• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So i DEF have a sonic problem...

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
I have gotten advice about this character before but he is STILL a problem for me.

1. I know projectiles and jabs beat his charge attack and homing attack, but i STILL freeze up or just shield when he comes my way to attack
2. His speed alone scares me and prevents me from making calculated attacks and reactions, i tend to just shield out of fear majority of the time
3. I tend to think his speed out plays all my moves or reactions making it hard for me to dash gran and power shield
4. I just cant f****** stand sonic lol and i cannot develop a real strategy to beat him

I have provided Shaky but clear (1080p) footage via cell phone of my match today against my classmate who plays sonic. Let me know what i can do to improve my chances of winning and what i can do to better mentally prepare myself for his speed because that s*** trips me out EVERY time. Makes me scared to face up against a sonic player and i need to be able to dominate sonic.

Last edited:

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
Sonic is campy, both for him and for you. The sooner this is realized, the easier the matchup is.

You want to get a lead, even a few percent, and force him to approach. Just camp him hard. His approach options are limited and can be punished. If he gets the lead and starts camping, it's going to be hard if you don't have an answer. Bayo can shoot bullets, Cloud charges limit, etc.

Your job is to camp and make him want to come to you. If your an aggressor with a poor approach, he's going to destroy you.

Other things to watch out for is Sonic has bad landing options, you can punish him for these. Dair autocancels from a full height up b, so he can act right away when he lands, but if he doesn't he's vulnerable on his landings.

Last edited:

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Sonic is campy, both for him and for you. The sooner this is realized, the easier the matchup is.

You want to get a lead, even a few percent, and force him to approach. Just camp him hard. His approach options are limited and can be punished. If he gets the lead and starts camping, it's going to be hard if you don't have an answer. Bayo can shoot bullets, Cloud charges limit, etc.

Your job is to camp and make him want to come to you. If your an aggressor with a poor approach, he's going to destroy you.

Other things to watch out for is Sonic has bad landing options, you can punish him for these. Dair autocancels from a full height up b, so he can act right away when he lands, but if he doesn't he's vulnerable on his landings.
With Mario,should i focus on just throwing fireballs and keeping my distance? or should i toss a fireball and approach?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I'll just analyze the replay.

This is what I just saw from watching the match.

Charging f smash from a full screen away is asking to get punished.

Your dash attack approaches are really bad. You even throw the move out outside of it's range.

Stop rolling into his smash attacks, and punish his smash attacks. You could have punished the down smash he did on your shield earlier.

Work on your recovery. The airdodge + fastfall through the ledge was unfortunate.

Consider walking. You run at Sonic a lot and just run into his hitboxes. Also during the first few frames of a run you are locked out of ALL options.

If you shield sonic's dash attack you can punish.

Falling on top of sonic with a fair is i'll-advised. You can easily get punished for that.

If you are in mario discord send them this replay and they can help you more.

If you put some practice in you can easily beat this sonic.

I'm gonna edit this post with timestamps for everything I want to point out, or I'll just make a new post.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
I'll just analyze the replay.

This is what I just saw from watching the match.

Charging f smash from a full screen away is asking to get punished.

Your dash attack approaches are really bad. You even throw the move out outside of it's range.

Stop rolling into his smash attacks, and punish his smash attacks. You could have punished the down smash he did on your shield earlier.

Work on your recovery. The airdodge + fastfall through the ledge was unfortunate.

Consider walking. You run at Sonic a lot and just run into his hitboxes. Also during the first few frames of a run you are locked out of ALL options.

If you shield sonic's dash attack you can punish.

Falling on top of sonic with a fair is i'll-advised. You can easily get punished for that.

If you are in mario discord send them this replay and they can help you more.

If you put some practice in you can easily beat this sonic.

I'm gonna edit this post with timestamps for everything I want to point out, or I'll just make a new post.
PLEASE timestamp it for me lol much appreciated and thanks for the feedback

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
My phone needs to charge before I can finish the analysis. For now I would like it if you could watch this video.

Once you are done with that I reccomend to watch the first 5 videos in the playlist starting with the 5th video about Ike.

I have heard from multiple players that the Ike video is very helpful for learning about how to play the neutral game.

I also think it may help if you could try to convince your group of friends to play on legal stages just in case you decide that you would want to compete at locals, regionals or majors one day. That way you can get used to the stages and the current ruleset.

Last edited:

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
My phone needs to charge before I can finish the analysis. For now I would like it if you could watch this video.

Once you are done with that I reccomend to watch the first 5 videos in the playlist starting with the 5th video about Ike.

I have heard from multiple players that the Ike video is very helpful for learning about how to play the neutral game.

I also think it may help if you could try to convince your group of friends to play on legal stages just in case you decide that you would want to compete at locals, regionals or majors one day. That way you can get used to the stages and the current ruleset.
Where can I find a list of legal smash 4 stages?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Last I saw, Midgar got removed in the recommended ruleset.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
battlefield, fd, smashville, town and city, lylat cruise are starters, meaning they are available in all games of the set.

dreamland and the omega forms of wily castle, palutena's temple, and suzaku castle are counterpicks, meaning they can be picked in all but game 1 of a set.

idk how relevant the set information is since i don't know if you're just playing friendlies

Last edited:

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
Remember about Mario's bread and butter d-throw combos, you can look it up on Youtube, as I don't want to be Captain Obvious.
Also that pause at 3:17 was a clear opening for a grab. Remember, you can grab out of shield, no need to unshield and then grab.
Up-Smash should not be your main damage dealer. As said before, Mario's combos work well even at mid percentages. Don't try to go for forward aerial unless your doing it for spike, as it is to laggy.
It also just seems you don't have high enough reflexes to punish when the time was right, although this could be me.
Just learn all about Mario and practice him.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Remember about Mario's bread and butter d-throw combos, you can look it up on Youtube, as I don't want to be Captain Obvious.
Also that pause at 3:17 was a clear opening for a grab. Remember, you can grab out of shield, no need to unshield and then grab.
Up-Smash should not be your main damage dealer. As said before, Mario's combos work well even at mid percentages. Don't try to go for forward aerial unless your doing it for spike, as it is to laggy.
It also just seems you don't have high enough reflexes to punish when the time was right, although this could be me.
Just learn all about Mario and practice him.
Thats why i am playing more friendlies, trying to get more acclimated with him and dr mario

Nah

Smash Champion
The thing that I got out of reading your OP is that Sonic makes you very uncomfortable. You seem to have some idea as to what you're supposed to do in the MU, but it doesn't translate into your actual play because of the discomfort.

And so, like with most uncomfortable situations in life, the only thing to do is to get more experience in it, so it becomes less uncomfortable and more natural. See if you can find someone who plays Sonic (maybe besides this classmate, but idk who/what's available to you) to practice with, it might help.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
roysrevengefgc roysrevengefgc

Procrasinated on this a lot but finally finished it. I included a thread link at the very bottom that takes you to a comment where I posted a ton of resources to help another player that can help you too. I'll add a few more videos below it too.

Note: A good amount of ths stuff I joted down were mistakes that you kept repeating. Just pointing that out in case reading this long list geta annoying.

0:06 What was that, you could of have shielded or not commited to a button press

0:08 No random smash attacks or smash attacks in neutral please, especially charged. Break the habit.

0:13 The pointless rolling got you punished. There was no need to roll twice, back and forth, let alone roll in the first place. Sonic was across the screen, you could have chose a better option. What move were you afraid of, what unknown diskjoint does Sonic have that can hit full screen?

0:16 Nice punish, if you go to Mariocord they can help you improve that to transform your punish into his bread and butter combos

0:18 Sonic was too high for that up smash. The following shield and roll were unecessary. The roll just put you in disadvantage and is asking the opponent to please punish you.

0:21 Why, why did you run at him and press a button when you were that close to his spin dash? This is the same as the first point I pointed out at the top of the list.

0:23 Know or at least get familiar with the frame data of your moves. You used fair too close the the stage. In addition to that you used a fast fall which brought Mario to the stage in endlag before the attack ever came out. You got punished for it.

0:27 Rolls. Rolls everywhere. Staph, please.

0:32 Bad dash attack. Out of range. You derseve eating that f-smash.

0:35 Another full screen charged f-smash. Great.
0:38 Watch where Sonic is, he was not in range of your up-tilt. Jab, f-tilt, or a dash grab would have worked.

0:41 Random smash attack #3

0:44 Another approaching dash attack, if this Sonic was even good he would have punished your or shielded it and then punish. Then again Mario was slowing down he could of thought that the hitbox was gone and he could have punished you.

0:46 Work on your fair spacing and get familiar with mario's jump. You spaced that move too short but it would have missed regardless due to the airdodge.
The roll after the fair was unecessary as sonic was in endlag from his airdodge.

0:48 You buffered some move and got punihed because's sonic's dash attack hitbox was right in your face.

0:55 The rolls around here were pointless. Sonic was across the stage and could not hit you.

0:56 This is the same as 0:48.

0:59 There was no need to finish the jab combo because sonic was not next to you. I think you just made yourself more punishable by doing that. Although it could have worked if he ran into your attacks.

1:04 You got lucky with that dash attack. If the sonic did not charge f smashes he could of shielded or walked back to avoid the move and punish you.

1:06 The 2nd bair was not needed. Sonic was not in range of being hit.

1:10 Questionable dair. Sonic was not near you until the end and he punished you for it.
1:17 Another roll

1:18 to 1:23 You had no reason to shield since sonic was away from you. Shielding like this tells the opponent that they can approach you and land a free grab because you are scared of them. The ftilt and the up smash when sonic jumped were not needed since he was not close to you.

1:27 Sonic was behind you so the fair was uncalled for.

1:30 That airdodge. All I can say their is learn the game mechanics and when you can grab the ledge. The air dodge was uncalled for, same with the fast fall. After getting hit by sonic you could have drifted away from the stage and focused on snapping the ledge from below with your Super Jump Punch. If you wanted to airdodge onto the stage, you could have done a double jump from below the stage, onto the stage, and buffer airdodge or time it when yoi felt like it was the right time to use it.

1:38 Bad upsmash to me. Sonic was too high. It only would have hit if he daired you.

1:40 to 1:45 Lots of rolling and pointless shielding. You guys basicll put each other in a stalemate, too scared to do anything. If your opponent shields or rolls a-lot you can take a mental note of that and either punish them right then and there for that option or wait until they are in kill percent and risk using a grab or a smash attack wherever you think they will go. You guys gave up a lot of information there (and the entire set) that you two were inexperienced and could be heavily exposed and have your defense shattered by other players.

1:46 Stop approaching with dash attack. It is bad and can get you punished.

1:48 Mis-spaced up smash. I noticed that everytime you guys approach each other, a defensive option or an attack is forced out. You can use this to your asdvantge by just approaching him without attacking, just walk, let him do whatever option he wants to do punish accordingly. If he wants to put himself in disadvantage for free, show him the consequences of his actions.

1:54 Pointless shield and roll. Again sonic cannot hit you from there. If you want to move a little bit, walk instead of roll, and walk instead of run if you are next to your opponent.

1:56 Bad dair. Way too far and you put yourself in endlag for that and got punished.

1:59 Your fair was too close to the stage and sonic was far away. You put yourself in endlg which can get you punished.

2:00 Bad up smash, sonic was too far.

2:04 Same thing ^

2:06 Roll was bad, fireball was good.

2:08 I do not think it was wise to use your double jump there. If sonic wanted, he couls have baired you or use a smash attack to send you far offstage. And since you used your double jump you would not have been able to recover.

2:10 Another roll. If you airdodged before that roll then don't do that please. It gives you no benefits. Just endlag and more time for the sonic to put pressure on you.

2:11 Using cape there would have given you a very low reward, even if you did not take damage. You could have shielded there or chose another option.

2:13 to 2:15 Bad up smash. The roll while sonic was charging f smash was really bad. That showed that you did not know the range of his f smash. That roll even put you in range of his f smash. The proceeding up smash and roll after you shield the f smash were bad also. They were not needed nor was the up smash spaced well. The shield after the up smash was bad also. Sonic was not near you again.

2:19 You carelessly approached sonic again and pressed a button. My guess is dash attack. If you did use that move, then you used it waay to close to sonic.

2:22 Bad air dodge. You had no reason to airdodge ontop of him unless you wanted to take damage. The airdodge would not have save you from the up smash because you were about to the touch the ground in endlag, plus sonic up smash is active for a long time so he would have scooped you up in your endlag.

You also did not need to burn your double jump or approach him in the air. You already just limited your defensive options. Your best bet would have to drift to the ledge and ledge grab it.

2:28 Bad airdodge. Sonic was not clos to you, you were not in danger.

2:30 to 2:32 Badly spaced down smash (learn the range and watch sonic's position in relation to your character). The roll was also pointless too.

2:37 Sonic was not near you for that bair but I could see you were expecting him to jump.

2:38 Bad bair, watch sonic.

2:41 Bad up smash, you used it before sonic even got close to you so there was no way it was going to hit.

2:45 Double jumped did not have to be used. If you airdodged the f smash that close to the ledge you were guaranteed to get hit. Drift to the ledge next time or use cape to stall your landing.

2:49 I'd say it was a bad up smash because you were doing that all game. But the sonic rolled into it and made it look like a hard read. In fact I think that was what you and the sonic were going for all game, hard reads. Nice fludd charge after the kill. Once you rolled to the end of the stage you could have finished charging it.

3:02 Mispaced grab. I know it was a read if he ran toward ya'.

3:07 Useless roll.

3:10 Sonic was not in range of your fair.

3:12 Loved that patience there. Since sonic decided not to move, you couls have walked towards him to slowly gain stage control until he used spin dash out of fear. In response to that you could have shielded or did a reverse up smash (mario head is invincible or intangible during it).

3:16 Airdodge went unpunished but it could have been punished. You used it too early and too far from sonic

3:20 You could have punished sonic after he attacked your shield.

3:21 to 3:24 The grab was not spaced well and again you airdodged sonic's fair when he was far from you. After the f smash he had enough time to run after you to take stage control and pressure you.

3:25 Bad dash attack, mispaced too.

3:32 Roll was not necessary.

3:36 That airdodge was too close the ground and could have been punished sincw at this point it has become really predictable.
3:40 Sonic was below you. The fair would not have hit.

3:41 You attemped to punish dash attack out of shield but got hit by the laat hit of dash attack. Try to learn the timing and how many times a move will hit before you attempt to punish it.

3:43 Bad airdodge.

3:44 to 3:45 You did a bad roll again and after that you git hit by dash attack by hitting a button too close and too late to sonic again.

3:47 Nice airdodge punish by sonic and bad airdodge by you. When you got knocked off offstage, you used your double jump too early. You were high enough above the stage where you did not need it to recover. You then tried to return to stage with a fair. Eithwr you mispaced it or sonic dodged it due to down smash shifting his hurtbox. You then got hit by said down smash and without a double jump you had no way to recover to the stage from that far and that low of an angle so you lost the game.

-

Link: https://smashboards.com/threads/motivation-and-gameplay.452404/#post-21894222

Be careful once he goes into detail because he will be mainly talking about shiek.
So the video might lose you at times.

This video you will have to pause and read a lot, because the text go by so fast.

Link: https://smashboards.com/guides/neutral-game-basics-understanding-controlling-space.791/

This can help i ignored the ratio part.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Every Mario player has a Sonic problem. Never, ever, throw out smash attacks in neutral. That's just asking to be punished. Also, familiarize yourself with Mario's combos.

GokuEllis

Smash Rookie
Sonic has bad landing options, hits soft apart from his smash attacks and is kinda a one trick pony. Expect a lot of spin dashes, grabs and combo set ups. Watch out for his spring also, that can get super annoying.

The biggest thing to do is DI properly against him, because tbh his combos are the only way he’s gonna get any decent damage out of you. His attacks just don’t hit as hard. His back throw is dangerous if you’re near the edge of the map and over 100%, but it won’t guarantee a kill until after about 140.

Spam with that fire mario has. Keep Sonics spin dash away from you. If he hits you, he can very much set up a plethora of combos. He doesn’t go for many smash attacks because Sonics smashes take a minute to charge and have devastating lag.

As fast as sonic is, he’s not very quick. His hits are somewhat sluggish when compared to how fast he runs around. This makes it easier to block him, then as he retracts his hits, you can go for grabs and counter him.

His air attacks are pretty gnarly though, but very dodgable.

He can get KOed pretty easily also, he’s not exactly super heavy.

So... the best advice I have for you is to battle tf out of level 9 sonic bots, try to rematch every sonic on FG or find a friend who mains him (like me lmao). Just get used to him and what most Sonic’s do and you’ll get the hang of it

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Good Sonic players don't spring to get away very often, and gives you stage control. When he springs, run to where he is going to land and Up-Smash. Trust me, as a Sonic player, it will work against an inexperienced Sonic.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I could likely beat that Sonic.

That Sonic you're playing against is very grounded. I don't see any attempts at trying to be in the air, and he's mostly doing f-smash. You don't have to approach when Sonic is throwing f-smash around. You can shoot fireballs when he starts doing that. You can short hop over him and use b-air. You can short hop d-air toward and then back away. You rolled a lot toward Sonic when he was using f-smash. He's stuck there. There's nothing to fear when he does that. If he does a spin dash at you, just block it. It'll force him to start grabbing you, which you could just counter with a jab. If you get grabbed and perform a jab around the same time, you'll break away from the grab.

You're also using dash attacks into Sonic's f-smash. Mario doesn't have to approach using a dash attack. That's probably a poor choice to use anyway. It's useful if the opponent tries to grab onto the ledge, since you can two-frame him. Mario is a grappler, so you'll need to find a way to grab Sonic and set up combos with a down throw. I don't know if Sonic can jump out of a down throw to up tilt, but if he can, you'll just have to go with down throw to up special, since that's guaranteed. Also, you need to stop throwing out f-smashes as well. Honestly, you shouldn't use any smash attacks until your opponent is at high percents. A down throw to u-smash looks like it works early, so feel free to get away with using that.

Top Bottom