• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ike is the first __________ character in Smash Bros series. (PoR & RD spoilers)

Zek

Smash Ace
I don't know anything about Fire Emblem, but ffs, Yoshi? His entire species is asexual. Birdo is a male of some other species with gender identity issues. The two were sometimes "paired" in games like Mario Kart Double Dash because every character had a partner, and Yoshi/Birdo are both dinosaur creatures. That's it. Claiming that there's some sort of romantic relationship between them is absurd. You might as well say the same thing about Mario & Luigi, Peach & Daisy, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, etc...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I don't know anything about Fire Emblem, but ffs, Yoshi? His entire species is asexual. Birdo is a male of some other species with gender identity issues. The two were sometimes "paired" in games like Mario Kart Double Dash because every character had a partner, and Yoshi/Birdo are both dinosaur creatures. That's it. Claiming that there's some sort of romantic relationship between them is absurd. You might as well say the same thing about Mario & Luigi, Peach & Daisy, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, etc...
At the risk of encouraging the bringing up of dead off-topicness. . . .

In my defense, I would say those pictures are a tad suggestive of some kind of relationship, specifically the first one (and in case you don't understand why I picked the second one, look at where Birdo's hand is. It's not like it's GRAPHIC or anything, but that doesn't seem like a very platonic place to make contact with someone).

Regardless, the Yoshi/Birdo discussion died pages ago. Why couldn't you just leave it?

(jkk)

Smash Cadet
The great Albus Dumbledore is gay....and for that reason I will never read another harry potter book ever again. Thanks alot J. K. Rowling. As for Ike I think I can forgive him for his Disorder, Its not his fault.........

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Albus isn't gay, I think it was the character who played him in real life was gay. Doesn't really matter. And Ike isn't gay if you read most of the stuff here.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The great Albus Dumbledore is gay....and for that reason I will never read another harry potter book ever again. Thanks alot J. K. Rowling. As for Ike I think I can forgive him for his Disorder, Its not his fault.........
Good thing all the books are already out. And Rowling is loaded now, so I think she can make it without your $20.

Albus isn't gay, I think it was the character who played him in real life was gay. Doesn't really matter. And Ike isn't gay if you read most of the stuff here.
No, it's actually the character. I thought the same thing you did at first, but then some news website went into more detail about it. Apparently, at some meeting regarding the making of the next Potter movie, the director (or writer, or someone) wanted to include a flashback involving Dumbledore having a romantic relationship with a girl. Rowling wrote "Dumbledore's gay" (or something similar to that) on a notecard and passed it up to the director (or whoever it was).

At least, that's what I've come to understand. I suppose I could've been hoodwinked.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Good thing all the books are already out. And Rowling is loaded now, so I think she can make it without your $20.

No, it's actually the character. I thought the same thing you did at first, but then some news website went into more detail about it. Apparently, at some meeting regarding the making of the next Potter movie, the director (or writer, or someone) wanted to include a flashback involving Dumbledore having a romantic relationship with a girl. Rowling wrote "Dumbledore's gay" (or something similar to that) on a notecard and passed it up to the director (or whoever it was).

At least, that's what I've come to understand. I suppose I could've been hoodwinked.
Lol, ok I didn't know that. I guess Albus is gay then. I only heard this on the news that was short.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Lol, ok I didn't know that. I guess Albus is gay then. I only heard this on the news that was short.
Yeah, I didn't get a very clear meaning from the news. I only figured out it was actually the character, not the actor, when I searched a bit online.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Zoo, why the **** does Miciah want to marry Sothe, her cousin? That's shameful. It better not go that way in the game, or I'll just burn it right now.
If you keep their A support, at the character ending, they wed.

FE without incest is not FE.

But still, this doesn't really make much of a difference. Hardcore smash fans should buy the game even though Ike is "gay" (which is not neccasarily true).

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
This topic is stupid and makes no sense. The argument is so weak that you are basically pulling all of this out of your ***.

Of course, I'm not saying that Ike is straight or anything like that either, because given what little and insignificant information we have, this matter should not even be up for discussion.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I find it a little bit humorous to have people discuss the preference of a character as if it will affect their game play. All of that info should just be disregarded and all of the effort put into discussing:
"gay or straight... is Ike who he appears to be?"
should be focused into finding great combos and overcoming currently known weaknesses.

But whatever.. you guys can continue and entertain me. I just won't discuss it any more.

Darkurai

Smash Master
*Spoilers*

So for those of you who haven't played through the Japanese PoR and RD and unlocked the A conversation for Soren and ending or picked up on the numerous subtle hints plotted throughout the story, Ike is indeed homosexual, though he definitely isn't the first in the Fire Emblem series which is riddled with cases of incest and homosexuality.

My question is what is everyone's opinion of the matter of including a strictly homosexual character in Brawl?

I can definitely see some soccer moms tripping out about the matter if they found out, but I honestly don't care. I don't think Sakurai is going to make any references to Ike's homosexuality but even if they did, isn't this game slated to be a "T" game? Or am I mistaken? And I don't mean to be political about the matter, but I don't think homosexuality is an inappropriate thing even in a game that's made by Nintendo marketed to youth. Homosexuality is growing becoming more and more accepted. I myself am not homosexual, but I see no problem with Ike's inclusion in SSBB.

What's everyone else's feelings? Or have not enough of you finished RD with both A supports? I know for sure it's edited in the North American version, but to what extent, I'm not sure. I think there's still a subtle reference.
This is cool. Nintendo's expanding their viewpoint to be accepting of all.

I guess Super Mario Galaxy wasn't the first instance.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Zoo, why the **** does Miciah want to marry Sothe, her cousin? That's shameful. It better not go that way in the game, or I'll just burn it right now.
They aren't cousins, though. They consider each other to be family, but they're not related by blood at all. They simply stumbled across each other in the streets of Daein when they were young (well, when Sothe was young anyway, with Micaiah being Branded theres no telling how old she is) and stuck with each other. And yes, if they have an A support at the end of the game (they start with one, so unless you overwrite it they do), Micaiah and Sothe do marry.

Zevox

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
The question is, do you know where you are? HMMM?
Well, as many have said, there's no real concrete proof of his sexuality.

But I was kinda hoping that he was though. While playing FE9 and FE10, it's nearly impossible for those to not see the possibility, cause I don't know how many guys are comforted by other guys who are not related to them and not gay.

However, from a prevailing European medieval point of view, perhaps that's not the case. I see it from an American point of view who is not very discriminatory and might actually want it to be true, and that conversation posted earlier leads me to think that kind of relationship is not a friend-to-friend relationship only.

Then again, the game is Japanese, with a story written perhaps with little regard to the European Medieval mindset towards the subject of homosexuality, and there are many Japanese TV shows, anime and video games that at least hint at some type of homosexual relationship between characters. Perhaps it was to make them fans to go crazy and write fanfics (like me).

Or we could be looking into it too much. It still would be cool, because diversity (and for fangirls). People who can't get over their hate towards gays and despise Ike for his -possibility- of being gay, too bad.

Finally, that conversation randomly reminds me of Forrest Gump. "She was my only friend. My special friend."

LMAO. I think I am finished with this post. It amazes me the long-windedness of previous posts.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Well, as many have said, there's no real concrete proof of his sexuality.

But I was kinda hoping that he was though. While playing FE9 and FE10, it's nearly impossible for those to not see the possibility, cause I don't know how many guys are comforted by other guys who are not related to them and not gay.

However, from a prevailing European medieval point of view, perhaps that's not the case. I see it from an American point of view who is not very discriminatory and might actually want it to be true, and that conversation posted earlier leads me to think that kind of relationship is not a friend-to-friend relationship only.

Then again, the game is Japanese, with a story written perhaps with little regard to the European Medieval mindset towards the subject of homosexuality, and there are many Japanese TV shows, anime and video games that at least hint at some type of homosexual relationship between characters. Perhaps it was to make them fans to go crazy and write fanfics (like me).

Or we could be looking into it too much. It still would be cool, because diversity (and for fangirls). People who can't get over their hate towards gays and despise Ike for his -possibility- of being gay, too bad.

Finally, that conversation randomly reminds me of Forrest Gump. "She was my only friend. My special friend."

LMAO. I think I am finished with this post. It amazes me the long-windedness of previous posts.
Quite right a bit on the start, you do make some points regarding Japanese shows, but when you state you think Ike and Soren to not be friends...well. I'll point you to Naruto's and Sasuke's relationship in aforementioned series, now I'm sure you know how many fanfic and art stuffs are drawn of the two being homo for each other, as you yourself have revealed your bias for thinking Ike to be gay by stating you would like to write fanfics. You said it yourself. "Perhaps it was to make them fans to go crazy and write fanfics." This itself is also shown heavily in Korean pop all male groups and Japanese visual-kei music groups, in both these genres there is a very big and notable emphasis on male members to display and do things on stage that would hint at something, while they themselves not being that thing themselves; like you said, it is for the fans, to like the group more. I disgress, however, see Naruto's and Sasuke's relationship and how there are fanfics and art about the two as lovers. They are very much indeed friends
, and yet Naruto goes extremely out of his way to "get back" Sasuke, i.e. "saving" him, it is because the two have a very strong bond. While your ideas of how friends should act, from your Western culture no less, may see two males as being gay just because they actually care enough about their friend enough to actually ask them and make them tell you what was wrong; this is not so in others.

What I'm trying to say is, in Japan, things like loyalty and extremely strong friendships are a big theme in series and culture, it is not uncommon for friends to go and do things above and beyond what normal friends would do. While others who were betrayed like Naruto by their best friend may forget about this betrayer and hate them, Naruto still insists on getting Sasuke back, so why would anyone want to do this for someone who betrayed them, because of the close bond Naruto KNOWS they had. Think of Soren as a Sasuke and Ike as a Naruto then you'll understand what I'm talking about a little bit more. And don't even think about arguing Naruto's sexuality, it's been shown repeatedly in the series, especially earlier in them that he had a crush on Sakura. Think about it, if you were Soren and Ike and his dad practically saved your life, on top of that becoming your first, best and only friend; would you just think of them as a regular friend or something more like a brother, it is because of that that makes Soren and Ike be friends as they are; and it is because that itself that people not familiar with Japanese views on friendship and loyalty instaneously think:

...Gay.

Cless

Smash Champion
I doubt that it will be set in the same universe. There hasn't been more than two games in any given universe. Don't see why they'd change it now.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Nintendo left his sexuality ambiguous at the end of RD so that we could learn something in the next FE (Assuming it has Ike). Smash Brawl will probably say nothing on the matter.
The next FE will not have Ike - the next one is Fire Emblem DS, a remake of Marth's first game. After that its doubtful he'll return either, given his ending in RD
has him going the annoyingly clichè "wanders away and is never seen again" route.
Even if a future FE game is set in Tellius (which I hope for, personally, since I love the Laguz), its doubtful Ike would be involved for that reason. Besides, FE has always changed worlds and characters frequently; why would that stop now?

Zevox

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Quite right a bit on the start, you do make some points regarding Japanese shows, but when you state you think Ike and Soren to not be friends...well. I'll point you to Naruto's and Sasuke's relationship in aforementioned series, now I'm sure you know how many fanfic and art stuffs are drawn of the two being homo for each other, as you yourself have revealed your bias for thinking Ike to be gay by stating you would like to write fanfics. You said it yourself. "Perhaps it was to make them fans to go crazy and write fanfics." This itself is also shown heavily in Korean pop all male groups and Japanese visual-kei music groups, in both these genres there is a very big and notable emphasis on male members to display and do things on stage that would hint at something, while they themselves not being that thing themselves; like you said, it is for the fans, to like the group more. I disgress, however, see Naruto's and Sasuke's relationship and how there are fanfics and art about the two as lovers. They are very much indeed friends
, and yet Naruto goes extremely out of his way to "get back" Sasuke, i.e. "saving" him, it is because the two have a very strong bond. While your ideas of how friends should act, from your Western culture no less, may see two males as being gay just because they actually care enough about their friend enough to actually ask them and make them tell you what was wrong; this is not so in others.

What I'm trying to say is, in Japan, things like loyalty and extremely strong friendships are a big theme in series and culture, it is not uncommon for friends to go and do things above and beyond what normal friends would do. While others who were betrayed like Naruto by their best friend may forget about this betrayer and hate them, Naruto still insists on getting Sasuke back, so why would anyone want to do this for someone who betrayed them, because of the close bond Naruto KNOWS they had. Think of Soren as a Sasuke and Ike as a Naruto then you'll understand what I'm talking about a little bit more. And don't even think about arguing Naruto's sexuality, it's been shown repeatedly in the series, especially earlier in them that he had a crush on Sakura. Think about it, if you were Soren and Ike and his dad practically saved your life, on top of that becoming your first, best and only friend; would you just think of them as a regular friend or something more like a brother, it is because of that that makes Soren and Ike be friends as they are; and it is because that itself that people not familiar with Japanese views on friendship and loyalty instaneously think:

...Gay.

Very well explained, props to you man!

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
The question is, do you know where you are? HMMM?
Whether it was canon or not, nothing stands in the way of fandom. Which is basically from what I speak from XD (although yeah, Naruto/Sasuke=no sense)

At least, no one can know unless they actually get FE9 and 10 from Japan, upload the data to 10 with Ike and Soren support, and beat 10 twice. And if anyone does that (I'm too busy in life currently to do something THAT obsessive) then the matter can finally be solved, whether he is sexually ambiguous like that, or that the writers figured that you were a real hard-working fangirl and decided to add it.

But his not getting married at the end and going with a guy friend, while not confirming Ike=homosexual, is certainly different for the series. In a good way, because sometimes those endings feel like the old Disney movie endings, srsly.

But yeah, someone, go unlock that conversation. Gay or not, it's probably really really mushy, and I live off of mushy stuff. Even if it's just friend-mushy.

And that is all I have to say about that until I see some convo logs.
X3

Cless

Smash Champion
You can't prove that, just like it can't be proven that he is. Unless it is specifically stated in the game, or they give a bunch of evidence to support one or the other, you really can't conclusively prove anything.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
You can't prove that, just like it can't be proven that he is. Unless it is specifically stated in the game, or they give a bunch of evidence to support one or the other, you really can't conclusively prove anything.
This goes for any other characters from Nintendo, and a lot. Just cause we don't know. But its just stupid to talk or think about it. What is Luigi gay? We don't know. BUT we mostly know that these characters are straight, and its safe to say that Ike is not gay.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
Sorry to those who want to talk about this, but I am personally sick of seeing this topic bumping up everyday. :dizzy:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Not to further aid in the bumping of this thread, but. . .

What is Luigi gay? We don't know.
It's actually a running joke with me and my friends that he is, thanks to SSB.

C'mon. He has a pink shirt and hat as part of one of his alt colors, his dashA is essentially a closed-handed sissy fight, and the last attack in his neutralA combo is a booty bump. There's room for suspicion. >_>

<_<

Ultimately, we're joking though. But you bring up a good point. There are lots (most. . . all?) of Nintendo characters that don't have a 100% conclusive sexuality. But that's mostly because it just never comes into play with the story. Luigi's never had a need for a significant other (people say Daisy's supposed to me Luigi's answer to Peach, but it also happens to be a running gag with my friends that Daisy's a lesbian. . . I won't get started on that) so there's never been a moment where his orientation could be seriously speculated over.

With Fire Emblem, based on all this "A Support" talk, I think it's safe to assume the case is different. If a character marries another character at the end of the game based on the support, then we pretty much know which way that character swings (at least in that run-through). Ike just happens to be an enigma. I'll bet those crafty *******s at Nintendo made his preference unknown JUST so this would happen. They're bullies.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Ike and Titania's A-support sounds mushy and lovey too, who cares? Ike is not clean enough to be gay, to me and my gayish perspective he makes a very unattractive gay. Usually (actually, always as far as I can remember) in FE, the characters who are gayish, or can end up with a gay ending are all clean and tidy. Raven-Lucius comes to mind.

I think Soren seems gayish though, or completely opposed to sexuality period.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Agreed. I have never seen such a conversation in PoR, ever.
That would be because the one the OP is refering to is in Radiant Dawn, not Path of Radiance. Ike and Soren have a special conversation just before the very last battle of that game if you transfer data from PoR that had them with an A support, they have an A support in RD, and its your second play through or after.

Someone really needs to get a translation of the Japanese version of that conversation. Or at least the English version, though thats probably heavily edited if it really did indicate homosexuality. (I'm working on the latter, but still doing the PoR play through - not enough time to do it very quickly.)

Zevox

Cless

Smash Champion
I should start playing RD again then. I already have the PoD playthrough with the support. Are you sure it has to be on the 2nd playthrough?

Zevox

Smash Lord
I should start playing RD again then. I already have the PoD playthrough with the support. Are you sure it has to be on the 2nd playthrough?
Yup. There are a variety of new things you can get on the second playthrough and beyond, including two characters you couldn't get the first time around. Make sure you start the new file by choosing the continue the completed old one, though.

Zevox

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know all about New Game + files. More crap to do now. As if I don't have enough free time already.

*sigh*

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, I have to beat it anyway, and I went through PoR twice, and the only reason I did that was because I wanted to see that scene. Well, that and I only had one level 20 character in my first playthrough, and my Sothe sucked in my first playthrough.

Top Bottom