• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how does everyone feel about Mario?

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
Do you feel like he’s stronger? Just ok? I personally feel like his range some how got, worse some how. His cape is really weird now and with the removal of multiple air dodges makes being off-stage even more dangerous.

I dunno I’m putting most of my focus on :ultdaisy: atm.

Lamsauce

Smash Rookie
Mario is definitely more difficult to play in Ultimate compared to Smash 4.

He still has some combos, but as far as I know, they don't extend and push as much damage on the opponent as much as they used to. His cape is different, which kinda throws me off at times as well. It's hard to get in with his moves sometimes, especially since everyone's faster and maybe movement might not be as accurate as you'd like it to be just yet. So a slight mis-space with a dtilt or grab could lead to you being punished.

Recovering to stage is hard, I agree, but I think that goes for any character in this game tbh. Cape stalling still works when trying to recover from above imo.

I don't think Mario's bottom tier though, people are still figuring him out, and I think he'd be at least B tier. No less than that imo.

I love Mario but you'll have a hard time finding any crazy good Mario's in this game since his difficulty is higher.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I would say that Mario is still a good character. His combos work pretty well, and while down throw is way nerfed, his up throw is buffed so his combos off of throws still work overall. Up-air still works well, and all of his aerials are useful. Heck, Zenyou has found a way to turn the f-air spike into a combo move somehow already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GryxZtancxM

He still has issues with swords and long range, especially if that sword character is fast (like Marth and Meta Knight) but Mario is still a solid character who is definitely capable of winning tournaments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4_bnDefA_0

I would say at this point, Mario is probably at the lower end of high tier...a strong mid tier character at worst.
It's nice to see that he's still solid, since Mario has always been one of my characters.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Mario actually functions far better overall in ultimate than smash 4 imo.

They fixed his dair, dtilt, fireball, jab, and buffed bair to give a momentum burst when rising which lets it beat all sorts of moves it didn't before. (Plus it's stronger and hits lower)

My only concern is his future ledge coverage. Mario doesn't really have the ability to bully with raw frame data now that everyone's has improved. So his only safe way to punish overly defensive/spacing opponents is FLUDD. So his placement will largely depend on how we advance his ledge coverage in the future.

Ultimate has given him some new tools, like Ledge Cape, Dash Jab, and Dtilt no longer glitched so it allows combos into bair. But it's still nothing too scary at this time, I think.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Mario definitely feels a lot harder to play than Smash 4. His combos are harder to start up, his grab is laggier (I know it's the same for everyone), but I love that Mario has more approach options due to the new dash mechanics (running ftilt, running dtilt). While I still think Mario has trouble approaching reliably, it's nice for him to have new options. With that said, I also love the new movement options Mario has. He can still turn around and then dash forward immediately like the last game. He can dash dance (but it's not the best though). Overall, still solid. Still going to play him despite the combo nerfs, but I'm at least glad that Up-airs to Up-B are a lot more deadly now due to not only the airdodge change, but the fact that Up-B can now kill on top.

Damn that footage of Zenyou is nuts. Definitely gives me hope for Mario.
Yeah. Zenyou seems to now be the early leader of Mario's Ultimate meta as of now. Ally went back to his :ultsnake:.

Mariomaniac

Smash Rookie
Mario definitely feels a lot harder to play than Smash 4. His combos are harder to start up, his grab is laggier (I know it's the same for everyone), but I love that Mario has more approach options due to the new dash mechanics (running ftilt, running dtilt). While I still think Mario has trouble approaching reliably, it's nice for him to have new options. With that said, I also love the new movement options Mario has. He can still turn around and then dash forward immediately like the last game. He can dash dance (but it's not the best though). Overall, still solid. Still going to play him despite the combo nerfs, but I'm at least glad that Up-airs to Up-B are a lot more deadly now due to not only the airdodge change, but the fact that Up-B can now kill on top.

Yeah. Zenyou seems to now be the early leader of Mario's Ultimate meta as of now. Ally went back to his :ultsnake:.
I know supposedly everyone’s grabs are worse because of the mechanics of the game, but I think mario got it a little worse than others. I was reading the wiki changes from smash 4 and a lot of characters have noted on whether their grabs had increased ending lag. I’m not sure if that’s extra on top of a universal change or if not have the lag mentioned means that character got lucky and kept their grab.

Mario got whole 6 frames of end lag on his grabs which was pretty brutal honesty, I didn’t see the same change for doc or ness and they feel quite faster. I think that change hurts a lot given the little compensation he received in return. His combos still look solid but possibly only slightly worse. That grab lag is the most frustrating change though, specifically for Mario. It almost may as well be a tether grab at point imo, i hope it gets patched

Mariomaniac

Smash Rookie
faster start up on cape with increased range, decreasing his grab lag, and ideally giving him his down throw back could really bring Mario a long way.

But I wonder if Nintendo might have intentionally wanted Mario to be average based on the changes with him. It would be in line with how he is other games (average and well rounded) killing down throw and giving less incentive to grab were some of his VERY exceptional qualities that made his otherwise solid moves look so impressive imo

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
I know supposedly everyone’s grabs are worse because of the mechanics of the game, but I think mario got it a little worse than others. I was reading the wiki changes from smash 4 and a lot of characters have noted on whether their grabs had increased ending lag. I’m not sure if that’s extra on top of a universal change or if not have the lag mentioned means that character got lucky and kept their grab.

Mario got whole 6 frames of end lag on his grabs which was pretty brutal honesty, I didn’t see the same change for doc or ness and they feel quite faster. I think that change hurts a lot given the little compensation he received in return. His combos still look solid but possibly only slightly worse. That grab lag is the most frustrating change though, specifically for Mario. It almost may as well be a tether grab at point imo, i hope it gets patched
His grab feels so awful honestly I feel like I miss my grab by like an inch when I dash grab.

He can combo out of up throw so I’m not too bent outta shape. But his grab is so hard to hit

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
His grab feels so awful honestly I feel like I miss my grab by like an inch when I dash grab.

He can combo out of up throw so I’m not too bent outta shape. But his grab is so hard to hit
His grab range is nerfed, but it's better than it is in Brawl. His grab range in Brawl makes his grabs nearly useless because he can never land the grab in the first place.

Kulty

Smash Ace

Don't read SmashWiki. It's not reliable at this point since the game came out just about two weeks ago. I know how it feels. You have to be so much smarter and so careful when you want to attempt getting a grab with Mario now. It's so frustrating when you miss the grab along with getting the grab. You don't get much reward off of it anymore due to the low hitstun (but super-heavy weights are fine). We just have to get used to it. I still think Mario is fine, but I think he's going to suffer a lot in the long run, because of how similar his playstyle is from Smash 4 and people already adapted to him from the last game.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
My guess right now is that Mario will be a solid mid-tier character, similar to how he is in Project M. He's not a top tier like in Smash 4 and his grab is nerfed, but he's still got strong aerial combos, and his down tilt is legit strong now. When up tilt got nerfed, down tilt got buffed. When down throw got nerfed, up throw got buffed. While his up air is a little shorter, it is still a solid combo tool. And, his forward air is better than in past games. Mario still functions the same and I expect him to be at least half-viable. Solid mid-tier at worst, high tier at best.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i think its a shame thst he still has the same old victory animations that feel do un mario

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As I Mario main since 64, I demand that Sakurai (or technically his balance team) give us Smash 4 Mario back! And keep the small buffs! Mario for S.

Top Bottom