• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I know I’ve said this in the past, but i honestly really hope that the next FP continues to go in the direction this one has up to this point (That being 3rd party focused and shock value). I don’t think a single DLC newcomer has disappointed me so far, so it’d be great if i could say the same for the next one.
And then there's people like me who are the exact opposite of you as I was massively "eh" at best towards this DLC to the point that I won't buy any more DLC after it unless there's something that appeals to me or makes speculation interesting. Most stuff about this DLC has been "eh" it's not bad but it's not spectacular either just very middle of the road not bad, not good just boring.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Standing animation isn't an idle animation.

Idle animations are when the character model has been left out of control and will just move to keep it visually interesting. Compare how in Ultimate, Mario will sometimes weave around, or adjust his hat, Link goes on guard it will look around. Or Samus checking her arm blaster/doing a little fist pump. Those are idle animations.

When you let your turn go, Pokemon will have only their standing animation and they loop through that. A few Pokemon that have these are stage 1 starters, mascots and legendaries (like Rowlet turning his head around to face you)
Um, the vast majority of Pokémon have idle animations.

The only ones that don’t are the immobile ones, and a few flying Pokémon.

Every other one does.

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I saw Zoroark and Lucario thirst being mentioned, so I tried to find a picture to go along with some witty response I'd come up with.

Found this instead.

View attachment 241872

It's literal Zoroark and Lucario thirst.

In my experience, Twitter is one of, if not the worst of them all. Reddit hasn't been as bad, and YouTube comments are more memes and garbage than anything else. Wouldn't know about Facebook because I haven't used it in years.

Twitter is a bad place in general to discuss controversial opinions. It's rarely tame and respectful toward others.
A82FB7AF-7403-48FD-9764-460CCC449C43.gif

You didn’t have to do this to me.

Double K

Smash Lord
Maybe the terminology is lost to me. I dunno.

So, when the clouds go over the sun in the sky in the Galar game, the game will gradually go dimmer, then brighter as the clouds continue on, as it would realistically. Again, that was never done in any other Pokemon game.

It's not technically impressive, sure. It's the fact that they added it, and that's nice.
That'd be dynamic lighting which absolutely has been around since Gen 4 for some areas, but specifically for clouds, that would be something new for Gen 8.

I actually wanna say stuff like that goes back to the SNES era? But I can't remember. I know you saw things like this in sprite-based N64 era games though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And then there's people like me who are the exact opposite of you as I was massively "eh" at best towards this DLC to the point that I won't buy any more DLC after it unless there's something that appeals to me or makes speculation interesting. Most stuff about this DLC has been "eh" it's not bad but it's not spectacular either just very middle of the road not bad, not good just boring.
I haven't necessarily been disappointed with the DLC, but I feel like your odds of getting a character in the pass that you wanted beforehand are pretty low if Banjo isn't your taste. Most of the characters barely had support before their reveal.

A few surprises here and there are fine, but it gets old after a while. I think that's part of the reason why I tend to like Nintendo characters more. I usually have a better image of what I'll get, so even if the character isn't what I was expecting, it's still pretty close to what I was mentally prepared for.

D

Deleted member

Idk if this has been shown yet but...
Cristina vee just made a cover for lifelight
I really wish she did voice work for ultimate. And that would mostly be the half genie.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Twitter is a bad place in general to discuss controversial opinions. It's rarely tame and respectful toward others.
The 140/280 character limit also works against meaningful discussion and sharing of ideas. Instead, what it works for are snarky insults and sophistry. No substantial political or philosophical thought has ever been conveyed in something so brief as a social media post.

Double K

Smash Lord
Um, the vast majority of Pokémon have idle animations.

The only ones that don’t are the immobile ones, and a few flying Pokémon.

Every other one does.

I don’t know what you’re talking about.
Noipoi

I'm playing Gen 6 right now

They don't have idle animations.

They bob around. That's a standing animation.

Shroob

Sup?
I haven't necessarily been disappointed with the DLC, but I feel like your odds of getting a character in the pass that you wanted beforehand are pretty low if Banjo isn't your taste. Most of the characters barely had support before their reveal.

A few surprises here and there are fine, but it gets old after a while. I think that's part of the reason why I tend to like Nintendo characters more. I usually have a better image of what I'll get, so even if the character isn't what I was expecting, it's still pretty close to what I was mentally prepared for.
Hard disagree but we've been over this countless times.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 241873

You didn’t have to do this to me.
Compared to everything else featuring Lucario and Zoroark, this is actually VERY tame.

Believe me. Just take my word for it.

The 140/280 character limit also works against meaningful discussion and sharing of ideas. Instead, what it works for are snarky insults and sophistry. No substantial political or philosophical thought has ever been conveyed in something so brief as a social media post.
That's another issue I have. I'm a wordy guy, so I'll type a well thought-out response that actually has substance to it. Might take three or four posts sometimes.

And then there's ten other users, waiting and ready to strike back with their one-line zingers that are nothing more than a way to shoot down my opinions and make light of a conversation I was hoping would be taken seriously.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noipoi

I'm playing Gen 6 right now

They don't have idle animations.

They bob around. That's a standing animation.
Dude they totally have idle animations what are you even on about?

Wait in a battle for like, three minutes. The Pokémon will do a little animation.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Idk if this has been shown yet but...
Cristina vee just made a cover for lifelight
I really wish she did voice work for ultimate. And that would mostly be the half genie.
I'm not even a fan of the song, but I have to say this sounds great and way better than the original :)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Watched the banana splits movie. It’s was actually pretty good. I laughed quite a bit and the kills were pretty fun

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Standing animation isn't an idle animation.

Idle animations are when the character model has been left out of control and will just move to keep it visually interesting. Compare how in Ultimate, Mario will sometimes weave around, or adjust his hat, Link goes on guard it will look around. Or Samus checking her arm blaster/doing a little fist pump. Those are idle animations.

When you let your turn go, Pokemon will have only their standing animation and they loop through that. A few Pokemon that have these are stage 1 starters, mascots and legendaries (like Rowlet turning his head around to face you)
That's kind of semantics. Gen 5 pokemon also kind of bob around on a repeated loop, so if you're going to make a distinction between idle and standing animations they're kind of in the grey area anyway. The difference is that they have slight fidgets, but they're still really simplistic animations. With the exception of like, Scraggy, it really isn't much of a downgrade. Especially when you consider every pokemon has at least two unique attack animations now, which they didn't in BW.

I'm not going to speak in Sw/Sh here, but I'm going to defend X/Y's animations at least, especially since they couldn't have built a bunch of them off of prexisting gen 4 sprites.

D

Deleted member

to be honest I fully agree this DLC was not bad but if we get the same thing as this DLC the surprise factor will wear off and usually too much of a good thing is a bad thing the same goes for surprises.

But as far as first parties go I think it's unfair to completely ignore 50% of the possible characters we could be getting either first (/second) or third party characters and I feel a lot more secure in my purchase of 1st party characters and there's more of a chance of it being someone I like, Know and might want to play.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Jesus dude.
Hey, why else watch a slasher movie aside from seeing how creative the director and writer can be lol
Exactly that’s my favorite part. Horror movies can get really creative and that makes them fun to watch. No one wants to watch movies have the same kills over and over and over in movies. They stand out more when they try something different

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Pokémon from XY onwards do have idle animations like their BW counterparts, just like those games if you wait a few seconds they'll cycle into a unique animation from their basic stance. For example, Lycanroc Midnight form's typical animation is it swaying side to side, but if you give it a few seconds it will display an animation where it lifts its hands up and goads the opponent, like so. Every Pokemon has an animation like that, and while some are subtle like just giving them a flap of the wings, others are more distinctive.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Because once these movies get popular they change the source material pretty much permanently. See the Teen Titans post show, Mr. Freeze, both incarnations of Harley Quinn, and pretty much every character in the MCU. These changes stick. And changing them in this way is not something I would like.

Doesn’t
He start and become the face of a revolution where people literally kill the rich?

About deconstructions. I’m just sick of it. I’m sick of cynicism. I’m sick of people taking these fantasy stories and going “pfeh. Yeah right! THIS is what would happen if this story were REAL”. Makes me frustrated

I’ll take your word about them making him sympathetic though. That’s something you really can only get from actually seeing it.

I had to look up what that meant. And what I read didn’t make sense.
So wait, I'm confused. Are you implying that there's an issue with more complex villains?

Like, you say Mr. Freeze and Harley Quinn changing source material, but the former was a one-note Silver Age villain with no motivation other than being a bald guy w/ a freeze ray, and the latter didn't even exist before the animated series, but was created as a henchwoman / love interest / sidekick / punching bag for Joker. In both these situations, they're taking the source material and expanding upon it. If anything, future versions of these characters take the 'deconstruction' of the villain and outright ignore it. Both of them have very clear arcs of "this is why I'm a villain" and have very clear answers that would solve their issues (i.e. Freeze saving Nora, and Harley getting proper help / breaking away from Joker), but a lot of mediums ignore that depth and simply use the characters on a surface value because they're popular. If you want to argue that these character changes suck because they won't get resolved in order for writers to use them again and again, sure. But the issue isn't that they have complexities.

As for cynicism in the stories, yes, there's a point at which these characters can be too grounded in reality, but I think it's more interesting when you look at a character like Batman, Superman, the Joker, and so on, and ask what brought them to this point. As much as I love the Golden Age and Silver Age of comics, there's a reason why comic book characters have evolved over time, and that's that they really had no depth beyond being good or evil. I think it's more interesting if you ask if Batman is in the right or not by going around beating people up. I think it's interesting if you ask what caused the Joker to be a homicidal clown man, and if everyone would become like him under the same circumstances.

I think having a black-and-white relationship between superheroes and supervillains, where the only reason they're opposed is because one is good and the other is evil, is boring. If we wanna continue the Batman rogues gallery, you have plenty of characters in there who not only challenge Batman in a fight, but also challenge his morals and question why he fights this fight. Like, just a quick run down:
  • Poison Ivy, eco-terrorist who believes the only way to save the Earth and it's plant life is to overtake humanity
  • Bane, a man who's gone through similar trauma, has built his intelligence and strength up to levels similar to Batman's
  • Scarecrow, a man obsessed with fear and learning how to harness it, just like how Batman utilizes fear tactics
  • Riddler, leaving riddles / puzzles behind and challenging Batman's intellect rather than his raw strength
  • Catwoman, a thief and "forbidden love" for Batman

Now there's a place for simple good and evil stories. For example, I love Disney villains. I'm a sucker for a good song and some dope theatrics. I think a movie like Maleficent, where they very clearly try to paint Maleficent as a sympathetic hero who's owed that vengeance, is dumb. But in the context of the stories, I feel like they're not villains for the sake of being villains. They're still there to teach a lesson. For example, The Beast and Gaston. Beast is, well, a beast, but he learns to be selfless, caring, and earns Belle's affections despite starting out as a selfish, cruel monster. Gaston, on the other hand, is handsome, has the affection of the entire town, and can basically get anything he wants except for Belle's affections, but he never stops being selfish or cruel, and he never learns from it.

Long story short, complex is good because it means we don't have cookie cutter heroes and villains with interchangeable costumes and powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom