• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Media?

[][] Revios

That one guy
Hi there,
I am just wondering how everyone here feels about Social Media.

Wether it's a good thing for society or not?

And why?

cornandbeans

Smash Cadet
Well there's different kinds of social media platforms, and i think it is entirely dependent on which platform it is. I like instagram, it's always nice to see how everybody I know in school is doing. I have a twitter account but don't use it for much, what I did use was facebook and boy do i regret ever making one. I sunk hours upon hours on that website, and i regret it. i played those dreaded facebook games, i posted pictures of me flipping my hair, i posted inspirational and witty statuses to get likes that i actually found online. i guess you could say i was "facebook famous" because i had a facebook page with 100k+ likes. but boy, was i an idiot. so much valuable time wasted. let me put it this way. i think social media just another influence and reason why teenagers can't go five minutes without staring at their cell phones, which pisses me off immensely. i mean, if you want to ***** about your everyday life problems, make a blog, because nobody wants to see that crap.

[][] Revios

That one guy
Well there's different kinds of social media platforms, and i think it is entirely dependent on which platform it is. I like instagram, it's always nice to see how everybody I know in school is doing. I have a twitter account but don't use it for much, what I did use was facebook and boy do i regret ever making one. I sunk hours upon hours on that website, and i regret it. i played those dreaded facebook games, i posted pictures of me flipping my hair, i posted inspirational and witty statuses to get likes that i actually found online. i guess you could say i was "facebook famous" because i had a facebook page with 100k+ likes. but boy, was i an idiot. so much valuable time wasted. let me put it this way. i think social media just another influence and reason why teenagers can't go five minutes without staring at their cell phones, which pisses me off immensely. i mean, if you want to ***** about your everyday life problems, make a blog, because nobody wants to see that crap.

Right I completely agree with you about Facebook, my sister has it and she is always on that stupid thing. I mean she's on it at all times such as dinner, vacations, and even at church.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Connection is addicting. Bragging is addicting. Feigning empathy is addicting. Social media let's you do all 3. You can pretend to be mice, caring, important, wise, anything at all but in the end it's really all about ego. Even this post I'm making right now somehow fulfills a deep seated personal desire to tell people how it "really" is.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////////////smashboards.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Warning: I got carried away ranting. You won't miss much if you skip over this post

Personally I hate social media. I don't know if it's really devolved our society, but I could certainly see it leading into that.

It allows us to have this mask, this "persona" where we can create our own person essentially. Take John for instance. In reality, John is kind of a coward, he doesn't speak his mind, usually keeps to himself, and doesn't say much out of fear of how someone might respond. When he gets behind the screen though, John suddenly becomes much more vocal and aggressive. His views are now known by everyone who knows him and he's essentially a different person. Go back to reality and he isn't like that at all.

Similarly, it's not even a "social" platform anymore. When I go on facebook do you want to know what I see?
The horndog - This guy basically likes every girl's profile picture and often times likes provocative pictures of models and actresses.
The car guy - Posts about nothing else. Likes pictures of nothing else.
The "political moron" - shares pictures of Bernie Sanders' quotes. Really doesn't know what they're following, just like what they hear.
The "political genius" - Thinks that they know everything and is so caught up in their own thoughts you don't even want to argue with them.
The atheist - if it's anti-God, they like it, and I get to see it every ****ing time I look at FB. How many of these have I unfriended? Too many.
The religious - "God is good" quotes all the time. (The reason I'm more okay with this than the atheist is because the religious tend to be more positive whereas the atheists are trying to bring another group of people down).
The photographer - Constantly uploading pictures of sunsets and landscapes. That's it.
The girl who changes her profile picture every 3 days - Yeah she's cute BUT NO ONE CARES.
The party animal - Constantly posting pics of him/her getting drunk at clubs and such
The stoner - WE GET IT, YOU LIKE WEED. I LIKE IT TOO, BUT I'M NOT POSTING ABOUT IT
The gun guy - cares about nothing other than guns. Generally is a Trump supporter because Trump is down with guns or something. (I stopped following political stuff)
The PC - Always acting as though they care about every little thing that goes down in the world. Several of them. Make me wanna jump off a bridge.
The "I hate PC" - 2edgy4me
The memester - really the only one I even enjoy. Posts bull**** that makes me smirk. Problem is, so many people try to do this and just end up annoying me.

And twitter...I dunno if I wanna get started on twitter. In theory it's a super cool platform, but I'm not a huge fan of what it's become. Like the hashtags get more and more ridiculous... #wastehistime2016 WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. Ugh, one of my friends met some guy on Twitter and now she's dating him and I'm just waiting to see how that ends up. For all I know they could get married and live happily ever after, but being the cynic I am, I'm waiting for something to go wrong.

The slang is also ridiculous. Half of the time I start saying it and then I get even more pissed. Bruh, fam, tryna, cuck, ****boi...to name a few. It's just dumb. Like, we're not going anywhere as a culture, we're just going down hill at this point.

Well sorry for that, I got a little carried away. Part of it is cause I used to be kind of a fool on social media and then I was like, wtf am I doing? Luckily I caught myself before I went into high school so I ended up alright (I think). I dunno, I've always been a bit more traditional as a person I suppose. Sorry again for this rant.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
I think there's a lot of disadvantages to social media as @Rawkstar said, but there are a lot of benifits that are often overlooked. For example, big news agencies can't control the ideas being spread around. What that means is that censorship is much harder to do (nearly impossible) and then there's the spread of new ideas. It gives us a platform to communicate, and to learn from. Although a lot of movements or "slactivism" is a thing where people think they're helping a cause when they really aren't (like how after the paris attack people were changing their profile picks to a french flag even though that doesn't help paris in any way). It can still be used as a positive to help spread the word about bad things going on and to make changes. Like how police brutality became more evident. Youtube is a form of social media where it gives us a platform to diversify and hear a lot of different viewpoints that aren't the same as our own.

D

Deleted member 269706

I think there's a lot of disadvantages to social media as @Rawkstar said, but there are a lot of benifits that are often overlooked. For example, big news agencies can't control the ideas being spread around. What that means is that censorship is much harder to do (nearly impossible) and then there's the spread of new ideas.
Except they can. Facebook is notorious for temporarily banning users who express too much of their opinion. I have seen this happen first hand. Some girl on my feed who's always posting political stuff, she posted a pretty Islamophobic post and ended up getting muted for about 4 days. And believe me, there are many others. It's a liberal platform and the fact of the matter is, it favors you based on your political beliefs. What this does it creates mob mentality and fear in those who believe otherwise.

It gives us a platform to communicate, and to learn from. Although a lot of movements or "slactivism" is a thing where people think they're helping a cause when they really aren't (like how after the paris attack people were changing their profile picks to a french flag even though that doesn't help paris in any way). It can still be used as a positive to help spread the word about bad things going on and to make changes. Like how police brutality became more evident. Youtube is a form of social media where it gives us a platform to diversify and hear a lot of different viewpoints that aren't the same as our own.
And this is another point I've been meaning to bring up- Social media gives people this delusional idea that they're helping. As if typing out the phrase #blacklivesmatter changes anything, because it doesn't. I don't care what you believe in, if you really want to help your cause, don't use a hashtag because you aren't changing anything. And more over, don't argue about a hashtag, all it does is make you look ridiculously petty.

In theory, it's great. The potential for these platforms is next to limitless, but in a brainless, controlled society, it's bull****.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Except they can. Facebook is notorious for temporarily banning users who express too much of their opinion. I have seen this happen first hand. Some girl on my feed who's always posting political stuff, she posted a pretty Islamophobic post and ended up getting muted for about 4 days. And believe me, there are many others. It's a liberal platform and the fact of the matter is, it favors you based on your political beliefs. What this does it creates mob mentality and fear in those who believe otherwise.

And this is another point I've been meaning to bring up- Social media gives people this delusional idea that they're helping. As if typing out the phrase #blacklivesmatter changes anything, because it doesn't. I don't care what you believe in, if you really want to help your cause, don't use a hashtag because you aren't changing anything. And more over, don't argue about a hashtag, all it does is make you look ridiculously petty.

In theory, it's great. The potential for these platforms is next to limitless, but in a brainless, controlled society, it's bull****.
I agree with everything you said, and i especially agree with the point you made about hashtags, but it still think that other kinds of social media (like youtube) where you can spread ideas. It also allows anyone to become a content creator without having to become a professional X (enter video maker at hollywood, musician etc.)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Social media can be a good thing or a bad thing for me, depending on what I see there.

I personally don't care about those anymore. I remember using Twitter a lot back in the day, but I got pretty bored just posting random stuff and hashtags got old pretty fast. The same goes for Facebook, which I now only use to stay in touch with family members thousands of miles away. MySpace is a thing of the past now and I don't use Instagram.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Hi there,
I am just wondering how everyone here feels about Social Media.

Wether it's a good thing for society or not?

And why?

Social media is a tool like anything else that can be used for good or for ill.

So I think most people can acknowledge it possesses some merits.

I've personally met tons of great people through it. With social media you are not bound by your personal friends, or even people in your immediate geographical location. You can expand your network to find people that share your interests and thus create deeper friendships with little-to-no regard to distance.

Social media can also be a conduit for bullying and other negative uses, but like anything else, that's simply because humans are humans. People will always find a way to be mean regardless of medium.

Just my take on it. :)

Top Bottom