• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South SocaSm4sh, Weekly Tourney in Socastee Every Saturday

SocaSm4sh, Weekly Tourney in Socastee Every Saturday
Posted by Pennsylvanian
White Widow Games Shop
Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 04:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Do you ache for the spirit of healthy competition? Does the purity of the fight invigorate you? Then come join us for the first great weeklies on Saturday, every Saturday EXCEPT the 2nd Saturday of the month. $5 covers both the entry and venue fee, so the stakes are low, but the competition will be fierce. Players of all skill levels are welcome. Prizes will be awarded to 1st and 2nd place will vary based on attendance, 3rd place will always get a flat $5.

- Double bracket elimination
-2 stocks, 6:00 minutes, Best of 3, Best of 5 for semis, finals, and grand finals.
-Mii fighters are allowed with 1111 setup ONLY, custom moves will always be banned.
-Switch freely between any character between rounds, loser of a round may pick the next stage, winner may ban up to three stages before hand
-Gentlemen's rule, if both players agree to it, they may play on any stage, no matter how janky.

In the event that both players have an equal number of stocks and percentage when time runs out, sudden death will not be played, instead, both players will enter a new one stock match with 4:00 minutes. Self destruction moves will only count as a win if the game says so. I.e. Bowser-siding if both stocks are equal will result in a loss for the Bowser player, but Ganoncide will be a win for the Ganon player.

Bringing your own set-up would be greatly appreciated, if you do bring it though, it needs to have all DLC fighters, and the Dreamland 64 stage.

Stage lists:
Starter:
- Final Destination
- Battlefield/Miiverse (Considered the same stage for bans/strikes)
- Smashville
- Town and City
- Lylat Cruise

Counterpick:
- Any Omega map (bans on FD ban Omegas)
- Duck Hunt
- Delfino Plaza
- Dreamland 64
-Umbra Clock Tower

ZacharyWaltonsa

Smash Rookie
[calendar]1077[/calendar]
Hey my name is Zachary and I was wondering. I was gonna go to this and do we have to bring our own controller and can it be a classic controller if so and what is the age limit to be apart of this tournament. Please respond Thanks!

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Great questions, you can bring your own controller if you wish, but I will have spares if you can not, I personally think a classic gamecube controller would be best, but you can use whatever you feel works best for you. There is no age limit, you could be 89, or you could be a 4 year old with exceptionally good typing skills, as long as no one starts Johning super hard, they are welcome.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I don't care for alternate control styles, but I appreciate you allowing them. As this series grows in the future, players and TO alike should remind each other to be courteous of their controllers: it takes a little bit of setup time to get Wii Remotes, Pro Controllers, and 3DS systems synced with a Wii U, and for Pro Controllers, it takes some setup to get them de-synced.

There was a news post about this some time ago, but I've never seen it be a real problem.

ZacharyWaltonsa

Smash Rookie
Great questions, you can bring your own controller if you wish, but I will have spares if you can not, I personally think a classic gamecube controller would be best, but you can use whatever you feel works best for you. There is no age limit, you could be 89, or you could be a 4 year old with exceptionally good typing skills, as long as no one starts Johning super hard, they are welcome.
Also do you have to sign up I know it cost one dollar but do you go in give them a dollar and play or do you sign up.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Also do you have to sign up I know it cost one dollar but do you go in give them a dollar and play or do you sign up.
Show up, give a dollar, wait for the tournament to start by playing friendlies.

Also advertisement time: Get hype, SC. If you live anywhere east of Florence County, it's no more than an hour to get to this tournament! EZPZ drive down 501 to Socastee. Venue's chill, players are great: two weeks in a row and every player is ready to play hard and learn all they can. No one leaves salty, no one's a sore loser, and even better, everyone's a graceful winner.

WindShineZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAmZ97
Does this attract a good crowd? Like is it usually a decent tournament?

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
First week we had 10 people, and the ones after have been between 20-22 people. Is that good enough for you? We'd love for you to be our 23rd if you live reasonably close. Or if you live unreasonably close and you are just that dedicated to Smash.

WindShineZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAmZ97
Thats' great, I'll try to make it if not today another week for sure!

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Oh, an important thing to note, it may say weekly, but we actually do it every Saturday EXCEPT the 2nd Saturday of the month. So today is good, next week won't be, and the one after that will be.

WindShineZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAmZ97
Alright cool. Also how long does it usually last? It says it lasts til 10 and I might not be able to stay for the whole time if thats the case.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
That is just a conservative estimate assuming that every match is really long, I think we finished up the actual tournament around 9 tonight, but some of us stay for a long while afterwards to do friendlies.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
If the people who came all the way from N.C. to play Smash end up reading this, I just wanted to say that I am terribly sorry, that was completely my fault for forgetting to update Smashboards with the info that we do not play on the 2nd Saturday of the month. I understand if you've been burned by that wasted time, but I wanted to say that if you ever do come visit us again to play, I am prepared to give you $10 to reimburse you for your wasted gas last time.

WindShineZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAmZ97
Just a quick question, whats the latest time I can come and still register for the tourney? Also is there a losers bracket?

Applesauce

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stinkyhat
If the people who came all the way from N.C. to play Smash end up reading this, I just wanted to say that I am terribly sorry, that was completely my fault for forgetting to update Smashboards with the info that we do not play on the 2nd Saturday of the month. I understand if you've been burned by that wasted time, but I wanted to say that if you ever do come visit us again to play, I am prepared to give you $10 to reimburse you for your wasted gas last time.
Hey man, we are on our way there now, the reimbursement is not necessary. It's fine, it isnt the first time i travel a couple hours to a tourney that was cancelled.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Hey awesome tourney! Any chance you plan to post the bracket up on here?

This is Jafar btw.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Yep, the guy who is holding onto your WiiU gamepad should be there as well, so be sure to pick that up.

We won't be doing it the week after this one, like every 2nd of the month.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Just a quick update for anyone who might not be on facebook and uses this for their info. We are NOT doing SocaSmash this Saturday. But the reason is an even larger tournament here in Myrtle, I hope everyone can make it out to Smash at the X-con in the Myrtle Beach convention center. It'll be on Sunday at 1pm.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
For anyone who follows this thread for info, I updated the directions to the new place. Also today a tournament will be happening at 5pm, our usual time.

Last edited:

Kedr0n

Smash Rookie
So this still goes on every week, right? I plan on attending sometimes if so.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Yes, every Saturday, if you use facebook at all, you should also follow the page Myrtle Beach Smash to stay tuned to what we are doing, and what another local tournament organizer besides myself is doing.

Pennsylvanian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pennsylvan
Hey, if anyone sees this, just letting you know that on this upcoming Saturday the 23rd, we are NOT doing Socasmash due to the larger nearby monthly happening at Knarf and Kram at Coastal Grand Mall. Go there instead and compete for that pot bonus, and please also bring your A-game to WW the next Saturday after that.

NathanDotNet

Smash Rookie
NNID
NathanDotNet
Hi,

I'm from the Charleston area and this seems to be the closest local to me. Since there haven't been any activity on this thread in quite some time, I figured I should ask if the tournaments are still going on, before I aimlessly go driving 2 1/2 hours up there sometime, lol. There just seems to be a whole radius of nothing in my area, unfortunately. So I'd be more than interested in taking the drive up there.

Thanks.

IonicBearCannon

Smash Rookie
NNID
IonicBearCannon
Hi,

I'm from the Charleston area and this seems to be the closest local to me. Since there haven't been any activity on this thread in quite some time, I figured I should ask if the tournaments are still going on, before I aimlessly go driving 2 1/2 hours up there sometime, lol. There just seems to be a whole radius of nothing in my area, unfortunately. So I'd be more than interested in taking the drive up there.

Thanks.
Yeah, it's been dead for a while at Socastee as far as I'm aware. Your best bet is going to Shore Smash at Player's Place in Charleston every Friday.

shigaretto2000

Smash Rookie
I know there hasn't been a post on this thread until around this time last year, but I was wondering if there's any plans to revive the scene with the upcoming release of ultimate? I'd definitely be interested in participating as I live in the Myrtle Beach area.

Top Bottom