• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media So Link Is Kind of Dumb.....

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Yeah I said it, Link is DUMB. Especially in the beginning of this video, where the unthinkable happens!! I have more salt than K Rool mains who get told that their main is bad. Nah, for real tho, these are some cool Link highlights, and if you like smash highlights, here ya go.
If you want to be featured in my upcoming video series of people bodying me in smash bros, feel free to find me on twitch.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Friendly piece of advice — I'm sure you think you're clever for pulling a bait-and-switch subversion of a rant thread, and I would be inclined to agree, but I don't think it's a good idea to pull a joke like that, as you could get in trouble if a moderator doesn't catch on (or takes a cursory glance and assumes that this is a rant thread without bothering to take a closer look). Also, since your thread revolves around the video you posted, I would recommend putting a media tag on it.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Friendly piece of advice — I'm sure you think you're clever for pulling a bait-and-switch subversion of a rant thread, and I would be inclined to agree, but I don't think it's a good idea to pull a joke like that, as you could get in trouble if a moderator doesn't catch on (or takes a cursory glance and assumes that this is a rant thread without bothering to take a closer look). Also, since your thread revolves around the video you posted, I would recommend putting a media tag on it.
What do you even mean by bait and switch, and what do you even mean a rant thread? No one even ranted lol.
It's a showcasing in how dumb link is in a highlight video.

I'll note the media tag advice tho. Forgot that these forums had the option, some I've been to are restricted.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Bait-and-switch: Leading one to believe that some thing is different from what it actually is by initially presenting it as one thing, then suddenly revealing it to be another thing. While the term originally described a fraudulent marketing technique, it can be used to describe any situation where one is led to believe that a situation or thing is of a certain nature, but the situation or thing is later revealed to be completely different from the assumption the viewer had been led towards.

TL;DR: A bait-and-switch is deliberately creating a false first impression in order to set up some sort of surprise.

As for your bait-and-switch, your thread title and the first few sentences of your first post give the impression that the thread's purpose is to vent about frustrations with people who play as Link, probably in a vulgar and insulting manner, and threads of that nature are strictly forbidden. If you want a better explanation, ask a moderator.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Bait-and-switch: Leading one to believe that some thing is different from what it actually is by initially presenting it as one thing, then suddenly revealing it to be another thing.

As for your bait-and-switch, your thread title
The post is as described, and the video related to the described post. Title matches my description of the video. Link is dumb. Your perception of the slang term 'dumb' is different than mine, making your argument 100% subjective, and thus, irrelevant. My title stands as what it is meant to stand for, the fact that link is dumb. Besides, with your argument, who is to say I'm not trying to mislead people who are physically unable to speak with a medically defined "dumb" Link? You're trying too hard to look like some ambassador of self righteousness on a forums with your ranting, which you accused me initially of doing, falsely I might add. Congrats.

first post give the impression that the thread's purpose is to vent about frustrations
It's actually you who projected your subjective definitions of slang onto the title, not me.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Some Nonsense Post
Are you actually joking right now? If you're not then stop because it's an embarrassment
most people on this platform havethe ability to comprehend what context is. I see no contextual deception in either his title or his texted post.

I see a title that says link is dumb which in context is true and a shorthand amount of text to both describe the video content and tell a King K joke. I feel like you're just looking for something needless to complain about to be honest.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
How does one get into an arena with you? You can destroy me for all your viewers and put the whole set into your next highlight video if you want. I just kind of want some Link practice against someone who won't leave after 1-2 games.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
How does one get into an arena with you? You can destroy me for all your viewers and put the whole set into your next highlight video if you want. I just kind of want some Link practice against someone who won't leave after 1-2 games.
link is one of my 3 pocket picks. we can maybe play some tomorrow when I'm home. i dont think my link is as cracked out as his but matchup experience is matchup experience

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The post is as described, and the video related to the described post. Title matches my description of the video. Link is dumb. Your perception of the slang term 'dumb' is different than mine, making your argument 100% subjective, and thus, irrelevant. My title stands as what it is meant to stand for, the fact that link is dumb. Besides, with your argument, who is to say I'm not trying to mislead people who are physically unable to speak with a medically defined "dumb" Link? You're trying too hard to look like some ambassador of self righteousness on a forums with your ranting, which you accused me initially of doing, falsely I might add. Congrats.

It's actually you who projected your subjective definitions of slang onto the title, not me.
Are you actually joking right now? If you're not then stop because it's an embarrassment
most people on this platform havethe ability to comprehend what context is. I see no contextual deception in either his title or his texted post.

I see a title that says link is dumb which in context is true and a shorthand amount of text to both describe the video content and tell a King K joke. I feel like you're just looking for something needless to complain about to be honest.
I'm not the one looking for things to complain about, I'm just worried that the site staff might get the wrong idea.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I'm not the one looking for things to complain about, I'm just worried that the site staff might get the wrong idea.
You're not looking for things to complain about? You accused me of concocting a ruse to 'bait' people yourself. See exhibit A below, sir. Don't pretend that you're 'worried' that staff might not be competent enough to understand context, because they do. Don't pin your actions and approach to me on them.

Friendly piece of advice — I'm sure you think you're clever for pulling a bait-and-switch subversion of a rant thread, and I would be inclined to agree, but I don't think it's a good idea to pull a joke like that
^ that's a pretty messed up, slanderous accusation sir.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You're not looking for things to complain about? You accused me of concocting a ruse to 'bait' people yourself. See exhibit A below, sir. Don't pretend that you're 'worried' that staff might not be competent enough to understand context, because they do.

^ that's a pretty messed up, slanderous accusation sir.
I didn't accuse you of anything. I doubt you even realized the potential disaster you could bring upon yourself, so I felt I should give you a heads-up.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I didn't accuse you of anything. I doubt you even realized the potential disaster you could bring upon yourself, so I felt I should give you a heads-up.

Your Quote: "I'm sure you think you're clever for pulling a bait-and-switch subversion of a rant thread"

You not only accused me of it, you were specific in your accusation, and sure of yourself. have a nice day.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Your Quote: "I'm sure you think you're clever for pulling a bait-and-switch subversion of a rant thread"

You not only accused me of it, you were specific in your accusation, and sure of yourself. have a nice day.
All right, I didn't take the time to choose my words properly... my point is that the mods take destructive criticism seriously, and they don't take it lightly. Also, I did make a point of saying "I'd be inclined to agree with you" — my only issue here is the possibility that you could get yourself in trouble.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
All right, I didn't take the time to choose my words properly... my point is that the mods take destructive criticism seriously, and they don't take it lightly. Also, I did make a point of saying "I'd be inclined to agree with you" — my only issue here is the possibility that you could get yourself in trouble.
Staff can tell me if they ever have any issues. They're the staff. Thanks, bye.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
link is one of my 3 pocket picks. we can maybe play some tomorrow when I'm home. i dont think my link is as cracked out as his but matchup experience is matchup experience
I'm not gonna be able to play for a few days, but I'd be down this coming week sometime. I'm in Northeast, have LAN adapter. Should hopefully be fairly lagless. My FC is to your left if you'd like to add me.

I just realize that I only get to play maybe a quarter of the higher tier characters online when I'm by myself and tend to get blindsided by some of the ones I have little experience in when they do make an appearance. But they usually boot me from their arenas after a game or two.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I usually broadcast Monday - Friday, starting between 7:00PM and 8:00PM EST. So you can find me on twitch by looking for the username WatchmanOfTheEnd while I'm playing Arena.

I do 2 types of Arena. There is my tryhard arena where I take things seriously and edge guard taking stocks lower than 40% on a regular basis, and do my bomb junk.

Then, there is my cheese Arena, where I goof off and try to take stocks in weird ways, like exclusively using UpSpecial out of shield or only being allowed to use Nair and Bair but none of my specials or other tilts and aerials.

Really, it depends which Arena you rather be in.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Uhhh, probably the try hard arena. If I’m trying to go try hard myself, the cheesy stuff just annoys me. Lol.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Uhhh, probably the try hard arena. If I’m trying to go try hard myself, the cheesy stuff just annoys me. Lol.
As long as you're not one of those guys who complains in my chat when having stocks stylishly taken, or when you lose a game, and as long as you can take a lighthearted male-to-male insult emboldened by stereotypical testosterone driven male ego, then by all means, join any time. Just expect everyone to S%$# talk each other a lot because we do that when we're bodying someone. (we as in myself and the few regulars that play with me, like Durdle with his Lucas).

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'm not one to talk smack myself, but I don't mind it if it's all in good fun. I'm usually the type to be a bit more humble. But yeah I'll have to join sometime. As long as you don't boot people for getting bodied too much. That's what frustrates me about public arenas, if there's a decent sized skill gap, they get booted.

Top Bottom