• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... how far are we gonna go? (Brawl+)

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Not so long ago, people dreamed of simply being able to dash dance in Brawl.

Now Bowser is getting 1% damage reduction on every move and specific moves are being buffed and people's brains are exploding with the possibilities of specific character balance.

This... troubles me.

I have seen what it means for hordes of players to cry over nerfs or scream for buffs, whether deserved or not, to the point that it is actually impossible to tell what the blazes is going on and what course of action should really be taken. Even with a PC game getting ongoing patches from the company, it often takes a long time, years even, after the game's release for anything resembling balance to appear.

Thus, the "balance" that people playing Brawl+ will want might be YEARS away (especially considering the number of matchups), and when anyone disagrees with the balance they can simply leave it out of their codeset, hurting the unity of the project. Because of the nature of balance, people will inevitably disagree, and because of the size of the task at hand, people will disagree for more or less forever.

Moreover, tiers and unbalance are normal for fighting games, *especially* those with large rosters. Has this prevented their success in any way? Melee certainly was not balanced. Yet, somehow, it kept the attention of many for almost eight years. This staying power, then, must have come from the depth of its fun mechanics, including the infamous wavedash.

So what does all this add up to? Why do I find it troubling?

Because everyone is focusing on these character specific balance changes, and while so far things don't seem too bad, I think it could possibly impede the adoption of a standard and the expansion of the community as a whole. And while yes, balance is important, we already know from Melee that it's not *that* important compared to solid mechanics leading to a deep metagame. Even in Brawl it took half a year before metaknight started getting *really* controversial, and here we are releasing balance changes every week with relatively little discussion beforehand. And the more balance changes there are, the more arbitrary they become, the more room for disagreement that there is, and the more crying about buffs and nerfs. Remember, people will be putting down cash for Brawl+ tournaments, how do you think they will feel when you nerf the character? Or not buff it?

The bottom line: (for the TLDR people)

The line of what balance changes should and shouldn't be in Brawl+ simply doesn't exist right now, but it needs to exist. The longer we go without one the harder it will be to establish one later. Some of the changes that people are talking about right now might be over this line (I personally am not a fan of Bowser's damage reduction, it feels very un-smash-y). Moreover, whatever line you want to establish, some characters are going to suck relative to others.

I dunno. Tell me what you think, I don't know how right I am but I feel that this warrants discussion and no one is discussing it.

BEES

Smash Lord
I think most of the balances that we were looking at have been done at this point.

Some of the balancing came from the physics changes (Falcon and Sonic are noticeably better now). Characters that were clearly still bad were buffed (Bowser, Link), characters that were good were nerfed (Metaknight, Game&Watch), and repetitions will be eliminated (Shiek's ftilt, laserlocking, chaingrab infinities).

After that I agree it tends to turn into pet projects. People start getting the mentality 'eh I don't like that one thing about my character, please change it'. That should not happen, unless it's a physics situation such as their short hop or gravity.

The Cape

Smash Master
We are rewriting the Bowser damage code as is.

Something we are looking forward to doing is to make the characters close and better to play as across the board. The characters will never be enough alike that they all have an equal chance to win in matches. The point is to make this a more tourney viable game, and make it tons more fun to play.

Some of the things arent the most popular things, but I assure you we have a back room group of well informed players (with some extra people coming in as time goes on). This should allow us to bring up a good balanced set that we can at least begin hosting tournaments, and the only changes from there on out should be based upon tourney results.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's a good project, and I see a lot of potential in it. It's also the most fun thing I had ever played since Brawl, it just felt so right to be able to L-Cancel and all that stuff again. Anyway, that's not what this is about. I just hope that the way in which the Brawl+ community changes the game is not going to ruin the dream that one day people would be playing the game in an overall better way.

I hope the people that influence the nerfs/buffs know what they're doing, and realize fighting games are supposed to not having perfect equality. I'm just hoping that everyone decides on one thing, one unified game that everyone can play and not complain a lot.

If anything, people should realize how hard it is to balance games out...It's tough stuff to tell a whole character community that their character is too good or whatever and change them completely.

Good luck people.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
right now I think that the cast is extremely close together in terms of which character is better, but that could be because Brawl+ hasn't been extensively played like Vanilla Brawl has. Beta4 is supposed to finish the physics adjustments for each character. After that, I say we start playing the hell out of this thing, even if we find something else imbalanced. We can maybe go back and change later down the road.

Brawl+ has reached a point where the controls feel tight, the speed is great, and pulling off combos isn't as easy as just spamming openers.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
You mentioned that it might take years to balance every character matchup. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Even with every character having a balanced set of strengths and weaknesses, it can have poor matchups against certain other characters. This is the point of counterpicks. I think we're closer to a reasonable initial balance than you may realize.

As for being afraid that things will get out of hand, well, that's why there's a back room. Give them a little faith, they've been doing alright so far.

Nail

Smash Rookie
TRUE Balance is impossible to achieve... just because there are different characters with different movesets. there will ALWAYS be a top-tier character. But what these people do is trying to close the huge gaps between the characters to a point where every character is in the range of 'competetive'.

person701

Smash Journeyman
right now I think that the cast is extremely close together in terms of which character is better, but that could be because Brawl+ hasn't been extensively played like Vanilla Brawl has. Beta4 is supposed to finish the physics adjustments for each character. After that, I say we start playing the hell out of this thing, even if we find something else imbalanced. We can maybe go back and change later down the road.

Brawl+ has reached a point where the controls feel tight, the speed is great, and pulling off combos isn't as easy as just spamming openers.
TRUE Balance is impossible to achieve... just because there are different characters with different movesets. there will ALWAYS be a top-tier character. But what these people do is trying to close the huge gaps between the characters to a point where every character is in the range of 'competetive'.
Both these posts are very truthful. The first one relates directly to Melee in a way. After 7 years, it's this broken and wold be a very challenging job if anyone wanted to balance it. Problem2's post though is saying, "Work, test, fix, work, test, fix." And not those little, "Ok it works. Moving on." tests; the ones where it's played for months or weeks.

The second post is just the downright truth. Obviously it's impossible to balance a game, especially Smash. But by closing gaps, it feels more balanced.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
You mentioned that it might take years to balance every character matchup. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Even with every character having a balanced set of strengths and weaknesses, it can have poor matchups against certain other characters. This is the point of counterpicks. I think we're closer to a reasonable initial balance than you may realize.
I mention years because when video games do aim for good balance it ends up taking years to reach it. And yeah, I do know that people know that we'll never reach perfect balance, but my question sort of was how much non-perfect people were aiming for.

As for being afraid that things will get out of hand, well, that's why there's a back room. Give them a little faith, they've been doing alright so far.
I guess so... when things start getting to character specific mechanical changes like multiple Ivy Up+Bs I start getting nervous though. Not that I am entirely opposed to that particular mechanical change, but I wonder about slippery slopes and changing some of the "soul" of Brawl.

But it looks like the backroom has some good leadership going on. As long as you guys don't do something incredibly silly I guess things will turn out all right.

Thanks for the comments guys. =X

ryanmercland

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree with the poster of this thread. Brawl + is something left entirely up to the player. I really wish it werent because things get out of hand or never really get in hand. First of all changing any characters attributes is ridiculous. Challenge yourself for a change! Playing smash god is ok to a certain extent but adjusting a character to your personal liking is completely wrong. We are forgetting what we are playing Smash for in the first place. ITS A COMPETITIVE GAME!

Secondly Im all for Brawl+ development. Its great but when are we going to leave the excess codes alone and just start playing competitvely? Until we find a specific code set Brawl+ tournaments wont ever come into fruition. Its very hard for people to watch vids with different specific code sets and attribute adjustments to each player's liking. Im thinking wow theres the allure of Brawl+ going straight out the window. Why cant we just find a universal set of codes already? A perfect blend of codes that all can admire and relate to and want to get good at. Once the code breakers started releasing hitstun codes they were already taking it too far, but thats my opinion. I use a small number of codes a perfect blend and I have already developed a solid tier list Ill be realesing aswell.

I would like to know if there is a firm code set the majority Of Brawl+ players use and what it is currently?
Also is there a Brawl+ tier list yet? And if so are the codes posted on it?

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I totally agree with the poster of this thread. Brawl + is something left entirely up to the player. I really wish it werent because things get out of hand or never really get in hand. First of all changing any characters attributes is ridiculous. Challenge yourself for a change! Playing smash god is ok to a certain extent but adjusting a character to your personal liking is completely wrong. We are forgetting what we are playing Smash for in the first place. ITS A COMPETITIVE GAME!

Secondly Im all for Brawl+ development. Its great but when are we going to leave the excess codes alone and just start playing competitvely? Until we find a specific code set Brawl+ tournaments wont ever come into fruition. Its very hard for people to watch vids with different specific code sets and attribute adjustments to each player's liking. Im thinking wow theres the allure of Brawl+ going straight out the window. Why cant we just find a universal set of codes already? A perfect blend of codes that all can admire and relate to and want to get good at. Once the code breakers started releasing hitstun codes they were already taking it too far, but thats my opinion. I use a small number of codes a perfect blend and I have already developed a solid tier list Ill be realesing aswell.

I would like to know if there is a firm code set the majority Of Brawl+ players use and what it is currently?
hi, welcome to brawl+

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I use a small number of codes a perfect blend and I have already developed a solid tier list Ill be realesing aswell.

How can you say that you've developed a tier list with the codes you use if they haven't been put into the tournament spotlight? There's no way that your tier list will be even remarkably close to accurate.

So you're playing with the "perfect blend" of codes, yet, I can only imagine what those are. The brawl+ community, by and large, consider the Brawlplussery releases to be the "perfect blend." Yes, the codes that are active affect tiers as they impact the characters, so the tier will be based on the finalized code set. There's really no point in the world for you to "release" your tier list as it is moot. It won't match anyone's codes, and even if it does, it still has no tourney backing so it's utterly pointless.

That's nothing utterly wrong with tweaking characters. You claim that we forget we're playing Smash, a competitive game. I hate to break it to you, but vBrawl is not as competitive as Brawl+. In addition, balancing characters a bit is important, it truly mixes things up. What's so bad about giving Bowser thick skin, speeding up the use of Ivy's, ZSS's, and Samus's projectiles? They aren't that good. What's the problem with adding a lag to MK's downsmash, or tweaking his whorenado? We're making changes that the community deems necessary changes. I don't see how that's a problem. It has worked for so many PC games before it, so why can't it work here, now?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Orca, the issue with constant tweaking is knowing exactly what to tweak, and how often (big surprise there). I think the majority of old-school Melee smashers can agree that removing tripping, adding in dashdancing, and adding in hitstun is nothing less than a godsend.

But once you get beyond the really obvious stuff, then it becomes murky with all kinds of shades of grey--should Bowser be a few percentage points heavier? Should Pikachu's chaingrab stay in? Because once you start addressing character specific issues (as opposed to engine issues), then you move from the realm of necessity into the realm of personal preference. And personal preference is rarely objective.

What I will say is that people who are worried about a "slippery slope" are unnecessarily getting their panties in a bunch. I'm fairly certain that the people generating the Brawl+ codes aren't idiots. And while they may not be as ingenious and experienced as, say, the people at Blizzard constantly patching Starcraft, I imagine that they know what they're doing.

Since Brawl+ is going to go from beta to gold very soon, I think what needs to happen is to release a finalized version. Screw the tweaking. After all, the engine is what needed fixing the most, and since that's addressed, character-specific tweaks can be done at a later date. After all, Melee DESPERATELY needed its fair share of character-specific tweaks, but we got around that. (PAL aside, anyways)

Once a finalized version is out, just let the community play with it. Release patches in a predetermined interval (bi-annually, each quarter, etc.) so the community can mark down patch releases on their calendar and keep up. The Brawl+ coders will get feedback (and hopefully listen to the more justified requests) and patch accordingly.

Again, the issue of a slippery slope shouldn't bother anyone. So long as the community keeps tabs on what the Brawl+ coders are doing and are constantly giving feedback through tourney usage, then we'll end up with a game that's infinitely better than what that fool Sakurai intended.

My two cents.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I think that once everyone's in the rough A tier range and the set goes gold, then public releases should be updated once every month. Internal testing, however, should be continuous and organic, always incrementally tweaking and testing.

Basically, not unlike how we've been releasing these Betas, but over a course of a month rather than a couple days.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Ultimately, we want character balance so good that a tier list is not needed. Only character matchup advantages would exist. All characters become viable and brawl+ becomes more about counter picking than tiers

Green'n'Clean

Smash Cadet
If we are going to take balance further, we need tournaments. Once momentum is done and Brawl+ has gone gold, we really shouldn't patch it that often. It takes a while for the meta-game to mature.
It's also pretty frustrating to have to apply a new code-set every month. Many people simply aren't as into hacking as the people on this board. I'd recommend patching it twice a year max. So basically, we need tournaments to know what to change, and having to patch your game with the methods currently available isn't something we want everyone to do that often.

Top Bottom