• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I played Melee for the first time

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
So my friend has Melee as an emulator on the computer, so I don’t really know for sure if there’s much different from the actual game, so if it is, I apologize in advance.

I started with the 64 version as an emulator, skipped over Melee cause I never had a GameCube, and continued with Brawl up until now with Ultimate set in the future. These are my thought about the game:

1. Dash-dancing is SO MUCH easier in the game. Idk if it’s because it’s old or it’s mechanics are just a bit easier, but I love it.

2. I’m going to main Captain Falcon. Hands down, he’s my favorite. He’s a stark difference from Dedede. Ice Climbers are my secondaries. (My friend doesn’t have the other characters unlocked, so I don’t know about them, yet.)

3. Being really accustomed to the more developed graphics of Brawl to the Wii U versions of Smash, Melee has some getting used to.

4. Can I taunt in the game? Because I tried, and I don’t think I could.

5. When I feel like I could snap onto the ledge, I couldn’t and died. 1/10 Frustrating af.

6. HOW DO I BEAT THE MAZE IN THE ADVENTURE MODE. I PLAYED MANY TIMES. I DIED MANY TIMES. 1/10 FTS

7. Fountain of Dreams is such a weirdly beautiful stage. Do the platforms change or something?

8. I took me a while to realize I was able to charge the smash attacks. Does the C-stick work? I kept flicking it, but it got me killed a couple time.

9. I think that’s it. I only played for like an hour.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
4. Yes you can taunt. I thnk its up on the dpad :GCDpad:.
5. Were you having trouble on battlefield? Battlefield does that... Additionally, not all characters can grab ledge when they are not facing it. Captain Falcon for example, cannot grab ledge if he jumps facing away from the ledge then falls backwards towards it. You would have to use your Up B to allow yourself to catch ledge.
6. Keep trying!
7. Left and Right platforms go up and down.
8. C-stick works, but you cannot charge it when you use c-sticks.
9. Welcome to melee!

COOKRE

Smash Cadet
Glad you like it! If you play on a PC anyway, it's not too much of a hassle to have a look into Project M. It's got all the Brawl character goodness, it's got the Melee mechanics (you can still play precious Captain Falcon) and it's way more balanced. Seriously, give it a whirl!

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
As someone who switched from brawl to melee (no local brawl scene rip). The things that were the most annoying was not being able to change the controls (cough tap jump cough) and the fact that you can't use the Cstick in single player. Yeah that's right, you can't use the Cstick to attack in single player. It shrinks the camera (but not the blast zones obv) so it's useless. I assume that is what you mean by not being able to do smash attacks. If you feel like it isn't working in vs mode it's because there is no buffer. In the newer games basically if you Cstick in the middle of a move it does the smash attack on the first available frame but in melee that doesn't work so you need basically to wait for the lag to end before you use it. That takes some getting used to be once you are used to it you don't even think about it anymore and and also is probably good for your play. (Can't just button mash). The other reason that the Cstick might not seem to work right is you are trying to use it after landing with an aerial. Aerial moves in this game are very laggy if they aren't L-canceled. So some moves that you would expect to not have much landing lag are a lot slower than an other games. If you do L-cancel though the aerials land faster than ever and in some cases you can attack almost instantly after using an aerial even if it was a laggier one. So once you get used to it melee starts to feel a lot more responsive. The biggest challenge perhaps is using up tilt and up air without jumping. Up tilt is easier since you can usually just do the up input while you are still using another move and it won't jump. You can't really do this with up air most of the time but that's okay right because you can use the Cstick? Except you can only use the Cstick in versus mode. so you kinda have to learn this.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
5. Were you having trouble on battlefield? Battlefield does that... Additionally, not all characters can grab ledge when they are not facing it. Captain Falcon for example, cannot grab ledge if he jumps facing away from the ledge then falls backwards towards it. You would have to use your Up B to allow yourself to catch ledge.
Nah, I was playing on Fountain of Dreams. That was the only game I lost to my friend tho lol

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
You can use the c stick to charge a smash attack in versus mode if you press and hold :GCA: or :GCZ: at the same time.
For example:
:GCCU:+:GCA: OR :GCZ:

Top Bottom