• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So can we talk about dash dancing?

Is dash dancing in Smash 4 useful?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarkestLaugh

Smash Rookie
I've seen a few vods where the commentators act shocked that someone dash dances in Smash 4. I've known for awhile that you can. It is admittedly harder to do than it is in Melee, but it's still pretty easy.

What I want to talk about though is how useful it actually is. Because you have a much smaller window to dash back before you slide, so you practically stand still, just quickly cycling stances.

So what are your thoughts? Is dash dancing in Smash 4 useful? Or is it just flashy?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I think it is useful. It may just seem flashy if players only use in in a match when they knock their opponent offstage, in a button check match, or when they take a stock from their opponent. For me I struggle with dash dancing with it is used in the neutral and not too far from my character.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I think it's just one of those flashy "Look at what I can do" things in Sm4sh; however...

It can be of some use when it comes to confusing or baiting your opponent into reacting. You'd be surprised by what seems to trigger people in Smash, especially in the online modes. A simple dash dance can put the right salty player on tilt, and it can also make you slightly harder to read too. They may not understand what you're trying to do by doing a dash dance or may not suspect what might come after it. I guess it really just depends on how you use it, but I don't think there's much use for it though.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Standard Dash Dancing can be useful, not anything that's pretty essential like in Melee but the confusion it can place on a opponent can occasionally work. Mr. R has recently started to DD on missed ground techs and it's been working for him to throw off the opponent allowing him to chase easier. I think if people find ways to implement it in thier play as another option it will help more than it hurts but it's still just not as good as it was in Melee.

Now Extended Dash Dancing on the other hand is a great tool to bait, condition and make your character a lot more moblie than they actually are if they benefit from it. It's not essential eithe but for some characters it really helps thier game out like Falcon and Roy, in Falcon's case he can use his amazing EDD to feign offense and punish retaliation with his dash grab.

DarkestLaugh

Smash Rookie
I'm really thankful for your input, guys. This has actually been pretty helpful. I will probably continue to dash dance just because it feels nice, but to get a practical use out of it might be kinda hard. So I will try not to over do it.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
normal dash dancing isn't all that useful, but extended dash dancing is very good for characters like Marth/Lucina/Roy and Falcon (also looks like Melee dash dance)

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
"Now Extended Dash Dancing on the other hand is a great tool to bait, condition and make your character a lot more moblie than they actually are if they benefit from it. It's not essential eithe but for some characters it really helps thier game out like Falcon and Roy, in Falcon's case he can use his amazing EDD to feign offense and punish retaliation with his dash grab."

Thiss. Listen to this.

And watch this.

DarkestLaugh

Smash Rookie
"Now Extended Dash Dancing on the other hand is a great tool to bait, condition and make your character a lot more moblie than they actually are if they benefit from it. It's not essential eithe but for some characters it really helps thier game out like Falcon and Roy, in Falcon's case he can use his amazing EDD to feign offense and punish retaliation with his dash grab."

Thiss. Listen to this.

And watch this.

Literally this. This what I needed in my life. Especially as a Marth main.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Dash Dancing on it's own is basically just a method of applying aesthetic pressure (it doesn't really to anything but it looks like it does) during tech chase situations or mixing up which direction you will get off the Smashvile platform from. Extend Dash Dancing has tons of uses (see the video linked above) and can be canceled into a Perfect Pivot or F-smash as well as stalled or mixed up with regular dash dancing.

RobC

Smash Rookie
What advantage does Dash Dancing give a player that standing still doesn't?

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
What advantage does Dash Dancing give a player that standing still doesn't?
like I said, nothing. It just looks like your doing something but because of how fast it visually looks it applies pseudo-pressure to people who don't see though that.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
I think it can be looked at the same way as Standing still/ walking very slow.

The only differerence is that while you can't tilt out of it without PPs or other advanced techniques, you can bait your opponent to do something by making him think you're going to dash in, then delaying whatever you want to do by stalling a split second.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
Dash dancing can do alot. You can use it for movement, spacing, mind games and even taunting or styling. Faster characters like Sonic and Falcon benefit from Dash Dancing, as well as sword characters or zoners like marth, cloud and toon link.

Top Bottom