• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ike is the first __________ character in Smash Bros series. (PoR & RD spoilers)

scotchtape622

Smash Cadet
Spoilers:
Wait, didn't Ike marry Elincia in RD if you have a transfer file with an A class support?

Zevox

Smash Lord
Spoilers:
Wait, didn't Ike marry Elincia in RD if you have a transfer file with an A class support?
I don't think so, no. From what I've heard, only Geoffrey can marry Elincia. Besides, Ike's ending in RD would make any such relationship with Elincia problematic, to say the absolute least.

Zevox

scotchtape622

Smash Cadet
I heard that it happened, but I haven't tested it out. I guess I'll do it in my next play through... I really wish I had Action Replay to beat PoR again... :ohwell: Oh well.

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is a homie too, well if Birdo is a boy.
Luigi acts pretty homie sometimes.
Marth acts like a chic, and looks like one.
Peach hangs around with Daisy too much.
Kirby sucks, so I don't think homie-sexuality is a new thing in Smash!

^_^ j/k

smashbot226

Smash Master
I don't think so, no. From what I've heard, only Geoffrey can marry Elincia. Besides, Ike's ending in RD would make any such relationship with Elincia problematic, to say the absolute least.

Zevox
Eww...

Geoffrey is Elincia's adopted brother...

It could be the other way around, but I know they're siblings.

That's just... wrong...

And for the record:

Kirby isn't a homosexual.

He's a homosuckual.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Eww...

That's just... wrong...
Not really. You're thinking of Lucia, whom is described as being Elincia's "milk sister" (they're not related by blood, but were raised together - I'm sure you can figure out what the saying refers to). Presumably, Geoffrey may be similar, since he is Lucia's older brother (although depending on how much older, he may not be in a similar situation - its never specified to my knowledge), but neither legally nor by blood are they related. Its much like the case of childhood friends who grow up playing together then become romantically involved later on, really.

Zevox

who8therice

Smash Cadet
I really hope it's true that Ike is gay.
He'll be the one I beat down my bros with and I'll say "Pwnt By GAY!"
And they'll be like "Awww man we just got pwnt by gay..."
And Ike will be like "I'm GAY!"
And then pwn some more.

scotchtape622

Smash Cadet
Where is the script translations? It is not like it matters, we are working with English canon anyway.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Well having a homosexual in a game wouldn't make it T. And I really doubt Brawl will have any reference to him being a homosexual, as it was never a storyline fueled game.

And if I'm not mistaken, Nintendo is shooting for an E rating this time around.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Ike isn't gay. Why do people always make these silly claims? -_-

Well anyway, now that I think about it, he doesn't show any signs of love for any of the females in his army. Soren though... >_>

<.< Just kidding.

Nodonn

Smash Cadet

That's just... Fire Emblem...
Fix'd that for ya

Cless

Smash Champion
Well having a homosexual in a game wouldn't make it T. And I really doubt Brawl will have any reference to him being a homosexual, as it was never a storyline fueled game.

And if I'm not mistaken, Nintendo is shooting for an E rating this time around.
I think it already go rated T.

Althalus89

Smash Cadet
It's simply a game with lots of fights...why'd the make it teen because onf ONE Gay guy fighting? If they haven't cleared RD and had the A conv with Soren they can't possibly tell he's gay...that's like banning the first FE because Priscilla and Raven are biological siblings(at least that's how I remeber it) and are definitly on the road of having incest...
for crying out loud this is a Smash game not a story game XD

Marvolo_Gaunt

Smash Rookie
Wu Tang Gang, you disgust me.

How dare you try and justify your extreme and irrational homophobic attitudes with obviously over exaggerated statistics about the percentage of society who express negative attitudes to homosexuals.

I myself am bisexual and male, and having to deal with this part of me (among other things) has lead to my clinical depression, anxiety and paranoia. Listening to excretory orifices like yourself is harmful.

Prejudice is pure evil that has been bred and grown by people who abuse their religion and religious beliefs and use it as an excuse to hate anyone they want. I, personally, am agnostic atheist, but I am not anti-religion.

I am pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-gender and racial equality and pro-freedom from intimidation and persecution.

You're just a horrible person with horrible beliefs about other people.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I've joined in a bit late, but here are my two cents anyway.

From a character designer's point of view, it can sometimes be quite fun to give the fans ideas about characters that aren't necessarily true. For instance, making a certain character appear completely gay and then adding more subtle evidence that he isn't builds interest in the character. It makes people who wanted a heterosexual character like him even more, and people who wanted a gay character to go "well he could still be gay..."

I'll use Kanmuri from Yakitate!! Japan! as an example:

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation/yakitate/character/image/kanmuri.jpg

First of all, this is a boy. Yes, believe it. Since his first appearance in the anime, Kanmuri comes across as being incredibly gay. He runs around serving bread to everyone, giggling effeminately and even has a little psudo-yaoi moment with the judge "Oh Kuro-yan, when we were back at Harvard you used to love me so much!"

However, later on in the series, a lot more evidence is put forth that shows that he may actually be heterosexual, including the ruined dream sequence where he's replaced for Kuroyagi's girlfriend during a romantic flashback (he screams and runs away, wiping his mouth).

This kind of ambiguity applies to Ike, I think. He has somewhat subtle homosexual tendencies, but there's also evidence in his character that he may simply just be the kind of guy who values friendship over romance.

It's this kind of creative manipulation that makes being a character designer so enjoyable.

Also, while I'm at it:

I did not see Raven and Priscilla's relationship to be hinting at incest in any way, and I'd gotten the A level support conversation between them. Basically, Raven and Priscilla played a wedding game when they were children, and it reminds Raven of old times and how much he missed his sister, which is why he brings it up. It's supposed to be taken figuratively.

As for Raven and Lucius, well Lucius really does look like a girl. If I were in Raven's boots, I'd probably make a remark about it as well. It's not just raven, many other characters mistake him for a female as well. Raven has gotten close enough to Lucius as a friend to be able to make jokes about his appearance.

But see, the way these support conversations are made are very clever, they can be interpreted however the player would like.

Oh, and Wu Tang Gang: I'm a practicing uniting church Christian, and let me tell you that we, as Christians, serve a gentle God who is the epitome of light and tolerance. Now do you think that a fair God would create humans who's personalities are adjusted so that they're forbidden His most important gift, love? People like you are the reason that everybody dislikes religion these days.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
Everyone get over it, Ike isn't going to make out with Snake in SSE(contrary to what you would think with Snake's grab), this is completely irrelevant to SSBB. I know that this thread will still get many posts and arguments, I just want people to know that this has nothing to do with THIS game.

LukewarmHoliday

Smash Cadet
Lol yeah i just got the A convo and i see what the TC means but i think the fact people think its gay is more of the fact still images with moving mouths don't show emotions very well. Ike and Soren are on the verge of breaking down in a battle Soren is more like a brother to Ike and if you saw your brother breaking down you would be persistant in trying to comfort him which is what Ike is doing.(Pyr0 sums it up quite nicely) Either way this is why Fire Emblem needs more animation or have several pictures to show emotion other than just 1 still pic with a moving mouth.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. This truly seems like a fangirl "ZOMG OFF TO FANFIC DOT COM!" thread. Why is it whenever one male character has a personal or very heart to heart conversation with another male it's always cause they're gay? Be it Naruto and Sasuke, Sora and Riku, and everything in between. This endless hope for romanticism is utterly annoying. Save it for your fanfics.

Possiblity? Yes. But that's the entire problem. It's always a theroy. I could just as easily say that between cutscenes and convos, Ike invites every female soldier to his room for an orgy every night. You can't prove this otherwise, as I can't disprove yours. That's because it's fiction. I can make the silliest excuses for anything fictional. Like Toad killed Bowser in every Mario game by moving so fast nobody on screen can see him.

The point? Take facts for facts. These may be intresting to discuss, but stating this as a fact as the thread title does with the intended word inserted is just wrong. The writers say who is who and what is what. If Ike loves Soren, it would be outright said, or implied a bit more heavily than the half ***** "hints" that fangirls take so seriously.

With that, I am ready to release the verdict of the case of the Ike from Fire Emblem. The court finds the character in question.....

N-o-t G-a-y. Court is adjourned.

(I want a Godot avatar now)

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
NESSBOUNDER = WIN. Also, though I'm joining late, I don't think Ike is gay. Haven't you ever scene Scrubs? or Boy Meets World? Some friendships get so close, people make jokes about them, including two of my male friends who have been friends for so long they seem gay, but both of them have girlfriends. I think it's just friendly banter in between fights...Nothing more, nothing less. If the game can't spell it out clear as day, then chances are, we're reading way to far into things that don't exist.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Um....I have an exact translation of GoD done by a Japanese exchange student that I go to school with, who is also a good friend of mine...and it says nothing even hinting of him being gay. Remember that the Japanese have a very different culture than we do.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
With that, I am ready to release the verdict of the case of the Ike from Fire Emblem. The court finds the character in question.....

N-o-t G-a-y. Court is adjourned.
. . . You realize that claiming to have a verdict on Ike's sexuality when you spent the first 3/4 of your post explaining why a verdict can't be reached is hypocritical, yeah?

If Ike's sexuality is such a mystery, then saying that he's definitively one way or another is silly regardless of which one you think he is. Saying he's positively gay may be a little overzealous, but saying he's positively straight isn't any better.

Granted, I've got basically all of my information on Ike from these boards, and there doesn't seem to be anything that proves he's straight (like a marriage or some kind of direct confession of affection ) based on what I've seen here. So if my information's wrong, by all means, correct me.

Smash Ace
*cue loud obnoxious voice* IKE... IS NOT... GAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!
real men can carry 2-handed swords in 1 hand.

BTW, this thread is ridiculous, as was my post.
=2007=

Pyr0

Smash Ace
EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS QUOTE:

Well I found it necessary to log in...here it is

-A Support-

Ike: Hey, Soren.
Soren: ...
Ike: I've been thinking a lot about what you said the other day, and there's
something I still don't understand. You survived. You're strong. Why would
you feel insecure about who you are? Tell me. Tell me everything.
Soren: Curse you! Why can't you leave me be?! I don't have any friends, Ike!
I don't have anyone else! If I tell you and you turn on me... I... I... I
don't think I can survive it.
Ike: That's why you have to tell me, Soren. You'll never tell anyone else.
And if you don't tell anyone, you're just going to keep suffering. Look at
you! You're a mess! Come on. Talk to me.
Soren: Ike... I... I...
Ike: Soren, it's me! Trust me. I don't give two figs who your parents are!
I'll stand by you.
Soren: Ike, I... sniff... No, I won't... sniff... Ah, Ike... ...I'm...
Branded. I'm one of the Branded.
Ike: A Branded? What's that?
Soren: It's a cross between a beorc and a laguz. Such a taboo violates
every teaching of the goddess. And of society. We are untouchables.
Abominations. Condemned to a life of hatred and shunning from both races.
Ike: Wait, wait. Hold it a second. Let me make sure that I follow you...
You're part laguz?
Soren: Yeah. This mark on my forehead is the proof. I learned about it
while researching ancient books at the Mainal Cathedral. I always thought it
was a birthmark. Others thought that it was the mark of a Spirit Charmer.
Ike: What's a Spirit Charmer?
Soren: Magic comes from interaction with spirits. If you let one into your
body, it will give you tremendous power... for a price. That's why the old
sage was so interested in me. He thought I had struck such a deal. But
instead, I was just a filthy Branded.
Ike: All right. I understand. So?
Soren: ...What do you mean, "so?"
Ike: So, you have laguz blood in your veins. So, you have a mark to prove it.
So... What's the problem?
Soren: What's the problem...? Don't you find me repugnant!? I work beside you,
eat beside you. I'm nothing! I don't belong anywhere! Doesn't that sicken you?
Ike: No. It doesn't change anything. You're still you, Soren! You're a capable
officer of our army. And my friend. We can't keep going unless you are with
us.
Soren: ...Ike... I thought... I thought you...
Ike: What?
Soren: It was Gallia. The sage lived in Gallia. A few beorcs had settled there
and...
Ike: Gallia? Are you saying...
Soren: When the sage died, no one would help me. I couldn't speak. Couldn't
find food. I was dying. You were the only one who helped. You and your father.
That's why you're my friend. My... only friend.

-

So the basic gist of it ironically is that Ike is accepting of Soren no matter what kind of a person he is, given the topic at hand I find this oddly apt; anyhow back to the topic. Here we see two people sharing an emotional talk, this is not to say only people in relationships can hold emotional talks such as this, friends can and do talk like this at times. Also of note here is the apparent way in which Soren seems to regard Ike in...
-
Soren: When the sage died, no one would help me. I couldn't speak. Couldn't
find food. I was dying. You were the only one who helped. You and your father.
That's why you're my friend. My... only friend.
-

Soren literally had no one to care for him or even be his friend. That's when Ike came along and the two made a strong friendship, on Soren's part because up until Ike he had had no one that would care if he died or not, this is why you see Soren get so emotional in this support conversation; Soren's practically never had a friend in his life before Ike. I bet you even in the Japanese version theres hardly anything changed, I'll bet you the conversation is just like the English one here, Soren and Ike are probably not saying things like "I love you" or "Let's be together." If anything the conversation really strikes me as something of a Gaara/Naruto friendship type of thing. All of Gaara's life he was only feared and looked down upon, then Naruto came and saw Gaara being not unlike himself and this caused Gaara to for the first time have a friend, which is why they're such good friends, the originatior of this topic is probably an avid fan of NarutoXGaara yaoi for all we know, solely because of what I have said about the two previously. "OMG NARUTO MADE GAARA GOOD, CLEARLY LOVERS!"

Just because someone -really- cares about a friendship with a friend does not make them homosexual. I mean really, come on...

"What's everyone else's feelings? Or have not enough of you finished RD with both A supports? I know for sure it's edited in the North American version, but to what extent, I'm not sure" -BigTru

HAVE YOU finished RD with both A supports, you say it's edited in the North American version, but you don't know to what extent, and yet you still make room for yourself to say that you KNOW Ike is gay? I particularly don't care if Ike is gay or not, I'd actually think it'd be neat to have such a badass looking dude actually be gay, but the fact of the matter is that just like BigTru here opens the thread by outright stating it as if it were fact that Ike was gay; so can we state it as fact Ike not being gay. And that there is what this is all truly about, it's not about wether his purported gayness is wrong or not, it's about BigTru saying Ike is indeed gay without he himself giving proof AND on the first post contradicting himself. So I'll let mine go down for record. Ike is not gay, think about it, if you were in the same situation and some guy had killed your dad; would you spend your life trying to exact revenge or looking for a nice girl to settle down with, this might explain why he bo? If one REALLY starts to think about things like these you'll see what is and what is not.

So rounding off, the mandatory Wikipedia quote.

"If two characters with a mutual romantic attraction, strong friendship, or other form of mutual connection engage in three support conversations throughout the game, the result will sometimes affect the game's ending.[16] Depending on the characters involved, such results could include marriage, a deepening of friendship, or a continued pursuit of their ongoing relationship."

And ending about the extremely large post. One last piece, just a piece of the support conversation A, Ike and Elincia.

-
Elincia: Oh...er...that? That was...um... I was trying to fit in, my lord
Ike. To be rough and capable like the rest of you.
Ike: You caught me off guard with that one.
Elincia: Hee hee! It brings back memories. When I fled the capital and was
told about Crimea's defeat in Gallia... I prepared myself to live in crushing,
colorless despair for the rest of my days. But when I look back, I can see
there were some warm rays of hope...poking through.
Ike: You're right...
Elincia: Tomorrow, I will face King Daein and reclaim Crimea...or die in the
attempt. It is the only thing on my mind.
Ike: You employed me as a mercenary. I'll give you your money's worth!
...No. It means more than that... To my last breath, I will do all that I can
to ensure your dream...Elincia.
Elincia: Oh, Ike...
-

If you ask me, there's more evidence of a girlfriend/boyfriend type relationship in there than in Ike's and Soren's. Soren really just is attached to his best friend due to circumstances and Ike is genuinely worried about -his- best friend.

END OF THREAD

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
. . . You realize that claiming to have a verdict on Ike's sexuality when you spent the first 3/4 of your post explaining why a verdict can't be reached is hypocritical, yeah?
First off, that was more of a joke from playing too much Phoenix Wright more than anything. But not completely unfounded.

The writers say who is who and what is what. If Ike loves Soren, it would be outright said, or implied a bit more heavily than the half ***** "hints" that fangirls take so seriously.
That is what I said sir. To elaborate, he's not gay until proven otherwise. There is no in between. Ike has no justifications on homosexuality. That's the point. If the authors wanted him to be gay, they would have just done it. There was already another blatantly homosexual character in the game. This proves more than anything that the storyboard does not need to hint drop. Unless it's a tendency of the writers (CLAMP) to do that. And I'd think that a series where character ending's directly profess a love life past the game, they would not be afraid to just say "Ike and Soren loved each other forever"

Like with other people, the first assumption on anyone's behalf is that they're straight. Think like a normal person. You see a guy walk down the street, open his cell phone and cough twice, you don't have to think to yourself "Oh, I think he's straight". Natural tendency makes everyone straight until proven or reasonably assumed otherwise. By that logic, Ike is straight until someone can prove he's not with a actual strong point. You don't need proof, just like the guy in the above example doesn't need to yell out to you "Dude, I love *****! I'm totally straight!"

Allow me to kill the weak arguements like a lion on a wounded gazelle.

1. He didn't get married so he must be gay!!

Very stupid to assume. Very many characters don't get married in the series. Really.

2. He's the only lord to not get married to some girl! Gay!

First off, Ike isn't even a real lord. I thought his mismatched armor and tattered clothes would allude to the point that he's a common Mercenary. Secondly not getting a girl doesn't mean your gay. Hard to beleive, I know. Judging from some threads I've seen on this forum, I'd be safe to assume by your logic that most of the people who post on Smashboards are gay cause they're single.

3. Elincia loved him!!!1

And that doesn't mean he loves her back.

4. A deep conversation was had between two males! Ike and Soren!

These kind of convos happen all the time in FE. Especially for the main character and their right hand man. Besides, if Ike was gay, he'd totally be all over Maklov and not Soren.

Granted, I've got basically all of my information on Ike from these boards, and there doesn't seem to be anything that proves he's straight (like a marriage or some kind of direct confession of affection ) based on what I've seen here. So if my information's wrong, by all means, correct me.
Urg.

So what the hell are you doing then? If you haven't played the game, you don't really know anything for sure. It's a possiblity that, the only convos you may have heard were ones that support your arguement. How can you pass judgement on a characters sexuality without experincing so much as his growth first?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
My, that's an awfully long and defensive post in response to my relatively short and passive one. :ohwell: I didn't really want to blow the discussion up again, but if you insist. . . .

First off, that was more of a joke from playing too much Phoenix Wright more than anything. But not completely unfounded.
I'll take your word for it. Never played (may the cyber jaw-dropping begin!).

That is what I said sir. To elaborate, he's not gay until proven otherwise. There is no in between. Ike has no justifications on homosexuality. That's the point. If the authors wanted him to be gay, they would have just done it. There was already another blatantly homosexual character in the game. This proves more than anything that the storyboard does not need to hint drop. Unless it's a tendency of the writers (CLAMP) to do that. And I'd think that a series where character ending's directly profess a love life past the game, they would not be afraid to just say "Ike and Soren loved each other forever"
Other blatant homosexual characters or not, you don't know what the creators were thinking. I know that's an unoriginal response to your statement, but it's still true. Just because they have a history of making gay characters obvious doesn't mean they're ALL going to be that way. It's not like past precedent somehow makes them incapable of doing things differently. It's certainly POSSIBLE that the creators decided to hint drop THIS TIME. Do I think that's what they did? Based on what this thread has taught me, not really. But I can see how it could be interpreted that way. It's no more wrong to see the implication here than it is see the implication between any girl Ike may have had a heart-to-heart with.

Like with other people, the first assumption on anyone's behalf is that they're straight.
Agreed. When I first saw Ike (which was on the Dojo), I had no reason to believe he was gay. However, I now have more information since then. Do I think he's gay now? No, but I'm not so certain of his sexuality as I was before.

Think like a normal person.
Was that necessary? I feel a little insulted.

You see a guy walk down the street, open his cell phone and cough twice, you don't have to think to yourself "Oh, I think he's straight". Natural tendency makes everyone straight until proven or reasonably assumed otherwise.
That's right. Which is why I did automatically assume Ike was striaght. At first. This is a little different because I know more about Ike at this point than I do of this random man in your example. I know that Ike has had no female relationship and that he seems to be closer with Soren than anyone else. Even if the relationship is platonic, it's understandable that some eyebrows could be raised.

Let me give you a counter example to your man walking down the street. There are two men walking down the street, and they're holding hands. Are they gay? Maybe. Would you say they're more likely to be gay than not? You may not, but some people would say yes, when, in fact, the hand holding could be nothing more than what it is. Is it so unreasonable for at least SOME suspicious to arise despite what could be a perfectly platonic gesture? I don't think so. People just judge things differently. The two men I described could be gay or straight; I myself don't know.

By that logic, Ike is straight until someone can prove he's not with a actual strong point. You don't need proof, just like the guy in the above example doesn't need to yell out to you "Dude, I love *****! I'm totally straight!"
Ike doesn't need to be proven gay just to raise suspicion. You were in the right to say that this conversation with Soren doesn't prove Ike is gay, but it's still a complete possibility. This kind of heartfelt conversation has implications with certain people. It could be strong friendship (as I suspect) or it could be more. The same way a limp wrist could raise an eyebrow even though it might literally just be a straight guy, too lazy to keep his wrist stiff. You may see the wrist without thinking a second thought. Someone else may see it and mentally go "queer". I don't know which of you is right.

Allow me to kill the weak arguements like a lion on a wounded gazelle.

1. He didn't get married so he must be gay!!

Very stupid to assume. Very many characters don't get married in the series. Really.
I didn't assume anything of the sort, so I'm afraid this wounded gazelle was needlessly slaughtered.

2. He's the only lord to not get married to some girl! Gay!

First off, Ike isn't even a real lord. I thought his mismatched armor and tattered clothes would allude to the point that he's a common Mercenary. Secondly not getting a girl doesn't mean your gay. Hard to beleive, I know. Judging from some threads I've seen on this forum, I'd be safe to assume by your logic that most of the people who post on Smashboards are gay cause they're single.
"your logic" as in MY logic, or "your logic" as in the logic of the hypothetical person you're using as an example to prove your point?

Because, like I said above, I said nothing of the sort.

3. Elincia loved him!!!1

And that doesn't mean he loves her back.
True.

Although truth be told, I don't even know who Elincia is.

4. A deep conversation was had between two males! Ike and Soren!

These kind of convos happen all the time in FE. Especially for the main character and their right hand man. Besides, if Ike was gay, he'd totally be all over Maklov and not Soren.
See. I didn't know that. I now have no reason to suspect he's gay. However, I still don't have a reason to assume he's straight. You were right when you brought up the point that we collectively run by the dictum that someone is "straight until proven gay", so that's pretty much the way I'll think of Ike from now on. That still doesn't MAKE him straight though, so your "verdict" about him not being gay isn't any less founded.

We can assume he's straight based on what we know, but that doesn't make the statement "Ike isn't gay" any more of a certainty.

Urg.

So what the hell are you doing then? If you haven't played the game, you don't really know anything for sure. It's a possiblity that, the only convos you may have heard were ones that support your arguement. How can you pass judgement on a characters sexuality without experincing so much as his growth first?
It seems that in your hurry to respond to me, you didn't grasp what my actual judgment was. As I've said a couple times previously in this post, I'm not positive he's gay, and at this point I'm leaning more toward straight simply out of probability (there are more straight people than gay people in the world).

In fact, it's interesting that you accuse me of judging his sexuality based on no information, when you yourself are essentially basing your judgment off of the fact that he hasn't been proven one way or another. He isn't clearly gay, therefor he must be straight. You seem to be snapping at the party that opposes you for doing exactly what you're doing, just in favor of their own side.

If someone can't use the "Ike never married a girl!" point to prove that he's gay, then why are you allowed to use the "the conversation between Ike and Soren coulld be platonic" point to prove that he's not?

The only reason I quoted you was to point out some hypocrisy I saw. You spent most of your first post explaining why a bunch of "gay implications" didn't prove he was gay, then announced that he clearly was not gay despite there being no more proof going in the other direction. "There's no conclusive proof that he's gay, so he's not gay. There's no conclusive proof that he's straight. . . but he's still straight because that's just what everyone assumes first".

The fact is that his orientation is a question mark at this point. I don't fault you for assuming he's probably straight, as I'm doing the same thing, but saying anything with any kind of finality at this point seems foolish to me.

[/wall of text]

Sorry for the vision problems you'll have after reading this, if you even bother. O_<

Dark Meta-Knight

Smash Apprentice
Everyone get over it, Ike isn't going to make out with Snake in SSE(contrary to what you would think with Snake's grab), this is completely irrelevant to SSBB. I know that this thread will still get many posts and arguments, I just want people to know that this has nothing to do with THIS game.
Though his grab looks like it's gay, he's just grabbing them from behind, and, what looks like, stabbing them in the back. How did gayness come into this??:confused:

S2

Smash Lord
Ike is probably not gay.

They are two male characters who care about each other, but its never said they are gay.
Although, I will admit that the conversation they have is not "normal". Just because it comes off culturally as being very homo-erotic, doesn't mean they are gay. Maybe someone who has played the JPN version might have a little more insight, since sometimes things like this get muddled in translation (ie certain words having connotations, that don't translate well).

Its never stated Ike is. He could be, but people are blowing this way out of preportion.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
So you feel the need to keep bumping this thread while we're having good discussions about Ike in his move threads? Go read a different thread.

orintemple

Smash Lord
If Ike really is gay I don't think they are going to make mention of it in Brawl anyway, so no need to worry about the censorship police coming in to ruin the game. Also, just because you love a guy doesn't mean you are gay for him. It is probably more like a brotherhood thing. Japanese is a very different language than English and the way certain words are translated can be taken the wrong way to an English speaker. Also the Japanese culture is different and things that may seem homo erotic might be completely heterosexual in Japanese culture.

That being said maybe Ike is gay, there hasn't been many(if any) gay heroes in video games anyway. With the rise of women heroes that there has been it is not surprising to see every race, religion, and lifestyle in games nowadays.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
It's not a wall of text if you bother to sperate it.
My, that's an awfully long and defensive post in response to my relatively short and passive one. I didn't really want to blow the discussion up again, but if you insist. . . .
Defensive? Think what you want. :chuckle:

Other blatant homosexual characters or not, you don't know what the creators were thinking. I know that's an unoriginal response to your statement, but it's still true. Just because they have a history of making gay characters obvious doesn't mean they're ALL going to be that way. It's not like past precedent somehow makes them incapable of doing things differently. It's certainly POSSIBLE that the creators decided to hint drop THIS TIME. Do I think that's what they did? Based on what this thread has taught me, not really. But I can see how it could be interpreted that way. It's no more wrong to see the implication here than it is see the implication between any girl Ike may have had a heart-to-heart with.
Is suppose your halfway right. But remember this contradicts the argement of "all other lords had wives!!!1"

That's right. Which is why I did automatically assume Ike was striaght. At first. This is a little different because I know more about Ike at this point than I do of this random man in your example. I know that Ike has had no female relationship and that he seems to be closer with Soren than anyone else. Even if the relationship is platonic, it's understandable that some eyebrows could be raised.

Let me give you a counter example to your man walking down the street. There are two men walking down the street, and they're holding hands. Are they gay? Maybe. Would you say they're more likely to be gay than not? You may not, but some people would say yes, when, in fact, the hand holding could be nothing more than what it is. Is it so unreasonable for at least SOME suspicious to arise despite what could be a perfectly platonic gesture? I don't think so. People just judge things differently. The two men I described could be gay or straight; I myself don't know.
Hell, sounds gay to me. I'd find that better grounds for assumption than, "Look they're talking with emotions and the conversation lasted more than a sentence!"

Especially if the term 'friend' is what Soren used to describe Ike in the final sentence of the actual support convo.

Ike doesn't need to be proven gay just to raise suspicion. You were in the right to say that this conversation with Soren doesn't prove Ike is gay, but it's still a complete possibility. This kind of heartfelt conversation has implications with certain people. It could be strong friendship (as I suspect) or it could be more.
(Cut out the second part of your post. Look above for the rebuttal on that, to beat redundancy.)

That's the problem. POSSIBLITY. Anything is possible in fiction. Unfortunatly, Ike, or any members from the FE storyboard won't hold a press confrence to clear up sexuality confusion issues. Guess the world ain't that simple.

I didn't assume anything of the sort, so I'm afraid this wounded gazelle was needlessly slaughtered.
The lack of a quote like the one above hopefully implied that these were not directly toward you.

See. I didn't know that. I now have no reason to suspect he's gay. However, I still don't have a reason to assume he's straight. You were right when you brought up the point that we collectively run by the dictum that someone is "straight until proven gay", so that's pretty much the way I'll think of Ike from now on. That still doesn't MAKE him straight though, so your "verdict" about him not being gay isn't any less founded.
Supposedly. But developers and unless it's purposely brought into question, storywriters mostly don't ever inculde sexual orientation in a characters profile. The "straight until proven gay" mentailty backs this more often than not. When you have characters who go after every girl, do you assume that it's a safeguard to the thought of homosexuality but leaves other characters in the series vunerable to homosexuality? Just a general question.

If someone can't use the "Ike never married a girl!" point to prove that he's gay, then why are you allowed to use the "the conversation between Ike and Soren coulld be platonic" point to prove that he's not?
Because the conversation practically IS platonic. Check the last page where the acutal conversation is posted. The general point was how or why, this could be a demonstration of a more sexual affection.

Basically it's because it's fiction that renders this kind of speculation a fish out of water. As I said, I, or we, can merely guess and use what's given to us since nobody lives in the FE world or is a developer of the game. Hard evidence is better use to bring some strength to a new and pretty unfounded arguement.With no concrete evidence to the contrary, why have a question mark? You (not you but the people who presented the idea in the first place) brought up the idea of it in the first place. The burden of evidence is on you. Dismantleing points just show how crappy the evidence presnted up to this point really is.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone keep trying to prove whether or not Ike and Soren are gay, its obsurd, stupid, pointless, r-tard and has nothing at all to do with fukking Smash ffs. Some mod lock this please, we're here to talk about smash, so start talking about smash.

Top Bottom