• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, show of hands -- who's actually happy that we can't taunt during netplay?

Tell me how you REALLY feel....

• Taunting is cool, we should be able to do it. Learn to manage your emotions.

Votes: 142 88.8%
  • Taunting sucks, it's salt-inducing. Just save it for CPUs and couch play.

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The animators worked hard on those taunts, they should be available in all modes.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Dance all you want. It doesn't bother me. Tea bagging is disrespectful due to it having its sexual nature, however.
Ya Luigi cowering in fear or WFT down on their hands practically kissing the floor are really hitting that sexual nature level we need to watch out for. Actually I also recall now that Villager looks like they are slamming their face into the ground. That one is really pushing it!

Better cut :ultbayonetta: as well.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Because too many people get tilted when they lose a stock and their opponent taunts.
Seriously, people are getting triggered because of taunts?

I don't have the game yet, but if I had to make a prediction just based on my experience with other games that tried this, unofficial taunts will become much more present in this game for this reason alone. Teabagging will become a new standard for characters who can't do other funny taunts.

It would be much more triggering than before.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
True, but you can't talk about taunting online without talking about teabagging simply because of how the removal of the clearly better option lead to a widespread implementation of the worse option.
I can when the post I was responding to expressly talked about how they were glad taunts were disabled, and that people who felt the need to use the taunts need to manage their emotions. That's the part of the post I was responding to.

Teabagging hasn't been disabled, ergo, teabagging doesn't relate to my response.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ya Luigi cowering in fear or WFT down on their hands practically kissing the floor are really hitting that sexual nature level we need to watch out for. Actually I also recall now that Villager looks like they are slamming their face into the ground. That one is really pushing it!

Better cut :ultbayonetta: as well.
You do realize it has to do with the meaning, not the animation, right?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
**** it lets actively go out and do teabag parties and see if Nintendo gets rid of crouching too.

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
It does suck that you can't taunt online, but it isn't too bad, since there are still unofficial taunts in the game.

By "unofficial taunt," I mean an action used to anger your foe that doesn't involve pressing the taunt button.

For example, DeDeDe's crouch, Charizard's walk, Junior's d-tilt and crawls in general (especially Lucario's, because it's just so ****ing weird).
You can also just do some techskill, like dash-dancing, moonwalking and wavedashing, to rub in your opponent's face that you're better than them.

Last edited:

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
I would prefer taunts because people are just gonna do something worse like t bagging anyways so who cares :pikachu:

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Coming from a Ryu main, I miss my FA>d-taunt>shoryu. Ultimate way to style on your opponent and show that your going to taunt in front of their face, kill them, and there’s nothing they can do about it.

Plus people will just taunt in other ways, t-bag, dedede crouch, crawls, etc..

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Teabagging is pretty immature, but it's the only real way to taunt if your fighter doesn't have a good unofficial taunt. So when either me or my opponent teabags, it's more like a message "I would taunt, but I ca't. Really sucks, right?" And usually whoever respawns teabags for a moment before fighting again. Has happened multiple times for me.

pH1988

Smash Rookie
Except when a mirror match actually happens, then the very first thing that happens is both teabagging, both players probably laughing they can't believe a mirror match actually happened online. I had a replay saved during a tourney where two gannondorfs began doing that at the beginning. I saved one recently with a Daisy mirror just because of that.

Sometimes it's just hilarious to me either way.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Anyone have some creative unofficial taunts?

I like crouching twice as Ivysaur. The noise accompanying it makes it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Anyone have some creative unofficial taunts?

I like crouching twice as Ivysaur. The noise accompanying it makes it.
I usually use neutral B for whatever my fighter is unless they have something better. For example, when I get a kill as Incineroar, I'll use Darkest Lariat until they respawn. It's pretty funny.

XxDiCaprioxX

Smash Rookie
There is literally no reason to deny the Player Taunts. Because you can still taunt just by Teabagging. Also I dont understand why Teabagging should be less salt-inducing. Also a Taunt looks waaaaaay better and isnt that stupid. If you do it like in Smash 4 with 3 Taunts a Match, there wont be any Abuse

pH1988

Smash Rookie
There is literally no reason to deny the Player Taunts. Because you can still taunt just by Teabagging. Also I dont understand why Teabagging should be less salt-inducing. Also a Taunt looks waaaaaay better and isnt that stupid. If you do it like in Smash 4 with 3 Taunts a Match, there wont be any Abuse
I'm sorry but when I have an opponent rage quit, I like to be able to spam Peach's side taunt...haha.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Since people have found a way around it (t-bagging) i think they could bring it back.

But i like the idea behind Nintendos concept of banning taunts. Basically everytime when there is a chat people with small self esteem and non existent sportsmanship use the anonymity of the internet to push their ego coping their last loss or troll people.
I like to compare it to real life sports. Would you taunt your enemy in a real life tennis match ? I guess most people who taunt online or write troll messages in chat wont do this in real life.

I personally just text hfgl and well played in smash and don’t t bag. When i come across a t bagger i just think to myself that this is a troll and move on with my life.

Taunting is for playing with friends who know you well. On the internet you shouldn’t be taunting because you might ruin someones mood more than necessary if this someone isn’t emotionally stabile.

Last edited:

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
Taunting is for playing with friends who know you well. On the internet you shouldn’t be taunting because you might ruin someones mood more than necessary if this someone isn’t emotionally stabile.
It's my thought that if you can't handle someone taunting against you in an online game, you probably should find something else to do with your free time. Not trying to be overly harsh, but frustrating as some things can be in any heated head to head competition, dealing with taunts in Smash has to be pretty low on the list of irritants.

Now, I'm not going to completely absolve those who set out with the intention of pushing sensitive players over the edge, either, just play reasonably respectfully, and taunts shouldn't ever be seen as a problem. But for those who are bothered, they have to realize if they don't overreact, people are going to be less prone to antagonize them.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sakurai said that taunting is part of the reason why Smash is different from every other fighting game. If players can't handle being taunted on they shouldn't be online in the first place. This fanbase needs to learn how to control their emotions.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Sakurai said that taunting is part of the reason why Smash is different from every other fighting game. If players can't handle being taunted on they shouldn't be online in the first place. This fanbase needs to learn how to control their emotions.
But emotional control is hard.

Crosser

Smash Rookie
Since people have found a way around it (t-bagging) i think they could bring it back.

But i like the idea behind Nintendos concept of banning taunts. Basically everytime when there is a chat people with small self esteem and non existent sportsmanship use the anonymity of the internet to push their ego coping their last loss or troll people.
I like to compare it to real life sports. Would you taunt your enemy in a real life tennis match ? I guess most people who taunt online or write troll messages in chat wont do this in real life.

I personally just text hfgl and well played in smash and don’t t bag. When i come across a t bagger i just think to myself that this is a troll and move on with my life.

I guess you don't watch professional sports. Those guys talk crap to each other all the time. Just look at all the taunting and smack talk that goes on the weeks before a boxing match. People might wanna stay out of single player too, since the CPU's taunt as well :rotfl:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Really ? I never thought he would say something like that. Well i think you can argue if taunting is good or bad. I wouldn’t mind if it would came back into the game. Most of the time i can ignore it or even win the game after a guy t bags.
But I’m clearly for being nice and respectful online because I’m a person who likes peace.

Why exactly would you taunt if it was possible? I would like to know what you want to get across with taunting. What do you want the other person to feel. (This is just me being curious :D)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Really ? I never thought he would say something like that. Well i think you can argue if taunting is good or bad. I wouldn’t mind if it would came back into the game. Most of the time i can ignore it or even win the game after a guy t bags.
But I’m clearly for being nice and respectful online because I’m a person who likes peace.

Why exactly would you taunt if it was possible? I would like to know what you want to get across with taunting. What do you want the other person to feel. (This is just me being curious :D)
Probably the most generic taunt I have but usually a good taunt. The only taunts I refuse to use are the ones that are meant to be salt inducing, like Peach's side taunt or Sonic's "you're too slow!" Although the latter was removed.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Taunts are a great part of Smash (and should be in quickplay) precisely because you have a way to respond to them. Someone taunting getting you mad? Good. Get mad. Get motivated. Then body them and wipe that smile off their face. And when you're on that victory screen, make sure to let em know who's laughing now with one of those predetermined comments you can assign to a button.

Last edited:

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
Well its kind of a 50/50, sure taunting could be extremely toxic and rage inducing, but that might not be the worst thing. Some taunts are extraordinary rage inducing, like Donkey Kong's down taunt, that, that leaves scars man. But, either way I would have to say that it doesn't matter what Nintendo does to remove toxic players, they would always find a way around it, like now, without taunting they use a substitute some deem "tea bagging" so yeah they would always find a way around it.

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Why add taunts when 90% of the plays are Online and you can't use it there? Some taunts are even tactical use (i.e. Luigi's down taunt and Snake's taunt)

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
Well, teabagging still exists, and that is arguably more disrespectful. I'd like to be able to taunt during countdown at the very least.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Bring back taunts! Bring back taunts! Bring back taunts!

Seriously though, we're going to find ways to make each other miserable no matter what, so at least bring back the option that makes it look less stupid. Plus some fighters have really lame t-bags. You don't understand how much this affects me when I realize I can't completely shatter someone's soul as Ganondorf...

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I feel more offended by being treated like a child that cant support taunts (or treated like a bully) than actually being taunted.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
They should allow taunts online B/C it encourages teabaging anyway with out it so you can never stop taunting & I'd rather have someone taunt at me then performing a lewd act to taunt me

I mean if sakurai feels taunting is a bad thing then why even put it in the game in the 1st place ?

Top Bottom