• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
People complained about The Dark World when it first came out, too. And even then, first Thor movies are fun action flicks at worst. Not anything Justice League levels of bad.

That's why Marvel movies are so popular. Even if they aren't necessarily well-written, they are almost always a good way to waste a couple of hours. That's simply how mainstream entertainment works and Marvel knows this. It doesn't have anything to do with the brand, people also praise DC when they make engaging films like Aqua Man, Wonder Woman, or Shazam.
That’s what I thought about Justice League. But nooooooo that movie’s baaaaaaaaaaad. You can say all you want that there’s no brand related bias, but all evidence points to the contrary.

I had almost no fun watching Endgame, and it destroyed my ability to have fun with future marvel titles as evidenced by Far From Home, but I could never get away with calling it a bad movie without getting dog piled on.

Shroob

Sup?
That’s what I thought about Justice League. But nooooooo that movie’s baaaaaaaaaaad. You can say all you want that there’s no brand related bias, but all evidence points to the contrary.

I had almost no fun watching Endgame, and it destroyed my ability to have fun with future marvel titles as evidenced by Far From Home, but I could never get away with calling it a bad movie without getting dog piled on.
I like Phantom Menace, but it's a bad movie.

There's a point where you just have to admit that some things aren't good, but it's okay to like them as long as you don't attack people who disagree with you.

I love Phantom Menace. It's an absolutely HORRIBLE film, but I adore it due to how campy and just bad it is, but I also love the good parts, and when Phantom Menace has good scenes, it has legit good scenes. Doesn't mean I'm going to attack people who say it's worse than Attack of the Clones.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If you think it's fun to watch, then hey, more power to ya.

I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit and like, I really just don't like it.

I feel like the issue is DC tries to take itself soo damn seriously and be the more 'mature' of the two when.... no, it really doesn't work. Marvel movies are fun, super hero pop-corn flicks where boom boom pow and bang bang haha Hulk smash big funni with vibrant color palettes. While DC........dull, dark, drab color palettes and usually more serious. It's why, of the DC's library, I like Aquaman and Wonder Woman the best, these 'feel' like Super Hero movies.
I agree that DC lightening up with their films made WW, Aquaman, and Shazam much better. But I also will not begrudge them for trying to stand out against marvel because you KNOW that if they had started out with movies in that style they would be called “marvel copycats”. I sympathize with them being afraid of that, even if I don’t agree with how they went about trying to stand out. Thanks Dark Knight trilogy and Watchmen! You were such great films that made such a great impact on cinema.

**** Christopher Nolan. **** Zack Snyder. **** the mouse. **** Marvel.
I like Phantom Menace, but it's a bad movie.

There's a point where you just have to admit that some things aren't good, but it's okay to like them as long as you don't attack people who disagree with you.

I love Phantom Menace. It's an absolutely HORRIBLE film, but I adore it due to how campy and just bad it is, but I also love the good parts, and when Phantom Menace has good scenes, it has legit good scenes. Doesn't mean I'm going to attack people who say it's worse than Attack of the Clones.
I don’t think I should have to bend over to the court of public opinion and put down something I like just because nobody else does.

I’ve been bullied for liking shows other people though were lame. I went through all of middle and high school qualifying everything I like and eventually capitulate and bash what I like. Do you know what that does to your self esteem? Having to say “I know it’s not good but I still like it” about all your interests so you don’t get mocked and aren’t further isolated from human social interaction? It does horrible things to your mind. And frankly I’m sick of people thinking it’s an okay way to expect people to act and I don’t want my children to hand to go through that while they grow up.

Shroob

Sup?
I agree that DC lightening up with their films made WW, Aquaman, and Shazam much better. But I also will not begrudge them for trying to stand out against marvel because you KNOW that if they had started out with movies in that style they would be called “marvel copycats”. I sympathize with them being afraid of that, even if I don’t agree with how they went about trying to stand out. Thanks Dark Knight trilogy and Watchmen! You were such great films that made such a great impact on cinema.

I don’t think I should have to bend over to the court of public opinion and put down something I like just because nobody else does.

I’ve been bullied for liking shows other people though were lame. I went through all of middle and high school qualifying everything I like and eventually capitulate and bash what I like. Do you know what that does to your self esteem? Having to say “I know it’s not good but I still like it” about all your interests so you don’t get mocked and aren’t further isolated from human social interaction? It does horrible things to your mind. And frankly I’m sick of people thinking it’s an okay way to expect people to act and I don’t want my children to hand to go through that while they grow up.
No one's asking you to bend over, but in my own opinion, it's better to understand when you're part of a majority and when you're part of a minority for liking specific forms of media. Trying to push a narrative of how great a generally accepted bad movie is just won't work, just like how it won't work the other way as well. It's fine to like things even if they're considered 'bad', but getting upset when others dump on said things doesn't make things any better for anyone involved.

It's better to keep an open mind as to 'why' people dislike the thing you like and to come to an understanding instead of writing off every piece of criticism as 'nitpicky' or 'too high standards'.

Like I said before, I love Phantom Menace, and I 100% agree with pretty much all the hate the movie gets. Does it mean it makes me hate the movie? Of course not, I still love it despite its flaws, but I also am able to see 'why' people say the movie is bad and understand, and even agree, where they're coming from.

If I simply sat here and just said **** like "Your standards are too high" or "You're just nitpicking", then all I'm doing is closing myself off and the narrative can never move forward.

And I like the Nolan Batman films tyvm. If there's going to ever be a SERIOUS DC series, of course it'd be Batman. Batman stories aren't really made for children anymore, and the amount of deep, dark **** in the modern day Bat books is perfect for a more serious story tone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, no offense but DC isn't some small indie producer that tries to stay alive in an unforgiving industry. They make movies to make money, just like Marvel. They made dark movies when they thought that's what would sell and now they are more focused on family fun when it's proved to be more profitable.

I'll defend the DC products that do have artistic value and/or fun parts but a few complaints aren't going to hurt them.

Isn't this the exact same thing you complained about? I'm all for constructive criticism but this isn't it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Unpopular Opinion: The first two Thor movies I liked for what they are and think they had some elements that I wish Ragnarok didn't discard. Ragnarok as a whole is massively overrated.

As a Zoomer, it's bizarre to think about a time where Iron Man wasn't one of the top 3 most popular superheroes. Until this time last year, I wasn't even all that interested in superheros, and I could have still given you a brief summary of the character. He's that famous. But apparently before his movie, he was considered B tier at best. Weird.
Yeah to say Iron Man was a breakthrough is an understatement; granted he wasn't a low tier Marvel hero by any means but definitely not a household name. Ironically I remember watching G4 doing coverage of the movie prior to release in 2007, with most reactions being "will this be another Ghost Rider/Daredevil/Fantastic Four?"

Also found this on Twitter and thought it was funny:

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly think the Dark Knight trilogy would have been perfect in the modern DCU tbfh.

Batman is more or less the straight man in this world of superheros with magic and space ****; he's just a rich dude in a dreary city with a bunch of mentally unhinged serial killers and freaks.

I legit think the funniest joke in Justice League is when Bats was asked what his power was and his response was "I'm rich". Batman, at least IMO, should always be the straight man, while everyone around him is the crazy powerful, god among men type.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Just finished AA Trilogy
yayy
time to get Apollo Justice on my phone because for whatever reason it isn’t on switch

Shroob

Sup?
This is just reminding me how some people over on r/Nintendo will defend Sticker Star tooth and nail because "It was my first Paper Mario so I don't care what anyone else says."

It's fine to like something that most people don't like, but to close yourself off and not even giving second thought to those opinions is just bad. Even if I disagree with someone, I can't say I've ever used the block feature on a website, simply because I am always open to hearing someone's opinion/point of view. I may not AGREE with them per-se, and if the person is saying really horrible **** I'll completely tune them out, but for something like this, it's better to learn why things don't appeal to everyone instead of just saying "I like it, don't care what you say", imo at least.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Considering how massive and powerful Superman's and Batman's brand power are, it seems silly to chalk up anyone's distaste for their movies as entirely an unfair brand thing.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Considering how massive and powerful Superman and Batman's brand power are, it seems silly to chalk up anyone's distaste for their movies as entirely an unfair brand thing.
Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman are all the three most popular superheros in the world. The broader public did not care about Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, or especially the Guardians of the Galaxy until the movies came out and were all great. No one expected the first Iron Man movie to land as solidly as it did, because the character is not someone that was even that significant in the world of comics, so it's a testament to the film's quality that it was so successful.

Meanwhile, a Batman vs. Superman movie has been awaited for decades, but Warner Bros. and Zack Snyder botched it by giving it a bad direction that fundamentally misunderstand the characters while also making it a Justice League 0.5, cramming in too much for one movie. And there's no excuse, because the DC Animated Universe did an absolutely excellent Batman/Superman crossover in the 90's, so it can be done and done well when the production is competent.

Despite how disappointing that movie was critically, it still made over a billion dollars at the box office, as did Aquaman years later, which are numbers most Marvel movies don't even get. So brand has little to do with it--good movies generally do well. Justice League underperformed because Batman v. Superman was so disappointing, but Aquaman was a more novel movie that attracted enough marketing power to perform well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

good morning my dude

how's it goin'?
Having a neat morning!!!

Planning out to have some food I like for lunch and after call the remaining IRL friends of mine to see if they can also meet tomorrow!

Seems like I will have another calm day.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Woke up feeling like I got hit by a car. What else is new?

Having a neat morning!!!

Planning out to have some food I like for lunch and after call the remaining IRL friends of mine to see if they can also meet tomorrow!

Seems like I will have another calm day.
Trying living in a place that is under a sort of strict lockdown.
It'll be a while before I see my friends outside.

D

Deleted member

One of these days I should seriously play this game:

Talk about a good first level.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
This is just reminding me how some people over on r/Nintendo will defend Sticker Star tooth and nail because "It was my first Paper Mario so I don't care what anyone else says."

It's fine to like something that most people don't like, but to close yourself off and not even giving second thought to those opinions is just bad. Even if I disagree with someone, I can't say I've ever used the block feature on a website, simply because I am always open to hearing someone's opinion/point of view. I may not AGREE with them per-se, and if the person is saying really horrible **** I'll completely tune them out, but for something like this, it's better to learn why things don't appeal to everyone instead of just saying "I like it, don't care what you say", imo at least.
Still amuses me that people will defend Sticker Star of all things. Take away the Paper Mario branding and what’s left is a poorly designed game with design choices that render normal battles useless, bosses depending on if you have the right thing are either a cakewalk or you could easily spend an hour fighting them (or run out of stickers), cryptic and obtuse puzzles that are tedious to complete (bowling ball anyone?), the sticker menu being a mess to work with, a help system that’s complete useless, necessary mechanics that the game doesn’t even TELL you about, and various other issues that just weigh the game down. I couldn’t complete the game without a guide and I don’t see how you can consider a game good if you need a guide to not even 100%, but to just beat the game in general. I don’t get how the director can say he made this game for 7-10 year olds when there’s plenty of older people who weren’t able to figure out how to beat it as well.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Bruuuuuuuuuh, I thought XB2 had too many sidequests at some points, but XB1 coming here like, "hold my bear" and give you 15 sidequests or more after you just completed a few ones. The difficulty must be **** if you don't use Expert Mode to balance your levels or you played the OG release or the 3DS version.

It's especially grating when one nopon in Satorl Mash force you to go back & forth to him after you accomplished your objective, and you have to walk aaalll the way in his cave to get more info or end the quest, only to get another sidequest and do the whole thing over & over & over again!

Complains aside tho, i'm having lots of fun with Duncan & Rain. Both started a bit meh, but now, they're force of natures. Bionis bless Sword Drive & Dive Sobat.

D

Deleted member

I just found out there's an official spanish dub for The Adventures Of Clutch Powers and I never knew I needed something so much in my life:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sadly I don't even think the Snyder Cut will save Justice League.
Unpopular Opinion: The first two Thor movies I liked for what they are and think they had some elements that I wish Ragnarok didn't discard. Ragnarok as a whole is massively overrated.[/spoiler]
I thought I was the only one on this site that felt like this. Glad I'm not.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Potential bury but hopefully not.

PS_Messages_20200606_132508_resize_21.jpg

So as a celebration of me finishing education after a few days of deciding I bought The Outer Worlds and Hitman 2.

And I'm probably one of the few Western PlayStation fans who knew who Toro was before PlayStation All Stars came out.

If I wasn't playing Xenoblade, I probably would have gotten Persona 5 Royal.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Just learned I been locked from some future sidequests, because I previously decided to one instead of another, without even knowing it will lock from future sidequests.

Granted, they don't seem too important, but still, XB2 made sure you could every sidequests at one point or the other.

Hope the awards for future sidequests get better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Potential bury but hopefully not.

View attachment 273957

So as a celebration of me finishing education after a few days of deciding I bought The Outer Worlds and Hitman 2.

And I'm probably one of the few Western PlayStation fans who knew who Toro was before PlayStation All Stars came out.
That's a fekin wonderful PS4 background.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Posted art of an original character I drew up plenty of times. This one's from a couple days ago. I usually don't share original art around here, but I figured why the hell not. That and, I needed to get back to original art to some extent.

I just finished another redraw challenge. It's based on Game Boxart. The fun part is that each person is more or less doing a different game, so it's got a lot of variety while the Sailor Moon one was mostly one shot from the show. So you KNOW I had to get in on that. But I'll probably post it tomorrow. I usually try to tweet art once a day.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
they... kinda did?
View attachment 273944
just a solid 10 years before the MCU, starring David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, and generally considered bad.
...wish you didn’t remind me of this...and I wish I clarified MCU Fury instead
Tfw all David Hasselhoff is known for is his appearance in the Spongebob Movie and that's it. In before someone says Baywatch.

Fun fact: he returned for the 20th anniversary Spongebob special as well. That's his most notable appearance in anything since like 2004.
I learned of him from Spongebob, so you ain’t wrong
Sadly I don't even think the Snyder Cut will save Justice League.

I thought I was the only one on this site that felt like this. Glad I'm not.
doesn’t have to save it...it just has to be better

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Tfw all David Hasselhoff is known for is his appearance in the Spongebob Movie and that's it. In before someone says Baywatch.

Fun fact: he returned for the 20th anniversary Spongebob special as well. That's his most notable appearance in anything since like 2004.
I just know him from that and a few voice lines in Overwatch. Yes, David Hasselhoff is mentioned in Overwatch. David Hasselhoff is canon to Overwatch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Baywatch's cool and all, but what about this classic?

D

Deleted member

I am very rarely stressed or even unhappy when recording. but this thing I just did tested me, goodness gracious.

D

Deleted member

Well? What’d you record?
A song.

Where they wanted me to record 3 notes, back to back, that are pretty long, and increase in pitch.

Then my cat wants out of my room.

Then he wants into my room.

Then people are coming into my room.

And then I realized a little to late that I could physically not record this line well without running out of breath every single time.

But I kept doing it anyways because I can’t rest until I’ve done it and done it right.

D

Deleted member

I have been watching the official clip of the spanish dub of Clutch Powers at the Play Store a good amount of times and I had to make this well-timed screenshot my new pfp.

Screenshot_20200606-153610_YouTube.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
TFW you have ideas in mind for cryptids or mythological creatures for Lost Tapes ideas but can't think of any good premises. :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom