s gonna be longer, needlessly dark, less funny, and more boring. Mark my words. As soon as it comes out everyone will regret harassing WB to get it released.

I need to let go of my anger..... but it’s really hard to when your entire life basically consists of “says I like something” other person “you like THAT!?! It’s garbage! Such and such is waaaaaaaay better”. Makes you distrustful and resentful whenever someone says something bad about something you like. I still think people are needlessly hard on media that’s not “popular” and “good” and on the people who like it.
If you think it's fun to watch, then hey, more power to ya.

I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit and like, I really just don't like it.

I feel like the issue is DC tries to take itself soo damn seriously and be the more 'mature' of the two when.... no, it really doesn't work. Marvel movies are fun, super hero pop-corn flicks where boom boom pow and bang bang haha Hulk smash big funni with vibrant color palettes. While DC........dull, dark, drab color palettes and usually more serious. It's why, of the DC's library, I like Aquaman and Wonder Woman the best, these 'feel' like Super Hero movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom