• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how exactly is his Nair an approach?

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
I either only land 1 kick or just go through, over, or not far enough. I have more luck with the knee and the Uair, specifically after a Raptor Boost or grab.

Narpas_sword

"specifically after a raptor boost or grab" means youre talking about a followup, not an approach.

Im not a falcon player, but one uses nair to approach my samus a lot.

Nair is good at blocking my missiles, while letting falcon get in.
It has a good reach on it, meaning you can space it to hit with the toes and be fairly safe if the opponent shields.

As far as only landing one kick, or going through, the timing is up to you to learn and refine.
a 1 kick nair is good too.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Nair is one of Falcon's best moves, hands down.

What you want to do is try to space it so that only your tippy toes hit them. That way you are a safe distance that you can hit them safely. If you they end up shielding, you're far enough away that they cant punish you out of shield for hitting them on block. Your Nair also outranges a lot of characters and also outprioritizes a lot of moves (ex: Fox and Falco Nair) when you capitalize on the range of his Nair.

Sometimes overshooting your Nair so you go through their shield and land behind them is a good idea for a mix up.

Don't fast fall too early so that you can get both kicks out. Single hit Nair is good sometimes too though.

Watch videos of Gahtzu's Falcon in PM, especially his set against M2K.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman

What you want to do is try to space it so that only your tippy toes hit them. That way you are a safe distance that you can hit them safely. If you they end up shielding, you're far enough away that they cant punish you out of shield for hitting them on block. Your Nair also outranges a lot of characters and also outprioritizes a lot of moves (ex: Fox and Falco Nair) when you capitalize on the range of his Nair.

Sometimes overshooting your Nair so you go through their shield and land behind them is a good idea for a mix up.

Don't fast fall too early so that you can get both kicks out. Single hit Nair is good sometimes too though.

So wait what if Marth shields? You can't grab him and he can just Fair or Tilt you away...
How do you approach smart Marths?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
So wait what if Marth shields? You can't grab him and he can just Fair or Tilt you away...
How do you approach smart Marths?
It's safe on Marth's shield because of the distance of your Nair when spaced correctly because you won't get grabbed.

Marth is a bit trickier. Considering you should only be approaching when it's safe to do so, better and better players will be able to stuff you when you try to approach out of the blue. With that in mind you really need to bait/trick your opponents into give you an opportunity. You're also looking for habits from you opponent. You can get stuffed trying to approach with Nair against Marth because of his disjointed hitbox, but if you dash dance in and out of range, you can get in with a nair when he whiffs.

Approach -> shield -> wd oos -> grab is a great way to punish Marth's that are angsty to throw out moves when you approach them.

You can also raptor boost when Marth's SH Fair, you'll scoop right under.

Marth vs Falcon is definitely a mu where whoever commits first is probably going to get bopped.

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
While I have you guys here, how exactly does B reversal work specifically? I notice that if I press B then hold the stick, I turn the punch, but if I jump after dashing, smash the stick and hit B, not to execute a side-special, it reverses. I hear this can be done multiple times though? I've tried and I can't seem to get the hang of it, exactly how is it made to work?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you can also jab after an l canceled nair to stay safe on shield, or at least from shield grabs. the fact that the gentlemen (jabs 1 & 2, then the knee hit, w/out the rapid jabs) is wayyyyy easier to perform in melee makes your shield pressure easier. try varying up the amount of hits from your jab sequence that you go through, and rolling away/DD away after different hits in order to keep your opponent guessing.

While I have you guys here, how exactly does B reversal work specifically? I notice that if I press B then hold the stick, I turn the punch, but if I jump after dashing, smash the stick and hit B, not to execute a side-special, it reverses. I hear this can be done multiple times though? I've tried and I can't seem to get the hang of it, exactly how is it made to work?
if you are talking about turning around the falcon punch, then that is not b reversing. you can turn around your punch up to 4 times i think, simply by pressing the opposite direction quickly enough before the punch comes out. b reversing, on the other hand, is only useful when you have momentum in some direction, and you peform a special move, and imediately smash the control stick in the opposite direction of which you are moving. you get a burst of momentum in the direction you smashed to and the move is performed. it usually acts as a mobility or spacing tool.

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
Doing the 720 falcon punch I usually do the timing when falcon looks straight and brings his fist over

for example I would jump and press b and do an easy 180 turn but as soon as he turns his head and faces the other way then he brings his fist around the same time he turns his head that's when I switch it. It seems to work fairly ganons 720 was much easier because he had a sound that played when you could easily recognize.

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice

There are so many different hitboxes to hit with nair especially for combo extenders. Hitting with his crotch is super super good. And his ass of nair is uber good as well.

Zhook

Smash Rookie
It's all spacing and the speedof your approach.If you just dash madly at them, you're gonna go flying threw them and maybe land one of the kicks.

Lil Bucket Hat

Smash Apprentice
Nair is an approach tool but just cause it is doesn't mean you can go flying across PS or any other stage with it and not expect consequences. If your nairs aren't working, chill on em a bit and spaced instant uair or dd instead, bruh

Last edited:
Top Bottom