• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So you bought a GC controller for Ultimate; now what?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
A lot of people are buying Smash Ultimate, so that means a lot of people are buying GameCube Controllers and adapters. Even people who don't have anything else to use it on.

Well, I just don't think it's very wise to only get a controller for only one game, a really good controller it may be. So; what else do or can you use your GC controller for?

I know the Switch has limited generic support for it in other games, but these are fairly few and can't easily be picked out on the surface. So which are they?

Basically, suggest Switch games, PC games that can be used with a driver, other things you can do with it... anything to make people get their full money's worth out of the controller and not feel like they got their caveats emptor'd.

General rule of thumb:
• The game in question can't be hindered by the missing buttons. The function of the ZR, -, and stick buttons must either be accessible in some other way or completely trivial.

Please test and add a game if you don't see it here.

Fully playable with native support
• Brawlhalla
• Rivals of Aether: Definitive Editon (Upcoming but confirmed)
• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Fully playable with generic support
• A Dark Room (Not currently available)
• Cuphead
• Dungeon Village
• Ice Climber (Arcade Archives)
• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
• Mega Man 1-6, 8-9 (Legacy Collections 1 and 2)
• Namco Museum
• Octopath Traveler
• Plague Road
• Revenge of the Bird King
• Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
• Sky Skipper (Arcade Archives)
• Sonic Mania
• Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
• Undertale

Needs configured, but fully playable afterward
• Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
• Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze
• Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Semi-playable; Requires missing input for non-vital actions
• Castlevania Anniversary Collection*
• Cat Quest
• Final Fantasy VII*
• Final Fantasy IX*
• Final Fantasy X-X2*
• Konami Anniversary Collection: Arcade Classics
• Mega Man 7 (Legacy Collection 2)
• Mega Man 10 (Legacy Collection 2)
• Mega Man X Legacy Collection
• Super Mario Odyssey

(*Non-vital action in question is cheats menu or trivial settings; core game untouched)

Unplayable or significantly hindered due to missing input for vital actions
• Bayonetta
• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
• Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
• Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online
• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
• Splatoon 2
• Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Unplayable due to not having Switch Pro Controller support
• Human Resource Machine
• Pokémon Let's Go!: Pikachu/Eevee
• Super Mario Party

(Tip: to change software with a GameCube controller despite the lack of a home button, put the console into sleep mode, wake it up, press :GCY: to go to the news screen, and then :GCB: from there will take you to the home screen.)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If someone spends enough time on a game and enjoys it, does it really matter whether or not they only use the controller for one game?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If someone spends enough time on a game and enjoys it, does it really matter whether or not they only use the controller for one game?
Even so, I do think the price is a little too high to not at least try to get other use out of it.
That and the GC controller is just plain a good, comfortable controller in general where it works.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Even so, I do think the price is a little too high to not at least try to get other use out of it.
That and the GC controller is just plain a good, comfortable controller in general where it works.
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great controller and I'd love to see more games use it, I just think whether or not the investment is worth it at the moment is fairly subjective, is all.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
You can use it for just about anything, depending on the time you put into making it work. The adapter/controller works with Dolphin, and there are programs to make it work as a generic PC controller.

I don't have a ton of Switch games yet but I know it works with Mario Kart 8, which is a pretty major one beside Smash Bros.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You can use it for just about anything, depending on the time you put into making it work. The adapter/controller works with Dolphin, and there are programs to make it work as a generic PC controller.

I don't have a ton of Switch games yet but I know it works with Mario Kart 8, which is a pretty major one beside Smash Bros.
Yeah, maybe I was a bit too specific by naming PC.
It was good for Starbound, but unusable for Skyrim. With that, I tried to compensate for the lack of a ZL button by trying to map crude analog controls with Xpadder to replace the sprint button, but I never got that working right.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
IIRC you can use GC for any Switch games that are compatible with the Pro Controller, although it's possible some functionality might be missing. (Motion controls being a prime example)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
IIRC you can use GC for any Switch games that are compatible with the Pro Controller, although it's possible some functionality might be missing. (Motion controls being a prime example)
Well, yes, that's what this thread is for, to sort out the ones with missing functionality.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, I just don't think it's very wise to only get a controller for only one game
If that's your mentality, then you SHOULDN'T get one.

The Switch Gamecube controllers literally ONLY exist for Melee nutjobs who are incapable of moving on.

If you aren't one of those people, just get a Pro Controller and enjoy the fact that it works with everything and that you are sane.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meh, I use the Gamecube controller because it works suprisingly well for many games I own for Switch on TV mode (more so when I am denied of buying a Pro Controller).

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If that's your mentality, then you SHOULDN'T get one.

The Switch Gamecube controllers literally ONLY exist for Melee nutjobs who are incapable of moving on.

If you aren't one of those people, just get a Pro Controller and enjoy the fact that it works with everything and that you are sane.
Or people who like to play old GC games, or Wii games, or any old Virtual Console game on Wii/Wii U with something familiar that doesn't involve motion controls or the awful gamepad. Nothing hurts you for enjoying both. I like the GC controller for Smash due to the button layout being more friendly to how I hold the controller - I was having issues with the A button being so close to the edge of the controller on the pro con. And the octagonal gate helps with recovery angles.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Or people who like to play old GC games, or Wii games, or any old Virtual Console game on Wii/Wii U with something familiar that doesn't involve motion controls or the awful gamepad.
None of which are on the Switch, so...

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
None of which are on the Switch, so...
And? Did you read the whole OP? This thread isn't solely dedicated to uses with the Switch. I literally listed multiple other reasons to have one, other than being a "melee nutjob". A gamecube controller is still a gamecube controller, boss. No fancy Switch hookups that weren't also required for the Wii U. Meaning anyone could have gotten a new controller with a very well-loved design that has seen very limited production since since 2012, to replace your crusty ones from 2002 if you still enjoy "retro" games. Still being able to use them for every Smash game to date is just a plus.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Hey, I just like the layout. I think it's comfortable. And I'm not alone, I have met numerous people who aren't Smash players AT ALL say they preferred that face button layout.
I have a GC-styled Switch Pro controller, which has the benefit of the missing buttons, and I use that for a lot more games than just Smash. Heck, I even use it for more consoles than Nintendo consoles, with the help of Mayflash's adapter. I find it very good for PS3 games.
(I do have an original GC controller, but I also have a Wii to use it with.
I don't appreciate the flamebait, at any rate.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
Sorry, but the Gamecube controller isn't so great that you should go out of your way to use it on other systems.

Yeah, you CAN use it for other things. But the entire reason NINTENDO keeps putting them out is because of annoying Melee pricks. And if you aren't one of those pricks, there's no reason to bother.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
User was warned for this post
Sorry, but the Gamecube controller isn't so great that you should go out of your way to use it on other systems.

Yeah, you CAN use it for other things. But the entire reason NINTENDO keeps putting them out is because of annoying Melee pricks. And if you aren't one of those pricks, there's no reason to bother.
Pardon my language, but piss off, you elitist little hypocrite.
If you don't want people to bash you for how you play, don't ****ing do it yourself.

It's fine to not like the GCC. It's fine to not like Melee. But don't treat people who do the same way you accuse them of treating you.

This isn't even about the game or the controller. I used to be like you, but then I realized how much of a prick I was being by doing that. It's part of why I left this place for four years, to take a good long look at how I was acting.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283

Very sorry to hear you have such disdain toward Melee players. They're generally not that bad.

There's still something called 'preference' and it doesn't have anything to do with Melee. Sure I'd use the procon for other games, just not for Smash due to the button layout not being comfortable for that game. When the Ultimate GC controller was in production, it was only $30. Hardly a costly sacrifice for something OEM to play the way you want, without having to try to mess with adapters or 3rd party garbage. And I get the positive of being able to play classics if I want, with a controller that isn't dangling on its last legs.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also, quite hording CRTs ya weirdos. They're small and they're heavy and they cut off the picture in the corners!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It’s good for the final fantasy games so you’re not tempted to use the cheats. You can’t click with the stick.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I bought a third party adaptor that tricks the switch into thinking a GameCube controller is a pro controller and it makes games like the warriors game a lot more fun.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I bought a third party adaptor that tricks the switch into thinking a GameCube controller is a pro controller and it makes games like the warriors game a lot more fun.
Mine acts similarly. It's the MayFlash Wii U/PC GC adapter, so I don't know how the official Switch adapter treats it.
Of course, I use my PowerA more often, but it's nice to have around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Mega Man collections are generally fine with the right configurations, though there are a few issues:

Mega Man 7 (Legacy Collection 2) - Can't access Auto's shop from the stage select screen since there's no minus button.
Mega Man 10 (Legacy Collection 2) - See above, though you can still select it if you clear a level or get a game over.
Mega Man X Legacy Collections in general - Can't access the collection options menu during gameplay without unplugging the controller and plugging it back in, due to the lack of a minus button.
Mega Man X6 (X Legacy Collection 2) - Minor, but can't click the right stick to speak to Alia.
Mega Man X7 (X Legacy Collection 2) - See X6. There are also too few buttons to have access to every vital action.
Mega Man X8 (X Legacy Collection 2) - See X6 again. You also can't access Palette's shop from the stage select screen by clicking the right stick, but like Auto's shop in MM10, you can still select it after leaving a level.

As for other games, Sonic Mania, Octopath Traveler, and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon work fine due to them not requiring that many buttons, though you may want to configure the latter to feel more natural (like changing the jump from B to A and the standard attack from Y to B).

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and its expansion/supplement game, Torna ~ The Golden Country) and Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition are missing vital actions.

Konami Anniversary Collection: Arcade Classics requires clicking the right stick to access the staff credits and each game's respective manuals, while the minus button is used to access each game's options menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I use my Gamecube controllers for making money. I have 4 controllers and an adapter unopened in my drawer. The already tripled in value since I’ve ordered them in October 2018.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Generally can be used for many switch games, although I will admit some you'll have to spend time to get used to the layout, especially for the face buttons, as they are different. The better question is what doesn't work really. The two games that come to mind has to be Pokemon Let's Go and Super Mario Party as you will not even get past the title screen using them and pro controllers. I can understand Mario Party but it bothers me how I can't even use a Pro Controller on Pokemon. Makes less sense now that a pokeball with 2 buttons plays it just fine and you can also play the game in handheld mode.

D

Deleted member

I just noticed Tropical Freeze isn't on the list. It's best to use the "alternate" controls for this one.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Generally can be used for many switch games, although I will admit some you'll have to spend time to get used to the layout, especially for the face buttons, as they are different. The better question is what doesn't work really. The two games that come to mind has to be Pokemon Let's Go and Super Mario Party as you will not even get past the title screen using them and pro controllers. I can understand Mario Party but it bothers me how I can't even use a Pro Controller on Pokemon. Makes less sense now that a pokeball with 2 buttons plays it just fine and you can also play the game in handheld mode.
I really hope Sword and shield allows you to play with the pro controller. It would be neat to play a main series Pokemon game with a GameCube controller again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Castlevania Anniversary Collection just came out, so I have some things of note to add.

Castlevania I-III, Castlevania: The Adventure, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge, and Kid Dracula all work fine. On the other hand, Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines just require some button configuration tweaking in their respective options menus to feel more natural.

As for the collection as a whole, if you want to access the collection options menu in order to create and load save states, change the screen size, etc., you'll have to press ZL, which the GameCube controller obviously doesn't have. But if you don't care about any of these, then don't worry.

Castlevania Anniversary Collection just came out, so I have some things of note to add.

Castlevania I-III, Castlevania: The Adventure, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge, and Kid Dracula all work fine. On the other hand, Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines just require some button configuration tweaking in their respective options menus to feel more natural.

As for the collection as a whole, if you want to access the collection options menu in order to create and load save states, change the screen size, etc., you'll have to press ZL, which the GameCube controller obviously doesn't have. But if you don't care about any of these, then don't worry.
Correction: Kid Dracula requires the select button to switch powers.

Top Bottom