• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... ftilt.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a solid niche for this move. It's clearly meant to be a spacing/"get off me" style attack that can also create positional advantage a la Marth and Roy's ftilts, but the abysmal BKB (20 tip, 10 sourspot) destroys much of the attack's potential value. It's a low-reward attack with unexceptional frame data (better endlag than the aforementioned, but still very punishable and with less coverage), yet it's CCable for a long time: it breaks ASDI down on Marth at 37% and true CC at 82% (the latter thanks to its 100 KBG). Meanwhile Roy's sourspot ftilt breaks ASDI down at 4% and CC at 74%. While I do think Roy's sourspot BKB is too high (it's identical to the sweetspots, which is unusual and should probably be dropped to 30~40 BKB), Mewtwo's is far too low across the board. I'd like to see BKB for both sweet and sourspot hitboxes increased in a future update, with KBG reduced slightly to compensate. While ftilt would still be very niche, this would at least give it situational value over a wider range of percents.

Also please make jab1 hit on frame 5 or 6 with compensated IASA :(

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
whenever youre talking about people CCing a move, its typically in a neutral situation. m2s ftilt is not meant to be an approach move, and since there is relative counter play with CCing it, i wouldnt use it in a situation where an opponent is open to CCing options. its like falco. his ftilt is not meant to approach with. however, you can frequently see falcos using ftilt to secure edge guards, or knock someone away at the ledge at higher percents. i only cite him because its an example that can be seen in tons of melee footage already. I will add this however, many moves that get beat by CCing can still be useful in neutral, because in order to CC properly, it typically involves you actually crouching, or at least predicting that youll need to be holding down (to perform ASDI). this generally means that youll be either sacrificing a lot of mobility by holding down, or youll be making a very selective read on holding down, which can mean that you get punished harder if you've made the wrong read. many of m2s normals and aerials are very quick, and when combined with other options he has that beat CCing (nair, grab, and fair for the most part), trying to rely on holding down reactionally to m2 might not be the best option, as you might be DIing teriibly by holding down if he does another thing besides ftilt.

in terms of comparing to roy and marth, i know its tough to see their ftilts have much better KB data, especially for their range and coverage, but its tough to compare directly to them because m2 is an entirely different character. compared to them, hes got an incredible recovery, good combo break capabilities, a projectile, and arguably better control of space on aerial opponents (including an aerial vertical killer, which neither roy nor marth have). it might not make sense for m2 to have a move like roys ftilt when hes designed to function in a different manor. also, m2s ftilt is on frame 6, whereas the close hitboxes of roys ftilt come out on frame 8, and the move has overall higher endlag. also, roys tipper ftilt hits at a high angle, whereas m2s has a much better angle can that can secure gimps from onstage.

if youre asking for my opinion, id say the niche for m2s ftilt is for use on the ledge. it gives him a quick, rewarding option at a good range to secure edge guards, just like falcos ftilt.

in terms of his jab, i actually think its really good. its actually got really good disjoint if you check it out in debug mode. when considering how tall he is, its a solid option to deal with SHFFL approaches on many characters. its kinda like DDDs and zeldas, where you have heavily disjointed jabs that are supposed to function with additional space coverage.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
I generally use this move angled downward to edgeguard certain recoveries. It can cover all but the cleanest spacie SideB sweetspots if you're not able to woop to ledge in time. It is VERY situational...but Mewtwo has a lot of great moves as is, so I don't really mind it much.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
whenever youre talking about people CCing a move, its typically in a neutral situation.
Not always. Mewtwo's grounded kit is relatively vulnerable to CC, so it's a good counterplay option in more than just neutral situations. You mentioned fair and nair further down, but those are spaced very differently from his grounded normals and have different functions. Nair comes into play kind of (it "beats" CC by virtue of the different timings at which you could HC it, making punishment windows ambiguous, but good SDI potentially gets them away from the ledge so it's not something you should really use there), fair not so much in the situations where you'd ftilt. Dash grab definitely comes into play, but you have to commit a bit harder for that and it puts the opponent in a slightly different position. Still a rewarding option, mind.

A small increase in BKB and accompanying reduction in KBG would still net modest reward from ftilt in most situations/percents, it simply reduces the ranges at which you're actually punished for using it and makes it more viable in the mid percent range. It's not really a kill move for Mewtwo, so any potential change in kill percents is negligible.

m2s ftilt is not meant to be an approach move, and since there is relative counter play with CCing it, i wouldnt use it in a situation where an opponent is open to CCing options. its like falco. his ftilt is not meant to approach with. however, you can frequently see falcos using ftilt to secure edge guards, or knock someone away at the ledge at higher percents.
Falco's ftilt also has less startup, more active frames, better endlag, no sourspot hitboxes, is complimented by a frame one move that breaks CC at zero, etc. It works within the context of his kit. Mewtwo's has a clear intended purpose, but its properties (of which CC was meant to be illustrative rather than the core issue) limit its use and give preference to other options in some situations where you might expect ftilt to be a relatively important tool.

in terms of comparing to roy and marth, i know its tough to see their ftilts have much better KB data, especially for their range and coverage, but its tough to compare directly to them because m2 is an entirely different character.
Moves do not exist in a vacuum. Their ftilts have similar design and intended function within their kit. You also had no difficulty comparing to Falco previously when he is relatively far removed from any of these characters in design. I specifically chose Marth and Roy because of their relative similarities (and to point out another example of Roy's overbuffed sourspots).

I already discussed factors that offset differences in frame data such as hitbox coverage, Roy's extra range and potent inner hitboxes, etc. To be clear, I'm proposing that Mewtwo's sweetspot ftilt be only moderately more effective than either character's sourspot hits. Something like 40/70 knockback (numbers out of nowhere woo!) to make ASDI down less rewarding (poorly spaced hits would still be very punishable) and true CC slightly (only slightly) less so, but still an option at moderate to high percents depending on weight.

in terms of his jab, i actually think its really good.
Jab1 certainly has its uses, but it also has enough built-in counterplay to make 8 frames startup rather excessive. Zelda and D3 by comparison also have even more disjoint and range; D3's has the most range of the three while Zelda's has substantial active frames due to its multihit nature (and it's safe on shield). To be fair though, frame 5 is dreaming. Frame 6 would be fine, even frame 7 perhaps. Frame 8 feels like a Melee holdover that's yet to be addressed.

I generally use this move angled downward to edgeguard certain recoveries. It can cover all but the cleanest spacie SideB sweetspots if you're not able to woop to ledge in time.
Literally no coverage below the stage is kind of a problem there. I don't really care to base a move's viability on my opponent playing poorly. While there are a few recoveries for which it's a legitimately good option, he has other options that are better in those same situations so it still ends up being subpar. Its best use right now is setting up edgeguards near the ledge and even so the counterplay is just that slight bit too strong. It's almost there, just not quite yet.

The idea isn't so much to buff Mewtwo as to make a couple of outliers fit more naturally within his kit. My biggest issue with 3.5's adjustments to Mewtwo (as stated when the patch dropped) is that he's an incredibly difficult character to play now, to the point where most people and even most Mewtwo mains lack a working knowledge of what he's really capable of and much of his potential may never be fully explored (not due to laziness, but sheer impracticality/required precision). Removing free stuff like telehover was good and we all knew it was coming; while what's left is still quite potent it's also rather difficult to work with. While 20XX is theoretically interesting, and I do love me some theorycrafting, he could stand to be more accessible. These are just some small, simple changes that fit within that goal. Other potential changes include things like adjusting his jump/fall animations so that he can perfect waveland moving forwards, adjusting Teleport's ECB behavior (animation?) to make AC tech realistically viable (still difficult, but not to the insanity of 1~3 degree input windows as it is right now... maybe ~5 degrees?), allowing him to teleport through platforms he's standing on (why is this still not a thing?), etc. Will he need compensating nerfs? Sure, but if anything making those changes puts the PMDT in a better position for further adjustments because we'll all have a better grasp on his kit, testers and balancers included. Maybe we'll even put that kit to good use.

Last edited:

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Frame 8 jab is really problematic. Our grab comes out faster than our jab. What. I'm also wondering if the frame perfect djc telehover stuff is gonna make it into 3.6, (since it's pretty evident that it wasn't intentional and I've heard that MK's cape drift is getting axed). Tech like that can discourage people from picking up M2, but I don't think that he really needs to be any easier than he currently is. He's weird and difficult and technically demanding but that's part of what makes him so much fun to play.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I would be shocked if DJC telehover survived the transition to 3.6. That said it's worth noting that DJC telehovers are within the realm of consistent execution, especially if you have tap jump on. The primary reason I'm yet to be fully convinced that teleAC isn't at this point is because I have no hard data (scientific studies on human precision in heavily limited timeframes using comparable devices etc) with which to support my theory. I have only my findings in Dolphin plus my own anecdotal experience: I've been grinding teleACs for about a year now (don't remember when exactly I first learned about them, but it was before I signed up here) and am yet to attain anything remotely close to technical competence on even a single stage. Competence on all stages, with their myriad layouts, or even the ability to simply teleAC at will from air to ground at any angle... That is an extraordinarily high bar. Nobody's remotely close to achieving that and I no longer have much reason to believe they ever will now that I have concrete data on teleAC input windows. Admittedly quite a reversal from my previously vocal position of encouraging people to master everything that teleACs offer - and honestly I'd still love to see someone prove me wrong and do so. I just don't think it's actually going to happen.

To be clear, I'm not saying Mewtwo's ATs should be made easier across the board. Only teleACs. I don't want to just theorycraft what's beyond the surface, I want to explore it and have both myself and others put it all to use. The other changes are intended mostly to ease his skill floor, make his kit function in a more natural manner (mitigating situations in which an intuitively "correct" option is excessively punishable or does not function as expected), or remove subtle inconsistencies in his kit (his perfect waveland for example).

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
After reflecting on this a bit more, I'm going to retract the TeleAC suggestion. Any compensatory changes I tested resulted in either overcentralization regarding the TeleAC AT or nerfed the AT's utility significantly across the board. While fully tapping the ability may not be completely practical in its current state, making effective use of what we can reliably execute gives it an acceptable presence within the context of his movement tools and is a reasonably "good" option in terms of character design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom