• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so ness can up b again after hitting a wall with pkt2

Morbi

Scavenger
Indeed. I saw that just yesterday, it is a very interesting development. Ness' recovery just became viable... on certain stages. :4jigglypuff:

Hong

The Strongest
This, combined with the speed and control over PK Thunder... Ness actually ended up with one of the better recoveries in this game.

Never thought I would see the day.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
OMG! NESS CAN RECOVER!!! AFTER 3 GAMES NESS CAN FINALLY RECOVER!!!!!! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!! THEY HEARD OUR PRAYERS!!!!! THE SMASH TEAM HEARD OUR PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SAKURAI AND THE SMASH TEAM!!!

Hong

The Strongest
T-T our prayers, they did hear them
OMG! NESS CAN RECOVER!!! AFTER 3 GAMES NESS CAN FINALLY RECOVER!!!!!! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!! THEY HEARD OUR PRAYERS!!!!! THE SMASH TEAM HEARD OUR PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SAKURAI AND THE SMASH TEAM!!!

It takes nine prayers for Paula to defeat Giygas.

But only four to give Ness a good recovery.:4dedede:

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Man, I keep wanting more and more to main Ness.

And now this just put the cherry on top. Sure, it looks tricky to pull off, but even if you might just be a big target for your opponent, the shocks can knock them down if they try that, plus it's quick and easy.

Atta boy, Ness. Atta boy.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice

It takes nine prayers for Paula to defeat Giygas.

But only four to give Ness a good recovery.:4dedede:
Ahhh, I see what you did there. But yes, a viable recovery is what I always wanted for ness since the 64 one. (God, that recovery was bad then, at least to me.)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PKT2 stops (or gets its distance severely cut) when hitting opponents. People can take advantage of this by intentionally getting hit by PKT2 and teching to not die.

So theory, if someone is obviously trying to do this to you, instead of PKT2ing towards the ledge (and probably not making it), PKT2 into the wall (closer distance), knock them the **** outta there, and then PKT2 to the ledge?

Mr. Pinecone

Smash Rookie
I was playing around with this and noticed something on stages with vertical walls.
If you do PK Thunder with a more diagonal angle, you can only do this on the right side of the stage. :S I recorded this video:

You seem to get a completely different kind of impact depending on what side of the stage you're on. On the right side it interrupts PKT2 but on the left side it continues, and you won't be able to do a second one.
Or am I just doing something wrong lol. Please someone else try this haha.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
YES!

MorbidAltruism - Haha, it's funny seeing your main icons, all Ganondorf and then Jiggly at the end. XD

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I was playing around with this and noticed something on stages with vertical walls.
If you do PK Thunder with a more diagonal angle, you can only do this on the right side of the stage. :S I recorded this video:

You seem to get a completely different kind of impact depending on what side of the stage you're on. On the right side it interrupts PKT2 but on the left side it continues, and you won't be able to do a second one.
Or am I just doing something wrong lol. Please someone else try this haha.
Im a little confused. In the beginning of your vid you in fact did succeed in doing it on the left side of the stage....

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Looks to me like the Smash Bros. version of Ness finally went through Magicant! He now has Jesus powers and his bat has 100% chance to cause a SMAAAASH!!!! attack.

In all seriousness, this new mechanic actually changes a lot for Ness. This + the fact that PSI Thunder is a tiny bit easier to control and seemingly faster, makes Ness actually viable for recovering now. It really looks like Sakurai carefully examined Ness this time around, as he seems all-around better.

Now I'll wait until the Wii U version, in which I'll hone my skills as Ness beating the living **** out of Marth for grab-releasing him all these years.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Looks to me like the Smash Bros. version of Ness finally went through Magicant! He now has Jesus powers and his bat has 100% chance to cause a SMAAAASH!!!! attack.

In all seriousness, this new mechanic actually changes a lot for Ness. This + the fact that PSI Thunder is a tiny bit easier to control and seemingly faster, makes Ness actually viable for recovering now. It really looks like Sakurai carefully examined Ness this time around, as he seems all-around better.

Now I'll wait until the Wii U version, in which I'll hone my skills as Ness beating the living **** out of Marth for grab-releasing him all these years.
Now that Marth has been nerfed it should be an interesting match. Hurray for no more grab release BS! At least for Ness, Wario still has it.

Masked Man

Smash Rookie
I'm so happy they made some neat changes to his Up-B rather than revamping it all together. PK Thunder as an interesting mechanic was one of the reasons I mained him in the first place, so it's good to see it becoming a bit more viable.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Nevermind, i didn't watch ninjalink.

I love this thread.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
BREAKING: SINGLE MECHANICS CHANGE TURNS YI:B FROM NESS' WORST STAGE TO HIS BEST STAGE IN ONE FELL SWOOP

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I've never gotten it to work... why? =/

It's probably a bug and not a feature of him... =(

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I can get it to work, but the timing's a bit quick for me to handle.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I've never gotten it to work... why? =/

It's probably a bug and not a feature of him... =(
I can think of 2 reasons:
1. You're not actually bouncing off the stage, but sliding off. This will happen at most angles on stages like Yoshi's Island, on the left wall. You'll know if you bounce or not by seeing if you see the impact on the stage or not.
2. You're not pressing up b right after the bounce. Until you get used to the timing, you can just spam upb and you will see ness use it right after he rams himself into the stage

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
1. I know what bouncing and sliding is... I'm bouncing and not sliding...
2. So you should do it as soon as you can? I'll try it more later.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
After I posted that I couldn't do it last night I decided to try again and it worked.

:)

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
OK so I got it to work. You just gotta be really fast and it only works when you hit the wall in a straight horizontal angle.

ottobot

Smash Cadet
I've played around with this a bit and can confirm that above claims about it only working on the right of the stage are definitely false

Top Bottom