• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, You're a Player too...? Neku Sakuraba for Smash Switch! [FINAL REMIX FOR SWITCH UPCOMING!]

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
NEKU SAKURABA

Overview
If you don't know who Neku Sakuraba is, he's the lead protagonist from the hit DS game The World Ends With You, or TWEWY for short. The game takes place in modern day Shibuya (a district of Tokyo, Japan) and involves having to complete tasks in the "Reaper's Game" or face erasure.

The game was a huge hit on the DS, and is getting a remake on the switch this year. While the game has more of a cult following, Neku and his allies appear in Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS.

Gameplay
If you have ever played TWEWY, you will know that there's a huge variety of moves to pull from. Anything from quick melee blows to energy projectiles, to summoning flames to even telekinesis.

There's some more information in the old Smash 4 thread, so here's a link to it.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I absolutely support Neku for Smash. I was hoping I wouldn't have to make the support thread for him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I absolutely support Neku for Smash. I was hoping I wouldn't have to make the support thread for him.
I know right? I'm surprised that it took so long for someone to make a support thread for him considering the Final Remix version of TWEWY is coming up.

Speaking of that, this might be the best chance we have to get some TWEWY content as Smash DLC since this is the first console remake of TWEWY and it's coming out the same year as Smash. I'm not really expecting Neku to be playable, but I think a Mii costume for him, or even an instrumental track or two from TWEWY could make it into a Final Fantasy stage.

I think it might just be perfect timing for TWEWY.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
TWEWY is just amazing, and Neku’s a great character with great potential for Smash. And hey, he made it into Kingdom Hearts, so clearly Square Enix does see his game as crossover fodder.

I’m using clearly very liberally, I know.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I support. TWEWY is one of my favorite games of all time. Seeing it come to the Switch makes me a happy guy. Also I just want a Shibuya stage with all the music.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Yo so I'm not the only one Who played TWEWY I was kind of bumbed when he did basicly nothing in DDD but his game was great I just really could not get a hang of the partner mechanic but it was fun none the less.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Neku would be such a fun character to play as and I don't expect him to be playable but I'd absolutely love that to happen and I would play absolutely nobody else (except Chrom lmao)

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
After 300+ hours poured into TWEWY, you bet I want him in SSB. Neku is more than oversuited for SSB. You could do practically anything with this boy. I do strongly feel that his up B should be Rhyme lifting him through the air, but the rest of his moveset is basically Mega Man; everything from jabs to tilts to airs and specials is a flashy projectile or other type of attack. Love this game, love this character, hyped to re-experience TWEWY on Switch, add me as a supporter!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How did I not notice this thread sooner?! Sign me up!

I’ve been pushing for Neku since the 4 days, I loved TWEWY and would love to see it represented in Smash (esp the music), and the Switch port may help his chances I’d think!

And if the second Square Enix Rep was between Geno and Neku, I’d choose Neku every time. No disrespect to Geno fans, I just have a greater attachment to Neku.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if Geno isn't the next Square Enix rep, think Neku has a chance?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
The port comes on my birthday but I'm still saving for a Switch :(

He's my second most wanted after Isaac, I will support the cause.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God, I want him SO badly. No offense meant to Geno fans but when I heard "Square-Enix character" from the Vergeben leak I prayed it was Neku. TWEWY was big in the Ace Attorney fandom back in the day, and when I played it I was just blown away. The moveset potential! The style! The music! There is nothing about Neku that isn't perfect for Smash. He even has a perfect Final Smash in the last attack you use during the final boss. I get chills just imagining him.

TWEWY was a standout title on the Nintendo DS. The Switch port has me with bated breath - I feel like the new side story is gonna really open things up story-wise and I can't wait for that. He is my dream new Square rep, even over Crono/Robo or Erdrick or 2B. Yeah, I admit that it's bias but to me he represents a gem in an era of videogaming that Smash needs more representation for and he's a Nintendo character in my eyes through and through even if he technically....isn't, actually.

Look, Big N, at least give us some TWEWY remixes on Moray Towers. I'd flip out if Calling hit at any point.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
God, I want him SO badly. No offense meant to Geno fans but when I heard "Square-Enix character" from the Vergeben leak I prayed it was Neku. TWEWY was big in the Ace Attorney fandom back in the day, and when I played it I was just blown away. The moveset potential! The style! The music! There is nothing about Neku that isn't perfect for Smash. He even has a perfect Final Smash in the last attack you use during the final boss. I get chills just imagining him.

TWEWY was a standout title on the Nintendo DS. The Switch port has me with bated breath - I feel like the new side story is gonna really open things up story-wise and I can't wait for that. He is my dream new Square rep, even over Crono/Robo or Erdrick or 2B. Yeah, I admit that it's bias but to me he represents a gem in an era of videogaming that Smash needs more representation for and he's a Nintendo character in my eyes through and through even if he technically....isn't, actually.

Look, Big N, at least give us some TWEWY remixes on Moray Towers. I'd flip out if Calling hit at any point.
Not to mention the only character from a DS game is Lucario, who is from an established franchise.
And please put the songs on Migdar so at least it has more than 2 songs.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not to mention the only character from a DS game is Lucario, who is from an established franchise.
And please put the songs on Migdar so at least it has more than 2 songs.
Yes on all counts! Part of the reason I'm so adamant about Phoenix Wright and Neku is because they are from killer DS exclusives that in my eyes defined the system and we have so little DS rep. Add Layton to that list and, hell, some Style Savvy rep and you have a great cross-section of what the DS was about - aesthetically strong, mechanically unique, and surprisingly deep and engaging games for all audiences.

If they added TWEWY music to Midgar I'd never turn it off. Fighting For Freedom...Twister...Three Minutes Clapping... I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So with Geno as a spirit, I think the Square rep may be somewhere between a DQ rep, 2B, Agnès, or Neku. I doubt it’ll be another FF character seeing as how FF didn’t even get an assist trophy (Sephiroth woulda made an awesome AT/Boss a la Rathalos IMO)

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for Neku myself!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So with Geno as a spirit, I think the Square rep may be somewhere between a DQ rep, 2B, Agnès, or Neku. I doubt it’ll be another FF character seeing as how FF didn’t even get an assist trophy (Sephiroth woulda made an awesome AT/Boss a la Rathalos IMO)

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for Neku myself!
I just realized that if the DLC plan was finalized just after the project plan, 2B may be off the table. Final Remix was originally teased around that time, yeah? What if...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Unfortunately for Neku I don't think Geno is off the table. If anything I think the fact he's a spirit means they went out of the way to secure geno's rights for ultimate, and therefore is really likely.

I still want Neku in smash in some way. I'd even take a mii costume!

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Neku could work on any Mii costume, at most I could see Gunner.

DQ has the Japan appeal, but the most iconic character is limbless; Geno has the fan demand, but there's a chance he's a spirit and those deconfirming a character due to the lore and Sora is also very popular and could be tied to KH3's release but he's a weird case when it comes to copyright.
Neku got some relevancy due to Final Remix, but outside of that he doesn't have much for or against him. I don't expect him, but I still have hope.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't think Neku could work on any Mii costume, at most I could see Gunner.

DQ has the Japan appeal, but the most iconic character is limbless; Geno has the fan demand, but there's a chance he's a spirit and those deconfirming a character due to the lore and Sora is also very popular and could be tied to KH3's release but he's a weird case when it comes to copyright.
Neku got some relevancy due to Final Remix, but outside of that he doesn't have much for or against him. I don't expect him, but I still have hope.
In my opinion, Neku would work fine as a brawler. If they can get away with having Nia from Xenoblade 2 as a brawler, Neku would work fine.

Yeah, as a Square Enix character from a DS game, I'm not sure if he's the most popular character they have. It seems all the coolest niche 3rd parties are mainly from the DS, ugh.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I'm trying to hype responsibly, but this is the miracle we needed. TWEWY is a big marketing focus right now and is a big Switch title. This could be it.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice

I'm trying to hype responsibly, but this is the miracle we needed. TWEWY is a big marketing focus right now and is a big Switch title. This could be it.
If there were going to be a TWEWY 2 coming out, it would be perfect advertisement...

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Neku is the one addition that would give me reason to consider switching my main. I have no real hope that he will make it in, but then again I never expected to see Cloud or Ridley as playable characters, so I very much hope I am pleasantly surprised as the DLC characters are announced.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
100% support! Neku would be such an interesting character, and he'd bring so much to the table in terms of moveset potential, soundtrack, and even possible stages. He's a lot more obscure than other options, but I nonetheless would love to see him playable.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Are the song descriptions in Final Remix the exact same as the ones in Solo Remix?

This is a *huge reach*, but the tips section for Twister (Kingdom Mix) makes reference to the "ultimate crossover", and the info section for Calling (Kingdom Mix) says "When worthy spirits are out of reach..."

Obviously these are referring to Kingdom Hearts, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were the same descriptions used in the Solo Remix released in 2012. But if they *aren't* the same descriptions as the ones in Solo Remix, I can't help but wonder if they mean anything. I do not own Solo Remix, so I cannot check for myself. I also cannot find the info and tips sections for Solo Remix's songs specifically.

(BTW, Neku is my most wanted Smash character ever, though I know his chances are very slim.)

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
(BTW, Neku is my most wanted Smash character ever, though I know his chances are very slim.)
Slim? I've always found them to be decently high up. The only people from Square I can see getting in are Erdrick, someone from Final Fantasy, Geno, Neku, and an Octopath rep.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Slim? I've always found them to be decently high up. The only people from Square I can see getting in are Erdrick, someone from Final Fantasy, Geno, Neku, and an Octopath rep.
I guess that's kind of what I mean though. As far as I can tell, Dragon Quest, Octopath Traveler, and even Chrono Trigger are more popular and more likely to get characters in Smash than Neku just based on popularity alone.

The only way I can see Neku getting into Smash Ultimate is if TWEWY 2 is actually a thing (A New Day in Final Remix *really wants* to say that it is) and is published by Nintendo like Final Remix was. In which case we would have another situation similar to Bayonetta. (I could even see him being the very last character revealed if that's the case.)

If TWEWY 2 gets formally announced in the coming months, then I'll think Neku is actually pretty likely. Otherwise, all I know is that I voted for him in the ballot, which might not mean much by this point since Joker's game wasn't even out in Japan yet when the ballot was going on.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
When it comes to another Square rep, Neku is definitely my #1 pick. I always felt his psychs could offer a very unique moveset.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This is oddly the most likely this character has ever been for this game, now that Joker is in, yet there's still a very high chance he's NOT in smash.

Here's hoping! I still think he'll be a Mii Brawler, but anything can happen in the Ultimate Smash Bros!

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
So if anyone has been paying attention to the data mining going on, you know that a new DLC fighter was included in the data of the most recent version of Ultimate known only as "Brave". Further mining has revealed stats similar to zoners currently in the game. "Brave" also appears to be mid-weight, floaty, and "slidey" (like Mewtwo)*. It seems like Neku could fit this profile (along with quite a few other characters). Any thoughts?

*The stats in the data as of now aren't set in stone and could change drastically.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if anyone has been paying attention to the data mining going on, you know that a new DLC fighter was included in the data of the most recent version of Ultimate known only as "Brave". Further mining has revealed stats similar to zoners currently in the game. "Brave" also appears to be mid-weight, floaty, and "slidey" (like Mewtwo)*. It seems like Neku could fit this profile (along with quite a few other characters). Any thoughts?

*The stats in the data as of now aren't set in stone and could change drastically.
Oh, Brave is floaty? Guess it can’t be Erdrick then since Erdrick wears heavy armor

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman

It randomly occurred to me the other day that bravery is actually a mechanic in TWEWY.

If it ends up being Neku and *that's* the connection to the codename "Brave", that will be hilarious to me.

Top Bottom