• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what does everyone think of the plant??

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Personally, I'm not used to him but I do think he has a lot of options on baiting his opponents. Its WAAAYYY TOO EARLY TO SAY but I think he could be pretty good.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Yaay ANOTHER ****ing character with a ****ing projectile!!!1!!!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I count 13 characters without projectiles. There are 75 characters. So... yeah, it would be more unusual if he didn't have one.

I said it in the other thread, but I think the plant seems pretty promising. I bet as people get good with this character, opponents are just going to melt the moment they go off-stage.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
Plant is really good. Comeback is amazing and almost impossible to edge guard effectively. The damn thing is going to be everywhere for the next week or two, so I don't even want to bother playing characters that have to edge guard to do well.

Seriously, that might be the single best comeback in the entire game.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think he has potential. Definitely doesn't suit my playstyle so I'll leave it to others to push him to his limits.

That being said, he seems pretty heavy hitting for a... plant and his projectile seems pretty strong too. Get ready to see a bunch of players spam neutral B and down B online especially for doubles. Side B is something I think can be useful. You can take over a spot with it for a few seconds, forcing your opponent to go around to not get damaged which means you have some control over your opponent. It also wouldn't be bad for ledge trapping too. Up B has a lot of range horizontally and vertically so his recovery is far from bad. Overall I think he can be pretty good and I can't wait to see pros utilize him well.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
MY HEAD, the character.

I like him. I didn't expect to, but he's really fun.

...His weakness, from what I can see, is that he doesn't have good landing options. I could be wrong though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
A fighter I actually feel somewhat comfortable going offstage with. I like it.

Also, tip for dittos, Pitooie essentially hard counters the down special.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
MY HEAD, the character.

I like him. I didn't expect to, but he's really fun.

...His weakness, from what I can see, is that he doesn't have good landing options. I could be wrong though.
I've been using his dair like Rosalina's if that makes sense. Hit it early and trust it will beat most things below you if you don't direct challenge big hitboxes (like kinda come at uairs from the side). It has been pretty productive. I think you can use the down special to get down in some situations too, but I don't yet fully understand the properties of the move so I don't fully trust it yet either.

I think the big weakness is that his mobility is seriously not good and that is really pesky with how low his grab range is and how precise you have to be with bair and usmash which can make it hard to finish a stock against a defensive opponent. You do have set-up tools though; I've been dropping poison clouds to try to force people to deal with me, and I bet the neutral special could be used to do stuff like that too.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What fighting games are you playing.
....That's what I should be asking you.

Projectiles are very abundant in most fighting games. Street Fighter, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Guilty Gear, Blazblu, etc. It's more difficult to make a list of competent fighting games that don't have that many projectiles.

So what fighting games are you actually playing?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
His neutral game seems pretty terrible because of the end lag on his aerials meaning you can only auto-cancel on full hop, but once he does actually get into an advantageous state, he has a ton of tools to keep opponents under pressure.

NGW

Smash Cadet
So far he's been really fun. Some really good moves with kill potential and a great recovery. Looking forward to getting better with him.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Honestly still a bit salty, but Piranha Plant is definitely a lot of fun. An interesting moveset for sure. AMAZING recovery. Amazing Up Smash. Over B special is definitely a difference maker if you can nail it. Down B could be lethal if you get the timing down, but it seems like it could be challenging to perfect.

Overall I'm happy with the Plant!

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
After playing a bit more as him I think his tilts and aerials are very "meh". Maybe it's just that I'm not used to him though. His best moves seem to be his specials. I still think he has potential but at the same time he has a lot of disadvantages. I'm sure someone can prove me wrong though and win tournaments with him.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Super fun from a casual perspective, but too different from what I’m used to to be an actual main for me. Can’t wait to see what others do though :)

ObsidianPlague

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Piranha Plant was just...kind of pointless to have if i'm being honest
it's neat he's in and all but i'm dumbfounded he made it in instead of Waluigi.
thanks twitter you've definitely helped Waluigi get in

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
....That's what I should be asking you.

Projectiles are very abundant in most fighting games. Street Fighter, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Guilty Gear, Blazblu, etc. It's more difficult to make a list of competent fighting games that don't have that many projectiles.

So what fighting games are you actually playing?
The ones where projectiles arent rampant and powerful enough to screw up the game like items do. Where characters mostly have 1 projectile most of the time and not 2,3 and/or long reach hitboxes. The ones where you dont notice how many characters have projectiles because of how subtle they are. The real question is, why are you comparing smash to other FGs, why does that matter. Smash bros never had nearly as many as it does now and, thats why its a complaint now.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The ones where projectiles arent rampant and powerful enough to screw up the game like items do. Where characters mostly have 1 projectile most of the time and not 2,3 and/or long reach hitboxes. The ones where you dont notice how many characters have projectiles because of how subtle they are. The real question is, why are you comparing smash to other FGs, why does that matter. Smash bros never had nearly as many as it does now and, thats why its a complaint now.
By percentage 4 has more projectile characters than Ultimate factoring in the plant (it's 17.3% vs 17.2% without so very close I guess). The Smash game with the fewest projectile characters as a percentage of the cast was smash 64 with 25% of the cast not having projectiles. I don't think you have a realistic view of what this series is and has always been, and this also has little to do with Piranha Plant who pretty obviously has useful projectiles but is definitely not a projectile zoner like Villager or whatever.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The ones where projectiles arent rampant and powerful enough to screw up the game like items do.
Which games are those?

Where characters mostly have 1 projectile most of the time and not 2,3 and/or long reach hitboxes. The ones where you dont notice how many characters have projectiles because of how subtle they are.
Deadshot and Deathstroke in Injustice; Testament, Eddy and Venom in Guilty Gear; Gardevoir, Braixen and Chandelure in Pokken; Akuma's aerial hadoukens in Street Fighter which is a big deal; Deadpool, Dr. Doom and Morrigan's infamous Bullet Hell in Marvel vs Capcom 3:

Some of these games even use assist characters that provide more projectile pressure.

The real question is, why are you comparing smash to other FGs, why does that matter. Smash bros never had nearly as many as it does now and, thats why its a complaint now.
Because despite being a different kind of fighting game, there will always be similarities in their fundamentals. Some comparisons are inevitable.

Smash actually started giving its characters more than one projectile since Melee when they introduced Side Specials, particularly to Samus and Link. Falco also existed and he only needed one projectile to be extremely oppressive. Entries that came afterwards are no exception. Brawl introduced characters with some emphasis on projectiles such as Olimar, Dedede, Diddy Kong, ROB and Snake. Smash 4 and Ultimate did the same as well.
I don't see how this is a complaint now when it has been like this almost always.

I'd say that given the platforms, different stage layouts and freedom of movement, projectiles are actually less oppressive in Smash games as they are in other fighting games.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I... don't have him. I got a digital copy of the game with the DLC season pass yet I didn't get him after updating the game fully... am I missing something?

ObsidianPlague

Smash Rookie
I... don't have him. I got a digital copy of the game with the DLC season pass yet I didn't get him after updating the game fully... am I missing something?
If I remember correctly, DLC is being sent out via email.
Did you check your email?

Last edited:

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Do you have your my nintendo account connected to an email you have access to??
Have you also gotten the code??

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I was confused over Piranha Plant's side tilt when I first tried it out as it appeared to have zero knockback. However, once figuring out that it's a two part side tilt, like Snake's, then it made much more sense. I think the problem was that the animation for the first attack of the side tilt gave no indication that there was a follow up for the second attack of the side tilt.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If I remember correctly, DLC is being sent out via email.
Did you check your email?
Do you have your my nintendo account connected to an email you have access to??
Have you also gotten the code??
just went through all my nintendo e-mails... I never recieved a code... I have the e-mail sent to confirm i bought the game and the DLC but no code....

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
just went through all my nintendo e-mails... I never recieved a code... I have the e-mail sent to confirm i bought the game and the DLC but no code....
Check promotions if you haven't already. I know others including myself having to check it and it was there.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Check your spam if you havent already I think some people had their email in spam

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Just plain fun. I can imagine a lot of ledge mind games around poison cloud and notGordo.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Check promotions if you haven't already. I know others including myself having to check it and it was there.
it's not there... but the oldest mail in there is from Nov. 28th. I pre-ordered Nov. 8th... looking at the nintendo website it says I was supposed to get it 10 days after pre-order.... meaning it might have been deleted out of my spam folder... calling nintendo first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Which games are those?

Deadshot and Deathstroke in Injustice; Testament, Eddy and Venom in Guilty Gear; Gardevoir, Braixen and Chandelure in Pokken; Akuma's aerial hadoukens in Street Fighter which is a big deal; Deadpool, Dr. Doom and Morrigan's infamous Bullet Hell in Marvel vs Capcom 3:

Some of these games even use assist characters that provide more projectile pressure.

Because despite being a different kind of fighting game, there will always be similarities in their fundamentals. Some comparisons are inevitable.

Smash actually started giving its characters more than one projectile since Melee when they introduced Side Specials, particularly to Samus and Link. Falco also existed and he only needed one projectile to be extremely oppressive. Entries that came afterwards are no exception. Brawl introduced characters with some emphasis on projectiles such as Olimar, Dedede, Diddy Kong, ROB and Snake. Smash 4 and Ultimate did the same as well.
I don't see how this is a complaint now when it has been like this almost always.

I'd say that given the platforms, different stage layouts and freedom of movement, projectiles are actually less oppressive in Smash games as they are in other fighting games.
I disagree with everything you said

Arthur97

Smash Master
One thing to note is that only one move uses fire despite that being one of more famous breeds of Piranha Plant.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
A chargable projection side special is weird to me. I feel like it would be more natural for the side and neutral specials to be swapped, but that's also only from playing him for an hour or two.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I don't think you have a realistic view of what this series is and has always been.
Lmao. Tell me whats it about then. Playing with friends together on a couch with all items and stage hazards on is what id assume.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Lmao. Tell me whats it about then. Playing with friends together on a couch with all items and stage hazards on is what id assume.
What game settings you prefer has a lot of factors that go into it, and it's also irrelevant here. It's just a statement of reality that projectiles have been a core part of the gameplay of every Smash game; most characters have them. Do you think that you have to be a raging causal to, I dunno, hit the B button when playing? We don't need a dissection of the philosophy of Smash to realize that a tool possessed by most of the cast is something that is maybe an important part of the game. I really don't even understand how you can look at using a character's projectiles and randomly spawning items that work the same for every character and see something with even vague similarity; your positions make literally no sense to me. Your icons indicate that the characters you use are Ness and Wolf even; do you just literally refuse to hit B with those two? They have projectiles and not projectiles of small usefulness either! I also don't understand why, even now, you're aggressively pursuing this point in a thread discussing early impressions of the Piranha Plant, a character with fairly average projectiles as far as I can tell. Like... what's even your deal here?

I don't really have anything to add about the plant at this time. I'm definitely done arguing about the value of using the type of move that is possessed by over 80% of the cast; this has been one of the strangest arguments I've seen in a very long time...

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
A chargable projection side special is weird to me. I feel like it would be more natural for the side and neutral specials to be swapped, but that's also only from playing him for an hour or two.
That makes even less sense, since his Neutral B starts off going upwards, something that doesn't seem right to be Side B.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
What game settings you prefer has a lot of factors that go into it, and it's also irrelevant here. It's just a statement of reality that projectiles have been a core part of the gameplay of every Smash game; most characters have them. Do you think that you have to be a raging causal to, I dunno, hit the B button when playing? We don't need a dissection of the philosophy of Smash to realize that a tool possessed by most of the cast is something that is maybe an important part of the game. I really don't even understand how you can look at using a character's projectiles and randomly spawning items that work the same for every character and see something with even vague similarity; your positions make literally no sense to me. Your icons indicate that the characters you use are Ness and Wolf even; do you just literally refuse to hit B with those two? They have projectiles and not projectiles of small usefulness either! I also don't understand why, even now, you're aggressively pursuing this point in a thread discussing early impressions of the Piranha Plant, a character with fairly average projectiles as far as I can tell. Like... what's even your deal here?

I don't really have anything to add about the plant at this time. I'm definitely done arguing about the value of using the type of move that is possessed by over 80% of the cast; this has been one of the strangest arguments I've seen in a very long time...
I dont ever remember projectiles being this bad in smash. My last game was ssbb so obviously **** changed alot with the later 2. And i dont have a ssbu main but i use falcon the most so now u see where most my disdain comes from. I would complain about how this ****ing plant has ARMOR TOO but

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I dont ever remember projectiles being this bad in smash. My last game was ssbb so obviously **** changed alot with the later 2. And i dont have a ssbu main but i use falcon the most so now u see where most my disdain comes from. I would complain about how this ****ing plant has ARMOR TOO but
Then you should replay previous Smash games to refresh your memoery because the situation with projectiles has been there since Melee. Every new Smash game makes the roster bigger, so that obviously means that more playstyles are added to the table, including more characters with projectiles. Falco and Olimar in Brawl are more oppressive than the stuff you play against in the newer games. Disagreeing with it doesn't stop facts from being facts.

NGW

Smash Cadet
It makes even less sense if you swap them.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Then you should replay previous Smash games to refresh your memoery because the situation with projectiles has been there since Melee. Every new Smash game makes the roster bigger, so that obviously means that more playstyles are added to the table, including more characters with projectiles. Falco and Olimar in Brawl are more oppressive than the stuff you play against in the newer games. Disagreeing with it doesn't stop facts from being facts.
But your not saying facts though

Top Bottom