• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Social] MBR Chat

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Cause this is a secret group and we need a secret chat thread to make fun of everyone that isn't in the BR -- and a few that are.

Strong Badam

Super Vegeta
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've suggested that we release the No Johns Ruleset as the official MBR Ruleset on April 1st.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Whatever we do, we should do it a day early or something so theres more people guessing. Plus SWF always does something for the day (rebecca black last year) and everyone would know whats up without thinking about it

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
[collapse=new apps]
Smashboards Username: AlexanderKeithWhite
Region: Victoria, BC, Canada

A small preamble to the character section
My competitive genesis was that of Fox. I briefly toyed with the ideas of Climbers and Mario before dropping them to streamline my improvement. I became horribly afflicted with an addiction to Yoshi of which I am not yet completely cured. Recently, I have found that Marth is a much more accommodating character in regards to my philosophies and playstyles; She will be my singles main from now on. I am not smart enough to play Falcon effectively. I am currently developing a Ganon for doubles.

TLDR?
I grew up on Fox. I am moving away from him.

Primary Character(s):
Singles: Yoshi, Fox
Doubles: Fox

Secondary Character(s):
Singles: Marth, Falcon
Doubles: Falcon, Puff. Ganon

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?

A. I have been playing since October of 2010.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?

A. I attend local tournaments whenever possible. Victoria is reasonably isolated, hence a tight-knit local scene. I am kept up-to-date on our regional scene as far as Vancouver. My limited knowledge of the national/international scene is derived from watching videos/streams and reading tournament results.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)

A.I consider myself a Beginner. Rating myself any higher would be an insult to this game.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?

A. I think there would be a strict division. I am blunt, some might say tactless, with my criticisms. I am baffled by the malaise in my community around the liberal amount of SDs that occur for no reason. Some members interpret my observations and advice as trolling. Other members may speak more kindly of me.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?

A. I absolutely do. It is most likely a result of my genuine love for analytic discussion and theory crafting at a practical level. I am quick to challenge groundless speculation and justification of poor habits/play.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?

A. I am not an active tournament organizer. My contributions to my local scene are limited to attendance. There are many different levels of 'activeness' in regards to our local players. I would say that I am one of the most active players. However, our scene is small, with high centralization around a particular player of skill and experience. Tournaments are few, and often lack attendance from our scene's more peripheral members.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?

A. I would have to think long about the answer to this question, and most likely garner contempt from the vast majority of smashers answering it. May I simply say that Melee suffers greatly for lack of an accessible, up-to-date, and arguably accurate match-up chart?

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. What is fair or unfair about it? I find it difficult to even rate in on a scale of 'fairness.' I suppose it is fair in so much that it cannot possibly give either -player- an advantage they would not otherwise have.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. Once again I fail to see how a rule-set that does not favor a particular individual could be unfair. Even if this rule-set favors certain characters (Spoiler: It does, heavily) and play styles (Once again: it does), I could by no stretch of the imagination call it 'unfair.' An example of an unfair rule-set would look something like this:

Player 1: 4 stocks, all characters/stages are selectable.
Player 2: 3 stocks, cannot select 'Pichu' as a character, restricted access to certain stages.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. Strategy, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I am both active and competitive in more traditional fighting games. Isometric strategies and applied reading of people are the areas of competitive gaming that bring me enjoyment. For me execution is a given, I should be able to perform every movement that I want to, when I want to. Techskill without strategy bores me like a combo video or a match of "Marvel Vs Capcom 3." That is not to say I do not respect it. However, I greatly favour good strategy and smart play.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. This question lacks context for me. Both are derivative of proper spacing and timing, as well as reads in the case of tech chasing. What interests me in punishments is not maximization in the sense of damage but the constant interplay of a favorable ender. For example, I am interested in a player's choice to perhaps send a character off stage for an edge guard, or to create one more knock/down tech-chase to gather enough% for a garunteed kill. The interactivity of getting combo'd is one of Melee's aspects that keeps me interested in the game.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. It does not. As long as it remains segregated from the FGC it will continue to self-sustain as long as there are players. The game is not a traditional fighter by any sense, it is a very unique experience. As long as new players are engaged and encouraged to battle against the steep learning curve the game can survive.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. The responsibility lies with current players here. Engaging new players with interesting competition, fair tutelage, and good experiences will make the game accessible. The following should go without saying, unfortunately it doesn't:
Elitism is the enemy of community expansion. Treating potential new-players as pot-monsters is fool hardy.
The smash community's greatest weakness is its own ignorance and self-absorption. More open minds would go a long way.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. The production of interesting and engaging content would be a great stimulus. Dated and limited tutorials such as the Overswarm are the most easily found. Making this game accessible is not some arcane secret. Real character tutorials, as well as more general ones

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I feel the MBR would benefit me moreso than I would benefit it. I am not able to travel to larger hubs often, and I am looking to gain more insight from high-level players. However, I do not believe I am without something to offer. I feel that I will be able to offer useful perspectives in regards to general improvement of the community. I am not a fan of complacency nor stagnation, and I have much energy to put into the development of both the theory and community of Melee.

OPTIONAL

List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason: Cactuar consistently provides well thought-out arguments and content for the community. He is able to see past the rose-tinted glasses that seem to plague perspectives in this community. He is able to realize when decisions are near arbitrary in nature. Many smashers lack the ability to view things objectively, Cactuar does not.
2. Player: Kirby-Kaze
i. Reason: He generally expresses good instincts in his posts. He is concise, intelligent, and memorable.
3. Player: Vector-Man
i. Reason: Vman treats people with incredible amounts of respect and encouragement. These are extraordinarily undervalued traits in a significant community figure.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: Of course these theories apply to the Melee community. I find Sirlin to be similar to Hobbes, although far less eloquent, in that he assumes all is fair in war. The game does not care. However, given the self-created rule-set of the community his section on 'banability' of game aspects should hit close to home. I believe that the extent to which one 'plays to win' is inherently his own choice. I think it is intelligent and logical, even admirable. However, I would require much more space to completely express my true opinions. I will attempt to summarize them like this:

General improvement is more important than individual wins. One should not rely on tactics with a lower payout ceiling, simply because it is the most available heuristic.

That is not sufficient or satisfying, but it will have to do.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
I want to deepen my understanding of the game and my involvement with the community. I feel this will be an excellent opportunity to do both.
Smashboards Username: DeadLastClown
Region: Niagara, Ontario (Canada)
Primary Character(s): Falco
Secondary Character(s): Too many to choose from. Probably Captain Falcon or Marth.

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Starting this Saturday.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I will try to attend most tournaments that are local to me, or go to Smashfests if I can seize the opportunity. Once I get my license, I will probably go further out, and might even fly to big name tourneys.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. I guess I am in-between average and high level seeing as I can pull off many AT but haven't fully learned how to apply them.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. People in my area could care less about monstrous "Technology", I live in a community of seventy year olds -_-

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. I haven't really learned the ins and outs of playing at tournaments, the community, and what is common so not really.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I usually host really small tournaments for my Birthday where my close buds come over to play Smash but they usually get fed up when they get owned in singles.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. Overall, pretty much. It is not saying one character is better than the next, just how well they do in tournaments and the amount of players that win with certain characters.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. I really don't have an opinion. I just had to cope with platform stages in tournament matches because I would always play singles on final destination and just for fun everywhere else.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. Yes, it is pretty fair. Prior to what the "cool kids" say about "Tourneyf*gs", using the proper rule set makes everyone benefit, and is the more fair way to judge two players in a match up.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. For sure strategy. I just learned some AT with Falco and played against a noob Falco player and rushed in to lose my first stock without thinking. After I slowed things down, I found out his major weakness and didn't even get touched from that point on. Tech is important for follow up, but meta game is way more important.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Both are important. Getting those first hits in there are just as important as following through. If a match is really even you got to be quick and initiate some combos to get you ahead.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Melee will always be a part of me because I grew up with this game being the most fun, action filled multiplayer game out there. Since Nintendo has really gone family friendly and made games a slower pace to please a wider audience, Melee fans will always be smashing their hearts out against one another for that rush that cannot be topped.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. It's going to be hard to get Melee recognized as a legit Tournament Game. So many trendy people out there who would rather pick up the latest Call of Duty and rather game over Xbox Live, or the people that have moved onto Brawl because its "newer, better graphics" or has "more stuff to do".

Even then many people are too busy (or want to seem to busy) to get really into a game, especially an older one that the masses cannot relate to.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. They need to make it easier for noobs to leant the AT ropes.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I'm not really sure, lol.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.

(I can only name one, but if you count each of the videos, that is six.)
I have a few "How to Unlock certain Melee Characters" videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mirrorthrone68/videos

I made these quite a while ago but just never uploaded them until recent. I put the "How to Unlock Luigi video to Rush's 2112, and the timing could have not been funnier.
2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
-unknown552
-Bing
-KrIsP!

Have all been very friendly and helpful answering a lot of my nooby questions.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: The main reason why Melee is so great is because of the kick you get out of pulling off new cool tricks and putting on a show for an intense interesting match. I'm pretty sure this is what Mang0 refers to when he says someone is playing "gay", meaning that they are playing to win. *cough* Armada *cough*.
[/collapse]

These guys have a lot of potential...

unknown522

Some guy
Damn, those guys making Canada look bad

I know that deadlastclown is bringing his mom to my tourney next week, lol. I think he may be like < 15 years old

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Hahaha i just think its silly that they barely know what they are talking about but have the bawls to apply for the MBR.

Hey as an april fools joke, we should accept Kal into the MBR

unknown522

Some guy
loooooooooooooooool.

But yeah, they don't know ****. But that's common nowadays. Bad or new players thinking that they are good. I hate when they spam up threads making useless posts (bad info/ bad anecdotes) and sometimes even ruining good conversation topics. I just want to tell them 'shut up, you're bad and don't know what you're talking about'. But I think that'd make people quit :p.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
In the recent staff evaluation, I'm pretty sure I brought up how something as simple as the room getting relocated to the bottom instead of included in the Melee section has likely affected participation.

I don't log into smashboards thinking "I'll go check the MBR." I log on and think "I'll go look at Melee."

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I rarely browse the forums normally... i just subscribe to various characters discussions. Nothing interesting happens outside of those threads really

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I have been on Smashboards for almost 9 years and I have never subscribed to a thread, nor do I even know what that is.

I'm cool.

Top Bottom