• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how do you combo/deal with Yoshi as Mario?

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
Every Yoshi main swears “You can Combo Yoshi” when getting in on him as Mario is hands down the most ridiculously difficult thing I’ve come up against in Smash Ultimate so far.

Try to Uair him? Dair/Down B/ or even Nair

Try to go for a grab? Jab. Short Hop Nair.

Try to be passive? Constant pressure and you can’t do much about it.

You can barely keep him off you with your own jab and fire balls because of how fast he is.

People said “exploit his recovery”. Which would be possible if you could catch him.

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
I have the same problem, but I find yoshi hard to deal with any non-swordsman. They also buffed his eggs and now it's hard as **** to outspam him.

Nubby

Smash Cadet
With Yoshi, you want to bait these. Yoshi is a weird character to combo due to him having so many options to escape out of shield and in combos. Up air combos seem to work against Yoshi at mid percents though. Also, dealing with Yoshi is like what I said, baiting out his moves. Space Yoshi out with back airs and up smashes. Finally, don't run into f-tilt combos.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Definitely aim more for bairs and bthrows vs yoshi.

Even IF you can guess his option after a throw for uair, you'd only get one at most. So bthrow is more guaranteed damage. Also, bthrow puts yoshi in a worse position than u/dthrow. (And even fthrow imo. The higher angle doesn't let him just fall below lip and recover with eggs)

Note: Bthrow does the exact same damage as dthrow + uair.

Also, don't try fludding him unless it's in neutral to gain stage control, or he's totally out of resources. With his jump, and eggs, it generally just helps him. And it'd be better to bair him out of this.

In general, Mario isn't that great at edgeguarding yoshi. But he is good at forcing him to grab ledge, and then punishing him for it with cape/dashattack/fireball.

Cape is nice since it covers just ledge, or egg toss. But dash attack also lowers mario's hurtbox so it can work well too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom