• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I think i'm a Plant Main now! What should I know?

Windfall

Smash Rookie
Welp. After poor results trying to main: Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Bowser, Zelda, Sheik (shudder), and then Lucina; me an environmentalist, decided to channel my rage through plant. I've finally found a character I have fun with and don't get stomped on and then Tbagged while playing online!
I'm new to Smash, so I usually end up getting flustered and then don't use any of the tactics or techs I learned in training or watching pro players. Piranha Plant lets me slow down a bit and actually enjoy the game a little.
So question, Plant Gang, how have you learned this character? I want to hear your story!
What have you done, watched, especially read, that has helped you reach higher levels of skill? Any Techs or resources we should know?
Also how do you reliably hit the meteor smash on Dair?
Thanks!

mobilisq

Smash Ace
easiest way to get the meteor with dair, I've found, has been fast falling BEFORE using the attack, so it connects right as it comes out

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Welp. After poor results trying to main: Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Bowser, Zelda, Sheik (shudder), and then Lucina; me an environmentalist, decided to channel my rage through plant. I've finally found a character I have fun with and don't get stomped on and then Tbagged while playing online!
I'm new to Smash, so I usually end up getting flustered and then don't use any of the tactics or techs I learned in training or watching pro players. Piranha Plant lets me slow down a bit and actually enjoy the game a little.
So question, Plant Gang, how have you learned this character? I want to hear your story!
What have you done, watched, especially read, that has helped you reach higher levels of skill? Any Techs or resources we should know?
Also how do you reliably hit the meteor smash on Dair?
Thanks!
Hello man, happy to have another member of the PlantGang. Now here are some tips:
Ptooie cannot be overrated. It juggles, combos, kills, ant airs, does your taxes and babysits the kids. Especially against non zoners and characters with bad disadvantage states, this move is amazing and you’ll use it a lot. You can combo off of launched Ptooie into dash attack or non thrown Ptooie into up air/fair. You can use it while edge guarding to snipe your opponent or just hold it offstage as it will fall onto opponents that hit plant (useful against dash attacks and sonic as well). Which brings me to another key point: edge guarding. Plant excels at edge guarding and has a good ledge trapping game. Dair is the fastest Dair spike in the game, but the spike hitbox isn’t consistent though it still sends straight out which is very good. Nair also sends outward at a good angle and beats any grab attack like dark/falcon dive or flame choke. Down b also is pretty good for edge guarding with the range delay and ability to angle. And we can go super deep to recover. That’s some basic stuff.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I’m leaning on plant too!
He’s seeming quite tactical to me and his recent patches have helped.

Hoping there are more top tier players out there who try him soon so I can scout for tips.

The tier list culture will often punish him however so maybe I’m dreaming.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I’m leaning on plant too!
He’s seeming quite tactical to me and his recent patches have helped.

Hoping there are more top tier players out there who try him soon so I can scout for tips.

The tier list culture will often punish him however so maybe I’m dreaming.
Hey man. Nice to have another member of the Plant Gang. Welcome! If you want players to look at for tips, I can try my hardest to suggest a couple. I’d recommend Brood, SCY Lucky, Greward, and Uber to start.

ThiccCarrot

Smash Rookie
I found Piranha Plant in the characters list before I ever played the game. When I read, and then saw their moveset, I knew instantly that would be my main.

For how to play?
Aerials and Down Special to start off with, and then finish them with Neutral Special (especially when they're off-stage) .
Also for the Meteor Smash, just Down Tilt them off the edge first. It takes a bit of practice but it's reliable.

eviltoss

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Mained Plant when he came out unknowingly thinking he was going to be the only character I use from now on.
Definitely use your poison as much as possible! At first for an opponent who isn't too aware of the match up they'll just stay in the cloud until they realize they're taking a hell of a lot of damage. After, they'll respect it and distance themselves a lot more. Just something I learned recently because poison can rack up serious damage over time. With the buff of down B that allows the stem to go further at a faster rate, I just throw poison and down b where they're headed to. After a while you'll learn how to angle stem strike like the back of your hand. Probably the biggest tip for me rn bc it's the most recent I picked up on. I used to use ptooie to distance opponents but I'd have to get hit for them to have the ball crash down on them but I ended up taking a ton of damage over the time of the stock.
But still do not be frantic if you're taking a lot of damage! I would usually give up if I am down 2 stocks and 100% damage on me but I've clutched it out so many times with PP only.

The amazing thing about plant is that no one uses my man so there's always something new to learn on how, when, and where to do something.

Last edited:

Grambles

Smash Cadet
I love using Ptooie as a sort of counter. It's especially good off stage given the right circumstances.
For Ganon's and Cpt. Falcon's, if they UpB and grab you, the spike ball will land on their heads before they can finish. It's also really good against teleport characters if you can time it so as you float down in front of the ledge, the ball should float around the grab point and make for an easy two-frame. This can be used against a lot of the cast in general too.

Honestly, Ptooie might one of the best moves in the game and is definitely PP's saving grace.

PP's nair is also great, especially used as a drag-down. I've only recently started to mess with him again since the last patch and might actually take him to secondary status. He's just so fun to play. Definitely has some glaring weaknesses, but getting over those is half the fun

Biggest takeaway after labbing it for quite some time is to play your game you're gonna get comboed...you're get camped.... mostly I had the most success in stages with platforms... look for opportunities to challenge weaker projectiles with stem attack and maintain about 2 or 3 character lengths close enough to punish shield/spot dodge with ball and far away enough to challenge an approach with ftilt mix up/pivot grab... your heavy play the long game and enforce the no fly zone

Vice Lord

Smash Apprentice
Scarborough, Ontario (Scarberian barbarians)
I've taken an interest in this character too, I like the pressure and setting up traps with poison cloud. Charged cloud into a successful multi-jab does like 80 damage. There are almost no true combos with the exception of nair->jab and up-tilt into itself, or landing upair into nair. I've had the most success with this character just staying on the ground. A little trick I do is crouching in neutral to make an opponent think in using the Down-B move. Up-throw kills at 140 reliably. I'm still bad with this character tho so take what i say with a grain of sand.

Top Bottom